• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Byron Smith convicted of premeditated murder of two teens during home break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
What don't I get? If he didn't perform the kill shots and had instead called the cops after incapacitating the first kid, the kid would likely still be alive and the second one would have been caught by the police and would definitely still be alive. Therefore the kill shots are by definition the point where he committed the crime.
It is the premeditation. The intent to lure & kill.

Even if neither kid died, I think a Minnesota jury would have convicted him of something else because intentionally tried to lure kids in to shoot them.

And, to me, a key thing is, these people were not home invaders in the classic sense. It's one thing to enter a residence armed knowing that the people were home. What happened here is a couple of teenage criminals cased a home to ensure it was empty before breaking in, not suspecting that it had been made to look empty and that someone was inside lying in wait.

He hadn't suffered home invasions. People had nicked his stuff when he was out, hence the whole setup to make the house look empty. These weren't home invaders. They were unsuspecting thieves committing a breaking and entry.

Exactly! He didn't fear for his life. If he really feared for his life he would not be trying to lure them in!

Just stating the facts. He was wrong and they were not innocent victims.

in many cases when it comes to murder, the victims aren't innocent. it's not a consideration in the murder trial and it shouldn't be. you don't get to go around killing criminals for being criminals. criminals still have a right to live. even in states with the death penalty, these criminals would never have even come near facing it for their crimes on that night.

that they were criminals does not remotely justify their murder.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Not surprising that it's completely lost on the bloodthirsty in this thread that a disregard for humanity is what lead to this situation in the first place.

It is the premeditation. The intent to lure & kill.

Even if neither kid died, I think a Minnesota jury would have convicted him of something else because intentionally tried to lure kids in to shoot them.

I think it would have to with how the law defines lure and in this case, from what I understand, the shooting victims had actually cased the place and mapped it out previously with intent to rob him regardless. Their intention may negate any potential accusations of him luring someone into his home.

All criminals who leave less evidence have an advantage. Verdicts and sentencing are different things. Someone could be found guilty by a jury beyond a reasonable doubt based on the evidence presented but reasonable doubt is not ZERO doubt. At sentencing they would only be given death if there was zero doubt.

That makes no sense. How would it be?

0 doubt : Instant Death Penalty
A little bit of doubt, above 0 doubt, but below reasonable doubt : Life in prison
Reasonable doubt : acquittal

If he was a chopper pilot he definitely would have seen combat and would have definitely seen some crazy shit.

Being a bombing pilot can cause PTSD as well, especially in Vietnam considering the US killed something close to a million Cambodian, Laotian, and Vietnamese civilians in our bombing runs.

Why does it seem like when someone says they are a Vietnam veteran, or a veteran from any war, there are given the benefit of doubt that they saw combat?

Like when legit SeALs get tired of so many veterans claiming to be prior SeALs that it outnumbers the number of actual operators in existence.

So much so, they built a database to keep track of all the wannabes running around and using it to name and shame.

He could've been this, he could've been that and he could've been flying B-52s for supply runs.

That makes no sense. How would it be?

0 doubt : Instant Death Penalty
A little bit of doubt, above 0 doubt, but below reasonable doubt : Life in prison
Reasonable doubt : acquittal

I think the death penalty should be taken off the books in order to reinforce the concept that the state values human life. I feel like this would also reinforce the value of human life in sentencing someone who commits an act of premeditated murder.

He could've been this, he could've been that and he could've been flying B-52s for supply runs.

Possible, but I wouldn't know if a supply run would be considered a combat active position or not. Not sure if it came up as relative in the case either, but I think most people don't try to parse that out generally because of the social attachment to respecting the military.

syllogism

In the police interview he says he has never had to kill anyone before. He also claims that the reason why he didn't report it until 24 hours later is because he was afraid of an accomplice, possibly their parents (!), would come back with a gun to see what had gone wrong.

Possible, but I wouldn't know if a supply run would be considered a combat active position or not. Not sure if it came up as relative in the case either, but I think most people don't try to parse that out generally because of the social attachment to respecting the military.

I'm fine with anyone respecting the military, but don't like when their veteran status and/or possible PTSD becomes the focal point of a heinous crime.

It does a disservice to combat veterans everywhere with PTSD, that are living their lives as best as they can as upstanding citizens.

xbhaskarx

He thought he was back in Nam. Just me and Charlie, eyeball to eyeball... worthy fucking adversary.

Of course, this is not Nam, there are rules.

akira28

What about the reports that he knew the kids, and even willingly had them in his home before? That to me seems weird as anything else.

Paradicia

The audio is irrefutable evidence that this guy was a fucking psycho and he deserves to be put away for the rest of his life.

DarkFlow

Banned
I don't see how you can call it premeditated murder when he really had no idea if they'd break in again or not. It's horrible what he did, but the intruders played a major part in him having the opportunity to kill.

Murder, yeah. Premeditated...doesn't seem like that should stick.
As others have said, the fact he had a tarp set up, a cell phone jammer, hid his truck and hid with guns waiting all makes it seem like he was waiting to kill whoever showed up.

Piggus

God damn at the dialog and diagrams... :/

This. :/ That was really chilling to read. This piece of shit can burn. Nobody should have the right to kill an intruder unless they truly feel their life or the lives of family members is in danger. This is just cold-blooded murder.

EDIT: Ugh. The audio...

I don't want to listen to that audio. Home invasion/burglary, whatever you want to define it as is a horrible crime, but it's no justification for cold blooded murder.

see5harp

Wait, don't tell me the Grizzly Man audio is actually out there. :(

I'm not sure. Watching the documentary and just imagining the tape and seeing his mom's reaction nearly made me sick with anxiety. I don't even have a very vivid imagination without smoking or ingesting weed but just the thought of lingering memories keep my away.

Trey

Word. Probably taking your opinion too far, but people are just animals with a glorified opinion of themselves. Some animals just need to be put down without any fanfare or hesitation. Guy is a maniac and there's no question of his guilt.

The people who try to pretend we need to treat people like that with compassion or humanity are deluded into seeing humans as something more than what we really are.

We are what we want to be. And we can be a people who do not need to purge other living beings from existence.

Can someone with more intimate knowledge of the case clarify something for me? I know he didn't call the authorities until the next day, so my question is this?

How the heck did his neighbors not hear him emptying clips into these kids?

zma1013

A rational person would have set the cameras and audio recorder up and then drove to a point overlooking the house with binoculars and then called the police once he saw people break in and let them handle it. This guy is a terrible person who just wanted to kill those that wronged him. I call bullshit on any of his claims that he was scared at all. He just wanted revenge on them for breaking in and taking his stuff previously.

Can someone with more intimate knowledge of the case clarify something for me? I know he didn't call the authorities until the next day, so my question is this?

How the heck did his neighbors not hear him emptying clips into these kids?
I think the guns weren't very powerful so the sounds might not travel very far and might not register as gunshots in people's minds if they did hear them.

I might be wrong though. I've never heard a .22 but I've seen the ammo and it's small.

It was also in his basement. I imagine the sound didn't carry very well out of their.
This too.

zma1013

I think the guns weren't very powerful so the sounds might not travel very far and might not register as gunshots in people's minds if they did hear them.

I might be wrong though. I've never heard a .22 but I've seen the ammo and it's small.

It was also in his basement. I imagine the sound didn't carry very well out of there.

riotous

Banned
I hear what could be gunshots near my house from time to time. Some of them turned out to be gunshots (a bank robber was gunned down a rock throw from my back porch a few years ago).

I peak out my window but I've never called the cops merely because of a sound like that. I'm not confident it's gunfire really.. cars, transformers, etc. can make similar noises. It's also not uncommon for people to light off powerful fireworks or explosives on purpose (partly due to the proximity of the Seattle area to native american reservations where such explosives are sold.)

And yeah, a .22 fired inside of a house isn't necessarily even going to be that loud.

Piggus

This too.

A Mini-14 is actually pretty powerful and very loud... It generally uses the same round as something like an M4 carbine. That said, unless people were outside of their homes at the time it probably wouldn't be loud enough to wake people up or make people suspicious enough to call the police.

2p53qtP.jpg

.223 on the left (used in Mini-14) and .22 on the right (used in the .22 revolver)

This thread is like the perfect "are you a psychopath" test.

Not necessarily. Lot's of people just enjoy playing devils advocate, I for one am guilty of this, especially on GAF.

I certainly don't agree with what this guy did though. It was calculated cold blooded murder, through and through.

As someone who has experienced a home burglary... This guy is crazy. But, I understand and empathize with the feeling of wanting to wait up at night with a baseball bat to break the legs of the next person that tries to kick in the door to my home. Having our cars broken into 2-3 times (overnight while they were parked in our driveway or in the street right in front of our house) and a home burglary in the span of 14 months absolutely puts a bit of fear and anger into someone.

Rajack

Fear, anger, resentment, bitterness, and hatred are perfectly logical reactions to having your home broken into. However this guy's handling and reaction to those emotions is just so over the top and completely inappropriate that I find it impossible to defend his actions.

riotous

Banned
As someone who has experienced a home burglary... This guy is crazy. But, I understand and empathize with the feeling of wanting to wait up at night with a baseball bat to break the legs of the next person that tries to kick in the door to my home. Having our cars broken into 2-3 times (overnight while they were parked in our driveway or in the street right in front of our house) and a home burglary in the span of 14 months absolutely puts a bit of fear and anger into someone.

Yeah I've had my car stolen, car broken into numerous times, and was once robbed at gunpoint at a cash machine.

Before any of that I never fantasized about harming criminals, but after? Very common for me to sit around getting pissed off imagining being able to enact revenge on someone I caught in the act. (not now, but shortly after said crimes were committed, which also were all in the span of maybe 2 years.)

To the point where I've had to have very serious internal conversations with myself about what I need to do to stop myself if I ever was confronted with such an opportunity. I'm a logical person who doesn't agree that I should shoot someone fleeing from a crime they committed against me, but I'm not necessarily going to react logically in those situations. It's part of the reason I moved to the suburbs and purposefully avoid gun ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom