• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Caribbean Official: Mexico's president 'considering' scrapping US trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
MEXICO CITY (AP) — A senior government official says Mexico's president is "considering" canceling next week's visit to Washington following President Donald Trump's order to begin construction of a wall between the two countries.

The decision to rethink the visit comes amid growing outrage in Mexico, and a sense among many that President Enrique Pena Nieto has been too weak in the face of Trump's tough policy stance.

The official, who was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity, said the administration "is considering" scrapping the Jan. 31 visit. "That's what I can tell you."

https://apnews.com/a6afd5a896b24abd...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Skyzard

Banned
Maybe the Mexican government though it was a bluff too.

Probably best to meet when you've thought things through.

UberTag

Mexico aren't paying for that fucking wall.
If Nieto capitulated and gave any sort of concession to Trump, it would be political suicide for him.
Hopefully he cans the trip. Make Donald come to him if he wants to negotiate a payment plan for the wall.

It would also set a nice precedent for other global leaders. It's bad enough May is running up to the U.S. as quick as possible.

If Nieto capitulated and gave any sort of concession to Trump, it would be political suicide for him.
Hopefully he cans the trip. Make Donald come to him if he wants to negotiate a payment plan for the wall.

It would also set a nice precedent for other global leaders. It's bad enough May is running up to the U.S. as quick as possible.

How can Peña kill that of which is already dead?

And I'm not too sure about us "not paying for the wall" when Peña is a puppet to Washington.

How Mexico's President Laid the Foundation for a Wall

slit

Mexico aren't paying for that fucking wall.

They won't directly. I have a feeling Trump is going to try and swipe billions in immigrant payments sent home to Mexico and then say the immigrants are paying for it themselves. Of course that won't completely pay for it but it screws the Mexican people over which will be good enough to his followers.

They won't directly. I have a feeling Trump is going to try and swipe billions in immigrant payments sent home to Mexico and then say, the immigrants are paying for it themselves. Of course that won't completely pay for it but it screws the Mexican people over which will be good enough to his followers.

Hmm not bad. How about seized assests and money from known cartel associates? I wonder if that's a possibility as well.

krazen

Was this the same President that helped him with that photo op of a meeting during the campaign? Nice of him to grow a spine

Ihyll

I don't know what the Mexican government can do here. The U.S is the largest market in the world, 80℅ of Mexico's exports go to the U.S which is also it's biggest trading partner. The amount of money Mexican citizens send back to Mexico makes up a large part of their income also.

I hope Mexico is smart enough to work something out.

Slayven

I don't know what the Mexican government can do here. The U.S is the largest market in the world, 80℅ of Mexico's exports go to the U.S which is also it's biggest trading partner. The amount of money Mexican citizens send back to Mexico makes up a large part of their income also.

work what out?

They don't want no part of the wall. But if they want to act like a an adult and talk trade then they will.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Mexico needs to stop being so reliant on the US economy regardless of this wall talk. IMO we should be strengthening ties with China and Mercosur countries. We will be losing on exposure to the American market regardless, with Trump's proposed idea on raising tariffs on imported goods across the board.

Alebrije

Pena Nieto will sell Mexico to Trump, this guy is worse than Maduro and we are doomed because as society we are lazy and will no do anything about this.

Trump does not needs to be a genius to get the wall, he just basically needs to tell to Enrique Pena Nieto something like this : - You know Enrique, we have beautifull information about your corrupt behaviors so we can get you on jail once you are not president of Mexico.

To control Mexico you just need to control the president

We are doomed

Slayven

Honestly if i was a head of state and i was looking at a america, i would be prepping for the worse and trying to keep them at arms length.

"I don't have to kill you, but I don't have to save you either"

America is heading to irrelevance on the world stage

Nephtis

if Mexico's government and companies got their heads out of their asses and actually work *for* Mexico instead of their own self interests, we wouldn't need to rely on the US at all. Corruption is so rampant though that it's forced a symbiotic relationship with the US.

Even if we were to start trading with other counties, the overall economy will still be shit. Mexico's on a downward spiral. :\

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Pena Nieto will sell Mexico to Trump, this guy is worse than Maduro and we are doomed because as society we are lazy and will no do anything about this.

Trump does not needs to be a genius to get the wall, he just basically needs to tell to Enrique Pena Nieto something like this : - You know Enrique, we have beautifull information about your corrupt behaviors so we can get you on jail once you are not president of Mexico.

To control Mexico you just need to control the president

We are doomed
you really have no idea of what you are talking about here. Mexico is fucking first world compared to the failed state Venezuela currently sits at.

Dai101

Banned
He didn't even do anything.

Exactly. Neither went to squirm in a corner which is what everyone was predicting he would do.

Nonetheless, we should still be careful of what those negotiations are about. I'm glad this fucker showed face but i ain't leaving him off the hook.

Honestly if i was a head of state and i was looking at a america, i would be prepping for the worse and trying to keep them at arms length.

Meanwhile the UK is set to be going all in on being its little buddy.

At best it's embarrassing to be complicit in the Trump admin's bullshit at worst they might start getting ideas from it...

And that should terrify EVERYBODY, not just Americans.

daveo42

Banned
He probably couldn't even get into the country if he wanted to. He'd probably get stopped by Homeland Security, sent to INS, and then deported for being an "Illegal".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom