• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom on Monster Hunter possiblity on Switch: "Hope you enjoy it on 3DS first."

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
PS4 would be their gateway to the global market though. A company of Capcom's caliber would not focus on a single, declining market for growth. Sharing assets between Switch and PS4 makes too much sense to not execute tbh.

Well Switch is growing at a significant rate outside of Japan now

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I already enjoyed it on 3DS. 4U was incredible, to the point that generations can't match.

What are your Ideas for an upgrade?
no loading between zones.
more crafting and more random loot.
Oh and bring an easy version for noobs so capcom gets more money.

D_prOdigy

I can see it showing up on PS4 as a multiplat, but the people saying that Capcom would be looking to PS4 as some kind of 'no brainer' in order to do well outside Japan are really ignoring the fact that Nintendo are the ones who have done more than anybody - Capcom and certainly Sony - to nurture and grow the franchise in the west.

I imagine the series probably will show up on PS4 sometime this generation, because I'm not sure Nintendo can strike the same kind of exclusivity deal once again. But very much doubt it would be the lead platform.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm betting MH 5 hits Switch, but also at the very least, PS4 as well (PC is a ripe market for proper MH too). Capcom is going to want big user bases to sell to in order to make more money back. 60m+ and a PC market just seems too big to ignore.

Slaythe

Yeah unless Nintendo is actively helping them with publishing, localization etc... there's no way it doesn't end up on ps4.

It's capcom after all.

The switch has no "gameplay" advantage over ps4 unlike the previous gimmicky consoles so it would be very easy to just make a PC version then port it to Switch and Ps4.

ChrisD

The real question is if transmogging will be kept in 5.

Will never be able to go back to not having this without feeling really annoyed. Don't even own XX, but have wanted the feature since playing FU (my first MH) in 2011.

Way too much good armor design in MH to see 90% of it go unseen in gameplay because of sucky stats.

Yeah unless Nintendo is actively helping them with publishing, localization etc... there's no way it doesn't end up on ps4.

Don't they do this already? Nintendo would be crazy not to offer that to capcom for MH on the switch.

The switch has no "gameplay" advantage over ps4 unlike the previous gimmicky consoles so it would be very easy to just make a PC version then port it to Switch and Ps4.

You mean besides being portable, the most important gameplay feature of monster hunter?

It's capcom after all.

Mainline entries will probably come to PS4 and PC. Heck, I'd be surprised if they didn't.

But...

What gimmicks and gameplay advantages did 3DS bring to the table for Monster Hunter? If anything, 3DS was a hurdle, which is why Nintendo created an entire add-on accessory for the series (Circle Pad Pro).

dan2026

It's long past time for monster Hunter to leave that blurry, tiny old screen.

It should also be a proper open world, instead of those weird segmented areas.

I won't, because I'm done with Monster Hunter on the tiny portables. I can deal with it being a handheld-only Switch game, but I'm done with the ridiculous right-nub on 3DS for a game like MH.

How is Nintendo not throwing money at Capcom to get a Monster Hunter game out on the Switch ASAP?

Shengar

Capcom pls
I'm not buying it
Just show us the Switch version

They are going to make new assets?
MHGen already had some monsters textures changed to a better one. Contrary to popular believe, Capcom do improve their game graphics. Only subtly and focused on animation more.
no loading between zones.
more crafting and more random loot.
Oh and bring an easy version for noobs so capcom gets more money.
Its already have a built in easy mode and it's called low rank.
Seriously Low Rank is braindead easy and this game is played by people of all age in Japan. Even Salary-man play MH on their break. There's no fucking reasons to further add "easy mode" for the sake of accessibility.

dan2026

I won't, because I'm done with Monster Hunter on the tiny portables. I can deal with it being a handheld-only Switch game, but I'm done with the ridiculous right-nub on 3DS for a game like MH.

How is Nintendo not throwing money at Capcom to get a Monster Hunter game out on the Switch ASAP?
I presume Sony would be throwing money in the same general direction.

Getting a MH game on PS4 would surely be a huge boon for them in Japan.

PKrockin

I would kill for a Monster Hunter on Switch with visual fidelity even better than MH3U.

Does Capcom not understand every big title released near the launch of a console would sold incredibly well even without much marketing?
It's free money.
People who bought those new console are desperate for new games to play.
This is a Nintendo console, there will be plenty of software droughts for Capcom to take advantage of soon. Besides, people are too busy going ga-ga over Zelda right now.

Cerium

MH is not a system seller on consoles. The best selling console version, Tri on Wii, sold worse than every portable entry except the first.

I do expect it to be multiplatform because they've expressed interest in expanding the audience in the west. But it would be for the west, not Japan.

Shengar

It's long past time for monster Hunter to leave that blurry, tiny old screen.

It should also be a proper open world, instead of those weird segmented areas.
This openworld meme needs to die
I make it short

1. Segmented world grants you the ability to set your own pace on fighting monsters because it gives you absolute safe zone in a fight.

2. Segmented area enables Capcom to create more interesting and more varied battleground.

3. Segmented world avoid the world feels like on potato map, makes it feels bigger as Capcom throws random interesting shit on the background. There are usually 6 areas with vastly different environment and there's no way in hell to put them together into a single coherent map.

What do Monster Hunter gain from open world? Nothing. The game is about hunting monsters, not exploration. Horizon already do this but it have different priorities and that doesn't mean MH should follow suit.

DMONKUMA

Maybe they will do a cross platform thing. Monster Hunter still being produced on the 3DS but there's a Switch port of it as well.

dan2026

MH is not a system seller on consoles. The best selling console version, Tri on Wii, sold worse than every portable entry except the first.

I do expect it to be multiplatform because they've expressed interest in expanding the audience in the west. But it would be for the west, not Japan.
I'm not saying you are wrong, but Monster Hunter has never really seemed to me to be a series that benefits greatly from being portable.

Aren't a lot of the hunts and missions quite long and time consuming?

Delio

I wonder what stops Sony from just outright doing the same "deal" people say Nintendo did and getting it only on the PS4?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Capcom pls
I'm not buying it
Just show us the Switch version

MHGen already had some monsters textures changed to a better one. Contrary to popular believe, Capcom do improve their game graphics. Only subtly and focused on animation more.

Its already have a built in easy mode and it's called low rank.
Seriously Low Rank is braindead easy and this game is played by people of all age in Japan. Even Salary-man play MH on their break. There's no fucking reasons to further add "easy mode" for the sake of accessibility.

i know you are a fing pro at this game.
but i know plenty people that find the game still to difficult
grats on being superduper good at the game tho

Maybe they will do a cross platform thing. Monster Hunter still being produced on the 3DS but there's a Switch port of it as well.

"We will get every ounce from these PS2 assets!"

I could see Switch/PS4/PC in the future but I honestly doubt 3DS will get another game after XX. Then again it's Capcom so expect the worst.

Kuusoge

Capcon is stupid.

Why would this NOT be on the Switch.

PS4 version makes no sense. MH caught its glory due to portability

A PS4 version makes a lot of sense from a financial standpoint. It probably won't sell as well as the switch version in Japan, but it will still make make a profit. If monster hunter becomes a switch series, that means the dev team is going to have to make higher quality assets anyways so you might as well produce a version on the ps4 to get the most mileage out of the increased work and dev costs. I can see the ps4 version being successful in the west, despite MH's portable success. It makes sense to put the game on both the switch and ps4 if they are going to already do most of the legwork just from developing the switch version.

Cerium

I'm not saying you are wrong, but Monster Hunter has never really seemed to me to be a series that benefits greatly from being portable.

Aren't a lot of the hunts and missions quite long and time consuming?

The reason Monster Hunter is a phenomenon in Japan is because of the local multiplayer culture that sprung up around it. The series started on PS2 but it was nothing and sold poorly until it hit the PSP and people could meet up and hunt monsters with their friends. It's a very specific dynamic that has been difficult to replicate in other markets.

dan2026

I could easily see a situation where the Switch and the PS4 use mostly the same graphics.
But the Switch would run at 30fps and the PS4 at 60, or something.

That way Capcom could have their cake and eat it, covering both Japan and abroad.

The reason Monster Hunter is a phenomenon in Japan is because of the local multiplayer culture that sprung up around it. The series started on PS2 but it was nothing and sold poorly until it hit the PSP and people could meet up and hunt monsters with their friends. It's a very specific dynamic that has been difficult to replicate in other markets.

Well the other markets play games on big ass HDTVs with comfy controllers and online multi rather than local. They haven't been able to replicate it because they haven't actually tried in any market outside of Japan. And no, putting handheld ports on Wii and Wii U isn't trying. The action game market is not on Nintendo consoles.

Well the other markets play games on big ass HDTVs with comfy controllers and online multi rather than local. They haven't been able to replicate it because they haven't actually tried in any market outside of Japan. And no, putting handheld ports on Wii and Wii U isn't trying. The action game market is not on Nintendo consoles.

My guess is if Monster Hunter 5 is released on both Switch and PS4 in the west, it will sell significantly better on the former.

The only way I see MH becoming a breakout hit on PS4 outside Japan is if it gets its own version built for the ground up for that system.. Which I could see happening, but it's going to be a huge investment for Capcom, so it'll probably only happen if Sony throws a bunch of cash their way to help fund it.

Cerium

I don't disagree. But I was explaining why MH5 on PS4 wouldn't really be any sort of coup in Japan.

nampad

MH will be on Switch for certain but I wouldn't be surprised if Capvom milks the 3ds userbase first before releasing an upgraded version for Switch later for the double dippers.

NSESN

If you want to make an argument search before talking, MHTri isn't a port

Capcom don't want to cut the legs off MHXX 3DS with the announcement of a Switch version so soon.

Also, MH3U bombed as a launch title on the Wii U, so Capcom are right to hold off until Nintendo make that Switch user base grow with Splatoon 2, etc.

I wonder what stops Sony from just outright doing the same "deal" people say Nintendo did and getting it only on the PS4?

If that were to happen Monster Hunter would sell a lot less. The reason it sells so much is because of portability which the PS4 lacks.

depward

The day Monster Hunter releases on Switch, I will buy a Switch.

It's getting really hard to tolerate the 3DS versions. Fine for 3U, got old for 4U and I've only put in 15 hours of Generations despite really wanting to play.

Assuming it's a no brainer for some kind of Switch version hopefully in the next year or two.

Ridley327

Sony doesn't really seem to go out of their way to secure Japanese games these days, as for the most part, they're going to get them anyway. Monster Hunter is a pretty notable exception, but at this point, I don't think that the PS4 is in any need of the series in order to be successful.

Top Bottom