• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Not Interested in Dino Crisis or Onimusha Return

They didn't mention Viewtiful Joe...

theres-a-chance-o.gif

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I could understand Dino Crisis, but why not a new Onimusha?

The story is done. Not sure anyone at the company wants to make one, and there's no good reason to make one besides selling a brand.

They tried to reboot already with Dawn of Dreams, which alot of people don't even consider a "real Onimusha game." (My personal favorite after 2 though)

So no clue what people are expecting out of a sequel after that

This is frustrating. These are my two favorite Capcom franchises right after Resident Evil and I guess Dead Rising. There is still so much potential in both series.

In Dino Crisis there could be a Vanquish style evolution of the arcade shooter foundations laid down in DC2, and we still never found out what happened after that cliffhanger ending! Or there could be a chance to showcase new jungle technology - think the way creatures move through long grass in Jurassic Park or Crysis 3, creating a hunter/hunted dynamic. Or even another return to pure survival horror that Capcom's library has been sorely missing for nearly a decade. With next-gen physics you could have dinos smashing through walls, or your only hope could be to wound them with location specific limb damage. Dinosaurs are seriously lacking in games nowadays so this seems like a massively missed opportunity.

And i've long maintained that Onimusha in Ninja Theory's hands could be a perfect fit, especially now if DmC was anything to go by. Onimusha does not need a super complex combat system, just something simple and fun enough. And if there is one thing NT can do really fucking well, it's being able to deliver a character driven story using real actors (like Andy Serkis) - which was exactly what Capcom did with Takeshi Kaneshiro and Jean Reno in prior Onimusha games. Hell, Ninja Theory could even pull off the art style since they love the eastern aesthetic so much and did it great already in Heavenly Sword.

Raide

Onimusha & Dino Crisis HD Collection to test the waters...

DOOOOOO ITTTTT!

I bet loads of gamers have never even played the games, so do what you did with the recent DMC pack and bring them to a new audience.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
They didn't mention Viewtiful Joe...

a PG/Kamiya collab for VJ3 is probably the only real franchise resurrection I'd be interested in from Capcom.

It's also probably still a less likely occurrence than Dino Crisis 4 and ONImuSHA even after these statements. :(

Onimusha & Dino Crisis HD Collection to test the waters...

DOOOOOO ITTTTT!

I bet loads of gamers have never even played the games, so do what you did with the recent DMC pack and bring them to a new audience.

The original trilogy all use pre-rendered backdrops

I always figured that was the biggest hurdle keeping them from being released an HD collection. They don't even bother to update the pre-rendered FMV in those things

Well, fuck. I don't remember the last time that I bought a Capcom game, think it was MHTri on Wii? And before that RE4?

And I 'finished' like 10 games from them on PS2 alone, having even more.

ArjanN

To be honest I always thought those two series were mostly B-tier franchises compared to Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter etc. Good, but not great.

Then why'd you fucking ask Capcom? Fairly confident it featured in their community outreach survey alongside many questions about their old IPs. No doubt another illusion cooked up by one of their puppet community managers. Fuck Capcom.

Since they were doing a survey anyway they might as well inlcude pretty much all their franchises. Also, I figured a bunch of the questions in there suggested more in the direction of digital re-releases of stuff than new installments per se.

I don't even think current Capcom is even capable of even making a decent DC or Oni game at this point. They can't even get RE right

There was also Gun Survivor 3 right before the release of Dino Crisis 3. Rented that game for the dinosaurs, was confused when Dino Crisis lore started popping up.

Dino Crisis was excellent, especially looking back on all the unlocks and multiple endings. The first was bit bare compared to RE, but it's the game that introduced me to RE in the first place. The second game, despite the LOST head scratcher stuff that was going on, was even better.

The series would do very well nowadays gameplay wise. However, the dinosaur market may or may not be there by the standards of a company like Capcom.

Elija2

I actually completed and enjoyed Dino Crisis 3 when I was younger. What was so bad about it (besides the story)? Granted I've never played the first two games.

diamount

Banned
The story is done. Not sure anyone at the company wants to make one, and there's no good reason to make one besides selling a brand.

They tried to reboot already with Dawn of Dreams, which alot of people don't even consider a "real Onimusha game." (My personal favorite after 2 though)

So no clue what people are expecting out of a sequel after that

Dawn of Dreams wasn't a reboot, though. It wasn't liked because the same reason Onimusha 2 wasn't liked, no Samanosuke
as a main character anyhow

Tomodachi

I'm not terribly down with this. I say new IPs is better than
bad
returns.

At least give us cheap, decent HD remakes of the old titles though.

I actually completed and enjoyed Dino Crisis 3 when I was younger. What was so bad about it (besides the story)? Granted I've never played the first two games.

It had nothing to do with the past games, despite Dino Crisis 2 being perfectly set up for a sequel. It didn't even have dinosaurs, just human hybrid things. It was the crazy Jurassic Park script meets Alien Resurrection.

