• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calling all Sony insiders: will this year's TGS be Sony's "Japanese E3"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexa

How to make sure insiders don't post on a thread: put "calling all insiders in the title" :p

On that note, I think we'll have a solid conference.

I have a feeling it'll be pretty solid. We've already seen hints that KH3 would be there (per Nomura)... meaning Square Enix will have a presence. Level-5 still has their games. Cygames has a new studio as well, CyberConnect2 has 3 games they are working on... Capcom has Deep Down (probably other titles still MIA too)... maybe even Sega will have a presence there.
Does Square Enix have their own conference? If not, I have a feeling they will take up 1/3rd of Sony's presser. :p It would lovely if they announced the release date for FFXV .

DJIzana

Does Square Enix have their own conference? If not, I have a feeling they will take up 1/3rd of Sony's presser. :p It would lovely if they announced the release date for FFXV .

FFXV already has, supposedly, a big plan lined up for Gamescom. Generally, at TGS, they always have the Closed Mega Theatre and their own conference. Capcom and Sega have generally had their own booth, too.

Last years TGS was great. We haven't seen one that good since 2010 (ironically, the first and only time I've gone to a TGS).

I don't follow leakers that much. ALso can't wait for the tears when it's a frontier port or something

Monster Hunter PS4, I think I was caught by Chobel in January when I posted it, and edited it. But it's been leaked from the looks of it anyway. That's your upcoming MH PS4 game. However, it's not the only one. SCEJ/A has been discussing with Capcom about bringing more Monster Hunter to PS4 for a while, and for the most part, the only thing I can say is things are looking pretty good on that front.

Danneee

Paris Games Week will eat some of the announcement

Really? Why would there be anything other than the games announced at E3 in some form there?

Especially weird that any Japanese dev would choose to announce their games at anything but E3 or TGS.

Theonik

Really? Why would there be anything other than the games announced at E3 in some form there?

Especially weird that any Japanese dev would choose to announce their games at anything but E3 or TGS.
PD is going to Paris mark my words.

I hope "desperate" MS could do the same in Japan.
Invest those money into Japanese console market, hire more Japanese studio to make console games before they all go full mobile.

Close enough subject, going to repost a post of mine from another thread.
Since Japanese games and JRPGs are often entwined in discussion.

Eh, I think what seems to be their strategy right now with Japanese titles is a better bet.
Funding the ones that might appeal to the west or help studios establish a western presence would be more useful than throwing money at JRPGs to try and fail to appeal to Japan.
A la Scalebound and Recore possibly.

That isn't to say MS should give up on that sub-genre. But the reality is they'd be better off trying to find the next Souls game when it comes to JRPGs.
That isn't to imply money-hatting From, but rather the basest concept. A new JRPG that found a strong following among western audiences.

Danlord

PD is going to Paris mark my words.

They unveiled Gran Turismo 6 at Silverstone in the UK, so it shows Polyphony Digital does not have to unveil Gran Turismo 7 at Tokyo Games Show because they're a Japanese-based developer.

It was also like 6-7 months between announcement and release with GT6, and (purely my conjecture) I think Gran Turismo 7 will be a launch title for Project Morpheus, launching around May 2016. This would give ample opportunity for Sony to announce GT7, discuss Project Morpheus, market both games and give solid release dates, prices etc. where necessary (I think Sony'll announce name and price of Morpheus at PlayStation Experience in December) and Sony can come on strong with VR against Oculus and Valve and their respective VR headsets when marketing ramps up from Oculus releasing CV1 in Q1.

18-Volt

PS: It's not just a frontier port, they are in talks with Capcom for multiple games (Verendus said).

I'm pretty sure whatever it is, it's going to be a PS4/Vita game. MH is mainly handheld franchise and it is proved that console games don't sell as good as handheld versions (MH3 Wii).

If it's a brand new MH game, or better a numbered sequel, it'll probably revitalize Vita.

They unveiled Gran Turismo 6 at Silverstone in the UK, so it shows Polyphony Digital does not have to unveil Gran Turismo 7 at Tokyo Games Show because they're a Japanese-based developer.

It was also like 6-7 months between announcement and release with GT6, and (purely my conjecture) I think Gran Turismo 7 will be a launch title for Project Morpheus, launching around May 2016. This would give ample opportunity for Sony to announce GT7, discuss Project Morpheus, market both games and give solid release dates, prices etc. where necessary (I think Sony'll announce name and price of Morpheus at PlayStation Experience in December) and Sony can come on strong with VR against Oculus and Valve and their respective VR headsets when marketing ramps up from Oculus releasing CV1 in Q1.
I think it will release November 2016. Horizon summer time. I just hope they have some unique new things in the sequel. Creating a map option and have it enhanced would be a wonderful feature as soon as the game is out, not as an update. Also some 'created' cars that don't actually exist. Also drive on the moon <3. Ahhh, so much potential. Keep it at a 1000-1100 and don't bother making more than that for the sake of it.

To the person that wants MS to start funding jRPGs, getout.gif. They did enough damage last generation. Get a PS4 or 3DS if you want to play jRPGs.

Theonik

GT7 might support Morpheus but it won't focus on it and they won't tie its release to Morpheus. It's coming next year though. They might show off GT7 VR features at PSX in December and reveal it earlier. GT6's announcement was kind of a disaster and they might forgo doing a complete surprise and launch in a car event for GT7.

Paris makes the most sense imo because at this point GT7 will have its greatest market in Europe and it might be important to show it in those markets, Since Paris is the only major gaming even Sony is attending this year it seems like a lock if it doesn't make TGS. PSX is too late to show in a major European game event before the game launches unless it's late 2016 which it might well be.

prwxv3

All the best TGS stuff is likely to be multiplat.

With the exception of Scalebound of course, which is XB1 only :p

I'm not a Sony insider. I don't particularly give a shit about the Playstation brand anymore, even though I'm still happy to endorse/buy Playstation hardware/games.

wat (unless you mean PS3/PS4/maybe vita/3DS). Have you been ignoring the platform choices for many recent japanese games or what. If you want japanese games PS4 is the console to get.

I'm not a Sony insider. I don't particularly give a shit about the Playstation brand anymore, even though I'm still happy to endorse/buy Playstation hardware/games.

Is this a joke?

Star Ocean 5, Nier 2, Worlds of Final Fantasy, Ys 8, Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and many others are Playstation only.

Bloodrage

Banned

What a weird post.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can't remember the last time I actually got excited for TGS. Barely even seemed like it was happening the past couple years.

HORRORSHØW

let me quote this too and laugh with everyone else.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ys8(which who knows when will we get) and Yakuza Zero (ditto) are the only games I personally more or less care about in your lists. I'll care about Gravity Daze 2 when we actually see that thing.

This may come as a surprise to you, but some people give zero fucks about musou, idol shit and senran kaguro-type crap.

Kind of hard to take your opinion seriously when you're spouting bullshit like this.

TraBuch

Banned
They unveiled a bunch of Japanese games people have been begging for at E3, that means they'll be revealing Agent at TGS.

Bloodrage

Banned
Ys8(which who knows when will we get) and Yakuza Zero (ditto) are the only games I personally more or less care about in your lists. I'll care about Gravity Daze 2 when we actually see that thing.

This may come as a surprise to you, but some people give zero fucks about musou, idol shit and senran kaguro-type crap.
Bad day, jett? How many of those could you label under musou, "idol shit", or Senran Kagura? Wanna give it a go?

How to make sure insiders don't post on a thread: put "calling all insiders in the title" :p

On that note, I think we'll have a solid conference.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing those pre-E3 Chrono rumors come to fruition. Think we'll get release dates for FFXV/KH3?

Biker19

Banned
I hope "desperate" MS could do the same in Japan.
Invest those money into Japanese console market, hire more Japanese studio to make console games before they all go full mobile.

If anything, most of them are going to go towards Sony rather than Microsoft this time around.

Microsoft already did this last generation when they were on top with Xbox 360, & yet almost every Japanese 3rd party game got ported over to PS3 with extra content (with the exception of CAVE titles).

Around 2010, Japanese 3rd party publishers started going full exclusive to Playstation platforms; Even Namco-Bandai woke up with the "Tales of" series & realized that there was more of an audience on PS consoles.

All it does is create animosity. No random developer's game is worth buying an Xbone over. Most people will just put those games in their "don't give a shit about because I can't play" list. People will probably end up downplaying those games and insulting them after release as well, since they can't play them. And no one on Xbone will buy them.

I agree. Just look at recent games like D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die & Chaos;Child. Both flopped on Xbox One & have now gotten ported over to PC, PS3, PS4, & PS Vita.

Coxy

E3 was already pretty fucking awesome for japanese games but I expect this TGS to be pretty great too

I think we're gonna see a bunch of stuff that was announced at PS4 launch and kind of forgotten about re-emerge, Deep Down, gundam, Idolmaster etc

DMC5 seems very doubtful considering Capcom said it depends on DMC4SE sales. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

capcom always says that, CAPCOM TEST bullshit

France is HUGELY into anime & japanese games these days, it's the second best place to announce them if they cant show them at TGS for some reason

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, I'd certainly like this to be Sony's Japanese E3. We know there's some awesome stuff on the way, like Persona 5 and Square's upcoming titles, but I want more. The closer we are to the PS4 bringing back the glory days of the PS2, the better.

Man.. This is exactly what is not going to change anything about the Japanese market imo. If this is what happens this year and the next then Japan is really done for.

Frankly, I'm not optimistic anything will change lol.

If anything, I'm more hopeful for unexpected new IPs or experiences (like Morpheus) that can recapture the imagination of the market, more so than any "megatons."

Stuff like FFVII or DQXI, even if it does tremendously well, will imo, only do the best a best-selling FF/DQ game has ever done, which is great, but not something that will create a seismic shift in the Japanese market. At best, I'd say it elevates the ceiling of PS4 sales by 2-3 million units. And MonHun will change nothing, but an experience that is "best to the Japanese audience" on portables.

For Japan to change, it'd need something akin to PSP MonHun, Brain Age NDS imo, something that very strongly captivates the Japanese market that will compel them. And that is super difficult when talent in Japan is the way it is today, where talent are probably split up between 3DS, mobile & Playstation platforms.

If there is a 'secret-sauce' to revitalising the Japanese market, do you not think Nintendo, Sony or every other publisher would've done something about it? Success like Monster Hunter or Youkai Watch isn't a something that can be replicated easily. If anything, there's 99 failures for each one of those smash success stories.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
We don't really allow general day-dreaming hype threads and we definitely don't want to call attention to or support attention seeking leak tease stuff. If there's something more specific it might make sense to post a thread like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom