• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Not Interested in Dino Crisis or Onimusha Return

Capcom fucked Onimusha the same why they are destroying their other IPs now, they changed game and moved it to more Actiony style, tried to capture the western gamers with (Jean Reno and Frech setting) in Dawn of Dream which was their last chance to undo the mistake that was Onimusha 3 instead of making the game more like Onimusha 1 or 2 they made it even more action based.

Onimusha 3 is awesome. Since being a fan since the first game, Onimusha 1 was first PS2 I ever purchased, when were the games not action? It encouraged level up weapons and issen one-hit kills since the first game. At best Onimusha 2 had that gift giving system, but the basis of the games were all the same, killing everything and taking souls.

Endo Punk

un momento. People actually think Onimusha 3 is a bad game because of Jean Reno? Da Fuq!? The game was glorious! Best opening ever, amazing set of weapons(loved me the Kuga), fun bosses, beautiful locals and a riveting story. You guys are nuts if you think it's a terrible game. So it took place in modern day Paris, it didn't lose anything that made the franchise exciting. Ok my favourite is still Oni3 due to the friend system and Jubei but Oni3 was a great follow up. Just wish you could of actually fought Gargant.

rvy

Banned
Onimusha 3 is awesome. Since being a fan since the first game, Onimusha 1 was first PS2 I ever purchased, when were the games not action? It encouraged level up weapons and issen one-hit kills since the first game. At best Onimusha 2 had that gift giving system, but the basis of the games were all the same, killing everything and taking souls.

Yeah, but the first games had that horror vibe going on. Oni 3, not so much.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Then why aren't there any good Dinosaur games out now?

They just announced JP3D and JP4 recently so do you actually think the companies would make games that fast and have it out now?

Usually dinosaur movies and games would telease according to JP popularity to grab the fans' attentions. They did with first JP.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Onimusha 1 and 2 are way slower paced than Onimusha 3 focus on the creepy atmosphere in many places, in Onimusha 3 it was mindless hack n slash,the combat system was great tho.

Dream Onimusha game should have Onimusha 1 pacing and horror atmosphere, Onimusha 2 RPG elements and characters paths and Onimusha 3 control/combat system.

Dahbomb

Issen system in Onimusha has always been boss as fuck. Nothing makes you feel like a bad ass than chaining Issens together and one touching all enemies around you.

They didn't even concluded Dino Crisis 1/2 story arc, right? DC2 was open ended and promised more later.

I never played DC3, but its story was independent, right? Anyway, it's sad how they fucked up DC series. Maybe sometime...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, that came out after a year after the first game was released.

So did a sequel and like 2 spinoffs

VJ had like 4 games(5 if you include the PS2 port, which was released within months of the sequel) released in the span of 2-3 years on top of an anime and whatever merch Capcom tried to push for it.

If VJ is considered a failure for any reason it's that people got sick of it. Capcom pushed it too hard too fast.

A shame considering how well received it was initially

Valnen

Then give me an Onimusha HD collection or give up the IP to someone who WILL make me a game. Fucking Capcom. Ugh. I hate publishers that hoard IP's and do NOTHING with them.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
un momento. People actually think Onimusha 3 is a bad game because of Jean Reno? Da Fuq!? The game was glorious! Best opening ever, amazing set of weapons(loved me the Kuga), fun bosses, beautiful locals and a riveting story. You guys are nuts if you think it's a terrible game. So it took place in modern day Paris, it didn't lose anything that made the franchise exciting. Ok my favourite is still Oni3 due to the friend system and Jubei but Oni3 was a great follow up. Just wish you could of actually fought Gargant.

That's part of it.

I thought the whole time travel thing was a stupid way to force the cameo

I wouldn't call it a bad game. I enjoyed my time with it.

Definitely my least favorite in the franchise by far though. and I HATE how people bring up Jean Reno/Paris as a reason for why a western dev could make an Onimusha. It's like that's the only thing they a know about the games

Too bad. Dino Crisis 2 was a really fun game. Loved the combo system in that one. I'd love it if Capcom would make another DC as a spiritual successor. Never tried DC3 but heard some not-so-good reports on it.

BrhysH

You know its probably for the best.

screen38_2.jpg

Chrysalis

I just want another Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams...or even an HD port. The franchise bored me until that point, but damn is that one of the PS2's finest. Love the backtracking for secrets, love the variety of play for the different characters...so fun. And it sounds like most of the folks in here never played it. Which makes me sad.

Jawmuncher

They didn't even concluded Dino Crisis 1/2 story arc, right? DC2 was open ended and promised more later.

I never played DC3, but its story was independent, right? Anyway, it's sad how they fucked up DC series. Maybe sometime...

Yeah 1 and 2s story was never done.
Some more of the story was shown with Dino Stalker (the gun survivor game)
3 was its own thing pretty much we like to not bring it up often

Kikujiro

It's not a bad game, it's an ok game. Plot goes in the way and is godawful, gameplay is the better of the trilogy, but it's not like it changed that much and it's worse than a pure action. I enjoyed DoD way more. What supposed fans don't understand is that doing the same game over and over again with the same gameplay is the way to kill a franchise.
Look at Tomb Raider, people are crying because they aren't making the same TR of the PS1 days, but they forget that during that period they made 5 (five) fucking TR with the same formula and the last one sold like shit (and it was poorly received by the media). This is why they rebooted it for the PS2.
The old Onimusha ended with the trilogy, DoD was a great game, but it didn't sold great.

RangerBAD

Don't worry, guys. By "new" they mean rebooted IPs with Western developers. So we'll get a steaming pile of Onimusha and Dino Crisis reboot very soon!

I just want another Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams...or even an HD port. The franchise bored me until that point, but damn is that one of the PS2's finest. Love the backtracking for secrets, love the variety of play for the different characters...so fun. And it sounds like most of the folks in here never played it. Which makes me sad.

The opposite for me; DoD killed the franchise for me. I didn't finish it.

A big disappointment!

Elios83

I'm disappointed for Onimusha but I realize that Capcom is not the company it was 10 years ago.
There's nothing that I'm looking forward to see about them.

Coconut

Banned
If they took the gameplay of RE6 and made a Dino crisis game around it I would flip my shit, but I don't think they have that kind of sense.

Dawn of Dreams' character differentiation and puzzles are great, but the game's grindiness and its dumbed-down combat are awful. Way too many RPG elements, way too many pieces of equipment.

ErichWK

Man.. I remember the first time I experienced the T-Rex smashing through the glass in Dino Crisis 1. So good. So stressful.

Top Bottom