• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese Foxconn sketch artists returns with the NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

Unless I'm reading this wrong, isn't the brick also the charger? I don't see why it's got people gnashing their teeth. Doesn't it just give you better graphics when you're plugged in?

KAL2006

Banned
One thing I don't get. Why not just have the Performance Module act as a dock. So we just get 2 parts. I guess they want the performance module to be separate so people are more keen to move it about like a portable nd not be wired to the TV which the dock will do.

I don't know where you've been, but this has been the exact same rumor for years now.

The rumor included a battery powered performance module since when?

The rumors I'd seen circulating insinuated a weaker handheld, that got enhanced by the dock that had additional hardware and was hooked up to your TV. Simple.

This version has the performance module as a separate battery powered ordeal, your HDD separate on the dock, and your weaker handheld screen thing to mix and match with. This sounds like a bigger mess than the rumors.

Gator86

So let's review.

The main handheld 6-inch 720p handheld, with low graphics fidelity.
III
III
III
(which can connect to)
III
III
III
V
A portable battery powered performance enhancer side tumor, with it's own GPU/CPU but far less powerful than a PS4, which was already underpowered for a console three years ago.
III
III
III
(which can connect to)
III
III
III
V
The dock, which has inputs, TV out, and an HDD

Christ almighty, they did it. They created a console more asinine than the WiiU.

please be fake.

I kind of hope this is real just for the meltdowns.

maxcriden

Yes to all question would be what I would answer after reading this.

Thank you. But what the heck could the dock di with no module?

To me it sounds like when you're in range or plugged in it has the Wii U power, when you leave the range of the booster it can't run certain games anymore?

Right, well, unless those games can stream to the HH via wifi.

A bit confused by this. The dock doesn't provide extra power, but detached, the handheld is at a lower fidelity?

The dock doesn't detach. It stays plugged into your TV. The HH is at a low quality by default. The module plugs into the dock to allow console play, or into the HH to boost HH performance.

speaking of which, do we know if the HH plugs into the dock at all? Or only the module does?

So...the dock does not provide any extra power? just a TV output with HDD and cartridges. All I get from this is NX will get Mobile game ports rather that full-fledged console quality games :/

The dock doesn't provide performance, the module does (to both the dock, to make it a console, and to thr HH, to make it a stronger HH).

So if im understanding this correctly it has most power when it's connected to the power dock (console style).

Then significantly less power when away from the dock (handheld style).

But you can also stream to the handheld if you're at home and within range of the power dock? (Wii U style).

So if im at home and I don't want to game on my TV I can play this at full power if I stream to it?

Yes, yes and yes, but you also can connect thr module to the HH to boost power. Thr module detached from the HH.

well it sounds like there's no cart slot on the handheld itself

Hm, I got the sense the HH will play carts also. I have to look at the quotr again.

Handheld will have a 720p screen no matter what, but the dock most likely adds something for 1080p on the TV.

Right, but it also adds performance to the HH.

Looking at the translation. The dock and the performance module are separate? It says the dock has no CPU/GPU but the performance module does.

Yes. Exactly. The dock does nothing without the module.

If the tablet controller is plugged into the dock for play on the tv, how do you control the game action from your couch?

Detachable controllers and other controllers. That's if the HH does need to be plugged into the dock. It may not need to be if the module is the console.

So there are 3 different configurations then?

1. Portable unit can work by itself for basic applications and play games at a lower performance level.

2. Performance module can stream to the portable from the dock similar to WiiU and PS4 to Vita remote play

3. Performance module can be attached to the portable for high performance gaming on the go without streaming but is limited to the performance module's battery.

Am I getting that right?

Right, though I'm unclear on number two. Also, #4, you can play like a traditional console with the module (and HH?) plugged into the dock.

The way I interpret that translation: without the performance module, your handheld could do Nintendo Mobile games like Mario Run and Miitomo and such. If you want to play stuff like Breath of the Wild, hook in the Performance Module. Same for at home play. It keeps the mobile handheld portion small and light if you want it to be, or if you want console experiences, bring a battery powered performance thing that will allow you to play NX games on the go.

I wonder if the games won't just look and perform a bit worse rather than not being playable. Seems that would cut out a lot if player's portability.

Oregano

This sounds confusing and expensive. I'm not sure how this is actually meant to work as a product.

I just want Nintendo to end the speculation.

tolkir

I don't understand. Its sounds like what we have thought all along, and NOW people don't like it?

200.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't get why people are freaking out--this is almost exactly what has been theorized for nearly a year.

This thing is going to be sub-$250 with good software. That's their selling point here.

No, it's not. It's an under-powered console and under-powered handheld and a power pack. This is worse than the previous speculations.

Markoman

But this means I can buy a different performance module in the future.
Huh...

Huh...haven't even thought about that. Nice

On the other hand, this is not the creative move from Nintendo I expected.
Why isn't the performance module built into a sylish helmet/hat????

Something like this...

1460101412-IMG-1202.jpg

Personally I feel it's a PR nightmare at first glance in terms of explaining it. However, there are ways to clarify. Especially this: split it into two distinct products that have the option of interacting with each other. The NX Home and NX Mobile. People who don't care about mobile could just go to the store and buy the NX plus docking station. People who just want the mobile gaming experience could go to the store and buy the NX plus handheld screen. People who want both could just buy the one piece they're missing.

If this is what they're thinking I truly hope they're going to be beyond crystal clear with the messaging. I don't mind carrying a little extra cube in my back pack that streams BotW to my handheld. But if some thought PS4 Pro was confusing, this might give it some competition.

I'm pretty sure it does - that box has the cartridge slot and hard drive. Fromwhat it seems to me the tablet only has just powerful enough SOC for really basic stuff, like streaming graphics and probably menus.
Wth...so I'm basically buying the NX tablet that does nothing until I buy a box then it turns into a video game machine to play on the go.

Something isn't making sense. Nintendo would never do this to the Japanese fan base who loves handhelds. They wouldn't make them buy another thing to make the NX work on the go.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, as a Chinese, I found some one in that a9vg thread just points out this image is from somebody's yy(imagination) in tieba.baidu.com(another chinese form like reddit)

Quoting since it seems this is relevant.
So...time to think about what to do of this thread, maybe?

Mik317

this sounds dumb.

I mean luckily I really only play portable stuff at home or on long car rides so no big deal....but yeah this isn't going to hit. The power brick part is the issue, just the system and the home dock makes sense...but having that third part for ruins it.

so yeah this is real; Because Nintendo

Ghandi

Banned
What if
The performance module could also stream on ios and android smartphones,
using them as displays/controllers.

Some part of me wants to say, #TeamFake, but most of the others are confused.

What I know with absolute certainty is that all these rumors are killing my life, because I have no self control and read the threads, all the threads, and the reddits all the reddits all the time help me I have like real time sensitive obligations what is wrong with me

Three parts? And people said it wouldn't have third part support...
Thats good, thats damn good.gif

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
It appears to be a cube-shaped game device

Like some sort of ... Game-Cube

It better have a fucking handle on it, otherwise it's not a true "cube-shaped game device".

Black_Red

Actually I really like this, i was seeing this more like a next handheld than a new console. And if the handheld on his own is stronger than a vita i would be ok.

Now, we really need to know how much the power module increases it's power and how are both batteries. (Also I assume that you cant have the power module working on your backpack because of ventilation, that could have been great).

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Well, as a Chinese, I found some one in that a9vg thread just points out this image is from somebody's yy(imagination) in tieba.baidu.com(another chinese form like reddit)

Reddit-esque fantasy exists everywhere it seems.
Back to the waiting game then

Thraktor

What evidence do we actually have that this is legitimate?

- It's posted on the same forum as the PS4 Slim/Pro leaks
- It's a a biro drawing

Given that it's not the same poster as the PS4 leaks, and anyone can quite easily get hold of both a biro and an account on that forum, I don't really see why everyone's so quick to jump on this as real. Even more so considering they're claiming that Nintendo haven't even decided between Nvidia and AMD for the SoC at this stage.

I'm pretty sure it does - that box has the cartridge slot and hard drive. Fromwhat it seems to me the tablet only has just powerful enough SOC for really basic stuff, like streaming graphics and probably menus.

That's not what I'm reading in that post at all.

The DOCK, which connects to the tv, has the HDD. The tablet is capable of playing everything. It'll obviously have its own small internal memory (sd?) and a cartridge slot.

How hard is this? Play on the handheld or dock it to your tv. Add the power box to beef up the graphics. It's not rocket science. Come on.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Three parts? And people said it wouldn't have third part support...
Sorry to those who follow me on twitter, but this joke was too good not to re-use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom