• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

C|NET: The most disappointing games of 2014

Good list. I'd personally go with:

-Dragon Age Inquisition
-Lords of Shadow 2
-Watch Dogs
-Toukiden: The Age of Demons
-Tomodachi Life

Well Watch_Dogs is there. But DA, and slightly more importantly Toukiden? You sir are a monster. Next you are going to tell me Soul Sacrifice Delta and Freedom Wars were bad too. Gee whiz some people.
I liked those games :(

Destiny gets a lot of crap for stuff it should get a lot of crap for (story, levels, repetitive structure etc.) but as first person shooters go it's at least more ambitious and has more replay value than Titanfall, a game that somehow got a pass despite it's (even more) shallow story and limited game modes.

Well from other threads it looks like consumers and the player base ALSO forgot about Titanfall. Though, I am shocked they remembered thief as I too forgot that was a thing.

For all their problems, Destiny and Thief worked like they were supposed to at launch. And in the case of Destiny, there was a lot that could go wrong iwth its launch because it was an online only game. Yet they pulled it off without any issues. I can't think of another online only game that's launch was as smooth as Destiny's.

I don't remember if the Titanfall launch was good or bad, but I don't remember much fuss over it in terms of bad press.

For all their problems, Destiny and Thief worked like they were supposed to at launch. And in the case of Destiny, there was a lot that could go wrong iwth its launch because it was an online only game. Yet they pulled it off without any issues. I can't think of another online only game that's launch was as smooth as Destiny's.

For all it's problem i'm at least enjoying my time with AC, the same can't be said about Destiny and Thief. But yeah I can understand why it's on the list because of the framerate and bugs but 1st is too harsh IMO.

JDSN

Banned
Congrats for the non-clickbait list. A damn shame that im giving props to a site for something like this.

ghibli99

...and I haven't played any of them. That's OK, I'm loving Nier way too much right now to care about much else gaming-wise (just got ending C).

Disappointment doesn't necessarily mean technical difficulties

Destiny gets a lot of crap for stuff it should get a lot of crap for (story, levels, repetitive structure etc.) but as first person shooters go it's at least more ambitious and has more replay value than Titanfall, a game that somehow got a pass despite it's (even more) shallow story and limited game modes.

I think people got what was advertised with Titanfall. Destiny not so much.

Stitch

Gold Member
I'm also probably the only person on GAF that actually finished the main campaign in Watchdogs.

I've been playing it a lot in the last few days. I'm somewhere in Act 2 and I'm really enjoying it. (PC with some graphics mods)

only played Destiny on that list and it deserves to be there.

But damn, 5 games more disappointing than Destiny. Glad I didn't touch any of them.

Arion

Elder Scrolls Online can replace Thief since the expectations for that game wasn't really all that high to begin with. Everything else is accurate.

v1ncelis

Solid list. Even though I loved Destiny but so little content for this kind of game was really bad. Bungie should add more free content.

Aces&Eights

Well, I can't judge by anyone else's experience obviously, but thankfully none of those are applicable for me.

low FPS aside, I think one of the worst things about it was the pop in. Running down the streets and seeing the clothes change on people 2-3 times as I passed them was so disengaging and really pulls me out of the experience. Granted, I stopped playing after the King of rats mission as to wait for the patches. I seriously hope the next patch addresses it. I can handle clipping, some low rez textures and even a little stuttering here and there but good lord, bad pop in and 20fps is just unacceptable.

I'm not sure about Unity being clunkier than ever. Certainly it feels unintuitive at times but that is mostly due to the new mechanics implemented and overall more complex environments. At the end, the gameplay in Unity is positively enhanced. However, unacceptable is the camera during combats.
Anyway, I dissagre that controls are worse than previous iterations and, if at times you feel like you can't control properly the character is because you are facing a situation that wasn't present in previous games.

Azuran

Banned
I know no one expects WWE games to be good, but WWE 2K15 sucked so much and removed so many features which means we won't be seeing VGCW with HD graphics anytime soon.

It should be on the list for getting rid of the only use those games had.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
15820594680_d6fa21b05f_c.jpg

Jennings

I own a couple of those, but the disappointment generated from them pales in comparison to the disappointment I feel towards Civilization: Beyond Earth.

list is missing Halo MCC.

So much hype for the 'return of Halo' and the game doesn't even fucking work.

days turned to weeks and now a month later it still has significant problems.

You realise you are in the minority right?

Uh, yeah, but what does that have to do with me personally finding it to be hugely disappointing?

Haven't played Tomo; what made it disappointing for you?

Amazing fun for a couple of hours. But after that, it lost its novelty REALLY quickly. I wish there was more that left it fresher for longer.

Well Watch_Dogs is there. But DA, and slightly more importantly Toukiden? You sir are a monster. Next you are going to tell me Soul Sacrifice Delta and Freedom Wars were bad too. Gee whiz some people.
I liked those games :(

I never played Freedom Wars or SS Delta
I did not like the first Soul Sacrifice at all though, #flameshield

onken

I thought Watch Dogs was a great game, not the best ever or anything but really solid. Then again I didn't follow the hype too much.

Totally agree on destiny, gameplay felt like such a grind. Bought it on hype and only got about 10 hours in. May go back to it but that about gameplay being locked out for non-DLC buyers is putting me off.

Thief was looking bad for a while so can't really say it's a disappointment. Shame because I loved the originals, didn't even consider picking this up.

Should have made it a list of 10 games to make it not such a weird number, and included Titanfall, the Master Chief Collection, The Elder Scrolls Online, and Civilization: Beyond Earth.

Crom

I think I can predict some of the games that will make the 2015 list.

No Man's Sky (if it comes out in 2015)
The Order

I think I can predict some of the games that will make the 2015 list.

No Man's Sky (if it comes out in 2015)
The Order
Don't forget The Division and Battlefront.

Destiny should be in the top spot. Watch Dogs should be higher as well. MCC and Driveclub also need spots on the list.
Despite what the formatting of the list may be in this actual thread, it doesn't appear that the original list is trying to put them in any particular order. It's just a list of disappointing games.

Crom

I thought Watch Dogs was a great game, not the best ever or anything but really solid. Then again I didn't follow the hype too much.

Totally agree on destiny, gameplay felt like such a grind. Bought it on hype and only got about 10 hours in. May go back to it but that about gameplay being locked out for non-DLC buyers is putting me off.

Thief was looking bad for a while so can't really say it's a disappointment. Shame because I loved the originals, didn't even consider picking this up.

The best part of Watch Dogs for me was playing online and hacking people. It was fun trying to hide while you watch the other guy run around like crazy trying to find you.

It was a demented game of hide and seek and the consequences were getting blown away with a shotgun if you were caught.

The regular game was OK but for some reason I had a lot of fun hacking real people online even though the regular game didn't live up to the hype.

Top Bottom