• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBOAT's latest update

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceKee

Man I wish GameSop would open up preorders again for the PS4 so I can move my Xbox one preorder over. Xbox one buzz is so depressing. I'm going to end up with both consoles hopefully by years end, but I should have preordered my PS4 first since the games at launch I want are multiplats and I know they'll run better...

Daeva

Banned
The thing is that everyone is right. The specs don't matter. The most powerful console has never won. Most of the world can't tell the difference between 720p/1080p (or 900p, forget about it). 30fps or 60fps?

And then you get into sales. Do they really matter? Is Justin Beiber a better songwriter than Simon and Garfunkle because he sold more records? Is the 3DS with it's low res screen and lower poly count inferior to the vita?

It's all semantics. If you like the games and system you like the games and system and that's all there really is to the entire thing. I think the vita is awesome. Like really awesome. I love the shit out of that thing. Is it selling well? Not at fucking all. Does MK on it look 1/4th as good as MK on the PS3? Nope. Does that make me like the vita less? Fuck no.

Like what you like. Who cares about all of this other shit. There's discussions to be had on places like this where we get into the details on what makes these machines tick or what is causing something to sell more than the other. That's fine. But to base your enjoyment of a device off of these conversations is absurd.

I agree mostly. For some of us gfx whores it does matter but for many people this is all down to marketing and games that hook an audience. That being said the Xbox One is simply not what I wanted out of the 360 sequel.

Just because the parent company has massive reserves does not mean that the Xbox division can draw on it to spend. Since the Xbox hasn't proven to be a major net revenue generator, they might actually be looking to spend as little as possible. There are investors waiting in the wings that do not care for the Xbox division and want it gone.

So they spent 1 billion USD in games, 400 million in the NFL dead, and 100 million making the controller.

Microsoft isn't letting their living room machine die, especially not when they're now using it to push Windows Phone, and their own Music and Video platform.

Besides, I'm willing to bet that even if the PS4 outsells the Xbox One, the Xbox One will STILL be the more profitable device. Microsoft will be receiving money from not only console and game sales (the console which, as far as we know, ISN'T selling at a loss), they're also getting $60 a year from Xbox Live Gold, (money, which unlike Sony, they aren't using to give users free games), they're getting paid by marketing teams to advertise on the dashboard, and they're probably going to make bank selling user info to advertisers from users who are okay allowing Microsoft to receive and use info from Kinect.

I wish sega was still in the hardware business (or nintendo made a next gen console hardware wise), then I would be able to look forward to this scenario, instead of have to fear for a sony monopoly.

If Sony don't make a good product no one buys it. This isn't oil distribution. There's no monopoly in consumer products, just short term popularity bursts.

For all those who say this is nothing new

I think it actually is I think the XB1's ESram solution might actually not be conducive to 1080P resolution gaming

That the buffer might be too great for the 32mb of ESram

wow if it actually becomes true that the upclock noticeably affected reliability of the hardware MS are complete idiots and also assholes for selling people that they just did it because they found out it could clock higher safely. That 50mhz upclock isn't going to do anything noticeable anyway, amazing if they did it while risking stability. Interesting how this will turn out a few months after launch when consoles typically start failing, wonder if the failure rate will be high.

XTvCsmLl.png

Seriously considering canceling this now.. Seeming like a worse and worse value proposition every day.
as soon as you start playing games for either youll forget all this ever happened and just be happy gaming with each consoles exclusive titles, and unique features

Man I wish GameSop would open up preorders again for the PS4 so I can move my Xbox one preorder over. Xbox one buzz is so depressing. I'm going to end up with both consoles hopefully by years end, but I should have preordered my PS4 first since the games at launch I want are multiplats and I know they'll run better...
lol I feel you but Im going to wait till I have it myself. All this prelaunch sillyness will be over in a month. Whatever happens after has yet to be seen.

Well, Ryse is confirmed 900p from Crytek. I played Dead Rising 3 at the Xbox One Tour, and I'm pretty sure it was 720. But there was a - staggering- amount of zombies.

Ryse was confirmed to be 900p from Microsoft if I remember. Arron Greenburg stated it was 1080p, then corrected himself WITH NO outside push confirming that he was updated to know Ryse was 900p. I think, to be fair I don't remember. Not sure if we found out from Arron Greenburg or Crytek first. Think Arron. Either way, Microsoft isn't hiding that Ryse isn't 1080p.

I'm pretty sure Dead Rising 3 was confirmed 720p, 30 frames from the get go.

oh snap!

Now I have no doubt that MS is money hatting some devs/pubs to make PS4 to be on par with XB1 instead of using the extra power of PS4

rrs

Then was is Forza Motorsport 5 having no problems running a fabulous looking game at 1080p, 60 frames on the Xbox One? Is CBOAT sure Ryse and Dead Rising 3 aren't 1080p because maybe, like he stated once, the Xbox One is 6 months behind production?

I played a demo of Forza 5, looks nice and runs well but it didn't seem as crisp as something running 1080p w/o AA on my computer, it had some weird blur around edges if you really looked for it in game.

Spongebob

Banned
Ryse was confirmed to be 900p from Microsoft if I remember. Arron Greenburg stated it was 1080p, then corrected himself WITH NO outside push confirming that he was updated to know Ryse was 900p. I think, to be fair I don't remember. Not sure if we found out from Arron Greenburg or Crytek first. Think Arron. Either way, Microsoft isn't hiding that Ryse isn't 1080p.

I'm pretty sure Dead Rising 3 was confirmed 720p, 30 frames from the get go.
Only 30fps was confirmed.

I agree mostly. For some of us gfx whores it does matter but for many people this is all down to marketing and games that hook an audience. That being said the Xbox One is simply not what I wanted out of the 360 sequel.

Me either. IMO there have been two distinct periods with the xbox line so far. OG Xbox - 360 pre-kinect and 360 post kinect. The former was awesome, the latter was awful. The xbox one looks like more of the latter.

It's not even just about the kinect being useless, which I think it is, but it was just a shift in the company at that point in time. They became about services, ads and other nonsense and not about games. I feel like the xbox one was created to deliver services and ads really well and is just a mediocre gaming machine.

Gator86

I can't imagine how the Xbox brand survives another RROD. You can't have a products more expensive than the competition, less powerful, and inevitably melts. The market can't be that gullible.

Ploid 3.0

doooo eeeeeet!

I'd say keep it, he obviously ordered it because he liked something about it. Worst case he could sell it for a profit. There will be no shortage of demand for them this year.

I can't imagine how the Xbox brand survives another RROD. You can't have a products more expensive than the competition, less powerful, and inevitably melts. The market can't be that gullible.

I'm sure MS will have a fail safe feature on their chips, making the console turn off if it gets too hot before it damages itself. They can't afford another RROD, I don't expect they will be breaking, maybe it will be glitchy or something at most due to rushing, something later versions of Xbox One will fix.

So they spent 1 billion USD in games, 400 million in the NFL dead, and 100 million making the controller.

1 billion USD in games over how long? It's not particularly impressive if that is spread across multiple years, including marketing cost. These kind of big figures are PR-lines without sharing the specifics. ( Eg. Halo 4 alone cost 100 million, with marketing. )

The 400 million NFL deal is a parent-company deal, not an Xbox division deal. It's not really all that different from many other multinationals with deals like FIFA, EURO, etc. Parent company makes deal, every division of the company benefits from said deal in one shape or form.

As for the controller, touting figures like that is meaningless. Employee salary, fab/prototyping cost, etc. I'm sure if every company tries to stretch the 'cost' of the things they do, it can be anything from $100k all the way to $100m depending on how they massage the accounting perspective.

reKon

Banned
I'd say keep it, he obviously ordered it because he liked something about it. Worst case he could sell it for a profit. There will be no shortage of demand for them this year.

This is true. I'd feel more comfortable reselling a PS4 at this point (which is what I plan to do. Or maybe there's nothing to worry about. The earlier you resell the better!

My pet theory is the MS gave the approval for the Xbox 720 program late, and only with some serious strings attached.

What we know:

This isn't a game console, it's the culmination of Ballmer's vision for Microsoft:
  1. It expands the Windows 8/Windows Phone/Surface ecosystem (probably meant to save the latter two).
  2. It is an advertising goldmine and execs can't conceal their glee. Microsoft has been watching Google and Apple's advances here with palpable envy. 80M users (or 49M gold) would be a nice advantage.
  3. It is a new means of interacting with computers, using Kinect everywhere. So of course it is mandatory here. Dat business/consumer synergy. MS seriously believes your next computer might have Kinect as an alternate control scheme.
None of these things require much hardware power, all of them (I am speculating) were forced on the Xbox One before serious design could even begin. It was always hamstrung, and it is the product of some serious horse trading behind the scenes.

tumblr_m1mkwdUaGU1r9g4gho1_400.jpg
tumblr_inline_mkjljmDWns1rf2nk8.gif

tsk tsk tsk.

I played a demo of Forza 5, looks nice and runs well but it didn't seem as crisp as something running 1080p w/o AA on my computer, it had some weird blur around edges if you really looked for it in game.

and my massive hype and desire for the Xbox One just died. :( Damn Forza 5 was the only reason I'm going Xbox One over PS4 as my core system. Hope the finished product looks nicer than what you described.

ypo

Sorta becoming hard not to believe XBO was intended for a 2014 release as this stuff piles on. But, man, it still seems so wild that MS would think they could have waited that long in the first place. 9 years! NINE!

MS probably had the same impression as those not too bright people here that when Sony said PS3 is a 10-year plan, it literally meant PS4 won't be released in 10 years.

jusufin

Me either. IMO there have been two distinct periods with the xbox line so far. OG Xbox - 360 pre-kinect and 360 post kinect. The former was awesome, the latter was awful. The xbox one looks like more of the latter.

It's not even just about the kinect being useless, which I think it is, but it was just a shift in the company at that point in time. They became about services, ads and other nonsense and not about games. I feel like the xbox one was created to deliver services and ads really well and is just a mediocre gaming machine.

I always thought that kinect had potential, but in light of all the information about what it might be used for, I don't want it plain and simple. I'll buy the x1 when they lower the price and drop the kinect, but until then, I want nothing to do with it.

Seriously considering canceling this now.. Seeming like a worse and worse value proposition every day.

Oh and regarding the "more powerful console" talk, has the more powerful console ever been much cheaper than the weaker console before, because that's a huge factor here.

Gamecube, PS2

Dragon Carr

Neo Member
How? How did MS get scooped my Sony so easily when they had a longer time to work on Xbox One than Sony with PS4 (numerous PS3/PSP iterations and the freaking Vita between 2005-2013)?

It truly baffles me that a company would screw up this much.

Never underestimate the power of the incredibly, woefully, toxic management culture at Microsoft. I have worked near MS for a long time and we often need to deprogram people who have worked at MS, encouraging them that in this job, they will be rewarded for actually getting results. At MS, you never ever NEVER give a date that your project will be done, because then you will be demolished on reviews for not getting it done, no matter what the circumstances.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-11/microsoft-unveils-its-latest-reorg-spectacular

"On Thursday, Ballmer unfurled his latest attempt to shape Microsoft into a company that can act as a collective whole rather than warring fiefdoms."

You see, your peers aren't your co-workers, they're your competition for your next raise/promotion. Only one person can end up on top of the stack rank. As for consequences of not doing a good job, there's no need to worry, the next re-org is never more than 18 months away.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Like what you like. Who cares about all of this other shit. There's discussions to be had on places like this where we get into the details on what makes these machines tick or what is causing something to sell more than the other. That's fine. But to base your enjoyment of a device off of these conversations is absurd.

That's fine for people who genuinely don't care about those things. For the people who shit on one platform for its graphics and then throw a tantrum when a more powerful one is brought up? Not so much.

rrs

and my massive hype and desire for the Xbox One just died. :( Damn Forza 5 was the only reason I'm going Xbox One over PS4 as my core system. Hope the finished product looks nicer than what you described.

It still looks nice, but said display issues could come from the demo TVs. It plays like a sim, no doubt about that. Anyways, super pretty awesome graphics isn't a top priority trying to hit 1080p60 or 60 FPS at least.

Indeed. It was after that shift that I made the jump the PS. Their OS isn't as good and the have less apps and service but they have the games. So many good exclusives. The past couple gens I've had both xbox and playstation consoles but looks like next gen I'm going with PS4 and the Wii U. They really need to get their priorities together and make some kind of plan. This whole time it seems like they've just been making up stuff as they go

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Honestly the only two reasons I see to get an xbox 1 is if you have some kind of brand loyalty. Or you are one of those guys that have to have every console and you're buying both.

I always thought that kinect had potential, but in light of all the information about what it might be used for, I don't want it plain and simple. I'll buy the x1 when they lower the price and drop the kinect, but until then, I want nothing to do with it.

There was a time when I thought it had potential. But in three years it hasn't shown it. There isn't shit at launch of the new one. It's time to give up on that hope.

Sorta becoming hard not to believe XBO was intended for a 2014 release as this stuff piles on. But, man, it still seems so wild that MS would think they could have waited that long in the first place. 9 years! NINE!

It could have been something they read that gave them a false impression that they'd have way more time.

Never forget--January 22, 2013:

You may have noticed that there are lots of rumours flying about regarding next-gen consoles. No one knows definitely when Microsoft and Sony will unveil their successors to the current Xbox and PlayStation, but Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai has said that it will let Microsoft make the first move.

In the Business section of The Times today, Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/01/21/ps4-sony-will-let-microsoft-make-first-move

It's quite possible that Microsoft believed they'd always be first, and always have the first-mover advantage, so they took thier time.

Also, it's quite clear that too many executive "cooks" got into the proverbial kitchen during the planning stages, (this often happens when you have too much time on your hands and too many ancillary "voices" being piped into the conversation, as anyone who has worked on a large project with a lot of people will tell you,) and the whole thing became a convoluted mess of nebulous market end-goals, too few of which had to do with core gaming and too many of which had to do with TV, Advertising, Kinect, and DRM. So Microsoft was likely unfocused on the core of the box, and busy coming up with all this other shit, all this DRM tech, all this Kinect shit, all these media deals and advertising pitches...

...meanwhile, Sony had their heads down and were working on a pretty focused core set of principles--the ones we've been hearing over and over from Cerny concerning the hardware.

He posts positive stuff sometimes of course, but I think people get annoyed with his teasing attitude toward negative info. I get the feeling he doesn't like his company very much (assuming he works for MS).

Really! Oh come on, this is ridiculous unsubstantiated allegation. CBOAT post of what he hears or sees.

How would he know about this? He must be speculating. Considering the specific tings he got wrong at Gamescon and E3, he can't be particually high up in the company. So how would he know potential resolution for games? Forza is 1080p/60fps, the only current AAA game on either company currently hitting that.

Unfortunaly nothing stops this train, going to be a bumpy ride for MS.

PSGames

Translation not needed, it was clear enough.

The Xbone is halfbaked and underpowered.

Ugh. It pisses me off how management let this console go to shit the way they have.

There were loud vocalists way back when the specs were first leaked that people wouldn't be happy with such a huge power gap and they still went along with it. Just mind boggling.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

But what was that 'potential'? Tweets said it, forums said it, articles said it and execs said it, but not a single one ever quantified what that potential was. It was just a trigger word like 'balance' or 'cloud'. It was designed to make you believe something was true even though there was no proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom