• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts Review Thread | Celebrating 10 years of doody

Uiki

It's over, period. Activision lost their last ace, and that's the end of their Call of Duty hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Call of Duty. Activision has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in Call of Duty. Except if they want to play TDM. Which is also available in BF4.

The age of Call of Duty is done.

Amir0x, is that you?

I guess I'll just have to see for myself. I've played 4, WaW, and BLOPs, so it's been a few years. I'm ready for some twitch firin

I just bought the digital version on 360. I decided since i'm not getting an XONE, until March, that it was a good idea to buy a COD game that i can easily put 100 hours into.

WoolyNinja

In all the videos I've seen, I still haven't noticed frame rate issues on the PS4 version? Any new videos pop up showing how bad this is?

KAL2006

Banned
The campaign looks like fun in this may check it out in a couple years when I find it cheap in the bargain bin.

Ugh, can someone help me here.

I preordered Ghosts on PSN. Went to try and cancel the preorder just now, and it won't let me (I went through the Transaction History in Account Management)

It shows the purchase as 59.99 and no other option.

Am I fucked? Did it just auto-buy the game and not preorder it!? Can I somehow return this still?

Edit: Originally, typo had PSN listed as PS4.

I preordered Ghosts on PS4. Went to try and cancel the preorder just now, and it won't let me (I went through the Transaction History in Account Management)

Am I fucked? Did it just auto-buy the game and not preorder it!? Can I somehow return this still?

where did you peorder it? if its sealed how would you not get a refund with reciept?

I preordered Ghosts on PS4. Went to try and cancel the preorder just now, and it won't let me (I went through the Transaction History in Account Management)

Depends on where you pre ordered it. The worst that can happen that you can sell your new sealed copy on glyde for $55 bucks a loss of $5

I cannot understand all the reviews talking about single player and stuff.

This is Call of Duty, single player elements are supposed to be an afterthought. I don´t know any real life gamer that spends more than 5% of their COD time with single player.

It´s just practice for MP.

That´s the way the game should be evalueted. I like what i read so far. If i´m expecting more of the same, it means the game is solid. No need to reinvent the wheel, just make it more like MW2 and less like MW3.

This is Call of Duty, single player elements are supposed to be an afterthought. I don´t know any real life gamer that spends more than 5% of their COD time with single player.

That´s the way the game should be evalueted. I like what i read so far. If i´m expecting more of the same, it means the game is solid. No need to reinvent the wheel, just make it more like MW2 and less like MW3.

It never used to be an afterthought.

lights

I always thought half the reason they keep SP around is so they can make some nice trailers.

Wow, such a stark contrast:

God is a Geek
“…and as a result have created the best Call of Duty game since Modern Warfare 2.”

Polygon
"Staunchly unambitious, and the weakest effort in the series since MW2."

sflufan

Banned

What absolute nonsense.

The single-player is an integral part of the overall package of the game. There are people who are going to play the single-player and they deserve to know its quality in regard to the overall package. Reviewers should NOT dismiss it casually and say, "Well, CoD is all about the multiplayer anyway."

That might be an issue . Was this a digital copy or physical copy

Digital.

Yeah, so, they kinda lied to me about this (mind you it was my first time preordered through them). Even tho it said preorder, and I had read a page from Sony stating that I wouldn't be charged until 2 days before the product launches (http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7007) I was charged anyways (I rarely use VISA that much, so I pay off once or twice a month). Some "pre-order."

So I called them, and they put in a refund request. Which may not go through cause they have to "evaluate it." I did, however, have them add a note which said that their wording never made the process clear, since, you can cancel preorders just about anywhere else. So maybe they'll make an exception for a first timer.

Honestly, thus far, not thrilled with their wording on this stuff. I certainly won't make this mistake again.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I generally buy the Treyarch version for multiplayer and rent the IW for single player. Looks like this won't change.

Hopefully things aren't stagnating too much because I do enjoy COD multiplayer every other year.

kaskade

Seems like the reviews are skewing a bit lower this time. Looks like more 7's. I guess Treyarch is the new CoD developer.

It's over, period. Activision lost their last ace, and that's the end of their Call of Duty hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Call of Duty. Activision has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in Call of Duty. Except if they want to play TDM. Which is also available in BF4.

Hahahahaha, even Amir0x has to admit that's a good one.

KDC720

Interesting, this looks to be the most poorly reviewed post 4 Call of Duty title.

I've played pretty much all of them, the last one I skipped was MW3, because by that time I was so bored with the series.

I thought Black Ops 2 had some really cool ideas, stuff that IW should have worked to flesh out. From what I've gathered from these reviews so far, it seems that the not only does Ghost's do nothing to try and innovate, but the franchise fatigue might finally be setting in for everyone.

Enosh

about expected from this, hope AV gives it two or 3 years till the next one and provides a new engine etc

I'd be sad to see CoD gone completely especially since the other big MP series (BF) has so much stuff I just hate and I think CoD has always done better (unlocks, leveling speed, gun feel etc etc, granted didn't get BF4 so no idea if that one fixed those issues)

Mash83

GT gave it a 7.0 and it looks like its been pulled from their main page where they normally display new review scores. I saw it being displayed earlier this morning.

CaveKitty

Neo Member
I think they spread themselves too thin. Creating a game on like 6 platforms is a bitch, especially when 2 of them are brand new.

I was really excited for this game as I have not played a CoD game in over 3 years. I might have to drop this from my PS4 day one launch.

Glad to see that not all of the reviews are in the same range as that initial Polygon review. I'm still very excited to get this game (six hours) and am eagerly awaiting the 15th to play it on my PS4 as well.

Though I will likely only play KZ and Resogun on the 15th :p

Pain

Banned

But it's not.....it'll be the best selling game this year beside GTAV.

What do you think can take its place? Battlefield? BF4 doesn't seem to be a huge mainstream hit. Titanfall? Not until it's multiplatform. Destiny? Too different.

I don't doubt that ge COD age will end.....but we're still a couple years from that.

kuYuri

Although the reviews aren't terrible, it shows there is fatigue among the gaming press for the franchise.

If Activision is smart and do what we've been speculating, they will have Sledgehammer make next year's CoD and give all three developers three years of dev time between releases.

i7ugHRgECOWFx.jpg

I lost it.
KuGsj.gif

Holy mediocre reviews!

GT gave it a 7.0 and it looks like its been pulled from their main page where they normally display new review scores. I saw it being displayed earlier this morning.

Son of a bitch... Are you kidding me? A middling score is a middling score! There shouldn't be "consequences" for a site giving a game a less than exceptional review. UGH. This industry.

Raxus

The game will still sell millions but I am still shocked it is getting around 7's.

Guess a dog and space wasn't enough.

Should have put the dog in space!
Son of a bitch... Are you kidding me? A middling score is a middling score! There shouldn't be "consequences" for a site giving a game a less than exceptional review. UGH. This industry.

They do this all the time. They probably didn't pull the review. More than likely the video wasn't working.

Top Bottom