• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Not Interested in Dino Crisis or Onimusha Return

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Then why'd you fucking ask Capcom? Fairly confident it featured in their community outreach survey alongside many questions about their old IPs. No doubt another illusion cooked up by one of their puppet community managers. Fuck Capcom.

I think you're misinterpreting surveys as "promises" or something. Where if we say we want it they're obligated to make it.

If anything these comments are the results of that survey. They saw the interest in these franchises and decided to comment that they weren't interested in developing them any further at this time.

Since they were doing a survey anyway they might as well inlcude pretty much all their franchises. Also, I figured a bunch of the questions in there suggested more in the direction of digital re-releases of stuff than new installments per se.

also this.

To be honest I always thought those two series were mostly B-tier franchises compared to Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter etc. Good, but not great.

The main difference between Dino Crisis and Onimusha and those franchises is that they sold progressively(drastically) less units with each new entry, while all those games you mentioned sold progressively more or consistently well.

So you're not wrong. but I think at one point they showed alot of promise as major franchises.(I believe the original Dino Crisis sold more than the original Devil May Cry)

Dawn of Dreams wasn't a reboot, though. It wasn't liked because the same reason Onimusha 2 wasn't liked, no Samanosuke
as a main character anyhow

Well I mean it was a reboot in the sense that it began a new storyline with an entirely new cast of characters(yes I know about Tenkai) and featured gameplay that was pretty different from the previous games.

Which is more or less what we'd get if Ninja Theory or whoever got the next game.

sleepykyo

No they don't.They just think their fans are idiots.

That's Activision. Capcom has held minor conferences to announce ... that they weren't going to fix anything or promised a big announcement to give away a fan game (though it was kind of cool to distribute it).

NT: Reboot Onimusha
Itsuno and CO: DMC5
Sparks: Reboot Dino Crisis

WIN WIN FOR ALL!

Bargaining stage is over. Just accept that NT is doing DMC, Itsuno is going to be stuck on Dragon's Dogma/Skyrim wannabe, possibly Capcom All Stars replacing MvC, and some other stuff. Somehow I doubt the Capgod days are coming back.

Omega

Banned
new IPs like Resident Evil and Street Fighter right?

fuck Capcpom. I want my real Dino Crisis 3 and some more Onimusha. At least put Urien into one of your fighting games

why do they hate me so much. They canceled the only two franchises I cared about from them, and then they just ignore Urien. They put fucking Elena in SFxT over him. No one used Elena, ever. She sucks. She isn't even video game "hot" so wtf

The main reason being because capcom has a HUGE legacy of great titles to choose from.
Sure it's nice to have new IP but personally they need to balance the two rather than go with just the idea of new IPs.
Also it's not like their new IP track record has been anything great, they've all basically been bombas sale wise. So it's odd that their so devoted to it.

Also new IP is just talk for new game we can make sequels off of anyway. Capcom is a big enough place where they could pull off play this year were having a new IP and bringing this old game back as a reboot (which almost counts as a new IP in itself if you ask me)

I can get that. I don't mind how they rationed games last year. We got some new stuff and content from established IPs. There's more DmC, Lost Planet, SFxT, Dragon's Dogma, and RE this year. Then, there's Remember Me...and that's it on that end. I wouldn't mind seeing another new game to go along with it. But for the moment most of the games we know about are from known franchises, so I'm not entirely surprised there are other things cooking that are yet to be revealed.

Seriously, Ninja Theory are such a good fit for Onimusha. What makes an Onimusha game?

- real actors doing digital acting. check.
- mid-tier combat system with a couple of gimmicks. check.
- eastern inspired visual style and story. check.

Their version of the beloved Devil May Cry may not have been up to the fans' high standards, but it and previous games have shown that Ninja Theory are more than adequate (and in fact very suitable) for Onimusha. I mean, the series is good but not exactly the fine dining of the action adventure genre..

Well that's a bit of a bummer, though no great surprise. I liked the Onimusha trilogy a fair deal and HD ports were the main thing I requested in that Capcom survey from a few weeks (months?) ago. To be honest though, I thought the series was getting a bit tired w/Dawn of Dreams and I sort of lost interest there, but it's had a more than a half of a decade to take a break and I'd welcome a new installment now. Alas.

sleepykyo

Seriously, Ninja Theory are such a good fit for Onimusha. What makes an Onimusha game?

Their version of the beloved Devil May Cry may not have been up to the fans' high standards, but it and previous games have shown that Ninja Theory are more than adequate (and in fact very suitable) for Onimusha. I mean, the series is good but not exactly the fine dining of the action adventure genre..

DmC seems to be fairly well received (critically) and NT isn't capable of selling without the backing of a strong brand or a platform maker desperate for software.

Endo Punk

No No No No more Ninja Theory. Let them fuck off and do their own games.

DmC seems to be fairly well received (critically) and NT isn't capable of selling without the backing of a strong brand or a platform maker desperate for software.

I know, it seems to have done quite well. But i'm just playing devil's advocate here when i'm saying "okay fine, it is a b-tier game, but so were the Onimusha games really so it's a perfect fit".

No No No No more Ninja Theory. Let them fuck off and do their own games.

If the choice is between no more Onimusha or Onimusha made by NT, i'd choose the latter every day of the week.

Did you whine about Bayonetta 2 being Wii U exclusive too?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If the choice is between no more Onimusha or Onimusha made by NT, i'd choose the latter every day of the week.

I guess that's where we disagree. but I mean I think of games as more than just commercial product brands that anyone can make

Did you whine about Bayonetta 2 being Wii U exclusive too?

False equivalency.

I thought Resident Evil game are meant to be a survival horror game not an action game, unless that is from a spin-off game.

a PG/Kamiya collab for VJ3 is probably the only real franchise resurrection I'd be interested in from Capcom.

Same I don't trust Crapcom not to screw it up.

Thankfully Kamiya is making The Wonderful 101, who style is similar to Viewtiful Joe.

game 1.. gamecube.

game 2 (sequel!!) gamecube ps2.

didn't set the world on fire.

I can see why VJ died.

It was because Crapcom didn't advertise the game at all.

It only set the world on fire if you had taste. Too bad gamers are, by and large, tasteless fucking idiots.

Agreed.

Takao

Banned
i don't understand there was a new onimusha last year

card game for phones

also lol @ capcom not advertising vj, it had a tv anime ffs

They should release a Onimusha HD collection to see how the market reacts. I think Dino Crisis is dead, but one can still buy the old ps1 games on the psn store.

Dahbomb

Bargaining stage is over. Just accept that NT is doing DMC, Itsuno is going to be stuck on Dragon's Dogma/Skyrim wannabe, possibly Capcom All Stars replacing MvC, and some other stuff. Somehow I doubt the Capgod days are coming back.
I would be OK with Capcom All Stars. I still don't see Itsuno continuing DD if it keeps bombing but whatever

ezekial45

Banned
In what planet do you live in where Onimusha and Dino Crisis sold poorly?

We're on the planet Earth, and the last titles in both of those series sold poorly to barely decent.

Also, it's been several years since the last entry. What makes you think they're relevant now?

rvy

Banned
We're on the planet Earth, and the last titles in both of those series sold poorly to barely decent.

Maybe because they sucked? I don't know. Bad games tend to not sell well. On top of that, DC 3, being as terrible as it was, was also an *gasp* Xbox exclusive.

Also, it's been several years since the last entry. What makes you think they're relevant now?

What makes you think they're not? Did DC and Onimusha fans drop off the planet or die? When did this happen? Tell you what, a new DC is far more relevant than Dark Void. How about that?

Im not saying they didnt back in the day, im sayin it wouldnt today.

Uh, OK.

ezekial45

Banned
Maybe because they sucked? I don't know. Bad games tend to not sell well. On top of that, DC 3, being as terrible as it was, was also a *gasp* Xbox exclusive.

What makes you think they're not? Did DC and Onimusha fans drop off the planet or die? When did this happen? Tell you what, a new DC is far more relevant than Dark Void. How about that?

You're believing that both series can just pick up where it left off and become a million + seller again. That's not how it works. They've been dormant for too long for something like that to happen. And no, the fans didn't drop off the earth. Most of them moved on. They're certainly not waiting for the series to come back when they've got other good games to play. The interest in the series has waned considerably, and just announcing it won't automatically regain that same spark the games had at their peak.

That's not to say I wouldn't want to see them back, but I know very well they'd have to do something brand new and interesting with the concepts, because to be frank, the brands aren't strong at all. You're letting your expectations and admiration for the franchises supersede the facts.

your expectations =/= reality

It's silly to say that when we are getting Jurassic Park 3D and Jurassic Park 4 for next two months.
Then why aren't there any good Dinosaur games out now?

rvy

Banned
You're believing that both series can just pick up where it left off and become a million + seller again. That's not how it works. They've been dormant for too long for something like that to happen. And no, the fans didn't drop off the earth. Most of them moved on. They're certainly not waiting for the series to come back when they've got other good games to play. The interest in the series has waned considerably, and just announcing it won't automatically regain that same spark the game's had at their peak.

That's not to say I wouldn't want to see them back, but I know very well they'd have to do something brand new and interesting with the concepts, because to be frank, the brands aren't strong at all. You're letting your expectations and admiration for the franchises supersede the facts.

your expectations =/= reality

My expectations are that good games sell and that people, who were fans of the original games, wouldn't object to buying a good new entry in the series. Or that younger gamers, who never even heard of the game, would also not object to buying good games.

Clearly illusions of grandeur and shit though, because everybody in this thread nows how incompetent Capcpom has become in the past 5 years. You are correct.

Making a good new entry for DC and Onimusha isn't enough anymore, but not only that, I highly doubt they are even capable of making a good new entry for either franchise.
Hell, they can't get their heads out of their asses when it comes to their flagship franchises, which are RE and Mega Man.

ROFL I have no interest in most of their IP's nowadays either. Capcom has changed so much. I remember loving every new IP's they had up in the PS2 Era. I hope they bring back those feelings I had with their past games in the PS4/720 era, but I highly doubt it.

Dahbomb

The fact is that both DC and Oni were once million Sellers. They stopped production on the games because the last games in both series under sold but quite a lot but more importantly were bad games (DoD was alright but it went in a different direction altogether from the main series whereas DC3 was just garbage). DC in particular does deserve a second chance because it underperforming had a lot to do with DC3 being an outsourced Xbox only piece of shit... Imagine if that happened with DmC where it was a Wii U exclusive and ended up being an ass game which ended up selling less than 500k... should Capcom give up on DMC due to their own bad management of their IP?

The biggest problem though with both games is that its been almost a decade since a game came out in either series plus they both skipped a generation. Most new gamers don't even know about either games and even the old DC/Oni fans have moved on to better games or stopped gaming altogether. Both games NEED a reboot to spark interest and they need some new mechanic/gimmick outside of fancy graphics and art style to hook people in. No way would I want to play a DC/Oni game now with no jump button, fixed camera angles and prerendered backgrounds.

If by reboot you mean outsourcing it to western developers. Then Capcom is dead to me. A franchise I no longer give a rats about is DmC, I don't care what anyone says but the game does not stay true to it's predecessors or what DMC is really all about.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Capcom fucked Onimusha the same why they are destroying their other IPs now, they changed game and moved it to more Actiony style, tried to capture the western gamers with (Jean Reno and Frech setting with Oni 3) and in Dawn of Dream which was their last chance to undo the mistake that was Onimusha 3 instead of making the game more like Onimusha 1 or 2 they made it even more action based.

Obviously an internally developed reboot is preferred but I mean if the alternative is no new games for either series I would much rather have a Western outsource.

Hope they let Spark Unlimited do it then. So they can kill 2 more franchise they created. I can already tell Lost Planet 3 is gonna bomb super hard.

rvy

Banned
Obviously an internally developed reboot is preferred but I mean if the alternative is no new games for either series I would much rather have a Western outsource.

Now, I'd like to hear from Lost Planet fans on the subject. Myself not included because I have already shed my tears over that one.

Dino Crisis could work perfectly using the new RE tech. Its a shame I'm convinced capcom think people don't want a sequel because no one bought DC3.

New IPs are a good thing right?

Unless it's a franchise you love of course.

Dragon's Dogma and Ghost Trick are proof that Capcom isn't completely done. People should be happy. It seems like they only go full retard when they have legacy to uphold.

This is for the better

Dahbomb

Hope they let Spark Unlimited do it then. So they can kill 2 more franchise they created. I can already tell Lost Planet 3 is gonna bomb super hard.
Its not like either Oni or DC are alive right now so nothing is going to come out of there being a bad game in the series... they will just go back to bring dead. This is why they need a reboot more than LP or DMC did.

It only set the world on fire if you had taste. Too bad gamers are, by and large, tasteless fucking idiots.

I've played 1, 2, and Red Hot Rumble. While I love the series, 2 isn't that great compared to 1.

That doesn't mean I don't want 3, though. I have money, Capcom. Why don't you want it? :(

Zombie-dinosaurs? In RE everything is possible. We'll finally see the T-rex Virus.

I had a good chuckle on that one, well done. I think Simmons in Resident Evil 6 was their take on dinosaur zombies and I approved.

But yea, I've BEEN waiting since I beat Dino Crisis 2 WAY BACK WHEN, for a proper sequel or remake(Dino Crisis 3 makes my happy go sad) so I guess I'll just keep waiting. I would have thought there'd be a final fantasy 7 remake by now as well... That's one of the ONLY good dinosaur games and jeeze how long must I wait?

Onimusha was also pretty sick and dawn of dreams was awesome. Ah well. Project zwei should be promising.

Top Bottom