• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBoaT Rumourathon 3000: Titanfall 720p, party system nonsense, still alpha textures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabanton

Various Respawn people post on Gaf lets see if anyone counters CBoaT claims.

Its a high risk strategy to say the least lets hope if his wrong the usual punishments are handed out..

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I agree. Plus somebody's credibility will take a major hit (RS or CBOAT).

Well, RS can just say last minute optimization decision and cboat can say they decided to keep 792p at the last second to avoid bad publicity. Easy to wiggle out of for both parties.

Eoin

Maybe you didn't notice, but it had MAJOR framerate issues once titans began to populate the map. Framerate suffered heavily. I saw major dips down to damn near high teens "slideshow" status.
!

That would mean the framrate issues aren't being caused by texture size, but are related to some aspect of the titans. Probably the heavy alpha based effects.

Believe it when I see it

Started distrust of this account straight after the day the MS leak with news of actual games got out and there was a bit of positivity, within minutes there it was with a new thread with negative rumours. The timing stunk and was suspicious to say the least.

If it's all true then Microsoft deserve the shit they get but I can't help but feel something's going on

Yes, and today new bundle, people getting excited about the console and another negative cboa post

I don't know this guy agenda, but the timing is indeed very suspicious.

lolol

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus christ, it was a legitimate question. I think there's a clear destinction between the two "dont care":s. But oohhh sorry I said something potentially negative about your favorite game/console.

What age are you, 12? Don't be like that, it's embarrassing.
It feels that way to me. That cboat is almost trying to blow his credibility on purpose
Maybe s/he misses the limelight?

Resolution I can understand if Respawn went that route to preserve framerate, but frankly I think he's full of shit regarding textures. The beta's already come and gone.

Yup.

And FWIW, I was just told that 792p is the minimum it will be.

I think cboat is just wrong about this one. We shall see soon enough, I guess.

Well, he was already dead wrong about the 'ass storm' at launch. Not even a wet fart. I stopped taking him seriously then.

Hmm perhaps resolutiongate hasn't exactly been a picnic for MS though

Various Respawn people post on Gaf lets see if anyone counters CBoaT claims.

Its a high risk strategy to say the least lets hope if his wrong the usual punishments are handed out..

That's just it. They already have. One official Respawn poster took a ban bet that the textures weren't going to be alpha

Xone9

Banned
beta textures were fine..

when you play a game, and 5 seconds later you forget about graphics and realize how good and cool the game is, then respawn did the right thing, whatever they did..

its all about fun factor, and that is a 10 with titanfall

they need to fix the leveling though...

I get that, though CBoaT's history of accuracy is pretty spot on, I don't really know why he'd have a reason to stake his reputation on the textures like that unless he was certain. If he's wrong, he's wrong, but "Framerate is King" and if framerate was suffering as badly as it seemed to during the beta, some drastic measures being taken doesn't seem that unreasonable.
In my experience the beta was 99.87% buttery smooth with an awkward dip in a 6v6 titan fight. It played very well in my experience.

EvB

Yes, and today new bundle, people getting excited about the console and another negative cboa post

I don't know this guy agenda, but the timing is indeed very suspicious.

Most people hate their employers don't they?

I just saw a lionhead designer inn another forum describe the xbox one as meh

bob page

beta textures were fine..

when you play a game, and 5 seconds later you forget about graphics and realize how good and cool the game is, then respawn did the right thing, whatever they did..

its all about fun factor, and that is a 10 with titanfall

they need to fix the leveling though...

Or I can just get it on PC and not have to worry about any of this bullshit.

The drama surrounding this title is really starting to wear on me to the point where I'm not even that excited anymore.

The comment about the alpha textures makes no sense whatsoever as they were genuinely dreadful and just a placeholder to test the networking of the game. There's zero chance those would ever be final in any version of the game.
Did you ever play the PC version of the beta on minimum?

One thing I find most interesting is with just over four weeks to go we've still not even seen a single screenshot of the 360 version.
I'm inclined to blame Microsoft for that, trying to make Titanfall a killer app for the Xbone, despite it being available on the 360 and the PC. I would also be entirely unsurprised if the same reason is why the 360 version has been delayed by a fortnight.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Resolution I can understand if Respawn went that route to preserve framerate, but frankly I think he's full of shit regarding textures. The beta's already come and gone.

But the beta had framerate issues? Assuming changes need to be made, isn't it possible they might need to adjust resolution and lower the overall size of textures? I doubt they'd switch everything to the alpha textures, but they might need to downgrade some of them?

Sanic

We're two weeks from launch and we've already seen an improvement from alpha to beta, in a situation where they likely have plenty of vram to spare.

Care to explain why or how you think texture resolution will drop for the final retail release?

Nerokis

It feels that way to me. That cboat is almost trying to blow his credibility on purpose

So Microsoft is forcing him to make false claims so that cboat will be discredited, and every rumor he's ever spread will be retroactively proven wrong?

I somehow doubt that. :p

That would mean the framrate issues aren't being caused by texture size, but are related to some aspect of the titans. Probably the heavy alpha based effects.

that was my assumption, yes. but I'd expect them to do whatever they need to do to get 60 locked, or damn close to it.

Volcane

Find it strange when people say the graphics don't matter, when the 'have you seen Titanfall' quote seemed to be bigging up the graphics, and trying to stick the knife in with the PS4.

It seems rather poor if it has to use a proprietry party system, and tells me MS, were caught with their pants down. They seem to be putting too much hope in Titanfall, as there doesn't appear to be much to look forward to, for a while after. Plus it seems to be just better on PC.

McLovin

If this is all true how long do you guys think it will take Polygon or IGN to make an article about how 720p is fine and textures look the same sitting from a couch. And that if you care about that stuff you're a nerd... ?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
"framerate is king"

The only reason the textures could be worse in the final game is if they purposefully made them better in the Beta and expected people to say "well, it's Beta" when it came to the framerate.
Having been part of running betas and pre-release demos for games, let me say this - ain't nobody got time for that this close to release. The game is due out in 2 weeks, code submission would have been made at least a week to 10 days ago. It doesn't add up at all, based on my experience.

That's why I'm calling bullshit on his texture post. I just don't see it (pun intended).

EvB

Does cboat ever have positive "rumours" about anything XBone?

Generally not, him and Famousmortiner put them in a bag and throw then in the river.

He did say MS have Platinum games working on a ge though, I say it's Devil May Cry.

ironcreed

Banned
Hmm perhaps resolutiongate hasn't exactly been a picnic for MS though

No, but the system still had a great launch with nothing more than new system wrinkles to be ironed out. There was no major 'ass storm' with snap being broken, etc. Sorry, I just don't trust this bullshit.

Yup.

And FWIW, I was just told that 792p is the minimum it will be.

I think cboat is just wrong about this one. We shall see soon enough, I guess.

Ever since cboat posted that Titanfall map count thread I've been worried about him

I'm not entirely convinced they're not on to cboat truth be told

So Microsoft is forcing him to make false claims so that cboat will be discredited, and every rumor he's ever spread will be retroactively proven wrong?

I somehow doubt that. :p

Discrediting Cboat and making Gaf the fool would take away any little bit of power we might actually have. If there was a big blowout about our greatest leaker being full of shit it would negatively impact people's opinion on gaf as a source for things. It's probably not that though

No, but the system still had a great launch with nothing more than new system wrinkles to be ironed out. There was no major 'ass storm' with snap being broken, etc. Sorry, I just don't trust this bullshit.

Thuway also believed snap to be broken and he has been right on many other things so it was clearly a rumor going around.

I do agree this smells more like BS every minute

big_z

I refuse to believe that 3.5 months between locking down the beta build and the final release would result in 75% worse textures and lower resolution. The final few months of development are where optimization is supposed to happen.

My thoughts exactly. I can see a resolution drop if they are pressed for time but not lower quality textures.

People on anandtech were saying respawning is using poor texture compression which is why they take up so much space and still look bad. I can see improvements to the compression but not at the expense of the quality.

ihMdeHM1RDMcv.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
Generally not, him and Famousmortiner put them in a bag and throw then in the river.

He did say MS have Platinum games working on a ge though, I say it's Devil May Cry.

Devil May Cry is owned by Microsoft now? When did that happen?

EvB

But the beta had framerate issues? Assuming changes need to be made, isn't it possible they might need to adjust resolution and lower the overall size of textures? I doubt they'd switch everything to the alpha textures, but they might need to downgrade some of them?

The same issues that every "60fps" game with the exception of Forza has had this generation so far.

Which is that:
60fps=more than 30fps

The beta had framerate rate issues. Unheard of :p

Kru

OR, OR... ORDER 1886 style, 792 with black bars. making it technically 720p.

Seanspeed

Banned
Your post doesn't make any sense.
For you, maybe.

We'll see if it releases with alpha textures. ;)

Frankly, I'm a bit tired of this obvious MS employee who is always super eager to try and rile people up with bad news about the Xbox any chance he gets. He may have good info once in a while, but the manner in which it all happens leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The guy seems to want the system to fail. Lots of people here do as well so people eat it up and love him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom