• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinemablend calls out gaming press, accuses them of living in a Doritocracy

eznark

Banned
Again, why would anyone actively put their reputation on the line to appease them? Why not just ignore the issue? Isn't it more likely that some people just think that the resolution issue is a red herring?

Because reputation is meaningless in the industry. The whole goal of most of these clowns is to get hired by the companies they shill for.

What press outfits defended MS original DRM plans and now think 720p is good enough? Is there a pattern?

The same guy that wrote that recent Ars Technica article about the resolution not being a big deal was also a DRM supporter. Interestingly less than two months before he wrote this most recent article he wrote another about the Vita TV and how it didn't make sense because people with expensive HDTV's want to be able to take full advantage of said HDTV's, which the Vita TV wouldn't allow.

Imm0rt4l

doritocracy

XS5LK.gif

The problem is that a lot of gaming sites are scared to get blacklisted.

There's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes in the games media industry than is let on.

The press live a strange life. At E3 they can flash their badge to skip the lines, get access to a nicer lounge, and get review copies thrown at them.

Outside of that, it's a struggle. They have to constantly hound publishers to get review copies, which are subsequently read by publishers, and often determine whether they get the invites to launch parties and the next game for free.

Bigger sites often have large contracts, especially in terms of advertising, which means they don't want to upset potential advertisers, since they need that money to get by.

Because the game news sites thrive on advertising from the same people they review products from, they can never be truly objective. That IGN AMA? That was sponsored.

I'd never choose a console over a $100 difference because over a 7-10 year period I end up spending thousands on games. I'm choosing the PS4 for now because it's a better design in many ways.

I think the sites want the appearance of parity because it means you need to read more articles to figure out what's what. A good horse rate drives up hits.

"They're downplaying how big of an investment $500 is."

but $400 isn't? Honestly I agree that the $100 isn't much. You're already in an price range where ita expensive. $100 isn't going to be a priority in pushing someone away. It might help some decide they want the PS4, but either way you're going to spend a lot more than $400/$500 when you add in one game and a subscription, at minimum. Honestly both the Xbox One and PS4 are luxury products. The people buying them aren't going to be turned off by the $100 difference alone.

I think that the central message of the article is spot on. It's a shame that it's written with so much amateurish rhetoric that nobody can take it seriously. What a fucking mess.

Jedi2016

They should remember they answer to us, the readers, not slavishly defend Microsoft's poor execution.
While it would be this way in a perfect world, the truth is that they answer only to the people who pay them. And in this case, it's clearly Microsoft. I refuse to believe that Edge did a complete 180 out of the goodness of their hearts instead of a big-ass paycheck (or straight-up threats... or both) from Microsoft. It's also pretty well proven based on the fact that smaller and international sites appear to be immune to this, and continue to report the truth. The only ones seeing this miraculous change of heart are the big sites with millions of users, with a lot of sway in the minds of ill-informed readers.

They bring up a good point about sites like Ars Technica, though. Sites that have no problem saying to readers to flat-out "do not buy this" if a PC component underperforms, especially against a cheaper alternative, yet they do the exact opposite in the case of these consoles which are used for the exact same thing.. playing games at the highest fidelity possible.

Luckily, any reader who's on the fence about which one to buy, who hasn't given in to one side or the other, will go for PS4 even after reading these articles. Because the best they can do is downplay the differences, they cannot simply deny them any more. So buried within even these biased articles are breadcrumbs of truth that can still be picked out.

Gaming journalism is one filled with fanboyism and relationships with people in certain areas of the industry. Sad but not surprising. Not sure what can change it other than all the big name sites joining together and doing their jobs.

but $400 isn't? Honestly I agree that the $100 isn't much. You're already in an price range where ita expensive. $100 isn't going to be a priority in pushing someone away. It might help some decide they want the PS4, but either way you're going to spend a lot more than $400/$500 when you add in one game and a subscription, at minimum. Honestly both the Xbox One and PS4 are luxury products. The people buying them aren't going to be turned off by the $100 difference alone.

Uhh, $100 is still huge. That's exactly why the Amazon sales rankings are the way they are. And it's also a big reason the Xbox 360 sold better than the $400 PS3 that people seem to forget it existed.

Just because you know it's the cost of a handful of games over many years, to a lot of people that's just throwing away cash.

tranciful

It's not just an extra $100. It's an extra $100 for inferior hardware. You're taking the $100 out of context by isolating it and acting like everything else is equal.

Finalizer

Remember, this is the same gaming press that was attacking their readers for being mad with the DRM policies on the Xbox One. And when gamers put enough pressure on Microsoft and they started making 180's, the gaming press changed their tune too.

It's pathetic and frustrating to watch, really. When Sony and Nintendo fuck up, they get called right out for it, yet MS is carefully coddled and given that reassuring pat on the back, needlessly being given the benefit of the doubt even when the readers can themselves plainly see that much is completely unnecessary. It's a gross double standard.

And then to think that these self-proclaimed journalists could actually have any influence over some folks' buying decisions. That's probably the most frightening prospect.

Not a fan of this article. AT ALL.

Of course you aren't, sweetheart.

EDIT: Why not Dewritocracy? Gotta have the Dew with the Doritos yo.

DjRoomba

Banned
Gaming journalism has always been bullshit.
Reviews are always dictated by ad revenue. Its why some of you are fooled into thinking big budget but terribly shit games like Bioshock Infinite and Gears of War are 10s
Why Jeff Gertzman was fired
Why you'll never see one of the big sites give an anticipated big budget game a bad review
etc

BigDug13

I feel sorry for someone that buys a video game console solely for the hardware.

I guess it's a good thing people don't do that. Most people just want the best console to play CoD, Battlefield, Madden, NBA 2k, need for speed, assassins creed, etc.

Most general gamers don't give a shit about Killzone or Dead Rising or Forza.

Doritocracy is a wonderful term.

Hard to fault what they're complaining about here. It's transparently true. "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" and all that.

georly

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason the gaming press does anything for the publishers is because they want to get the games early so that they have a review out in time for release so they don't lose hits to other websites who are.

Movie reviewers can watch a movie in 2 hours on the day of release, and get a review out before the afternoon, so that people going to see the movie that night can read the review ahead of time.

You can't play through most games in 2 hours, hence the dilemma. You need the games early so you don't lose to websites who do get the games early. If even a small handful of games play dirty and get the games early, they will beat the people who are just waiting for release.

Jack_AG

Banned
Good read. It's true tho - the downplaying is crazy as fuck. Let's look at the price advantage for each console and pretend EVERYTHING else about the games (framerate, IQ, textures, models, etc) are the same EXCEPT the known native resolutions. 500 for X1, 400 for PS4:

500/(1280*720) for both COD & BF4 X1
400/(1920*1080) COD PS4
400/(1600*900) BF4 PS4

$0.00054 Per pixel COD on Xbox One
$0.00019 Per pixel COD on PS4

You are paying 2.84 times as much per pixel to play on Xbox One. (184% more)

$0.00054 Per pixel BF4 on Xbox One
$0.00027 Per pixel BF4 on PS4

You are paying 2 times as much per pixel to play on Xbox One. (100% more)

--

Performance per dollar - that is a huge fucking gap. Websites downplaying JUST the resolution differences are doing a disservice for consumers.

Oersted

Meh. Article is pretty much painting the picture that MS is the only adspace overlord. The problem is a far more widespread standard within this industry, than just MS.

Sean

Banned
Not a fan of this article. AT ALL.

This article is an exaggeration. Didn't like it.

It's CinemaBlend. Every gaming related article they post is garbage.

Yep, here's an actual article from the same author (William Usher) yesterday: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/vi...major-texture-issues-battlefield-4-60288.html

If you're a die hard Xbot, Xboner, Xboy or Xbox devotee, you may want to steer clear of the news because this will surely turn the sunshine in your day into salty tears. Anyway, during a live-stream for the Xbox One, it has been discovered (and recorded by those watching) that the Xbox One's version of Battlefield 4 suffers major texture caching issues.

Gameranx managed to get their hands on an image, in addition to a reader sending them a gif that's worth more than 720 words. No sense in delaying the inevitable... I'll just let you take a look at the evidence for yourself.

Oh wow... dem ground textures!

This is yet another huge blow against Microsoft, proving once again that any sort of public display for the Xbox One only results in public humiliation. The last time we had public footage of the Xbox One was when the operating system absolutely failed and for ten minutes the poor technician couldn't even get the system to load. For those of you doubting, just check out the footage right here.

Also, for those wondering why I didn't rip into the Xbox One as hard as Barry Bonds eats into steroids it's because the video above kind of does that for me. I almost feel sorry for the Xbox One at this point, failing harder than Pauly Shore's career... wait, no I don't. Hahahaha.

Alchemist

Microsoft has the media in their back pocket. There wasn't nearly this much damage control coming from them during the early days of PS3.

Kimawolf

I feel sorry for someone that buys a video game console solely for the hardware.

Yes That's what i'm saying, the GAMEs have to count eventually in this discussion, not just masturbating to perceived technological superiority in a small bubble, which seems to be the going sentiment on GAF when it comes to PS4 as a gaming console. It is NOT in the least impressive, it does nothing new, and all the "good games" are either pushed back to who knows when, cross gen games or multiplat. Xbone has inferior tech, but to me better launch games, but even it doesn't have an amazing line up.

I don't, nor will I ever understand the love the PS4 gets, as people prop it up on some pedestal even though its be fairly boring, average and as usual filled with "promises". There is not a single revolutionary thing about it, and if you bring nothing new then you better be the BEST at doing the same thing, and it isn't even that. And no the Xbone doesn't get off the hook, I just feel no need to mention it because no one ignores its issues and problems.

Games journalism is in a bad place. The subjectivity of reviews, which is wholly understandable, has bled too far into what should be the objectivity of reporting. There's no such thing as a straight story anymore in most places. Can't just report that CoD is a higher resolution on one console, the games journalist feels the need to insert their own opinion as to whether or not that matters. There is no more reporting to let the consumer decide; it's all tinged with the authors opinions and preferences. We should be able to separate these kinds of modes of communication.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Good read. It's true tho - the downplaying is crazy as fuck. Let's look at the price advantage for each console and pretend EVERYTHING else about the games (framerate, IQ, textures, models, etc) are the same EXCEPT the known native resolutions. 500 for X1, 400 for PS4:

500/(1280*720) for both COD & BF4 X1
400/(1920*1080) COD PS4
400/(1600*900) BF4 PS4

$0.00054 Per pixel COD on Xbox One
$0.00019 Per pixel COD on PS4

You are paying 2.84 times as much per pixel to play on Xbox One.

$0.00054 Per pixel BF4 on Xbox One
$0.00027 Per pixel BF4 on PS4

You are paying 2 times as much per pixel to play on Xbox One.

--

Performance per dollar - that is a huge fucking gap. Websites downplaying JUST the resolution differences are doing a disservice for consumers.

oh my, that is one way to put it. lol good post

FranXico

But once you've decided to spend up to 500 dollars/euros on one of two devices, wouldn't you rather know that the one that costs 100 dollars/euros less is better at performing their main purpose than the other?

I know I would.

vpance

The tech oriented benchmarking sites coming out and downplaying the performance difference are the saddest ones.

Fretting to leave industry because you didn't get a PS4 pre-launch: Adam Sessler.

Catching a hissy fit because Sony didn't send you a PS4: Annoyed gamer.

And they call themselves journalists?

Journalists should rebuke companies who offer them free swag, because they should want to stay away from any bias, every time.

But the games industry don't have real journalists. What we have are a bunch of enthusiasts who sit in the lap of big publishers and console makers, waiting for free swag, free trips and expensive hotels.

Games journalism, at the moment, is a crying shame.

They refuse to report on the facts, like PS4 being more powerful than Xbox One, and then play down the truth, saying things like: "it doesn't really matter" and, "you will not see the difference".

So don't be swayed by them, and don't be fooled by their crafty lingo. Many of them have an Xbox bias, one that was born since the Xbox 360 was launched and dominated the U.S. And one that they're finding harder and harder to shake off as, it seems, PS4 is about to dominate every market it's released in.

Gorillaz

It isn't just even bout the resolution its the flip flop and childish nature of it all. This entire year the press showed its true nature of being a joke.

They shouldnt be playing PS4/X1 fanboy games. Your suppose to be above that

Top Bottom