• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: WWII Reveal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkyJoe

For those who haven't seen this in the other thread.

2017-04-2601_06_36-nv2kpha.png

giphy.gif

DaciaJC

Gold Member
First time I've been excited for a new Call of Duty since ... shit, I can't even remember. Been listening to a bunch of Sabaton for the occasion.

wait a sec, has anyone in these hype threads even thought of the Pacific front?

I loved the Pacific campaign in World at War, gave me strong vibes of E.B. Sledge's memoirs With the Old Breed. But I don't think it's likely that they will revisit the theater for two games in a row.

MilkyJoe

Oh yeahhhhhhhh

I am hyped hyped hyped

yeah_boyeee_shaun_of_the_dead.gif

I cannot fathom that my most anticipated game is going to be CoD... What year is this???.gif

I just came across this drone footage of Normandy in 4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p9Okg5Gp5o

Gorgeous.

I've been all along there. Sobering experience. The bullet holes tell stories, you can see where people probably bought it. Put your finder in the holes and you can feel the corroding bullets too. Interesting, but sad, place to visit.

I wouldn't actually mind alt-history WW2. No new technology ect., just some semi plausible situations of what could have been. Like have Japan invade Soviet Union or something.

I just came across this drone footage of Normandy in 4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p9Okg5Gp5o

Gorgeous.

Yeah, I've been to Point du Hoc and the American Memorial. At Point it's crazy to see all the holes in the ground. At the American Memorial museum it's hard to keep it dry because there's a voice calling out the names of all the soldiers who died.

Omaha beach is just a normal beach. Hard to imagine what happened there.

Bumhead

Banned
I wouldn't actually mind alt-history WW2. No new technology ect., just some semi plausible situations of what could have been. Like have Japan invade Soviet Union or something.

Has the Wolfenstein series ever done this? Or anything else which trades on alternative fiction?

I usually like "the Nazi's won" fiction angle but I feel like we don't often see how that happens in the fictions world. Starting from a point of the real events, just going the opposite way, and building from there as to how we end up with something like Wolfenstein a decade later.

As for COD:WWII, I'm ridiculously hyped. This is pretty much my most anticipated game of the year now which is some going for this year.

Kalentan

For sure this is going to be much more than a simple trailer release. They're hyping it up too much to be like: "Here's a trailer, bye!"

We're probably going to get some short gameplay of the campaign, and maybe a match of MP or just a tease, and at bare minimum a tease for the co-op.

This is either going to be the best selling COD since Ghosts or the worst. Depends where lapsed fans land and where players who've only been fans since AW land.

JimiNutz

Banned
Thats why i'd be fine with a merge even if its historically inaccurate.
Basically pick your face(male or female) and then nationality:
UK
France
Canada
Australia
Soviet Union
China
United States
etc

The bigger countries will have more selection but then basically uniform options will come up.
US, UK, USSR for example could have 5 skins each(+ female variants)

Activision could then sell additional national skin packs including nation specific announcers.

The old style just feels so small for multiplayer.
With the standard map count it would be very low maps per faction if there are more than 4 factions.

Yeah I really like this idea. I hope the MP and the SP properly convey the epic scope of this conflict and properly represent the many different nations that participated. If its a smaller scale campaign that focuses on just one group of soldiers then I will be pretty disappointed.

This is either going to be the best selling COD since Ghosts or the worst. Depends where lapsed fans land and where players who've only been fans since AW land.

I'm thinking it will be huge

LOTS of folks have wanted this for a quite awhile now. I think it'll have a two-fold impact of both hitting the nostalgia hard with veteran fans but also making many happy that they're finally ditching all the sci-fi shit, which has gotten out of hand.... Sometimes less is more

Like someone else said, the namesake just fits this era/attitude.

It started to get a bit... weird when it was called Call of Duty, yet most modern games are sort of sci-fi, spec-ops capers... especially the Treyarch games

MADGAME

Only CODs I've ever played were Big Red One and Finest Hour. Looking forward to the reveal, hoping for a true US GI Joe experience among others.

Ever

Banned
As long as the soldiers stay on the *fucking* ground, it's an insta-buy for me.

Jetpacks were fun for awhile, but I've been sick of them for years.

strafer

The trailer will open with a black screen while a voice over plays;

“You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have
striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The
hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.
In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on
other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war
machine"

Then we hear the whistle and the ramp is lowered.

Playing World at War multiplayer on Wii, with IR aiming, was probably my best memory of the CoD franchise. It saddens me that there won't be such an option this time.
This was actually my first experience with Call of Duty, playing WaW online on the Wii with the gun attachment thing in 2008.

Disxo

The trailer will open with a black screen while a voice over plays;

“You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have
striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The
hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.
In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on
other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war
machine"

Then we hear the whistle and the ramp is lowered.

Andddd you die

illamap

For sure this is going to be much more than a simple trailer release. They're hyping it up too much to be like: "Here's a trailer, bye!"

We're probably going to get some short gameplay of the campaign, and maybe a match of MP or just a tease, and at bare minimum a tease for the co-op.

Then again didn't Battlefield 1 just show a trailer while having like an hour long livestream last year?. But i agree it should be more based of hype. Maybe campaign footage usually reserved for e3 will also be released to gain more traction (views) since it usually goes pretty much unnoticed compared to reveal trailer views.

Kalentan

Then again didn't Battlefield 1 just show a trailer while having like an hour long livestream last year?. But i agree it should be more based of hype. Maybe campaign footage usually reserved for e3 will also be released to gain more traction (views) since it usually goes pretty much unnoticed compared to reveal trailer views.

Well the reveal trailer of CoD is always filled with only campaign footage.

It's possible that they might hold off the campaign mission until Sony's E3 presser but they might show it early.

We haven't really had them announce a CoD like this. Usually it's just the trailer and that's it. Then nothing till E3.

Watch this and get hyped y'all for the setting

https://youtu.be/NIIszzFsdmE

Actually hyped is the wrong word to use given the safety in which we consume the subject matter that the older generation gave their lives for.

But maybe there isnt a better word for it in relation to what video games means to us, from reveal to end product.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Man I'm so pumped for this. Gets me excited thinking that given WW2 is coming back, it increases the chance of there being another brothers in arms game!!!!

Gotta give props to dice for having the balls to kick all this off and kudos to the teams that never gave up on the genre with the sniper series, company of heroes etc.

It's good to have it back baby!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom