• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: DmC looks/feels like 60FPS. Also, 60fps is tiring for your eyes, thus 30fps.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Itsuno said action games that run at 60 frames per second can have a tiring effect on players' eyes after a long time because the frames themselves “almost shake or flash”. Because of this, “adjusting the speed is almost necessary”.

That's some grade A horseshit.

-Winnie-

I kind of get what they're trying to say. It's fluid and responsive. The Arkahm games really felt close to 60fps for me because of how nicely they controlled and how smooth the animations were.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
This thread has the feel of NeoGAF repeating the same shit over and over again ad nauseam.

Are you somehow implying that he shouldn't be called out for such a ridiculous statement? Even if you love the game, you have to admit that those words should never have left his mouth.

xenist

They should have gone for the "cinematic" excuse. That way there would be at least a few members of the gaming press that would bite.

That health thing isn't gonna work.

They have found a way to put 60fps on the boxes and and ads.

60fpssnooj.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You guys never see the frame-interpolation tests that LucasArts did for Force Unleashed II?

Yes, you can in fact make 30fps look like 60fps. Tech wasn't quite there (there were artefacts), but it was surprisingly effective.

Not saying CapCom are doing this, but it does disprove the statement that you need 60 to have the feel of 60.

And seriously, please don't make the usual DF mistake of conflating frame-rate with input latency, they are two separate phenomena that their flawed test protocols can't distinguish between.

LQX

Wasn't PGR4 like this? It is 30FPS but their bluring technique makes you think you are moving much faster. It actually worked.

Mohonky

This games sole saving grace for me is that the soundtrack is coming from Combichrist.

Otherwise, I see no redeeming features.

Midou

If they learned it during Dragon's Dogma development, why does Dragon's Dogma feel like 20 fps and awful screen tearing?

sleepykyo

Itsuno said action games that run at 60 frames per second can have a tiring effect on players' eyes after a long time because the frames themselves “almost shake or flash”. Because of this, “adjusting the speed is almost necessary”.

Why mislead like this right before admitting that it was really so NT could favor graphics over performance as usual?

Adcock, like Itsuno, pointed to the Unreal Engine as a contributing factor in this decision.

“We were limited a little bit by the engine capabilities,” he explained. “We could have done it at 60 but we would have had to have had very static environments and less combat effects

So first, one exec blame the consumer then the other blames the middleware. Capcom taking shots at everyone now.

You didn't read the whole OP. There's more than one ridiculous statement in there.
No, I read the OP, then I read the entire thread. It's clear to me that a majority of the repliers didn't read or didn't find particularly interesting the part you referred to as "grade A bullshit." In fact, nickcv didn't even include it in the title's sloppy paraphrase. This thread isn't exactly for the part you and others found mockery-worthy; it's much more apparent that it's another excuse to once again run datfeelof60fps.lulz in an infinite loop.

Ezekiel wouldn't even have used this fuckin' excuse

Good lord...

Davey Cakes

After the Shin'en interview for Nano Assault Neo, everything else just sounds wrong.

I know that it's not the best comparison because we're talking big dev vs. small dev (and big game vs. small game), but still. It's interesting how one design philosophy sounds so much better, at least in terms of the gamers' interests.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Imagine that the game has Pseudo Dante becoming more and more like Dante throughout the course of the game, with him getting gradually whiter hair and becoming more of a slapstick cocky douche instead of a tryhard edgy smoking douche (i.e. he starts to say "crazy" more often instead of "fuck you")

And then near the end of the game he turns into true Devil Trigger mode, cheesy rock music starts playing, and the game becomes 60 FPS, you use all 5 weapons during combat, and you fight classic Vergil interspersed with fights against Frosts and Shadows.

The reason I hate my PC and have gone back to consoles is 60fps hurts my eyes so much. My doctors say it's done a fair bit of damage.

The 20-30fps experience on consoles is not only easier for devs, but better for your health. Win-win, really.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If they learned it during Dragon's Dogma development, why does Dragon's Dogma feel like 20 fps and awful screen tearing?

because dragon's dogma was doing alot more than displaying a player character in a walled off room with a fixed number of enemies?

nickcv

No, I read the OP, then I read the entire thread. It's clear to me that a majority of the repliers didn't read or didn't find particularly interesting the part you referred to as "grade A bullshit." In fact, nickcv didn't even include it in the title's sloppy paraphrase. This thread isn't exactly for the part you and others found mockery-worthy; it's much more apparent that it's another excuse to once again run datfeelof60fps.lulz in an infinite loop.

yeah i know i made a mess with the title, sorry guys.

i'll try to rearrange the op a little bit (hoping that someone will actually read it)

Criterion deserves a ton of credit for what they did with Hot Pursuit. It has the lowest input lag of any 30fps that Digital Foundry has tested. 83ms of input lag while Burnout Paradise had 66ms of input lag. 30fps usually have 100ms+ of input lag.

And I'm sure this is what Capcom is referring to when they say " feel of 60 fps"

Dresden

I feel bad for Itsuno.

That said Dogma didn't even run at 30fps most of the time, and when it was chugging along near the 15fps mark it certainly didn't feel... 30fps. Let alone 60.

Anteater

Why lie like this right before admitting that it was really so NT could favor graphics over performance as usual?

He did mention that in the article, he's just doing damage control and commenting on the responsiveness of the game.

Director Hideaki Itsuno, who has directed previous DmC games, admitted 60 frames per second “would be better”, but insisted the game will be responsive enough to satisfy fans - and a lot of that is down to Dragon's Dogma, which also runs at 30 frames.

But why go for 30 frames instead of 60 in the first place?

According to Itsuno, this decision was taken to give Ninja Theory the opportunity to create “the best visual style they were looking for”.

Stuart Adcock, technical art director at the UK developer, elaborated.

“Having the city feel like it can manipulate and move and having more atmospherics was a way of us in our eyes feel like we have a more complete experience,” he told Eurogamer.

ezekial45

Banned

Ezekiel wouldn't even have used this fuckin' excuse

Good lord...

You're right. This is pretty silly.

But I sorta get what he's saying. He's just commenting on the responsiveness of the game and the advantages of 30FPS, in a roundabout sorta way. I'd rather why they own the 30FPS, rather than making excuses for it.

Shambles

Itsuno said "action" "games" "that run" "at" "60 frames per second" "can have a" "tiring" "effect on players"' "eyes" "after a" "long time" "because the" "frames" "themselves" “almost shake or flash”. Because of this, “adjusting the speed is almost necessary”.

For added effect for those who don't notice the bullshit quotes in the first place.

sleepykyo

He did mention that in the article, he's just doing damage control and commenting on the responsiveness of the game.

That's why I typed "right before admitting".

The PS3 version has been shown, it runs fine.

From the previous DmC thread

and framerate is noticeably worse on PS3, especially during cutscenes. It isn't however enslaved level dips.

DICE never had this problem in regards to Battlefield being 30fps, they just stuck to their guns when it was brought up.

mrpeabody

Two takeaways from that interview:

- They've done a lot of work to reduce input lag

- They kept it at 30 because it lets them add more visual effects

The thread title isn't an exact quote, so it should not use quotation marks. It's not even an accurate paraphrase; they never say it looks like 60fps. They say it will have the "responsiveness" of 60, which is not the same.

I wish a mod would remove the quotes from the title.

Yuterald

You're right. This is pretty silly.

But I sorta get what he's saying. He's just commenting on the responsiveness of the game, in a roundabout sorta way. I'd rather why they own the 30FPS, rather than making excuses for it.

But...isn't what he's saying an excuse? Not like this man...not like this.

2630654_o.gif

Dude, what you are observing is what happens in every DmC thread. It doesn't matter how irrelevant, they'll find something to latch onto and keep going at it and at it. Also, Itsuno saying they are implementing techniques and doing whatever they can to make sure the game emulates a 60 fps game despite running at the industry console norm of 30 fps is NOT a ridiculous statement. We have all played 30 fps games where one feels a lot more responsive and smoother than another game which is also at 30 fps.

The general sensationalism to hate on Ninja Theory has now grown to the point where we're misquoting them even in the fucking thread title.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hopefully they fix the PS3 cutscene FPS by January if not make available an optional HDD install to potentially alleviate the problem.

Top Bottom