• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom teases new PS4 game

Sephzilla

The idea of Devil May Cry 5 being a PS4 exclusive hack and slasher despite Sony having God of War isn't a far fetched idea at all. It's not like Devil May Cry didn't originally start as a PlayStation exclusive franchise.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The idea of Devil May Cry 5 being a PS4 exclusive hack and slasher despite Sony having God of War isn't a far fetched idea at all. It's not like Devil May Cry didn't originally start as a PlayStation exclusive franchise.

Dead Rising reverted to exclusive status, after all.

wapplew

Who said it is an exclusive?

Begaria

Dead Rising reverted to exclusive status, after all.
That's because Microsoft forked over the cash to Publish the game. I doubt Sony's going to publish any big budget third party exclusive that they don't own or (Edit:) aren't co-developing this generation.

cheesekao

Having more freedom in the combat flow definitely is more enjoyable imo, but my point is that they are completely different, not that one is better than the other, meaning that Sony can be making the next GoW and have a game like DMC too.
I see where you're coming from but the general public considers Bayo, DMC, and GoW to be of the same genre. Sony could be collaborating with Capcom on a brand new spectacle fighter but I don't think that Sony is in need of one as SSM can push out a GoW rehash and it will most likely sell better than the other 2. Even with that said, I truly hope that they are collaborating on one.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That's because Microsoft forked over the cash to Publish the game. I doubt Sony's going to publish any big budget third party exclusive that they don't own or are co-developing this generation.

I wouldn't be so sure. They already did it with Bloodbourne and they're sort of doing it with Deep Down (Sony is confirmed assisting Capcom with this).

eXistor

Dragon's Dogma 2 PS4 exclusive? I doubt that would turn many heads outside of GAF and othger gaming forums though. I need that game btw, DD1 was so goddamn good.

Korigama

What does DMC4 having sold better than every other DMC have anything to do with me telling you that DmC did not plunge the series into irrelevance?
There's no guarantee that there will even be another Devil May Cry again at this point, be it DmC2 or DMC5. A franchise having enough damage done to it to lead it to be safely concluded as dead sure looks like doomed to irrelevance.

Would there be room for a potential revival by completely scrapping their plans to reboot the series by going back to the old formula with a hypothetical DMC5, pulling the franchise out of its rut to much fanfare? Sure, but no one really believes Capcom when they insist that Devil May Cry is still important to them.

Sephzilla

Sony owns the Bloodborne IP and is the producer(whatever that means).
Sony is co-developing Deep Down.

I imagine if DMC5 would happen and be PS4 exclusive Sony would probably get console exclusive publishing rights or something like that. Or maybe it would be a timed exclusive or something.

I don't care. If we can live in a universe were DmC gets abandoned in favor of a proper DMC5 I can be happy.

There's no guarantee that there will even be another Devil May Cry again at this point, be it DmC2 or DMC5. A franchise having enough damage done to it to lead it to be safely concluded as dead sure looks like doomed to irrelevance.

Would there be room for a potential revival by completely scrapping their plans to reboot the series by going back to the old formula with a hypothetical DMC5, pulling the franchise out of its rut to much fanfare? Sure, but no one really believes Capcom when they insist that Devil May Cry is still important to them.

Even Capcom, in all of their stupid ignorance, can't be oblivious to the real reasons why DmC bombed while DMC4 and the HD Collection (by remaster standards) succeeded.

I don't believe the Devil May Cry franchise is severely hurt to the point where we'll never see a DMC game again. The only way that will happen is if DmC2 gets trotted out.

BadWolf

That's because Microsoft forked over the cash to Publish the game. I doubt Sony's going to publish any big budget third party exclusive that they don't own or are co-developing this generation.

If it's of the caliber of SF5 or DMC5, they will.

It would be great if it's Dragon's Dogma 2 but I highly doubt it.

I'd lean toward it being Onimusha or Dino Crisis. Maybe Devil May Cry? Hard to say given so little.

Toad.T

Banned
Watch it be something wanted, but still disappointing. Like a cross-platform release of that leaked Jojo ASB 2. (If they still even have the license.)

Personally, I'm hoping that Capcom's "Top men" (As was said numerous times) have finally figured out what to do with their 3rd biggest selling IP.

This is Ono's game presumably, and there's a non-trivial announcement at Capcom Cup. If memory serves this is a Dimps collaboration again?

My hunch is a new fighting game.

Korigama

Even Capcom, in all of their stupid ignorance, can't be oblivious to the real reasons why DmC bombed while DMC4 and the HD Collection (by remaster standards) succeeded.

I don't believe the Devil May Cry franchise is severely hurt to the point where we'll never see a DMC game again. The only way that will happen is if DmC2 gets trotted out.
I want to believe, I really do. Prove me wrong, Capcom. Prove me wrong.

Endo Punk

Unless the new game is on another level of crrrazy I wont touch another Capcom game until I get my DMC5. Franchise deserves redemption, it was put out to death for no reason. It was on a gameplay and sales high and was fucked over. Despicable act.

Sephzilla

I want to believe, I really do. Prove me wrong, Capcom. Prove me wrong.

I want to believe too.

But, in the back of my mind, I still am reminded that this is the same Capcom that thought Devil May Cry needed a westernized reboot in the wake of DMC4 being one of the better selling character action titles ever. So I don't even know what to expect. Granted, apparently Inafune was responsible for the idea that led to DmC existing before he left the company - so many now that that mindset isn't there anymore the hopes of a proper DMC are still alive.

I'm probably setting myself up for a massive let down.

cheesekao

Things may change though with Sony being in the mix. They brought back Sly Cooper, Oreshika and MediEvil despite their previous games not having sold well and falling into obscurity.

entremet

xs0pv67.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBEXSiFzOfU

DmC was DMC5.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DmC was DMC5.

It wasn't. Capcom has clarified in interviews and Itsuno has even talked about "DMC5" as a theoretical future title.

I want to believe too.

But, in the back of my mind, I still am reminded that this is the same Capcom that thought Devil May Cry needed a westernized reboot in the wake of DMC4 being one of the better selling character action titles ever. So I don't even know what to expect. Granted, apparently Inafune was responsible for the idea that led to DmC existing before he left the company - so many now that that mindset isn't there anymore the hopes of a proper DMC are still alive.

I'm probably setting myself up for a massive let down.

I have precious little faith in Capcom as of late, but DMC has never been a series on the chopping block in my mind. The sales data of the series as a whole indicates a powerful property in their portfolio, and they have internal developers skilled in these arenas to make something great. The question, for me, has always been DMC5 or DmC2.

Begaria

I wouldn't be so sure. They already did it with Bloodbourne and they're sort of doing it with Deep Down (Sony is confirmed assisting Capcom with this).

Bloodborne?

Deep Down?

Sony owns Bloodborne, not From Software, and Sony Japan is co-developing it. While Sony may not own Deep Down, it appears they are co-developing it, or at least have some part in the creation process. Both of these games go along with exactly what I stated: I doubt Sony's going to publish any big budget third party exclusive that they don't own or aren't co-developing this generation. According to what little we know and what little research we've done, it looks like Capcom is the one whom is Publishing Deep Down.

Fake Edit: Looking back at what I said, I used "are co-developing" when I should've said "aren't co-developing". The original grammar looks like it states that Sony won't publish games that they ARE co-developing :p that's just silly of me.

Top Bottom