• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Byron Smith convicted of premeditated murder of two teens during home break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macmanus

I have family in Little Falls and I'm from Mpls myself. I just want to correct this little bit that I keep reading over and over in articles:

The teens' killings stirred debate around the state and in Little Falls — a Mississippi River city of 8,000 about 100 miles northwest of Minneapolis — about how far a homeowner can go in responding to a threat.

There really wasn't a lot of debate on this issue. Maybe for the first minute, but that quickly faded. To the community he's viewed as a fucking lunatic that murdered their children. The main reason bail wasn't posted was assumed reprisal, which was a pretty sound assumption.

Byron Smith absolutely knew these two people and their parents before he executed them.

Makai

Why is he chanting? This guy sounds like Batman. I bet he likes 80s action films since he threw out one liners before his killshots.

I think it's pretty safe to assume this guy suffers from some sort of mental illness or psychopathy. The world is full of them. Lock him up and throw away the key.

Aurongel

It's unfortunate that he was pushed to his limits and frustrated by the ineffectiveness of the police in the years leading up to the murders. It doesn't excuse his actions in any way but this man is clearly mentally unstable considering he crafted this elaborate ruse to carry out his own twisted, murderous version of justice. He should have gotten help before any of this turned into a problem but now he's basically thrown his life away and taken the lives of two teenagers who deserve to be behind bars instead of in coffins.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
People saying "only because of double tap" and "...but premeditated?" is the reason why I can't tell if people on GAF just love to troll (which I can appreciate at times) or if people are bat-shit insane!

Carnby

It makes me very happy that this piece of shit will never live another day of his life as a free man.

Every thing he spent his life working for is gone. His home, his friends, his family, his retirement, his everything is gone. He will spend his last days of his life rotting in a small cage, shitting next to his bed, and reading Reader's Digest to pass the times. Waiting for the day they cart his dead unloved ass out and bury it in a cheap pine box at a funeral no one will attend. I'm grinning ear to ear. This isn't rehabilitation, this is justice.

end rant.

There's a huge difference between self defense and premeditated murder. This was the latter.

This was a case of "I wish a motherfucker would..." gone horrifically wrong. His house got broken into a few times. That sucks. But you don't then try to set up a trap to "deal" with the problem. This isn't the Walking Dead where you can just shoot a person that's trying to steal from you any way you want. There's rules to this shit.

Thank god, fucking sociopath.

I agree we should definitely check up on veterans more often. In saying that, I'm really disappointed in the way the VA treats us veterans. Every time I went to a VA clinic, I always felt like my very presence was a nuisance to the staff there. Because of that, I disenrolled from the VA health care system and got private insurance.

Regarding the case, it should've been clear cut to most people that what this guy did was premeditated murder, but you'll always have diehards spouting 'breaking into a person's home = loss of human rights.'

I work with people who love guns and always talk about blowing away burglars and such.
Guarantee if this is on the breakroom tv tomorrow I'll hear "this country's really fucked up now - man cant even defend his own house anymore".

I work with people who love guns and always talk about blowing away burglars and such.
Guarantee if this is on the breakroom tv tomorrow I'll hear "this country's really fucked up now - man cant even defend his own house anymore".

Then tell them to read their State/County/City laws on reasonable use of force/deadly force/self-defense.

There's rules to this shit. As law abiding citizens they should fucking know this. We can't have it both ways in the gun community. We can't say we obey the law then scoff when someone gets held to account for breaking it.

He can defend himself and his home. He can't lay a trap to entice a burglar to enter intentionally so he can kill him premeditatively.

antonz

Glad the jury came to the right decision.

This was fully premeditated. I mean he set it up even if he hadn't shot again multiple times that they could not call for help via the jammer or anything so he would have likely just left them to bleed out. Afterall he had the tarps laid out to minimize the mess

This is a sick individual.

It's unfortunate that he was pushed to his limits and frustrated by the ineffectiveness of the police in the years leading up to the murders. It doesn't excuse his actions in any way but this man is clearly mentally unstable considering he crafted this elaborate ruse to carry out his own twisted, murderous version of justice. He should have gotten help before any of this turned into a problem but now he's basically thrown his life away and taken the lives of two teenagers who deserve to be behind bars instead of in coffins.

Oh come on. He claims to have been robbed multiple times yet only called the cops once. This is not some ineffectiveness of the police.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"I am not a bleeding heart liberal. I felt like I was cleaning up a mess."

antonz

Is he talking to himself the entire time?

It starts with what I am assuming is his call to the neighbor to come on by the next day. It is the next day when a neighbor reports the killings. Then he calls a lawyers office saying he is going to need to come in.