The camera was absolute crap due to it being archaic in comparison to the movement of the player, as well as how the environments were set up.

Aside from a couple of bosses, the enemies were boring, bland, and uninspiring.

Speaking of Alien, the computer was named Mother. Really? Not only that, but I think the computer was bonkers and thought the things you were fighting were her offspring or the crew on the ship, so it helped them...I don't even know, it was ridiculous.

It was an arcade-y, gundam-style game that had very few redeeming factors (puzzles, 2 bosses, jetpack that would have been cooler if the camera wasn't shite) and wasn't a Dino Crisis game, but had the name to try and sell copies. Gun Survivor 3 was more of a Dino Crisis game than Dino Crisis 3.

Edit: Go and play the Dino Crisis games if you enjoyed the classic Resident Evil games, while keeping in mind the first is a bit more of a sterile action-horror while the second is all action that sets up LOST (that's how I imagined it to be until they showed the smoke monster).

Kikujiro

No they don't.They just think their fans are idiots.

Judging by this thread they are right.
Onimusha's Samanosuke story ended with the 3rd episode (and it was fucking garbage), Onimusha 4 was already a reboot that didn't sell well, they even milked the franchise with Buraiden and the tactics game, but people weren't interested. Now they have the "old Japan" series covered with Sengoku Basara. I really don't know why people want a new Onimusha, the old gameplay was finished with the 3rd episode and it already felt old, if they do something new people will bitch because "how they dare". Dino Crisis was an interesting series, I remember people hating on 2 because it was too action and not survival enough, now it seems like everybody loves every episode. Fans will never be happy. Instead of bitching you should've all bought Onimusha 4 or Shadow of Rome.

Glass Rebel

Don't worry guys, you'll see them returning to their old franchises when Lost Planet 3 and Remember Me inevitably bomb. DmC, as the best looking (and most likely best overall) of the bunch isn't breaking records either.

Liamario

Banned
Capcom hasn't been the Capcom that I loved for years. This news doesn't surprise me. They are rapidly turning into Sega....... that's not a compliment.

Jawmuncher

Man, I don't think I've ever seen people so sad when a company announces they are focusing on new IP's. :(

The main reason being because capcom has a HUGE legacy of great titles to choose from.
Sure it's nice to have new IP but personally they need to balance the two rather than go with just the idea of new IPs.
Also it's not like their new IP track record has been anything great, they've all basically been bombas sale wise. So it's odd that their so devoted to it.

Also new IP is just talk for new game we can make sequels off of anyway. Capcom is a big enough place where they could pull off play this year were having a new IP and bringing this old game back as a reboot (which almost counts as a new IP in itself if you ask me)

UrbanRats

The last entries in both franchises weren't spectacular, but i would've liked a reboot of both.
Oh well, as long as SOMEONE does a game involving dinos, i'm cool.

Despera

Banned
They want to create new IPs?

FUCK! Not new IP's, no!
Sometimes a good series deserves to have any number of sequels before it runs its course. Dino Crisis was a great survival/action series with dinosaurs as enemies. How many good games about dinosaurs have we got in the market? Apparently, the concept had some mass appeal since the 1st and 2nd entries were successful. But after the failure of the mediocre 3rd entry, Capcom decided to end the franchise. It was their incompetence which did the series in.

In the case of Onimusha, the series was on a steady decline sales-wise from the 1st sequel. But at least we had 4 solid entries before the franchise kicked the bucket.

I'm all for new IPs, but sequels also have their rightful place in the medium. Imagine if Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 both bombed hard, and From Soft/Bandai Namco decided to kill the series. It would be understandable from a business stand point, but I would be devastated, and so would a lot of people here. Would you mock us then as well?

GrayFoxPL

My Dino Crisis dreams are crushed. Not to mention I know there are plenty of Onimusha fans on gaf. The worse thing is both games would be ripe for a reboot that would basically make them new IPs anyway.

also ending a series with Dino Crisis 3 is terrible, not even Mega Man fans have it that bad.

Capcom=rats.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Sometimes a good series deserves to have any number of sequels before it runs its course. Dino Crisis was a great survival/action series with dinosaurs as enemies. How many good games about dinosaurs have we got in the market? Apparently, the concept had some mass appeal since the 1st and 2nd entries were successful. But after the failure of the mediocre 3rd entry, Capcom decided to end the franchise. It was their incompetence which did the series in.

In the case of Onimusha, the series was on a steady decline sales-wise from the 1st sequel. But at least we had 4 solid entries before the franchise kicked the bucket.

I'm all for new IPs, but sequels also have their rightful place in the medium. Imagine if Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 both bombed hard, and From Soft/Bandai Namco decided to kill the series. It would be understandable from a business stand point, but I would be devastated, and so would a lot of people here. Would you mock us then as well?
Trust me, sequels more than have their place in gaming today.

Top Bottom