• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom on Monster Hunter possiblity on Switch: "Hope you enjoy it on 3DS first."

Ahh, fair enough. It was the bit about people waiting for a non-3DS MonHun that threw me off.

I mean, it was obviously the smartest choice for Capcom to go to 3DS, but the help Nintendo offered helped seal the deal to keep it away from anywhere else.

If Switch is going to be the base going forward, then it'd make more sense for it to appear elsewhere (more in line with power with other consoles). Whether it will or not though, I dunno. Obviously I'm biased and think Vita is a smart choice (while keeping production values somewhat in check), but still.

No point in a MH for Switch when the game's sales potential would be bottlenecked by the console's supply issues for the foreseeable future.

Fall 2018 release at the earliest.

Oregano

I mean, it was obviously the smartest choice for Capcom to go to 3DS, but the help Nintendo offered helped seal the deal to keep it away from anywhere else.

If Switch is going to be the base going forward, then it'd make more sense for it to appear elsewhere (more in line with power with other consoles). Whether it will or not though, I dunno. Obviously I'm biased and think Vita is a smart choice (while keeping production values somewhat in check), but still.

I'm honestly not sure Vita/Switch will get too many cross-platform games. From Vita side there doesn't appear to be much interest and from the Switch side there's a quite sizable power gap between the two systems.

_Aaron_

Love MH4U. One of my favourite games. Generations was underwhelming.

The worst thing about the two games though is that they are on 3DS. It would be so much better with a proper controller on a big screen.

The reason I main Hammer is because the controls are simple enough to pull off on a 3DS. I find other weapons difficult to be effective with on the system.

I'm honestly not sure Vita/Switch will get too many cross-platform games. From Vita side there doesn't appear to be much interest and from the Switch side there's a quite sizable power gap between the two systems.

Yeah, I'm of the same mindset. But again, I'm one of the people who thinks it's a silly decision that Falcom are doing Sen III on PS4, but that's clearly a power thing. And if Vita isn't powerful enough for a dev like them, it's gonna be nowhere near enough for someone like Capcom.

Though, they've shown they're not interested in bringing their 3DS-focused franchises anywhere regardless.

Eolz

No point in a MH for Switch when the game's sales potential would be bottlenecked by the console's supply issues for the foreseeable future.

Fall 2018 release at the earliest.

Ehh. Obviously for MH5, they wouldn't dare trying to release it this year, but if it's a XX enhanced port/remake, it'd make sense to be this fall. Even with smaller userbase, they did that in the past with 3G both on 3DS and WiiU.

As someone who has never gotten into monster hunter, having it on a platform with 2 solid sticks like the Switch would be enough for me to finally give it a real attempt.

(Played like 20 min of one of the 3ds games and sent it back to gamefly.)

Oregano

Yeah, I'm of the same mindset. But again, I'm one of the people who thinks it's a silly decision that Falcom are doing Sen III on PS4, but that's clearly a power thing. And if Vita isn't powerful enough for a dev like them, it's gonna be nowhere near enough for someone like Capcom.

Though, they've shown they're not interested in bringing their 3DS-focused franchises anywhere regardless.

*shrugs* There must be something we can't see in regards to PS4 releases because JP developers don't seem to care about any other platform nowadays.

Air

Banned
Needs to be on switch. I will never play another monster hunter (or any game) on such a tiny screen again

dan2026

Why are people desperately trying to argue that Capcom would never release Monster Hunter on a non Nintendo platform?

If it ends up on PS4 AND Switch everyone wins, right?

Eolz

Why are people desperately trying to argue that Capcom would never release Monster Hunter on a non Nintendo platform?

Because it's never that simple for MonHun.
They will definitely test something bigger than Frontier on PS4 (even if the plan was Frontier 2 on UE4 for a while), but who knows what.
The only thing people agree on is that they would never put a mainline title as a PS4 exclusive.

Thoraxes

Only if the online and local multiplayer is cross-play as well, otherwise hell no. I'll never buy a console-only MH without some sort of handheld version for local multiplayer and unified onine playerbase.

Mupod

I would kill for a Monster Hunter on Switch with visual fidelity even better than MH3U.

Does Capcom not understand every big title released near the launch of a console would sold incredibly well even without much marketing?
It's free money.
People who bought those new console are desperate for new games to play.

monster hunter on 3DS is basically keeping Capcom alive right now. Announcing a Switch version before MHXX has been out for a little bit would be a bad idea.

Codeblue

I've sunk so many hours into Tri, Tri G، and 4 that I don't think I could start another game derivative of those from scratch. That franchise needs a shake up to bring me back, doesn't matter which console or hand held.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Clearly the solution is for Capcom to continue its failed business strategy of resting our its laurels with the series

You clearly have no idea on what you're talking about, how is it a failed business strategy? Just because it hasn't come to the platform you like?

Anyways, I'd love to see a mainline MH on the Switch, I think it's clearly the next step, since it gives the Japan playerbase the portability they're accostumed to, and can also give the home console feel the West enjoys, the best of both worlds, it can only be a boon for the series.

Regarding PS4 and the like, if Sony are going to do the same to the MH team as they did before (when we didn't get P3rd in the West because of Sony), they might as well not even try, if they have a new mentality, then a PS4/Switch MH would be great.

It's almost obvious that Capcom would bring the Monster Hunter series to the Switch. If it continues to rack up sales numbers, it'd be a no-brainer.

Can't believe I'm going to ignore a MonHun release, but I'm right there with everyone else that can't do another 3ds release. MHX already felt like a huge greatest hits rehash to me, and XX being a enhanced rehash on ancient hardware? No thanks.

Especially not after playing Horizon on the amazing Decima engine, and realizing that it was 80% of what I want out of a mainline MonHun sequel.

Eolz

Can't believe I'm going to ignore a MonHun release, but I'm right there with everyone else that can't do another 3ds release. MHX already felt like a huge greatest hits rehash to me, and XX being a enhanced rehash on ancient hardware? No thanks.

That was kinda the point of X yeah. A stopgap, and some kind of celebration game.
XX didn't really make much sense imo, but they needed it financially.

Especially not after playing Horizon on the amazing Decima engine, and realizing that it was 80% of what I want out of a mainline MonHun sequel.

You'll never get that, be it graphics or gameplay (thank god for the latter).

You clearly have no idea on what you're talking about, how is it a failed business strategy? Just because it hasn't come to the platform you like?

Anyways, I'd love to see a mainline MH on the Switch, I think it's clearly the next step, since it gives the Japan playerbase the portability they're accostumed to, and can also give the home console feel the West enjoys, the best of both worlds, it can only be a boon for the series.

Regarding PS4 and the like, if Sony are going to do the same to the MH team as they did before (when we didn't get P3rd in the West because of Sony), they might as well not even try, if they have a new mentality, then a PS4/Switch MH would be great.

lol no

This isnt fanboy talk. This is about Capcom and how everyone insists they can not afford to do anything to grow the series beyond selling millions in Japan and calling it a day. And Using that money to fund mobile projects and whatever else

They squander the potential of this series and it bothers me that they refuse to deliver anything different in a decade.

I dont care what platform it comes to by they are really dragging their feet and they are happy about MHXX potentially selling another 2 million if that when its peak is much higher?

Also let me clarify. The series is growing despite my issues with it so Im hoping the lack of a western announcement (its breaking the previous precedent establish with 4U which was announced for the west over a year before it came out) is a sign that they have an actual NEW plan for the next Western entry

BlizzKrut

Banned
lol no

This isnt fanboy talk. This is about Capcom and how everyone insists they can not afford to do anything to grow the series beyond selling millions in Japan and calling it a day. And Using that money to fund mobile projects and whatever else

They squander the potential of this series and it bothers me that they refuse to deliver anything different in a decade.

I dont care what platform it comes to by they are really dragging their feet and they are happy about MHXX potentially selling another 2 million if that when its peak is much higher?

Also let me clarify. The series is growing despite my issues with it so Im hoping the lack of a western announcement (its breaking the previous precedent establish with 4U which was announced for the west over a year before it came out) is a sign that they have an actual NEW plan for the next Western entry

The problem is that they cannot afford it, the problem is that while they can do that, they'll get much less profit than what they're doing right now, and as a business, you always prefer spending less money and getting more than what they spent in return.

The problem is that they cannot afford it, the problem is that while they can do that, they'll get much less profit than what they're doing right now, and as a business, you always prefer spending less money and getting more than what they spent in return.

Then demand better?

Im not gonna sit here and feel sorry for them. Dont get me wrong I love them but as a consumer I dont need to be fed the same lines for 10 years and let them off the hook

Its out of our hands and I sincerely hope they find a way to reinvigorate their company so we can stop hearing about how they cant do shit cuz of how broke and conservative they are

nubbe

Monster Hunter is on a 1 year dev cycle
3DS is perfect for that
PS4 & PC isn't, the resources needed for content creation is orders of magnitude higher

Clearly the solution is for Capcom to continue its failed business strategy of resting our its laurels with the series
And by "failed" you mean keeping the company afloat and the IP relevant while their other non-RE7 IPs are already 6 feet under because they failed despite PS4's oh so great western installbase.

And by "failed" you mean keeping the company afloat and the IP relevant while their other non-RE7 IPs are already 6 feet under because they failed despite PS4's oh so great western installbase.

:(

Yeah not happy about it. Disappointed but its not like I want their projects to fail.

Maybe the success of RE7 can send the right message of where they can go forward.

I'd easily pay $60 for an upscaled MHXX on Switch, no problem. It's probably gonna be a pretty long wait for MH5 or whatever. I need some MH in my life in the interim.

Dizzy

Banned
Even as a New 3DS XL owner, MH4 never grabbed me the way MH3 on Wii U did. The monsters really lose all sense of scale on a tiny screen.

With Switch they can appeal to the handheld crowd and people like me who want it on the big screen.

I'd buy a Switch for this.

timberger

I'm surprised they're being so coy about a Switch version when even the Wii U got a mainline MH game at launch. Though considering what happened with the Wii U that's maybe why they're being more cautious this time.

Makes sense to stick with 3DS for the foreseeable future though. As soon as they move the series anywhere else they won't be able to get away with reusing those PS2-level assets every game (Or maybe they will, who knows), so the budget is sure to shoot right up and a company in Capcom's shape, with MH being the IP they seemingly rely on the most at this point, is understandably going to be in no hurry to rock the boat.

Hard to say with Capcom though. They so often don't seem to know what they're doing.

Top Bottom