All clearly showing premeditation

TS-08

It starts with what I am assuming is his call to the neighbor to come on by the next day. It is the next day when a neighbor reports the killings. Then he calls a lawyers office saying he is going to need to come in.

All clearly showing premeditation

I'm fairly certain those conversations are imaginary.

Edit - it does sound like he talks on the phone once or twice, but most of what he is saying is hushed garbage to himself.

Good, self defense applies when you can reasonably feel danger to yourself in most states and to stop an intruder you think is committing a crime. It doesn't let you summarily execute someone who clearly poses no danger and no reasonable person would think so.

Risible

No it doesn't perfectly describe the event, that's why the justice system doesn't consider it a valid terminology. There are already statutes covering the crimes which may occur during a "home invasion", and they vary wildly in terms of sentencing because they are not all violent or dangerous.

I think we're arguing semantics. I'm not speaking in a legal or justice system sense, I'm speaking in a colloquial or poetic sense. You're home is literally being invaded by other people. Hence, from that angle I think it is a perfect description of what is occuring.

Carnby

I don't think that's taking it too far as that's exactly how I feel. The death penalty should be reserved for clear cut cases like this so we can cull our population of cancerous people like this guy. His existence no longer serves any purpose in society and he is of no good use to anyone. Put him down cheaply and humanely and lets all move on without him.

I like Brian and Aku's opinions. A lot.

benjipwns

Banned
This thread is probably going to fill up with people defending and having sympathy for the criminals just like the other one. And just like this jury.

Also casting aspersions on the hero for waiting when he just wanted to spare the police from having their holidays ruined.

Xcellere

This thread is probably going to fill up with people defending and having sympathy for the criminals just like the other one. And just like this jury.

Also casting aspersions on the hero for waiting when he just wanted to spare the police from having their holidays ruined.

Trolling?

Pardon me for having sympathy for two teenagers who were executed by a (convicted) murderer. No one is saying they weren't criminals, but I sure as hell don't think they deserved to be murdered the way they were.

Also, hero? Oh, you must be trolling! Got me!

Omni

Eh?

I think we're arguing semantics. I'm not speaking in a legal or justice system sense, I'm speaking in a colloquial or poetic sense. You're home is literally being invaded by other people. Hence, from that angle I think it is a perfect description of what is occuring.

That's fine and dandy, as long as we're not discussing the legitimacy of maiming or killing another human being. My beef is that the phrasing encourages the notion that all incursions into one's territory are equally violating, which in turn suggests that any and all courses of action in retaliation are necessary or even justified. That is something I can't get behind.

Hale-XF11

Welp. Good luck with aaaaaaaall that.

Wow. I shouldn't have listened to the audio. Her screaming and just hearing him unload, and then calling her a bitch once she was dead... What a fucking psycho.

The way he just kind of goes back to the conversation he was having with his imaginary friend after killing them is pretty crazy. The whole "I left my house at about 11:30, they were both dead by 1" I assume is him referring to parking his car some blocks away to make it look like he wasn't at home?

Damn, and the part where he starts his "if they're found guilty they might spend 6 months in jail..." spiel. Yeah, he clearly planned to lure them in to kill them.

Trolling?

Clearly.

Those people are disturbed. It's like they want someone to break into their home so they can fulfill their sick twisted fantasy of blowing people away.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

No, all the crazies will hold their tongues now that he's been convicted. Too bad they still think he was in the right.

You know, I'm glad he's in jail and all, but I don't really feel bad for the criminals. No one "wins" here, just an awful situation brought about by awful people clashing head to head.

FyreWulff

You know, I'm glad he's in jail and all, but I don't really feel bad for the criminals. No one "wins" here, just an awful situation brought about by awful people clashing head to head.

There is no material possession worth someone's life. I think the fact that they only came in because they thought he was gone would demonstrate they were interested in stealing, not attacking the owner.

I'm not excusing their robbery, but I can't take the logical step of "they wanted to take a TV without paying for one, therefore they deserved to die".

This is the problem with the death penalty. When you have one, people with guns start to think it's okay to mete it out on their own as a valid punishment.

Fox Mulder

The guy is a psycho, but I've had my house broken into and it's a horrible violation of your privacy and security. I have no sympathy for pieces of shit that choose that route in life.

CrankyJay

Banned
There is no material possession worth someone's life. I think the fact that they only came in because they thought he was gone would demonstrate they were interested in stealing, not attacking the owner.

I'm not excusing their robbery, but I can't take the logical step of "they wanted to take a TV without paying for one, therefore they deserved to die".

This is the problem with the death penalty. When you have one, people with guns start to think it's okay to mete it out on their own as a valid punishment.

The death penalty has a slew of problems but this isn't one of them. This really has nothing to do with the death penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom