• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom to announce a big title for PS4 at E3, possibly Resident Evil

A Dragons Dogma 2 would get me to buy a PS4. I'm skeptical that they'll ever make a new one though. The budget was huge and it only sold okay.

4005.gif

whats wrong? KI is awesome!

Riposte

Is that 5.6 million number ship or sold, I wonder.

A definitive edition of RE6 would only be exciting to me if it came with a chunk of new content. I think RE6's DLC plans got scrapped or simply never existed (despite Capcom once saying they are interested in making DLC expansion content to bridge major releases), so it wouldn't feel like a "Gold" version. Then again, the precedent has been set with games like Tomb Raider. RE5 up-port would be disappointingly funny, although if they didn't use that move to port Gold content to PC, then it would just be tragically sad. Anyway, I think I do think its RE7. Enough time has passed.

If anything Revelations was much better than RE6. How can you be an RE fan and like RE6 which was abysmal and generic?

Easy.

First: RE6 is neither of those things. While it is highly flawed at times and there's room for improvement (making a direct sequel all the more appealing), it is anything but generic as there's simply nothing else quite like it in the TPS space and outside its low points it makes excellent use of its mechanics (outstanding pool of enemies, varied environments, interesting/fresh multiplayer design, potent difficulty settings - plenty of opportunities to make use of the layered tools you are given). On the other hand, Revelations is like the ShopRite brand of RE4/5 - it nowhere near the return to roots that the press releases would tell you. More of a cheap knockoff (though not worthless) than a proper successor; it's all promise, no potential. Regardless if you like it more, it is most certainly dumbed-down mechanically in comparison to even RE4, let alone RE6. I want the series and, by consequence, it's genre to stay at its mechanical (and diverse) pinnacle rather than feel pressure from lowbrow simplistic scare-fests the garage devs like so much (plz don't let me down Mikami).

Second: I'm a day-one fan of Resident Evil and I don't really care about this poser nonsense of hating good games because I'm not stuck in bitter dogmatic thinking; no interest upholding the "appearance" of being a hardcore Resident Evil fan and whatever agenda that is suppose to entail. I prefer real depth over the appearance of liking depth. Blah blah Michael Bay blah AAA blah videogames were better back in the old days blah. I'll take the contradicting and controversial narrative that is created when I personally judge each game on its own merits.

Setsuna

If it's RE7 I hope they use the gameplay and movement model from RE4/5 as a base. And use *nothing* from RE6.

Oh please, I played resident evil 5 again yesterday after I beat 6, and the gameplay and movement systems are just a worse version of whats in 6

KingJ2002

this gen... Capcom has a grand opportunity to unfuck their series

If it's a new Resident Evil... reboot it. Either retell the story or stick with a new protagonist and leave all the confusion with RE6

go back to survival horror.

no more RE mixed with Gears Of War.

Oh please, I played resident evil 5 again yesterday after I beat 6, and the gameplay and movement systems are just a worse version of whats in 6

I very much disagree. RE5 had terrific movement and controls. The only thing preventing it from perfection was no walk-and-shoot. RE6, on the other hand, had super floaty controls that felt disconnected from everything on screen. It didn't feel right at all.

Put RE6's sexy combat/shooting mechanics in a game with a superb single-player experience, and they'll have my money.

Deep Down obviously is built upon that basic framework (because money), but looks to have most of those features cut in favor of rpg game play. That and F2P shenanigans.

shaowebb

If there is a "Lost Planet Cycle" then this thread is it. This whole thing seriously gives me deja vu of every single new Lost Planet announcement they've ever built up to.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anything other than SF4 would be surprising. I'm just hoping that RE4 HD comes out on PS4 at some point. That's about all the excitement I can muster for Capcom these days.

Gimme Dino Crisis and please try to make it not completely terrible. Release it around the same time as Jurassic World in 2015, get that dinosaur hype!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If there is a "Lost Planet Cycle" then this thread is it. This whole thing seriously gives me deja vu of every single new Lost Planet announcement they've ever built up to.

Nah, every Lost Planet thread is:

"Who besides the Japanese wants a sequel to Lost Planet <x>?"
"NO U I LIKED IT"-Niche fan

Meanwhile Biohazard gets old-school fans (like me) that want the 0-3/CVX style back. 4 Nu Fans that want that back. 5 fans that think it's better than 6 and the vocal minority that think 6 somehow is good outside of Mercenaries.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It says PS4... wouldn't RE be multiplat?

The Xbox One isn't even out in the country the news report is from and is going to sell next to zero units there, so it's fairly plausible it's a multiplatform game that's being reported as a PS4 game.

Like similarly it wasn't unusual to call something an XBLA game to indicate the general size and status when it was also on Steam and PSN.

Korigama

Nah, every Lost Planet thread is:

"Who besides the Japanese wants a sequel to Lost Planet <x>?"
"NO U I LIKED IT"-Niche fan

Meanwhile Biohazard gets old-school fans (like me) that want the 0-3/CVX style back. 4 Nu Fans that want that back. 5 fans that think it's better than 6 and the vocal minority that think 6 somehow is good outside of Mercenaries.
I liked RE1-3, as well as 4. I never, ever want to see anything as terrible as CVX again.

Strange i could have sworn RE2 sold like 8 million.

Capcom has a strange way of counting rereleases of games. The combined sales of different versions of RE2 and Street Fighter 2 have almost certainly sold more than RE5. But it sounds better to say in their report that a more recent game is their best seller.

It's gonna be exclusive DLC for Street Fighter exclusive to PS4. Each costume will be $2.99 a piece or you can buy the lot and save money for the low low price of $49.99

I could get into a new RE if they drop the pretense of it being a survival game and thus forcing crappy controls on the player.

Make a RE that is action based with familiar characters, ditch the controls to make it more playable (think traditional 3rd person, TR, Uncharted, etc.) Keep the somewhat limited ammo, platforming not needed but I won't deduct points if it is. Keep herbs and crafting, make it a real-time thing where you have to be mindful of wandering undead/infected/whatever. Throw in some scare/jump moments for old times sake.

And fuck it clone UC2's MP mode pre-shit patches.

TLDR:
Uncharted with zombies and RE flavor.

It will print moneys!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The Xbox One isn't even out in the country the news report is from and is going to sell next to zero units there, so it's fairly plausible it's a multiplatform game that's being reported as a PS4 game.

Like similarly it wasn't unusual to call something an XBLA game to indicate the general size and status when it was also on Steam and PSN.

That explains Xbox. But where is the Wii U mention.

HardRojo

DMC5 and USF4 port would be amazing news.
I haven't forgotten about Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and no physical release of Dual Destinies so Capcom you better start playing your cards right.

&#12496;&#12452;&#12458;&#12495;&#12470;&#12540;&#12489; means Biohazard guys.
Yeah it says something about Biohazard and the Biohazard series, if it was only in Hiragana and Katakana I would be able to read it, didn't feel like learning Kanji because it was more complicated and I don't have much time :(

SkylineRKR

Yup. 1 million less than RE5, but still high enough that they're 3rd on Capcom's Platinum List. Clearly, people want action RE to stay.

Yep. RE6 was too fractured, and likely too many people worked on it. It was like FFXIII, Capcom discarded a lot of things its prequel set in motion likely to appease the complaining hardcore. Thus getting RE6 which was a bit of everything but nothing worked out extremely well.

Capcom shouldn't have been afraid to build further upon RE5. Just a better inventory system, AI and walk n shoot would've worked. I dislike the RE5 campaign, but mainly for the no walk n shoot (it didn't feel good in RE5, because that game throws a shitload of mobs at you.. RE5 is not RE4), and crappy AI helper that could die and wasted your ammo. And its setting didn't work out imo, but thats just my taste. Despite its controls I loved Mercs though, probably put like 50 hours in that. For that alone it was a good purchase.

RE6 fixed the AI problems, it was much like GoW in that it doesn't influence you at all. But was probably a worse game in everything else. Game lacked punch, capping a zombie or kicking him in the face didn't feel good. This is especially apparent in Mercs, which I absolutely don't place at the same height as RE5's. Co-op felt lacklustre somehow... maybe because RE6 was less confined and stages were too long/boring. Boss battles were like you felt you didn't do shit.

Teknoman

Yep. RE6 was too fractured, and likely too many people worked on it. It was like FFXIII, Capcom discarded a lot of things its prequel set in motion likely to appease the complaining hardcore. Thus getting RE6 which was a bit of everything but nothing worked out extremely well.

Capcom shouldn't have been afraid to build further upon RE5. Just a better inventory system, AI and walk n shoot would've worked. I dislike the RE5 campaign, but mainly for the no walk n shoot (it didn't feel good in RE5, because that game throws a shitload of mobs at you.. RE5 is not RE4), and crappy AI helper that could die and wasted your ammo. And its setting didn't work out imo, but thats just my taste. Despite its controls I loved Mercs though, probably put like 50 hours in that. For that alone it was a good purchase.

RE6 fixed the AI problems, it was much like GoW in that it doesn't influence you at all. But was probably a worse game in everything else. Game lacked punch, capping a zombie or kicking him in the face didn't feel good. This is especially apparent in Mercs, which I absolutely don't place at the same height as RE5's. Co-op felt lacklustre somehow... maybe because RE6 was less confined and stages were too long/boring. Boss battles were like you felt you didn't do shit.

Graphics felt muddy compared to 5 as well.

Yeah, makes sense. Just seems weird to specifically note that platform, like why couldn't it just say "big Capcom game at E3" but now I'm just getting into semantics.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

That's what I was thinking too. PS4 game does not equal PS4 exclusive.

Takuhi

The context of the article is that Capcom has been fucking up with their smart phone development and by backing the wrong horse in releasing a game for Xbox One but not having anything significant for the more popular PS4. But they're going to try to turn things around by reorganizing their smart phone and PC development teams and—here's where the quote starts—that they plan to announce a major game that's also for the PS4 at E3. (So presumably not exclusive.) The title "is expected to be" a Resident Evil game and it's "expected" that "RE 7" would sell about as well as "RE 6." No indication of what their source is.

orochi91

MS should consider buying up RE7 and Dino Crisis exclusivity, it would net them
so much mind share, hype and sales plus the added benefit of having appeal in Japan.
It may be unrealistic though.

Hell, they should just buy out Capcom.

SkylineRKR

Resident evil 5 had muddier textures with a better anti aliasing solution. While resident evil 6 had better textures but a worse Anti aliasing implementation fxaa

Character models looked far better in RE5. Although it was more canned perhaps. I liked how the zombies or whatever looked in RE5 though it was sort of retarded that they would stop in your face all of a sudden (which was to compensate for the ancient gameplay). I didn't mind this in RE4 back then.

Sean*O

Hope it's RE7 but will probably be REmaster4.

Actually I really wih for REmake4 akin to the old school REmake on GC, but since they just did a relatively half ass PC port (not the jump in quality like REmake over the original RE) it will probably just be a ported copy of the 60fps pc rerelease.

DVCY201

&#12496;&#12452;&#12458;&#12495;&#12470;&#12540;&#12489; means Biohazard guys.

It clearly means &#12487;&#12451;&#12494;&#12463;&#12521;&#12452;&#12471;&#12473; obviously! Jeez

You needed a friend in RE5 to play with. That was the best way to enjoy it, and my friend and I still talk about it. We ran through the entire game in 1 night.

When I got RE6, we didn't even finish Chris' Campaign before turning it off. It's just so...boring; the whole game is. It throws all this stuff at you, and none of it really meshes. The ramping action in Leon's, the J'avo in Chris', and the awful stealth in Sherry's. And it was all wrapped up in a ridiculous, boring plot. The whole
clone
idea is just...awful. Mechanically, the game is pretty versatile. Yet, they removed the option of upgrading weapons which hurt it, in my opinion.

It's insane, because I bought the Japanese Artbook and it's great. The ideas, monsters, etc. that they were conjuring were fantastic. Yet, alot of it got cut or swapped out. There was a ridiculous amount of potential with RE6.

Top Bottom