• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBOAT's latest update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon Ice

Banned
How are we to interpret this? Up-clocks risking hardware failure?

I can understand that risk but risk everywhere?

risk-game-of-global-domination.jpg

He's just saying it's their new favorite board game at the office.

Too many questions that need answers

CBOAT doesn't leak everything, you know.

CBOAT knew that the launch list of countries was cut down from 21-to-13, and you know what? He didn't leak it.

He only let it out when the news got out from a separate website, and that was when he said "yeah, this is true."

calder

How? How did MS get scooped my Sony so easily when they had a longer time to work on Xbox One than Sony with PS4 (numerous PS3/PSP iterations and the freaking Vita between 2005-2013)?

It truly baffles me that a company would screw up this much.

I think it's helpful to remember how badly Sony fucked up the PS3 when thinking about why they seemingly have gotten so much right about the PS4. They started the PS4 design a *long* time ago because they kinda had to, the mistakes and problems of the PS3 hardware development (price, manufacturing complexity, misreading the way tech was evolving leading to crapping a GPU in last minute which led to tremendous problems for devs etc) were so obvious and bad they simply couldn't ignore it.

Then they made some good decisions a couple of years ago that set them down a solid path with some options - like the ability to upgrade to 8 gigs of RAM if GDDR5 fabrication came together late in the process. Just as importantly, they had the mindset that would let them make a change that big if it made sense, I bet it would have been so much easier to just lock it down at 4gb in 2012 and keep on that path.

They originally wanted to release it in 2014? That's 9 years after the XBox 360 came out. 8 years is already too long imo. Seems odd they were blindsided by Sony coming out with the PS4 7 years after the PS3 came out. Especially when the PS2 came out 6 years after the original Playstation and the PS3 came out 6 years after the PS2.

nib95

Banned
Such as?

I'm genuinely curious.

Games announcements, different region and multi account policies etc.

The thing is he vehemently denied these upclock rumors which is proof that he wasn't privy to the information and his tone in this post is so sour. He definitely dislikes who he works for.

Where? Can you link me to this? I know he mentioned yield issues, but I don't remember hearing him saying anything about the upclock until today.

artist

Banned
I can't get into detail without giving up what I do, which I can't do. So I'll just concede. I honestly should have never brought that up if I could not reliably defend it. For that I apologize
Just remember .. Bish is the one who knocks.

Gonff

Banned
Ahhhh yes. I think it wasn't outright said Platinum, right? Just big Japanese dev? And that it wasn't DR3?

Also I vote Gonff admits who he is and then immediately does a hurricanrana to someone for no reason :p

I have not been a professional developer long, so if the people contesting me have superior experience, you should take their word over mine.

Rad-

Shame they fucked up so easily. I'm getting a PS4 but I don't like the fact that PS4 is the only decent looking console next gen. It means they can get arrogant in some thing again (evolving the platform, price drops etc.).

Just remember .. Bish is the one who knocks.

Eh, I'm betting Gonff probably used the work email to verify. I doubt it's a big deal.

But ya CBoaT saying anything is surprising. Figured that deal was over until next year.

I have not been a professional developer long, so if the people contesting me have superior experience, you should take their word over mine.

I really just wanted to see someone try a wrestling move on an unsuspecting person :p

co1onel

This isn't a game console, it's the culmination of Ballmer's vision for Microsoft: It expands the Windows 8/Windows Phone/Surface ecosystem (probably meant to save the latter too).

This is my biggest issue. The Xbox brand is already established as a video game system. It doesn't seem like the new direction is helping either the Xbox brand or the rest of the Windows products.

That's probably due more to self-publishing existing earlier on PS4 than ease of development.

I'd say both. Self publishing is huge. Plus the fact that the PS4 is a Unix machine with normal (relatively) x86 architecture parts and of course PCs, should make development much easier than most. If the Vita is based on Unix/Linux (not sure), it should be easy to make as well. Same goes with the Wii U.

Nekofrog

Banned
My pet theory is the MS gave the approval for the Xbox 720 program late, and only with some serious strings attached.

What we know:

This isn't a game console, it's the culmination of Ballmer's vision for Microsoft:
  1. It expands the Windows 8/Windows Phone/Surface ecosystem (probably meant to save the latter two).
  2. It is an advertising goldmine and execs can't conceal their glee. Microsoft has been watching Google and Apple's advances here with palpable envy. 80M users (or 49M gold) would be a nice advantage.
  3. It is a new means of interacting with computers, using Kinect everywhere. So of course it is mandatory here. Dat business/consumer synergy. MS seriously believes your next computer might have Kinect as an alternate control scheme.
None of these things require much hardware power, all of them (I am speculating) were forced on the Xbox One before serious design could even begin. It was always hamstrung, and it is the product of some serious horse trading behind the scenes.

tumblr_m1mkwdUaGU1r9g4gho1_400.jpg

CAAAAAAAAROOOOOOOOOOL

i'm sorry i don't have any actual input but I had to say it.

Joelio13

My pet theory is the MS gave the approval for the Xbox 720 program late, and only with some serious strings attached.

What we know:

This isn't a game console, it's the culmination of Ballmer's vision for Microsoft:
  1. It expands the Windows 8/Windows Phone/Surface ecosystem (probably meant to save the latter two).
  2. It is an advertising goldmine and execs can't conceal their glee. Microsoft has been watching Google and Apple's advances here with palpable envy. 80M users (or 49M gold) would be a nice advantage.
  3. It is a new means of interacting with computers, using Kinect everywhere. So of course it is mandatory here. Dat business/consumer synergy. MS seriously believes your next computer might have Kinect as an alternate control scheme.
None of these things require much hardware power, all of them (I am speculating) were forced on the Xbox One before serious design could even begin. It was always hamstrung, and it is the product of some serious horse trading behind the scenes.

tumblr_m1mkwdUaGU1r9g4gho1_400.jpg
Haha nice picture to end the list. Gotta love Always Sunny

Card Boy

Banned
If you look at some of the smaller publishers and Kickstarters, they will all be making copies for the PC, PS3, PS4, Vita and Wii U, and pretty much NONE are on anything from MS.

I know in the wake of E3 one indie developer was saying they where not going to release stuff on Xbone out of principle. I wish i could find the vid, i can't remember the game. I think the game i'm thinking of was the AVGN one.

nampad

Nice, a cboat update.

The thing is he vehemently denied these upclock rumors which is proof that he wasn't privy to the information and his tone in this post is so sour. He definitely dislikes who he works for.

I don't think he dislikes the place, I rather think he is disappointed how the Xbox One project went and now likes to see how those poor decisions are gonna fail. Schadenfreude is just sweet.

There had to be some resistance against the whole DRM story and TV focus internal.
But we can all just guess who he is and where he works.

Same guy of PS4 late october launch date and XOne indies limited to 3GB ?

Ok...

Yup. Also the same guy who's been calling shit correctly since fucking 2005 and the only times he's been wrong are, for the most part...now. And rarely. Because it's next-gen and shit is crazy.

njean777

Im gonna ask this again...

"We are one month away...What is supposed to be happening according to him xbox one's breaking or something?"

From what he said he seems to be implying that the upclock they announced seems to be a risky move alluding to the RROD of the past. They did this with the 360 and it bit them hard, so he is implying it may happen again.

njean777

This guy got these 3 things wrong, therefore I will discount these 30+ things he got right!

Yes, totally logical!

It is normal for fanboys to think illogically.

Was the 360 upclocked as miniscule as the one?

Tbh you would be better off asking somebody else, I didn't follow video games very much back then. Just from history, changing things a few weeks before manufacturing is not a good idea.

Radec

The XBone really is a clusterfuck of a console.

Worst case scenario, Day One or Launch buyers are fucking beta-testers.

what the fuck.

Can someone post links to the things he's gotten exactly right? I don't care about general ideas that are safe guesses. I mean specific information that isn't very easy to guess.

I know in the wake of E3 one indie developers was saying they where not going to release stuff on Xbone out of principle. I wish i could find the vid, i can't remember the game. I think one of the games i'm thinking of was the AVGN game.

Yeah at least one developer here on GAF approached Microsoft with their game around the time of E3 and was told Microsoft had zero interest in letting them on the Xbox One.

It's pretty obvious the indie approach has been a mess.

Skeff

I can't get into detail without giving up what I do, which I can't do. So I'll just concede. I honestly should have never brought that up if I could not reliably defend it. For that I apologize

Well insider card, see a mod or ban. But let's carry on anyway:

You can easily show us the math to show that a render target "easily fit's into 32mb" I'll show you my side of our disagreement:

it would almost definitely be 32 bit colour depth. We could make the case it wouldn't fit in 32mb depending on the techniques used, for example with 4xFSAA and 1080p we'd be looking at:

Back Buffer:
1920x1080 [Resolution] * 32 [Bits Per Pixel] * 4[FSAA Depth]
= 265420800 bits = 31.6MB

Depth Buffer:
1920x1080 [Resolution] * 32 [24Bit Z, 8Bit Stencil] * 4 [FSAA Depth]
= 265420800 bits = 31.6MB

Front Buffer:
1920x1080 [Resolution] * 32 [24Bit Z, 8Bit Stencil]
= 66355200 bits = 7.91MB

Total Memory Requirements:
31.6 + 31.6 + 7.91 = 71.11MB

It's not quite as simple as you put it.

Without the AA you'd be looking at around 24mb.

Though this method is becoming less and less used in games development:

That's not applicable at all to modern rendering techniques.

Skeff further up is closer but probably not familiar with deferred shading. When you are using deferred shading, you need to store all the input data for your later lighting calculations in your render buffer (usually called a g-buffer). The exact amount of memory you need to do this depends on the engine and what you are going for, but you're unlikely to get by with less than 16 bytes per pixel.

Quite.

Further to my comment on a previous page, I looked up the more exact figure for BF3's gbuffers @ 1080p/4xMSAA: 158MB.

http://www.slideshare.net/fullscreen/DICEStudio/shiny-pc-graphics-in-battlefield-3/20

You could work from that figure for 1080p/NoAA. Though BF4's may differ.

Without AA?

That works out to 80 bytes per pixel for 4xAA. Assuming it scales linearly with AA samples (which is an absolute worst case scenario) that would mean 20 bytes per pixel for no AA. Which would result in ~40 MB buffer size at 1080p.

If we were to look at Durante's minimum suggested of 16 Bytes per pixel we'd be looking at around 32mb which is about as small as you could go which would be 31.64mb.

This is essentially the MINIMUM you could get away with, Most games would require much higher.

It's always the young gaffers who heavily doubt CBOAT.

You think he just started posting rumors only about XBone?

Dude has been with GAF like a decade, rarely ever posts, but when he does we listen. Why? Because his rumor mill has a very very high accuracy rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom