• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom representative : Street Fighter V would never ship on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtCobra

better to have Dead Rising than StreetFigther, It is a way to see it.. I hope MS invest even more in Killer Instinct and release the season 3 right the day SFV with a ton of markething xD
Very bad idea and a big waste of money as Street Fighter still is the bigger franchise compared to KI. It won't hurt SFV in any meaningful way.

ONI5

Neo Member
better to have Dead Rising than StreetFigther, It is a way to see it.. I hope MS invest even more in Killer Instinct and release the season 3 right the day SFV with a ton of markething xD

Wouldn't be bad if MS did the third season with Capcom and Iron galaxy with guest characters.

Endo Punk

This is sort of the unprecedented partnership you would only see in the PS2 era with a fan favourite franchise. I wonder there will be more, from any of the big 3.

Brunobi02

Neo Member
Fifteen pages already? Can't we just move on an accept this already. Killer Instinct is exclusive on Xbox One so things are even now.

BibiMaghoo

The fact that you're trying so hard to make the situations the same may indicate that they're not the same, because if they were the same it would be obvious and require no explanation.

This isn't trying hard. I cited an example, and made my case. Trying hard would be more than a few posts on my thoughts.

It is not like that. It is just to send the message that the XB1 also have a very good fighting game, and of course to calm our sadness about SFV not comming to our console ;(

Then, I hope MS markets Season 3 on another day other than SFV's release date so both franchises can enjoy growth rather than meaninglessly punching each other.

Nephtes

Fifteen pages already? Can't we just move on an accept this already. Killer Instinct is exclusive on Xbox One so things are even now.

LOL... Look I love Killer Instinct, and I love my Xbox One and I like my PS4...

But nothing in the universe puts Street Fighter and Killer Instinct on the same level. There's nothing "even" about it.

But nothing in the universe puts Street Fighter and Killer Instinct on the same level. There's nothing "even" about it.

I agree that SF is more famous than KI, waaay more famous, but I don't think KI is a minor game compared with SF

PhatSaqs

Banned

Not to mention one is an IP owned by the console maker and the other is a paid for loaner but yeah the comparison isnt exactly 1 - 1.

Brunobi02

Neo Member

Hehe I knew this as I was posting, sorry ;) Street Fighter 5 is gonna be awesome!

Edit: plus I'm a biased PS4 owner......sorry ;)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
We already knew this from the very first announcement. Sony is funding a huge portion of the deveopment for this title, thus it will never go to XB1.

Its more of a Bayo situation than a TR situation. Capcom refused to give a budget to Ono, and would have put it out on their time and in their own form(likely with F2P garbage and microtransactions ala Deep Down and Dragon's Dogma). Sony's funding brought it sooner and probably in a much better form, although that's only my speculation

We already knew this from the very first announcement. Sony is funding a huge portion of the deveopment for this title, thus it will never go to XB1.

Its more of a Bayo situation than a TR situation. Capcom refused to give a budget to Ono, and would have put it out on their time and in their own form(likely with F2P garbage and microtransactions ala Deep Down and Dragon's Dogma). Sony's funding brought it sooner and probably in a much better form, although that's only my speculation

Bayo wouldn't have happened without Nintendo much like Dead Rising 3 wouldn't have happened without MS. SFV is nothing like those. I see it as closer to TR than Bayo.

Inuhanyou

Exactly what I was thinking. Wouldn't be the first time that capcom lies about an exclusive.

The real question is, are you guys comparing the allure of the dominance of the PS2 to XB1? Really?

Especially considering, that was a one off statement by a man who didn't own the franchise, and was just bullish about his work. This is an actual contract and a major investment. Let's not confuse apples and oranges

Jigorath

Banned
Bayo wouldn't have happened without Nintendo much like Dead Rising 3 wouldn't have happened without MS. SFV is nothing like those. I see it as closer to TR than Bayo.

Street Fighter V was not happening without Sony's involvement. I'm not sure why people don't understand this.

Brunobi02

Neo Member
Did street fighter really fall off that bad that capcom needed bailing out from Sony?

Yes they did. Capcom saw the popularity of Smash and how it will overtake EVO and decided to call in for back up. How can poor Chun- li keep up with the likes of Peach and her Amiibo?

Inuhanyou

How you see it is wrong.

Street fighter 5 as it is right now would not be happening without Sony, that's not debatable based on what Ono himself has said. He had to go to Sony to ask them to fund the title because Capcom would not.

That is basically the same as Bayonetta, as Sega could have 'technically' picked up Bayonetta, the same way you say Capcom would have 'eventually' picked up SF, although the second is more likely, its the same scenario. Sony just stepped in.

TR was already funded as CD said and would have come to every platform, it IS coming to every platform, but MS paid to delay the others because they didn't have a UC competitor for the holidays(according to Phil spencer), thus threw in a wad of cash and publishing rights for XB platforms or whatever bullshit.

Its not even in the same stratosphere. Its the same for Titanfall which they got off the ground, which would have been fine if it was a permanent exclusive, but they intentionally went behind Respawns back and paid off EA to get it permanently, which is what i see as absolutely scummy. That's why i don't support Xbox anymore, i dont like how MS does business with this type of thing.

nded

It's simple, Capcom was willing to completely ignore the potential XB1 user base in exchange for funding and assistance from Sony. It was probably not a difficult decision for them since PS4 leads the XB1 by a fairly wide margin worldwide and even when the 360 was trouncing the PS3 and offered superior versions of SFIV, sales of the PS3 version still managed to outpace the 360 version. It sucks for XB1 players and it's not ideal, but that's business for you.

It's the same reason ArcSys ignored the MS platforms for GGXrd and the first Chronophantasma; they just didn't seem to think they were worthwhile platforms for the budget they had and the kind of games the user base seemed to prefer. I know Chronophantasma Extend found its way to the XB1 and GGXrd Revelator likely will as well, but if Sony is as involved with SFV as it seems then PS4 exclusivity might just be for realsies.

Kayant

How is it closer to TR when TR sequel was already in development even after SE's disappointment of the first ones shipments. This is closer to DR3 with the expectation it might have come out but at a much later date.

It's funny how many people in threads on this subject drive by with posts like "I'll play this on PC" like fighting games or Street Fighter is even a thing on PC.

No, 95% of people will be playing this on console, on PS4. But I guess it's nice to have the option to plug a controller into your rig, wait 5 minutes to boot up your PC for a quick match, and have it glitch and crash a few times whilst you sit 10-inches away from your 19in TFT monitor...
Joking

Jump in, dragon punch, wait til they get up, fire ball... After 25 years of that it's just boring gameplay now. The fighting genre needs a huge leap in a new direction.

How about you try DIVEKICK , it's a new fresh concept ... only 2 boutons and the frustest mind game you can think off !!

BibiMaghoo

Street Fighter V was not happening without Sony's involvement. I'm not sure why people don't understand this.

People understand that just fine, they just don't maybe believe it, because to do so is to take the PR line on 100% faith, and that has proven problematic for all of time.

Ushay

Well I don't know about you guys but I'll be getting this on PC, or will just get the PS4 if I see Horizon (or anything else for that matter) being awesome. Won't lie, I dislike deals like this in general.

I've put way too many hours into this game to just pass up on it, gaming is my hobby at the end of the day.

speedomodel

tumblr_m797ki4jmB1qh09nho2_250.gif

PhatSaqs

Banned
What is there not to believe?

I'm sure most SF fans would rather play it in 2016 instead of 2018 and beyond.
That the game wouldnt have happened at all?

And as a SF fan I'm certainly happy. The game is looking phenom and is coming as soon as it is. Thank you based Sony :).

Gestault

I'm sorry I can't contribute to your delusion.

The timeline was sped up, but the idea that Capcom would have stopped using the Street Fighter franchise moving forward is something that goes against every discernible business and creative motivation. A budget shortcoming doesn't stop one of a company's top performers from being the product of choice, especially in a genre as easy to scale up/down as fighting games.

Hardly anyone really believes this though. It may not have happened March 2016 fast but it would have happened for certain.

No, tell me how many years gap there was between SF3 and SF4? So, sure, there probably would have been a SF5 eventually, several years after 4, but certainly it would never have been developed this fast.

People understand that just fine, they just don't maybe believe it, because to do so is to take the PR line on 100% faith, and that has proven problematic for all of time.

It really has nothing to do with taking the PR line 100% on faith but looking at the company and what is happening to them.
People saying SF is a big game and capcom would fund it are not looking at the Japanese industry and companies .
Capcom is the same company that spend near 30 million on mobile games and failed while Ono was asking for SF money .
All there games so far has been HD remakes or games that going to be full of microtransactions .
Maybe we would have gotten SFV in 2018 but it sure as hell won't be the SF game we getting now.

tmtyf

I agree with the other poster, SFV would have come out regardless, just not as quickly. Although If capcom is hurting for money that much to where the game would not be made, i want MS to throw money at them for another capcom VS title just to see the reaction.

I agree with the other poster, SFV would have come out regardless, just not as quickly. Although If capcom is hurting for money that much to where the game would not be made, i want MS to throw money at them for another capcom VS title just to see the reaction.

Wouldn't that be something...

Silver lining on the situation is it is coming to PC. It's unfortunate that Xbox is getting edged out. I always prefer the "Soul Calibur" method of giving each platform an exclusive character over this any day of the week.

And yet the XBox is selling quite well here in America. To just ignore the sales is beyond ignorant. The thing is you only see domination when the market in America is not this way at all. Noone even knows who's going to win the console war here in the states,Sony has a 700,000 unit lead,that is peanuts man. Capcom are watching,you can bet on that. LOL. In a few years I wouldn't be surprised to see this game release on X1 and Nintendo's next platform,if things continue as they are for the X1, and if Nintendo are the old Nintendo of old,pre N64 era. Capcom are just doing lip service for Sony right now. If you look at their history they don't always hold true exclusivity to one platform.

The Dualshock 4 sticks are the worst sticks of any controller on the market. The build quality alone is awful.

I feel like we knew this from the beginning. What puzzles me are some celebratory reactions. What do you as a gamer have to gain from another gamer on a different platform not playing said game? Bragging rights? I don't know, it just seems so mean to me that some gamers are glad that other gamers have less choice.

But TR isn't exclusive, it's timed. This game is not. And no matter what he said before, it is still strange to read that people are happy about the exclusivity. You should address that.

kind of a shame really, sony paying to keep games away from the competition. i guess that's what happens when they get a whiff of success!

Sony paying for exclusives always seems to be a new thing for some people. Now just imagine if MS did the same and the amount of hate they would've got.

Oh boy
Dat concern thrist is real

Degen

I was definitely assuming that other platforms would get a "Super SF5" later

Less exposure is nothing to be happy about

Principate

Saint Titanfall
How you see it is wrong.

Street fighter 5 as it is right now would not be happening without Sony, that's not debatable based on what Ono himself has said. He had to go to Sony to ask them to fund the title because Capcom would not.

That is basically the same as Bayonetta, as Sega could have 'technically' picked up Bayonetta, the same way you say Capcom would have 'eventually' picked up SF, although the second is more likely, its the same scenario. Sony just stepped in.

TR was already funded as CD said and would have come to every platform, it IS coming to every platform, but MS paid to delay the others because they didn't have a UC competitor for the holidays(according to Phil spencer), thus threw in a wad of cash and publishing rights for XB platforms or whatever bullshit.

Its not even in the same stratosphere. Its the same for Titanfall which they got off the ground, which would have been fine if it was a permanent exclusive, but they intentionally went behind Respawns back and paid off EA to get it permanently, which is what i see as absolutely scummy. That's why i don't support Xbox anymore, i dont like how MS does business with this type of thing.

Nah just nah, you can't tell me with a straight face Capcom wouldn't have made SF V without Sony's funding. Itt's predecessor received 3 revisions, 3. and you could even buy them at retail. Capcom did and continues to milk that franchise dry, there's no way in hell they wouldn't have released a SF V considering how big the franchise is.

Would it have come a few years later like it was originally implied yes but it would have still come out. It's not even like it's the expensive game in the world to produce. Rise of the Tomb Raider itself is a likely a much bigger monetary risk, than SF V. It imply Capcom couldn't have made it themselves is to admit that Capcom, is basically broke and on it's last legs. Despite MH still selling 3-4 million every year/other year.

You're ignoring the state of Capcom at the moment. Towards the end of last generation most of their console titles save for Resident Evil 6 underperformed both critically and commercially. Let's look at the facts:

- In Japan, they made bank on the vanilla release on Monster Hunter 4 and poured all of those profits into their mobile division. The following year, 2014, they announced a 50% reduction in profits, mostly off the back of their mobile titles underperforming.

- In that same year, Ono went on record to say that the higher ups at Capcom weren't giving him the financial backing he needed to port USFIV to next generation systems. We'd then go on to find out that USFIV would be coming to PS4, but only because Sony foot the bill.

- Capcom's flagship engine for next generation, Panta Rhei, is being built with assistance from SCE. Nearly 2 years since it was announced, we have yet to see a single AAA title announced that utilises the engine, and Deep Down is nowhere to be seen.

- Not to mention, a Capcom exec mentioned that it was unlikely the company would be able to get a Street Fighter V out before 2018.

- Of the titles we've received from Capcom outside of Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney as of recently, everything has either been a HD remaster or a port. Yes, they released Resident Evil Revelations 2, but it was released on a budget and episodically as a hedge bet.

- Dead Rising 3, one of Capcom's only ground up next generation games so far was financed by Microsoft.

- Itsuno just recently has said that he's not quite sure if he'd be able to make a Devil May Cry 5, despite the fact that Devil May Cry 4 sold as well as it did.

Now, when you look at all of that, does that speak to you of a company that's in good shape? It sure doesn't look like it to me. If Capcom still hasn't got their next generation engine out, 2 years into the gen, and are relying on HD remasters to prop them up, then I don't see how its farfetched to imagine they'd need financial assistance to Street Fighter 5 started, developed, and released in a timely fashion.

I can add links/sources for each of my points if it please you too.

Inuhanyou

Silver lining on the situation is it is coming to PC. It's unfortunate that Xbox is getting edged out. I always prefer the "Soul Calibur" method of giving each platform an exclusive character over this any day of the week.

I cant say i care as long as its coming out. If somebody got it out where Capcom refused, that's good enough for me. Now if XB1 PS4 and PC were all in development with Capcom's blessing and sony paid to not have it come to XB1 or PC like TR, then i'd be fucking pissed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom