• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBOAT's latest update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

It's always the young gaffers who heavily doubt CBOAT.

You think he just started posting rumors only about XBone?

Dude has been with GAF like a decade, rarely ever posts, but when he does we listen. Why? Because his rumor mill has a very very high accuracy rate.

You've been paid off by Sony too!

Instro

I wonder why CBOAT only tends to bring bad news about the Xbone? Hidden agenda? He failed to leak any of the upclocks so I doubt he's near the engineering side. Would take what he says regarding hardware with a grain of salt.

He's posted positive Xbone before.

Can someone post links to the things he's gotten exactly right? I don't care about general ideas that are safe guesses. I mean specific information that isn't very easy to guess.

Check his post history. Going back years he has been giving out NPD information, as well as teasing Remember Me and Dead Rising 3 a year or so before their reveals (also the whole Dead Space 3 bro shooter thing).

I'm a cboat skeptic myself, so it's not like I'm intentionally trying to spread misinformation. IMO, his credibility has slipped since E3, and the nature of his posts makes him seem a bit like a playground bully, so I doubt I'll ever be a cboat follower like some here. .

How are his posts " a bit like a playground bully"?

Trying to dismiss his information as false when he gets things wrong very... very rarely, and works for Microsoft using a "rumor" about Sony (a company he doesn't work for) isn't going to work very well.
I was responding directly to the statement that CBOAT was accurate in saying PS4 was going to launch before the Xbone, by pointing out he had the wrong month.
I wasn't dismissing CBOAT at all, and later said
Of course, his word is certainly pretty reliable.
I wasn't trying to discredit him completely, he's been spot on many times.

Calm down.

My pet theory is the MS gave the approval for the Xbox 720 program late, and only with some serious strings attached.

What we know:

This isn't a game console, it's the culmination of Ballmer's vision for Microsoft:
  1. It expands the Windows 8/Windows Phone/Surface ecosystem (probably meant to save the latter two).
  2. It is an advertising goldmine and execs can't conceal their glee. Microsoft has been watching Google and Apple's advances here with palpable envy. 80M users (or 49M gold) would be a nice advantage.
  3. It is a new means of interacting with computers, using Kinect everywhere. So of course it is mandatory here. Dat business/consumer synergy. MS seriously believes your next computer might have Kinect as an alternate control scheme.
None of these things require much hardware power, all of them (I am speculating) were forced on the Xbox One before serious design could even begin. It was always hamstrung, and it is the product of some serious horse trading behind the scenes.

tumblr_m1mkwdUaGU1r9g4gho1_400.jpg

That is probably a fair assessment. I wouldn't doubt that the XBone was hamstrung from the word go, by Ballmer and hostile divisions within Microsoft.

Allard wouldn't have let this happen. He would make sure that the gaming side of things kept up, even when having to deal with the excess baggage dumped on them from the rest of the company. Mattrick was content to go underpowered, and now it's just going to make things harder for them for the rest of the generation.

I can back the boat up on a few of his points.

The story out of nearly every person I know in the industry, outside of Sony (as Sony employees wouldn't know this), is that the February reveal of the PS4 was a jab to the face of Microsoft.

They had no idea that Sony was as far along as they were. They had no idea that Sony had better specs. They had no idea (nor did we) that they were also behind in RAM. The stories are second hand from third party people who talk to people at MS but they all have said the same thing... Microsoft was coasting along looking at late 13 / early 14 release and thought they had the upper hand on Sony who was only now just starting to make money on the PS3 and would be behind them, most likely holiday '14.

This doesn't explain every misstep along the way, of course, a lot of them were just bad decisions from within. But if someone writes a book about this upcoming generation I think there will be some interesting stories from inside Microsoft about their reaction to the PS4 reveal.

allan-bh

cboat apart, 1080p not a rule sounds obvious to me, and I think PS4 will have alot games sub FullHD too.

About upclock, I honestly don't see how the modest gains may compromise the hardware, unless the hardware had issues with original cloks.

co1onel

It's always the young gaffers who heavily doubt CBOAT.

You think he just started posting rumors only about XBone?

Dude has been with GAF like a decade, rarely ever posts, but when he does we listen. Why? Because his rumor mill has a very very high accuracy rate.

You should see how people react to him on other boards. Mostly everyone immediately marks it as a joke.

Granted if you didn't know his history, it would only be sane to do so given his writing.

njean777

I'm not working for any developers, but I'd imagine it's because Microsoft knows it doesn't matter anywhere except message boards like this one and least of all for sales.

It can matter from word of mouth, I mean these people on this board have people that probably ask them about their opinions on gaming machines with intent to purchase one. So yes it can matter.

The story out of nearly every person I know in the industry, outside of Sony (as Sony employees wouldn't know this), is that the February reveal of the PS4 was a jab to the face of Microsoft.

They had no idea that Sony was as far along as they were. They had no idea that Sony had better specs. They had no idea (nor did we) that they were also behind in RAM. The stories are second hand from third party people who talk to people at MS but they all have said the same thing... Microsoft was coasting along looking at late 13 / early 14 release and thought they had the upper hand on Sony who was only now just starting to make money on the PS3 and would be behind them, most likely holiday '14.

This doesn't explain every misstep along the way, of course, a lot of them were just bad decisions from within. But if someone writes a book about this upcoming generation I think there will be some interesting stories from inside Microsoft about their reaction to the PS4 reveal.
Soooo.. Xbone is launching right on time?
Interesting they they might have been so far off on their spec estimates for PS4 tho.

Maybe they were expecting Sony to pack in PS Eye which would even out the price differential a fair bit.

Gorillaz

My pet theory is the MS gave the approval for the Xbox 720 program late, and only with some serious strings attached.

What we know:

This isn't a game console, it's the culmination of Ballmer's vision for Microsoft:
  1. It expands the Windows 8/Windows Phone/Surface ecosystem (probably meant to save the latter two).
  2. It is an advertising goldmine and execs can't conceal their glee. Microsoft has been watching Google and Apple's advances here with palpable envy. 80M users (or 49M gold) would be a nice advantage.
  3. It is a new means of interacting with computers, using Kinect everywhere. So of course it is mandatory here. Dat business/consumer synergy. MS seriously believes your next computer might have Kinect as an alternate control scheme.
None of these things require much hardware power, all of them (I am speculating) were forced on the Xbox One before serious design could even begin. It was always hamstrung, and it is the product of some serious horse trading behind the scenes.

CBOAT is pepe silvia

nib95

Banned

Thanks for the clarification. But yea, writing is on the wall. I think Microsoft being caught off guard by Sony is a pretty logical assumption at this point.

Having said that, late 13 would still be on schedule, but based off the stories about Microsoft being behind on development, policies, et all, I think 2014 would have been the safer bet.

CLEEK

What we know:

Yeah, nailed it.

If you look at the direction MS has taken the 360 in the final years of its life, there have been a few constants:

• Kinect
  • Apps
  • Ads
  • Adoption of Win8 UI
  • Blockbuster AAA events

The writing was on the wall for a long time that MS vision for the next Xbox would be an evolution of the above. The key for me was with the firmware update that introduced the Metro/Modern UI, and the Games section was relegated to the end of the list. More than any PR statements, that spoke volumes about MS's view of gaming.

The next Xbox was always going to be a Windows 8 based entertainment device that also played games. I had assumed the it would be powerful enough to mean that if you just cared about gaming, you'd still be well catered for. But MS obviously had different ideas. Since the PS4 reveal, they realised they've dun goofed in how important games are to, er, gamers, and are now in panic mode to claw some reputation back.

The really really fucking stupid thing is that the early adopter market for the new Xbox will be gamers. You're not going to buy a $500 box to use apps, or stream media. You're going to buy it to play next gen games. But MS in their infinite wisdom decided to alienate the very market they need for their new console to succeed.

Compare this to Sony, who since the PS4 reveal have had all their PR focused on one thing, and one thing only:

• Games

njean777

Thanks for the clarification. But yea, writing is on the wall. I think Microsoft being caught off guard by Sony is a pretty logical assumption at this point.

I think it it very apparent as well, everything from them seems rushed beyond the normal rushing you see with products.

Check his post history. Going back years he has been giving out NPD information, as well as teasing Remember Me and Dead Rising 3 a year or so before their reveals (also the whole Dead Space 3 bro shooter thing).

I heard that a lot of his posts were archived to make him seem more accurate. Is that true?

Simple translations: All early adopters are going to be willing beta testers. Best version of the hardware in two years.

This applies to Sony too, take note.

Yeah, I'm bitter after the last one.

TheD

The Detective
I'd say both. Self publishing is huge. Plus the fact that the PS4 is a Unix machine with normal (relatively) x86 architecture parts and of course PCs, should make development much easier than most. If the Vita is based on Unix/Linux (not sure), it should be easy to make as well. Same goes with the Wii U.

It can not be Linux.

Salex_

cboat apart, 1080p not a rule sounds obvious to me, and I think PS4 will have alot games sub FullHD too.

About upclock, I honestly don't see how the modest gains may compromise the hardware, unless the hardware had issues with original cloks.

Sony too!™

hawk2025

I still can't believe that the PS4 reveal came out of damn nowhere. It's pretty amazing to think about.

One day, we all saw a "Tune in February 20th for the future of Playstation" tease, and the rest is history.

Underestimating the company that blew up the industry with the PS1 and PS2 was a terrible mistake, regardless of how they felt about the company's finances and its performance with the PS3.

I-hate-u

Needs to happen. This year imo is probably the biggest year in gaming in terms of shockers. I would love to know the reactions internally within the big 3.

IN&OUT

Banned

I would give $10,000 just to be inside MS HQ during Feb reveal. Imagine their faces, hilarious :)

ramb0211

Banned
It can matter from word of mouth, I mean these people on this board have people that probably ask them about their opinions on gaming machines with intent to purchase one. So yes it can matter.

Well yea if the people giving advice on which console to buy are doing so based only on which platform runs games at higher resolution then it would matter. I usually try to take my friends' tastes into account as that's why they're asking me and not somebody who doesn't know what they like. Most of the people on here probably aren't close-minded enough to evangelize for one platform for something so silly, and Microsoft isn't going to reach those people regardless of what they do anyways.

Neo Ankh

Neo Member
It seems logical for Microsoft to be surprised by Sony on the RAM situation. From what has been said Sony themselves weren't sure what they were going to go with until very close to the unveiling.

I heard that a lot of his posts were archived to make him seem more accurate. Is that true?

No, at the very least his last 3 years of posts have been very accurate. These last few months he has been posting a LOT more than in the past, as well as overreaching into Sony related stuff (which he admitted was a bad decision as he didn't have concrete sources on that stuff).

You should see how people react to him on other boards. Mostly everyone immediately marks it as a joke.

Granted if you didn't know his history, it would only be sane to do so given his writing.

That is true. It does make GAF feel all the more special in these ways. I certainly remember the first time years ago trying to comprehend his inapplicable user name for the first time.

Honey Bunny

I'd be more interested in that book than I am in any next gen game right now

What we know:

If that's so then... *runs and barfs profusely*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom