• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBOAT's latest update

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldone

where were these CBOAT comments posted? which topic?

about his prediction, I have to say that forza is not only 1080p, but also runs at 60hz.

so, from 1080/60 right to 900/30, there seems to be also some space in between for games to target at..

never the less, that does not change my opinion that BOTH coming consoles are missing their target, but xbone is doing so in a humiliating way.

Number of polygons also matter. Draw distance, complexity of AI, texture compression all help. You could run very simple games like angry birds at 1080p@60 even on ipad or ps3.. if all you have is few thousand polygons on the screen.

Valhelm

contribute something
Check your PMs, please.

Shit-just-got-real-Martin-Lawrence.gif

Translation not needed, it was clear enough.

The Xbone is halfbaked and underpowered.

Welcome to the underpowered consoles age, just one console is worse than the other, but both will be outdated relatively soon, much sooner than the last gen. 8 years from today to PS5? I say Ha Ha. Maybe PS4 6 months later than X1, but definitively around the same date.

That's because in 2005 top 65nm-80nm PC GPUs didn't eat > 150W, now a 28nm 7970Ghz eats around 250W peak. However Sony and MS can't put today more than ~250W for the whole system (APU, RAM, HDD, Bluray, etc) in a little constrained box.

You have a fair point, but to us that are really passionate, a lower resolution IS a big deal. And not because of some stupid "console wars", but a higher resolution produces a sharper image, and that's important to many of us.

True. The fact that we're all on this forum moaning about sub FHD on next gen is a testament. But unfortunately we're not the majority of gamers. And they're still gonna buy COD at 720p. Hell they'll probably buy it at 480p widescreen. And a lot of us bitching about it will buy it too. We'll just bitch more.

XTvCsmLl.png

Seriously considering canceling this now.. Seeming like a worse and worse value proposition every day.

Oh and regarding the "more powerful console" talk, has the more powerful console ever been much cheaper than the weaker console before, because that's a huge factor here.

Cancel it. Even if you want to play Xbone exclusives, just wait for the 2014 desperation price drop.

As for another example like this, the PS1 was more powerful and cheaper than the Saturn.

Making an 720p or 900p game isn't any different then making 1080p.
I would bet that an artist can make better stuff on a 2k*2k pixel texture then on a 512*512 pixel texture.

Pretty much what i thought 900p on X1 Microsoft dun goof so don't blame the devs blame microsoft for soft balling the specs,

I thought it required more man power to pull it off. MS screwed up the specs and everyone knows it. I was just thinking about mid size developing teams with limited man power and budgets, but apparently it does not.

Lumyst

All Xbox consoles in my life have had catastrophic hardware failure of some kind (but an el cheapo $12 repair kit, a hair dryer, and bloody fingers saved my 360 last year thankfully). I had tons of fun learning how to tinker with electronics though. But those consoles were gifts (meaning, it wasn't my money on the line). This time though, it's my money on the line. I'll wait it out and let history be my guide: "wait for the slim model."

Welcome to the underpowered consoles age, just one console is worse than the other, but both will be outdated relatively soon, much sooner than the last gen. 8 years from today to PS5? I say Ha Ha. Maybe PS4 6 months later than X1, but definitively around the same date.
I think both consoles have been designed so that they can be replaced in the typical 5+ years, rather than 7 or 8 like this go 'round. This gen lasted longer because both machines were (massively) unprofitable for several years to start.

"I hope you aren't fans of 1080P on Xbox One.When hardware is released you'll see what I mean about issues. Upclocks too risk everywhere, 2014 was a better idea."

Sounds like there'll be problems a-la Xbox 360 with reliability and it was rushed out to be in 2013 rather than 2014 when planned.

Yeah what I'm getting too is that after the upclock they haven't really tested the console. They should have tested and released in 2014.

I swear it's getting to the point where a powerful console with no games could be released and this form would sing its praises based on a spec sheet. It's oneupsmanship to the ridiculous extreme.

Except that more powerful console has a much wider selection of games (objectively) and is $100 cheaper.

Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can see where MS is trying to get to though. If you have an Xbox one and you're watching live TV through it, all the additional services (and store) are much closer to you, the barriers are lower. So I could see a situation where - if you were a multi console owner - you might buy the Xbox one version simply for convenience. You're watching TV and just go 'Xbox, play blerggh' and it'll launch immediately. It does rely on the differences not being noticable, or you not really caring (kind of like the convenience of mp3s vs the quality of CD)

Also requires them to build up a head of steam, which they may not get a chance to.

I wonder what would have been different with a 2014 launch? Presumably he hardware would have been the same, so would it just have been more mature software? TV AV services in more markets?

In all seriousness, even if the XBO could only do 720p, I don't see it affecting sales. The mainstream doesn't care - not everyone has a +46" TV to play on. I feel much of this debate is the equivalent of boys measuring themselves

They're gonna notice when they go to their friends house and notice how much sharper looking is (Insert multiplat game here) than in their xbox.

FINALBOSS

Banned
No, seriously, it's Atari's "Do the math!" but without the disingenuous. Let's say the Atari Jaguar was the Nintendo 64. This place would have sung its name from rooftops.

You honestly think this forum is up-in-arms over the Xbone exclusively because of the power-gulf between it and the PS4? If so, you obviously haven't been paying attention.

p3tran

Banned
Number of polygons also matter. Draw distance, complexity of AI, texture compression all help. You could run very simple games like angry birds at 1080p@60 even on ipad or ps3.. if all you have is few thousand polygons on the screen.

yes you could. but forza 2/3/4 run at 720/60 on previous machine, and f5 runs 1080/60 on this machine, and graphics are not simplified like one could understand from your comment, but are upgraded. physics and sounds too.

now if you want to call forza motorsport an angry bird level game on resources, then I'm guessing one of us is wrong here.

I thought it required more man power to pull it off. MS screwed up the specs and everyone knows it. I was just thinking about mid size developing teams with limited man power and budgets, but apparently it does not.

Think about it man indie foothold is the pc space where you have variable resolution saying developing an game at 720p and 1080p making a big man power change is just wrong.

If you said with next gen games people expect better then you would be right.
People expect 1080p, sharp textures, multiple AA methods, stable fps etc.

jusufin

But what was that 'potential'? Tweets said it, forums said it, articles said it and execs said it, but not a single one ever quantified what that potential was. It was just a trigger word like 'balance' or 'cloud'. It was designed to make you believe something was true even though there was no proof.

I liked the idea of what could be possible with kinect as a controller. Obviously it never lived up to those expectations but I held on to the hope that the X1 would refine what was wrong with the original. I feel like kinect was innovated upon for the wrong reasons though and I simply don't want it. I've convinced/coerced my friends to switch to the PS4 and am fully on the PS4 bandwagon at this point. I'm not saying the console won't sell or its gonna bomb, just that I personally don't think it fits me anymore and I selfishly got my friends to convert so we could continue to play together. right now I just don't have any confidence in the company to invest in the x1 (maybe later on). Goodnight peeps

Except that more powerful console has a much wider selection of games (objectively) and is $100 cheaper.

Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Oh please. I can count the exclusives for both systems on both hands (per console). This generation will be the pinacle of the homogenous. It's why you can understand the spec fetish, but it doesn't mean the fevor is justified entirely. I'm sure half the people involved don't really understand. I don't and I have a 1st Class Honours in Comp Sci.

Lyuben

Banned
Preaching to the choir.

No one outside neogaf pays attention to CBOAT and the people in neogaf mostly hate xbone so, not like hes gonna get questioned.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I liked the idea of what could be possible with kinect as a controller. Obviously it never lived up to those expectations but I held on to the hope that the X1 would refine what was wrong with the original. I feel like kinect was innovated upon for the wrong reasons though and I simply don't want it. I've convinced/coerced my friends to switch to the PS4 and am fully on the PS4 bandwagon at this point. I'm not saying the console won't sell or its gonna bomb, just that I personally don't think it fits me anymore and I selfishly got my friends to convert so we could continue to play together. right now I just don't have any confidence in the company to invest in the x1 (maybe later on). Goodnight peeps

Please understand I'm not attacking you. :)

I just find this interesting. You say 'I liked the idea of what could be possible with Kinect as a controller'. So ... what would that be? I'm asking you to quantify that 'potential' (that which is possible but has not yet been achieved). It's so easy just to throw the word 'potential' out there but where did it really come from? Was it you yourself or was it planted there by the media?

Oh please. I can count the exclusives for both systems on both hands (per console). This generation will be the pinacle of the homogenous. It's why you can understand the spec fetish, but it doesn't mean the fevor is justified entirely. I'm sure half the people involved don't really understand. I don't and I have a 1st Class Honours in Comp Sci.

The indie support has many more games coming for PS4, not necessarily console exclusive but not on XB1. Regardless: It is $100 cheaper. Being excited that it is objectively more powerful is suddenly a GAF circle-jerk?

How many console launches in history have a truly stellar launch catalog?

2 maybe 3?

This is how it has always been

How many launch exclusives is the magic number for you then?

10, 15 ,20?

You don't rush all your exclusives to launch day or even launch window

I'm more than happy with what's launching this november, I'm sorry you're not

Preaching to the choir.

No one outside neogaf pays attention to CBOAT and the people in neogaf mostly hate xbone so, not like hes gonna get questioned.

Really sonygaf?

Cboat's track record speaks volume to his credibility. He easily has the best track record for leaks (xbox mainly) on the internet

How that's not obvious to anyone that actually looks into it is shocking

Preaching to the choir.

CBOAT has almost an golden track record with microsoft leaks.
Good enough to trust it if not he would have been banned a long time.

FINALBOSS

Banned

If you call your University quick enough you might be owed a refund on your education.

Preaching to the choir.

Oh brother. He's been around since pre-Xbox360 and has been vetted many many times. So...take your tears elsewhere or he'll use them for his bidet.

That's because in 2005 top 65nm-80nm PC GPUs didn't eat > 150W, now a 28nm 7970Ghz eats around 250W peak. However Sony and MS can't put today more than ~250W for the whole system (APU, RAM, HDD, Bluray, etc) in a little constrained box.

How much more powerful are PC's already?

Of yeah they wrote the floor with the current consoles, they have for years.

So where are the games? The powerful next gen amazing games?

Oh wait developers aim for the mass market, consoles. PCs have been lucky to get a port, let alone a good one. Exclusive games? Unless it's an RTS it's unlikely.

It doesn't matter how underpowered the consoles are, just that they are significantly more powerful than the last generation.

This must be one of the lamest ads of any games console ever. What does it even mean? First 'All in one, input one', and now this. What are these prats doing?

Their PR and Marketing teams have been having some... problems as of late. I only wish that seemingly nonsensical ads that connect with literally no one in their target demographic were the worst of it.

B.O.O.M

Unless you are some tentacle monster from a hentai no..you really can't

There is no 'spec fetish' (yay another odd term) People like to talk about the specs of hardware they are about to spend a lot of money on. Specs mattered this gen when it came to multiplat game performance. People like to discuss these things on a gaming forum...who would have thought right?

Your rants in this thread is hilarious and odd at the same time. What are you trying to accomplish here? That somehow to prove console specs don't matter? But it does. So does price. So does game line ups. so does features. Gaf is a place to discuss all those things. Don't like it? Avoid those threads.

I don't care even if you a double PHD, this is not something that should be too hard for you to understand

Lyuben

Banned
Oh brother. He's been around since pre-Xbox360 and has been vetted many many times. So...take your tears elsewhere or he'll use them for his bidet.

Well, I dont trust him because he didn't reveal the release date for the xbone.

Apparently hes deep enough to take a shot at the PS4 one and fail, but couldn't say when the xbone was out.

Its probably just educated guesses.

I predict that sunset overdrive will be 30fps.

Oh wait, people won't take me seriously here.

I preiudicto thaaa susnenet oqerdruive wil b 30 FP S

Apparently hes deep enough to take a shot at the PS4 one and fail, but couldn't say when the xbone was out.

Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh.

FINALBOSS

Banned

So Cboat gets a thumbs-down because he didn't know the Xbone release date? He was literally spot on with so many things with the 360 and a vast majority of things relating to the Xbone. He's gotten some things wrong, sure, but from all the disjointed and reactionary moves from Microsoft since E3, can you blame him?

Go up and look at Wario64's post of him leaking shit about the 360's Xenon processor and reveal of some SKUs without a HD.

CBOAT!!

Take this gift of sodium water into your bidet, that it may overflow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom