• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom on Monster Hunter possiblity on Switch: "Hope you enjoy it on 3DS first."

Sooo over sub standard def MonHun. However, I'd rather not spend money on a new $400 machine, and I'm almost positive a MonHun Switch announcement will make me do some irresponsible purchases :[

tuffy

Though Capcom's not going to undercut their XX sales by announcing a Switch version of anything yet, MH5 for the Switch does seem like the natural place for it to go since it covers the local multiplayer aspect its Japanese audience likes and the home console aspect that Western players like.

I expect will get a Monster Hunter Direct before long announcing a Generations Ultimate and Stories for the West as a nice sendoff for the 3DS. Even though the latter underperformed in Japan, bringing it over would be a way to recoup some of its costs.

Skeletos311

I think they'll do MH5 on Switch.

I am wondering if they'll release MHXX on 3DS over here, though. They haven't said anything about that or MH Stories. I hope we're not left waiting for MHS and MHXX to come out on 3DS and THEN we get MH5, like a year after Japan.

bought.
MH tri wii
MH 3
MH 3 wii u
MH 4
MH GEN

no game was different.
i want an open world.
on the switch.

that will make me buy a new one
if there is one game that needs better gfx.

it is this game.

Open world? Fuck that.

I don't want to spend more time running from zone to zone not fighting than I have to. I like the system they have in place now as it lets them have a variety of different terrain all in the same zone without having to justify the travel/distance.

Neoxon

I think they'll do MH5 on Switch.

I am wondering if they'll release MHXX on 3DS over here, though. They haven't said anything about that or MH Stories. I hope we're not left waiting for MHS and MHXX to come out on 3DS and THEN we get MH5, like a year after Japan.
Considering that Capcom may have to invest in HD assets for MH5, a Switch/PS4 release is indeed a possibility.

Open world? Fuck that.

I don't want to spend more time running from zone to zone not fighting than I have to. I like the system they have in place now as it lets them have a variety of different terrain all in the same zone without having to justify the travel/distance.

All they'd have to do is put in fast travel.

Considering that Capcom may have to invest in HD assets for MH5, a Switch/PS4 release is indeed a possibility.

Return of mainline and portable series?

Because there is a zero % chance of them splitting the base of a new mainline entry release by having it on 2 different systems.

ReyVGM

Obviously MH is going to come to Switch eventually.

MH is more popular as a portable game, and even though the 3DS has sold a ton (and will probably get another entry), the future of the MH franchise is definitely with the Switch.

Think about all those franchises the 3DS got (Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Etrian Odyssey, Layton, etc.), all of that will eventually come to the Switch.

Khezu

I literally bought the Switch because of the potential MH coming to it.

Need to hurry up.

Not sure XX is the one I want ported, but I'll take anything.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Open world? Fuck that.

calm down son.

i meant one zone.
and no stupid part loading.

calm down

Neoxon

Return of mainline and portable series?

Because there is a zero % chance of them splitting the base of a new mainline entry release by having it on 2 different systems.
Didn't they do that for MH3U? Though to be fair, the 3DS could connect to the Wii U.

sinonobu

Banned
I don't see this remaining nintendo exclusive if they actually make HD versions from scratch.

Might as well port it to ps4 and pc or something .

If it's a 3ds "HD" port I guess it's different.

Doubt they'll make ps4 or pc version of monster hunter.

Monster Hunter is Japanese centric game and neither pc or Ps4 games sell well there.

There's only two PS4 games that has surpassed half million copies, while Wii U had like 8 or more million sellers.

The Hermit

This is a no-brainer, but it'll never be developed "for Switch" as long as 3DS is around.

They tried with the WiiU version ( it was great btw) but the sales were obviously low.

It will come to Switch I am sure of it.

Next year we will be drowned in quality games, just watch...

magnetic

I'm counting the days till we leave this dinosaur hardware behind us. I played 3,4 and X but now that I'm getting older I just can't deal with those low res screens and horrible ergonomics anymore.

D_prOdigy

Very hot take incoming: I honestly think MH3U on Wii U's visual fidelity was relatively serviceable despite the lack of #CompellingTextures

I don't think Capcom are going to shit themselves with the idea that they have to put out something that rivals Horizon or BotW.

Monster Hunter is Japanese centric game and neither pc or Ps4 games sell well there.

There's only two PS4 games that has surpassed half million copies, while Wii U had like 8 or more million sellers.

That's why they're trying to expand the brand to the west. It will be really hard for Capcom to invest into HD assets and ignore the massive PS4 global installed bases.

Kyoufu

PS4 would be their gateway to the global market though. A company of Capcom's caliber would not focus on a single, declining market for growth. Sharing assets between Switch and PS4 makes too much sense to not execute tbh.

mothball

Yeah, I don't believe the team that's been milking their ancient assets for as long as they have will do anything special for MH5.

It'll probably look like MH3U with better textures but otherwise similar poly counts.

Demoli

please tell. besides the obvious overal gameplay changes

those changes are waht matters. MH without zones would be increadibly different and would change important mechanics like monster roaming, traps, baiting and luring, etc.

3 added water combat, 4 added mounting and more uneven terrain. X added styles. I'd rather keep the series as is and evolve the gameplay without turning it into yet another open world. Let some series do what they are good at.

If you want open world hunting games theres plenty around, just let us have monhun dammit.

PS4 would be their gateway to the global market though. A company of Capcom's caliber would not focus on a single, declining market for growth.

Thats where the tv/handheld switch comes in. I don't care if it's exclusive or not as long as i can play it on the go, but i honestly doubt it's multiplatform

molnizzle

Yeah, I don't believe the team that's been milking their ancient assets for as long as they have will do anything special for MH5.

It'll probably look like MH3U with better textures but otherwise similar poly counts.

Don't care as long as I can play it with a controller.

PS4 would be their gateway to the global market though. A company of Capcom's caliber would not focus on a single, declining market for growth.

I can see them ignoring PS4 if they decide to go 3DS/Switch. But if they leave behind the 3DS, then it'll be Switch/PS4 for sure. I don't think Switch is going to sling past PS4 in Japan so quickly as to go about it another way.

Dinjoralo

It'd be really nice if they just made something in HD already, on a platform where the long play sessions make fucking sense. These games sell freaking gangbusters in Japan, there's no way they'd stop turning a profit if the budget went up for that.

Can't enjoy it on a 240p screen and one garbage joystick/circle pad. I actually went back to Freedom Unite on my Vita over MH4U. Even harder to go back now that the Switch is my definitive handheld.

Give me proper camera control and graphics. Absolutely surprised they didn't just port something like MH4U to Switch for launch day. Would have sold so many systems.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
those changes are waht matters. MH without zones would be increadibly different and would change important mechanics like monster roaming, traps, baiting and luring, etc.

3 added water combat, 4 added mounting and more uneven terrain. X added styles. I'd rather keep the series as is and evolve the gameplay without turning it into yet another open world. Let some series do what they are good at.

If you want open world hunting games theres plenty around, just let us have monhun dammit.

Thats where the tv/handheld switch comes in. I don't care if it's exclusive or not as long as i can play it on the go, but i honestly doubt it's multiplatform

i never said the games where crap .. but i do believe they need a serious upgrade

It needs to be on Switch.

I didn't even bother with Generations, because MH4U already provided enough of a fix. There's still so much stuff to do in that game even after I spent hundreds of hours in it.

I'm not hungry for more MH, so I just hope to see a Switch version in a year or two. It's definitely a nice title to have for the library.

Did you guys take a look at the Dauntless trailers? I don't like the art direction so much but maybe that will push Capcom to make a real HD Monster Hunter?
I don't think the games imitating MH got it until now though. The current depth of the mechanics is something that was built over the years and must be really hard to replicate from scratch.

Cerium

It sounds like they're waiting for the install base to be there which would indicate a holiday release in the Odyssey timeframe.

MH3G launched alongside MK7 if I recall correctly?

Top Bottom