• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Casper (Mattress Company) Sues Review Sites, Then Buys One To Get Positive Coverage

Macam

Banned
I don't trust any company that advertises on 5 or more of the podcasts I listen to. I guess squarespace is okay but actually I found there servers super slow when I used it.

But I'm not joining any of those underwear subscription services anytime soon.

This is pretty much where I’m at as well.

Drobos are unreliable and has the worst customer service on the face of the earth, Casper’s are just disappointing at best, and Squarespace was okay (ditto Harry’s). But that’s another topic:)

Someone here on GAF recommended Tuft+Needle and I did not regret the purchase. It is the single best purchase I've made in my entire life. I imagine one of its foam competitors would be about the same though.

If I were a shill I would have a bigger mattress.

Vyrance

Someone here on GAF recommended Tuft+Needle and I did not regret the purchase. It is the single best purchase I've made in my entire life. I imagine one of its foam competitors would be about the same though.

If I were a shill I would have a bigger mattress.

I also went with Tuft & Needle, love it so far. Once I got it I wasn't waking up with back pain any more.

There is a small Mattress company in Germany that sells a mattress named "bodyguard anti cartel mattress". Why anti cartel?

The founder made his own mattress after first being just a reseller of other mattresses, but quickly figured out that the bigger companies all do price fixing, they wanted to force him to raise prices and when he didn't he received dirty mattresses or no more products to resell at all.

Going by tests from the "Stiftung Warentest" (German consumer organisation and foundation involved in investigating and comparing goods and services in an unbiased way. ) it did better than the Casper for example for I think half the price.

Elandyll

Banned
Their mattresses are absolute trash for anyone wondering.
Wife and I arw super happy with ours -but- supplemented with a foam topper that they provided to us free of charge (had to wait the trial period of 30 days.. Or maybe it was 90?).

When the CS told us it was an experimental program, I was expecting them to update their mattress with a built-in additional layer, not to try and bully reviewers in providing better reviews for the existing product.

As it stands the Casper mattress is awesome for people who like a very firm sleep.
It includes memory foam, but has no sinking feeling, no weird smell, and does not overheat body/ hardens a lot when cold.

With a comfy 1 inch memory foam topper, it currently is the best sleep we ever had, and we're coming from a $3000 sleep number bed.

And no, I do not get referral incentives :)

I've spent about a month on an Ikea foam mattress between an Airbnb rental and a friend's guest bedroom. I'm not sure if they were the same models but I found both to be comfortable. They're like $300-$500 for most with a couple of cheaper thin ones and a $1k option as well. Plus many people can go to an Ikea to try them out. I'd definitely do that before spending 2x-3x as much on one from the Internet even with a long trial period because returning seems like a headache.

Don't do this unless you're ok with throwing it away and getting a new mattress after three years, because that's how long our Ikea lasted.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't trust any company that advertises on 5 or more of the podcasts I listen to. I guess squarespace is okay but actually I found there servers super slow when I used it.

I mean does this mean you don't trust Amazon cause they run their audible ads fucking everywhere?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Leeza and purple are far superior

They all sleep differently. I wouldn't say any one of the boxes matresses is clearly better than another.

The Wirecutter does a good job in explaining this as they all are constructed slightly different which changes the sleep feel. So X mat might be better for y person due to if they like a super firm bed or not or if they sleep on their side vs their back.

Zinus being the exception as it's not gonna sleep as well as any of the others, but they drastically cut the cost down to a sub $300 price point for most people.

Mashing

Are they? I've been interested in getting a memory foam mattress and I could have sworn Casper was one of the more highly regarded brands in another GAF thread.

I thought it was Leesa and Purple that were the highly regarded ones.

My next mattress has to be good for side sleeper and if it helps manage my acid reflux, that'd be a good bonus.

emag

Those rolled/boxed foam mattresses from Casper, Purple, GhostBed, Nature's Sleep, etc... are all garbage.

There's no practical way a non-rolled/foldable King can get into the bedroom of my townhouse. With that limitation on mind, what would you recommend for a firmer, supportive mattress? (We're currently on a six-year old memory foam one that now only offers sufficient support in the very middle.)

bachikarn

A lot of Gaffers have never slept on a Tempurpedic. I have a Cloud Luxe in my master and a 10" Nature's Sleep in my guest and they don't compare.

Though, when you've slept on garbage your entire life, something marginally better probably feels awesome if you don't feel like spending 4 thousand dollars.

Lol. Yeah, I generally don't want to spend $4K on a mattress.

Timbuktu

Don't do this unless you're ok with throwing it away and getting a new mattress after three years, because that's how long our Ikea lasted.

Indeed. My wife and I were worried about how long the newer mattresses from companies that have only been around a few years would last. I'm not sure if they would be that different from ikea, there aren't really any case studies for that. At the end we went for an old school pocket spring from John Lewis/ Vi-Spring, hopefully we will get at least ten years out of this.

I don't trust any company that advertises on 5 or more of the podcasts I listen to. I guess squarespace is okay but actually I found their servers super slow when I used it.

This is more or less how I feel, but replace "podcasts" with Youtube videos. Squarespace, audible, dollar shave club... nope. I'm either skipping ahead or closing the tab.

The most blatant ad I've seen was done by Casper though, on an otherwise completely unrelated The King of Random video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGuYNwp1OUY

I realize that they're his sponsor and that he does note upfront that it's a paid advertisement, but he namedrops and cuts to Casper footage no less than four times, including a freaking two minute infomercial right in the middle of the video.

I can't really knock Grant for trying to get paid nor Casper for trying to advertise, but it was so blatantly done that it completely turned me off of TKoR's entire channel as well as Casper as a company.

Ugh.

studyguy

Spent like $200 on a Queen size Green Tea Zinus memory foam mattress off Amazon, one of the most modestly priced memory foam mattresses that still seemed like a decent quality.

No fucking regrets, that was 2 years ago.
Same size mattress from Casper, Purple, Tuft/Needle was easily nearly 4x more.
The mattress game online is as bad as it is in brick/mortar stores now.

tokkun

I mean does this mean you don't trust Amazon cause they run their audible ads fucking everywhere?

Is Amazon really your benchmark for trustworthiness?

They have been leading the way in shady affiliate reviews. "I received this product in exchange for my fair and honest opinion" my ass.

This is more or less how I feel, but replace "podcasts" with Youtube videos. Squarespace, audible, dollar shave club... nope. I'm either skipping ahead or closing the tab.

The most blatant ad I've seen was done by Casper though, on an otherwise completely unrelated The King of Random video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGuYNwp1OUY

I realize that they're his sponsor and that he does note upfront that it's a paid advertisement, but he namedrops and cuts to Casper footage no less than four times, including a freaking two minute infomercial right in the middle of the video.

I can't really knock Grant for trying to get paid nor Casper for trying to advertise, but it was so blatantly done that it completely turned me off of TKoR's entire channel as well as Casper as a company.

Ugh.
Dollar shave razors are really good and cheap tho

studyguy

Dollar shave razors are really and cheap tho

Not cheaper than buying your own single blade safetys though. If you're really trying to pinch that penny, it's like $50 bills for a decent safety razor that will last years and pennies for hundreds of single blades for it.

I don't have any kind of issue with audiobook/podcast ads, but you have to be cognizant of that market they're in.

It's really unfortunate to hear when a company does something like this.

I have 3 different memory foam mattresses in my house right now, all purchased within the last year: Queen Amerisleep Revere, Full Casper, and Twin Leesa. My wife and I use the Amerisleep for our bed, and really like it a lot; the model we got, the Revere, is on the stiffer side for a memory foam mattress and may not be for everyone. My 2 year old daughter sleeps on the twin Leesa, and from my own testing its the softest of the 3. My daughter sleeps great on it. The Casper is in our spare bedroom, and will eventually be my daughters bed when she gets older. House guests have said it's very comfortable, and seems to be in the middle in terms of softness.

Specifically regarding Casper, I've also purchased a dog bed from them. With both interactions I've had with the company they seem to have great service, and I'm happy with my purchases. I don't like these shady business practices, and even though I like the mattress well enough, I don't want to support a company which does stuff like this, so I likely won't be recommending them in the future.

Not cheaper than buying your own single blade safetys though. If you're really trying to pinch that penny, it's like $50 bills for a decent safety razor that will last years and pennies for hundreds of single blades for it.

I don't have any kind of issue with audiobook/podcast ads, but you have to be cognizant of that market they're in.
thats good for you but single blades aren’t good for my skin so that isn’t practical.

Just a few weeks ago I bought the cheapest vacuum-sealed memory foam mattress I could find online under the assumption that they're basically all the same and that the only difference is marketing. This seems to support my theory.

Greedings

Remember, advertisers aren't your friends. Even if they are in your ears for 1 or 2 hours a week on your favourite podcast. They've never met you, they are just doing it for the money.

They are literally paid to say good things about the product.

studyguy

thats good for you but single blades aren’t good for my skin so that isn’t practical.

Yeah there's definitely something to be said for the learning curve and the general usage if your skin is more sensitive. Definitely suffered more razor burn when I started but it comes with the territory I suppose.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Meh gillete blades are terrible for me and even if I didn’t have issues with them the price is absolutely insane.

I use them (Dorco) for body shaving but for my sensitive face Gillette is the only thing I can stand. Worth the price to avoid the irritation.

X-Frame

I am going to be in need of a new mattress in a few months and my head is spinning from these new options of beds in a box.

I want firm, am a back sleeper and will want a Queen size. I had originally intended to go the mattress/futon route from White Lotus but they’re still really expensive.

giga

I am going to be in need of a new mattress in a few months and my head is spinning from these new options of beds in a box.

I want firm, am a back sleeper and will want a Queen size. I had originally intended to go the mattress/futon route from White Lotus but they’re still really expensive.
Tuft and needle

Ceres

Banned
I've known of Casper for awhile because they make deals with Instagram accounts with enough followers. Free mattress in exchange for some endorsements in your posts. Some of the USWNT players have gotten them.
The fact that they're shady doesn't come as all that much of a surprise.

rupaul-judging-eyes.gif

Doesn't Casper have a 100 day return policy? Couldn't you have gotten a refund if you hated it?

That’s the thing. The bed was great for the first few months. Then it became lumpy and uncomfortable. I tried flipping the mattress around, sleeping on a different side, but nothing worked. I’ve had it for about a year and a half, I’d say after close to a year it gave out.

Now I wake up with a sore back every morning, and have to sleep at weird angles so my back doesn’t hurt. I’ve slept on other beds and not have a problem, so I believe it’s the Casper mattress.

If you're Canadian and looking for a mattress I have heard great things about Endy, They are way less expensive too.

This what my wife and I went with. I get that it's not the quality of a tempurpedic, but she is incredibly frugal, so it was our compromise. We both like it and haven't had any issues in the year we've had one. They even give you a nicer discount if you drop into their store in Toronto.

Hopefully Casper feels the effects of this. Their advertising push probably got them the customers they wanted, but not the feedback they expected.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't trust any company that advertises on 5 or more of the podcasts I listen to. I guess squarespace is okay but actually I found their servers super slow when I used it.

Lol, this. Casper, Squarespace, Blue Apron (maybe not as much anymore), Stamps.com, etc. There's a group of these that show up on damn near all podcasts I listen to. I guess my range of podcast subjects is pretty slim though, it's mostly science stuff.

I just got lucky that my now fiancée works for a luxury hotel brand. Those mattresses at employee pricing are like $400-$500 depending on size. Versus over $4,000 retail.

I have a tuft&needle mattress and it’s good
Not mindblowing and it’s foam so if you’re just like sitting on it and not laying down on it it sinks lower than a spring mattress
But I’m fine with it. Leagues better than the garbage I was sleeping on before
Not to mention it’s cheaper than most of the other foam internet mattresses

Top Bottom