• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

C|NET: The most disappointing games of 2014

Because those games are fun aside from their technical issues.

Even when Destiny is working perfectly, it's just a disappointment.

I guess that's where we get into subjective definitions of "disappointment."

Both of those games were incredibly disappointing experiences for me. (So was Destiny.)

The Evil Within is pretty great now that it's running at 60 fps without the giant black bars.

The problems went far beyond that, in my opinion.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Destiny should have been #1. Everyone knew what AC would be. It's AC. + a bit buggier than usual. Destiny was promised and pitched as something so different from what it turned out to be -- a joke.
My thoughts exactly. The only game that has disappointed me more than Destiny is SPORE.

Cheech

Thief was the most disappointing. It just had none of the killer atmosphere of the originals.

Destiny was just pure shit. Game wasn't disappointing, because it never looked very good, and Bungie hasn't produced anything with any level of inspiration since Halo 3.

The rest of the games on that list, eh. Watch Dogs was ok.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DbYOwnu.jpg

DA:I is going to be on a lot of GOTY lists, one of the best releases in 2014.

It doesn't stop it from being a disappointment. Bioware talked the game up quite a bit before release, but the combat ended up being even more shallow than Dragon Age II.

It's still got a lot going for it, but it's massively disappointing for people who like complex RPGs with interesting systems.

The list is solid and hard for me to disagree. WWE 2K15 was so awful that it became the quickest return to Gamefly.

Thief was just a chore to play and I still don't know how I beat that game. I was so happy to return it back to Gamefly.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I've only played Destiny. I fully agree that it should be on the list.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
My personal biggest disappointment of the year is Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2.

I didn't think it was terrible or anything, I just LOVED the first one.
And I'm embarrassed to say, I didn't finish LOS2 :(

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
At least AC:U had a somewhat fun SP, Destiny was the disappointment of the century.

Aeqvitas

I'd swap AC:U and Destiny.

Unity had some bugs that are mostly patched now, but Destiny beats all for sheer disappointment factor. There was no where near as much hype for Unity, and it actually does some things well (new missions, animations, combat).

But Destiny... I think it might be DOAT. And the "expansion" compounds it even more. It is just a whirlpool of sadness, even more so because the basic gunplay is satisfy. But the fact that it is so content starved, and unfunny repetitive on the little content... I don't see how anyone could say unity is more disappointing.

Gold_Loot

Good list, I guess. However, I feel like I'm the only one that actually enjoys Unity. It's probably because I started playing post-patches, but I actually think the game is really good. There are certainly some things that are frustrating (multiple currencies, forced to use companion app to unlock content, etc.) but the overall game I'm enjoying.

I'm also probably the only person on GAF that actually finished the main campaign in Watchdogs. I'm not proud of that though, as the game didn't live up to expectations at all.

How MCC isn't on here is beyond me. Probably my largest disappointment of the decade. Damn game still doesn't work right.
Unity is indeed a good game. Shame it was rushed.

Sami+

Unity has no fucking polish, it's kind of sad. I started playing it today - in the cutscene at the Bastille, the guards toss Arno into the cell, close the door, and walk away... as the cell door pops out of existence.

Then there's all of the companion app/Initiatives bullshit and awful story. Come on. Makes me miss the first game tbh.

Almighty

It's still got a lot going for it, but it's massively disappointing for people who like complex RPGs with interesting systems.

I think that was your problem right there. Once Bioware started talking about taking cues from Skyrim the expectations of DA:I being a complex RPG with interesting systems should of been chucked out the window. Still overall based on what I played I think that DA:I is an improvement over Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 at least. Of course I assume I still have enough game left to play that there is time for it to completely shit the bed towards the end.

Converse

Banned
Not that they're the pinnacle of entertainment journalism or anything, but the Master Chief Collection, Unity and Driveclub all made EW's list of the "Biggest Pop Culture Fails of 2014":

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20326356_20881348,00.html#30263628

I haven't played every game on CNN's list, but it seems pretty well representative based on the general responses I've seen. Honestly, I'm glad major sites like CNN and EW are calling this shit out. We'll always have shitty games -- just like we'll always have shitty books, shitty movies and shitty albums -- but the shameful business practices that lead to unfinished games lining the shelves really needs to be nipped in the bud, and quickly.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think that was your problem right there. Once Bioware started talking about taking cues from Skyrim the expectations of DA:I being a complex RPG with interesting systems should of been chucked out the window. Still overall based on what I played I think that DA:I is an improvement over Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 at least. Of course I assume I still have enough game left to play that there is time for it to completely shit the bed towards the end.

It definitely doesn't shit the bed, but it never really reaches insane heights, either, at least with the gameplay.

The stars of the show here are definitely the character interactions and the gorgeous scenery. It's too bad the systems and minute-to-minute gameplay loop they designed for this game just aren't very interesting.

Excuse me? Evil Within?

If you look at it as a follow up to Resident Evil 4? Damn, how could you not be disappointed?

Man, reflecting on this year and just about every big game I played was a disappointment.

Assassin's Creed: Unity
Destiny
Dragon Age: Inquisition
The Evil Within
Infamous: Second Son
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Thief
Titanfall (glad I got in on the beta and didn't actually buy this one)

were all varying levels of disappointment for me. I feel like I'm just jaded, but I loved stuff like Dark Souls II, which a lot of people seemed displeased with.

Other than Dark Souls II, I feel like only Mario Kart 8, Divinity: Original Sin, The Banner Saga, Shovel Knight, and Wolfenstein left a lasting positive impression on me this year.

I still really need to play Bayonetta 2 and Far Cry 4, though.

Pretty much my list of games, not necessarily in that order though.

I would also add Far Cry 4 to the list. Single player is great but the multiplayer suite and lack of Map editor options for the multiplayer make this my most disappointing game this year behind Destiny.

IISANDERII

Can't believe that Halo mcc and DriveClub aren't on there. I mean those games were so bad that people could get refunds for them.

The ps+ version of DC is still MIA and Halo still isn't working as intended.

I don't think I have a great choice here. There's The Evil Within, but I was never super hyped for it. But I was disappointed with the reception of the Sleeping Dogs re-release, and the fact that the improvement is supposedly just marginal. I never bought it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
teh graphix

Also the whole hacking things to open up gameplay possibilities.

I skipped the final game, so I can't say much about it, but didn't it only let you stun enemies and change street lights or something?

NHL 15 is simply unfinished. I was so excited for it, but it deserves to be on that list.

The gameplay is fun, quite solid and an improvement in a lot of ways. However, everything surrounding it is half-assed and glitchy. The game crashes, and it can't even remember basic settings. (Every time I load my Be a Pro campaign, I usually forget to change the settings to how I like them and have to quit out of a game to do so. I shouldn't have to, because they should save, but they don't. It just reverts to 20 minute periods every time I save.)

There's also the missing modes, no opportunity to skip shifts, and the lies that were told.

Destiny should be #1, I'm almost willing to say that's objective.

It doesn't help that absolutely nothing was pushing the envelope in any way with that game.

Big Blue

NHL 15 is the clear number one. It shipped without a draft in franchise mode. That's outrageous. That goes above network problems, even those as bad as MCC.

NHL 15 is the clear number one. It shipped without a draft in franchise mode. That's outrageous. That goes above network problems, even those as bad as MCC.

Plus no pre-season or all-star game, no simmable shifts in BAP, no post-shift ratings in BAP, glitched achievements, etc.

Seventy70

Destiny should be at number 1. ACU being a disappointment was expected, but not many people were expecting Destiny to be as bad as it is.

What exactly hyped people up about Watch Dogs? I didn't get particularly excited by anything I saw pre-release, and ended up surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Yeah I'm with you on that one. I liked it. If anything, I thought Destiny would be higher, but lots of people really like it. I played it for a couple weeks, now a couple of spiders have made a civilization around the case. Just didn't grab me for whatever reason.

From what I've seen MCC's SP campaign works great and having all four games packaged into one seems like an amazing deal. But that online easily needs to earn it a spot on someone's most disappointed list.

I don't think many people were hyped for Thief, but I would put it at the top of my list if only because it tarnished the name of one of the best franchises ever. Well if it wasn't dead before, it's dead now. At least we have countless fan missions and The Dark Mod to keep the spirit alive.

Top Bottom