• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinematic Games Should Be Watchable (without playing)

Whompa

It would be cool for games to have an autopilot function, where the AI kicks in and controls your main character at your discretion

That already happens. It's called QuickTime events. Just replace AI with scripted sequence and there you go.

Is this really a suggestion to extent QuickTime events to last minutes at a time?

Astery

If I tell an aunt that dabbles in facebook and iphone games that The Last of Us is an incredible game with an immersive story reminiscent of her favorite Cormac McCarthy book, then hand her a controller with 92358302589 buttons and expect her to make it through shooting and stealth sections on even the easiest setting, I'd just be wasting both our time.

She has no macho "I need to earn this!" impulse. She would just never, ever be able to experience that story, and proclaim that videogames are not and never will be for her.

Wait for the last of us: the movie.

Seriously tho, this argument feels like I don't want to read a lot of text so I won't read books and misses out on good stories that people recommend, call me again when it's on the silver screen.

Don't know why you would do that with Batman and miss out on that fun combat system. Also don't know why you would rather watch D-tier game stories instead of playing them. Why not just watch a bad movie on the Syfy channel?

I find myself agreeing with your opinion more and more.

I'm pretty sure there's already a massive industry dedicated to telling a story through visuals and sound. Video games would be better if they stuck to being a game.

Mael

But having a "see the story" feature doesn't even changing the content.

That's like saying "movies in general aren't for your aunt" because she wants a fast forward button for her blu ray player remote.

Some hardcore game snobs in this thread.

If I hand your aunt A Song of Ice & Fire and she reject reading it because it have too many words, maybe reading isn't for her.
At some point if there's no longer any gameplay it's no longer a game.

OP you just described a movie. Granted the games industry is currently in its edgy teen stage and wants to be taken seriously so it attempts to emulated an already mature industry to prove to everyone on how grownup they are, but they still require at least a basic amount of player input. Take that away and what do you have?

I'm pretty sure there's already a massive industry dedicated to telling a story through visuals and sound. Video games would be better if they stuck to being a game.

What about when everyone considers facial animations, canned sequences and linear plot-driven drivel to be god's gift to gaming?

If the player had the need to "watch" the game, that game would probably be badly designed in the first place. There's better stories in books and movies, really: games stories must always conform to the fact that it's a game, so there must be plenty of concessions of how the narration flows.

But I perfectly agree about bringing a watch-only mode to pointless piles of shit like Beyond: Two Souls, in which the gameplay and the narration work only if the players mechanically execute a series of meaningless actions without any deviation from whatever the "game designer" decided.

Have you been to the movies lately?

Also, this isn't about just popping in the disk and watching the story. It's about getting half way through the game, getting sick of the game play and just wanting to know how it ends.

Have YOU been to the movies lately? Cause there are still good ones out every month. If you're getting "sick of the gameplay" you're either playing the wrong games or are in the wrong hobby.

I wonder if there are bookworms who wish the cliffs notes would come along with novels, or cinephiles who prefer a 5 minute Youtube clip instead of the movie.

LastNac

These types of games are basically movies. Except almost no one gets to see the end. I just paid $60 for the thing, let me enjoy it the way I want to. Let the artists, actors, writers be appreciated for their work.

You still have the option to see it as it unfolds while playing, nothing would change for you.
No.

And no they "aren't basically movies." By that logic everything could be basically a "movie" including Dark Souls.

If I hand your aunt A Song of Ice & Fire and she reject reading it because it have too many words, maybe reading isn't for her.
At some point if there's no longer any gameplay it's no longer a game.
Would listening to it on an audiobook version sacrilege as well?

Also is it worth going down the rabbit hole and asking if Walking Dead kept nothing but the branching story choices and striped out everything else, does that ruin the game for everyone to have that as an option?

Mael

Have you been to the movies lately?

Transformers 3 has been released in 2011, there's other movies out there you know.

Also, this isn't about just popping in the disk and watching the story. It's about getting half way through the game, getting sick of the game play and just wanting to know how it ends.

Wikipedia has you covered.

Then she can complain that the audiobook is way too long.

Also is it worth going down the rabbit hole and asking if Walking Dead kept nothing but the branching story choices and striped out everything else, does that ruin the game for everyone to have that as an option?
Didn't play Walking Dead, but a game with branching path that have shit gameplay is not worth watching the end anyway.
Heck otherwise people wouldn't have shelved Alone in the Dark so hard when it released.

The game gets a lot of hate, but Metroid Other M has a funky Movie mode unlockable. It plays all the cutscenes in order with pre-programmed gameplay to fill in any gaps.

The game being absolutely shitty to play proved that it was surprisingly the better option actually in some cases.
The best option being actually never even going near that turd.

Robin64

The game gets a lot of hate, but Metroid Other M has a funky Movie mode unlockable. It plays all the cutscenes in order with pre-programmed gameplay to fill in any gaps.

LastNac

Listen, I love cinematic experiences.

I love Uncharted for what it offers during gameplay. Uncharted 3 is my favorite for that reason. My favorite moments in TLoU weren't the combat heavy one's. Turn those particular moments from TLoU or the desert in Uncharted 3 a cutscene and you have completely removed what I loved about it.

Its not about passive beauty. Its about what and how is presented while I am actually involved.

That is pretty rad.

The problem from literally going cutscene to cutscene is someone will go from standing in a cityscape to suddenly having a flesh wound while hanging from airplane. Someone made a "Last of Us: The Movie" that did what you essentially described with minimal gameplay and worked pretty well if that type of feature were to become a ubiquitous.

Dorfdepp

Neo Member

There's a huge difference between TWD and say, Arkham Origins (mentioned in the OP). TWD has very little gameplay as is, and stripping it down to choices only would require a simple change of removing the boring QTEs. So, really horrible example you picked.

I would be ok with it though but only for games like TWD. I value gameplay above anything else. Personally, I came to despise games like Bioshock Infinite because they constantly interrupt my gameplay with cutscenens and whatnot and have resorted to games with little to no story.

In conclusion: ok for games with next to no gameplay, not ok for games where the story should be just a loose framework for excellent gameplay.

Mael

That is pretty rad.

The problem from literally going cutscene to cutscene is someone will go from standing in a cityscape to suddenly having a flesh wound while hanging from airplane. Someone made a "Last of Us: The Movie" that did what you essentially described with minimal gameplay and worked pretty well if that type of feature were to become a ubiquitous.

That wasn't rad, it only allowed you to go to the parts you already saw.
If you wanted the ending you still had to suffer through the game

Astery

It's almost the same as on-disk DLC. I bought the disk, the ending is on the disk, why do I have to EARN the right to enjoy it?

Time=Money. Making my spend my time getting things already on the disk is the same as making me spend money for things already on the disk.

Why is it fun to play RPGs when I can just grab the best gear and items at the beginning? No one got the time to grind for them gears.

The journey of how you reach the end is all a part of the game experience. Taking one out will affect everything.

In conclusion: ok for games with next to no gameplay, not ok for games where the story should be just a loose framework for excellent gameplay.
The hypothetical feature wouldn't remove anything for you or anyone else that wants to explore the gameplay systems, it's for someone who wants to see the rest of the story with the full knowledge there'll be a compromise at the expense of what the gameplay adds.

The OP wasn't asking if someone who posts on a videogame message board would use it, just if it it should be an option.

monome

I can't find a single game I would rather watch.

it's not like movies/series/books don't exist in this world if you don't feel like picking up a controller.

LastNac

The hypothetical feature wouldn't remove anything for you or anyone else that wants to explore the gameplay systems, it's for someone who wants to see the rest of the story with the full knowledge there'll be a compromise at the expense of what the gameplay adds.

The OP wasn't asking if someone who posts on a videogame message board would use it, just if it it should be an option.
This is why we need to move away from cutscenes so this thing isn't even an option.

Since 90% of people don't finish the game, it sounds like this is already the case.

Hence "further". My point is that adding this feature would just make things worse by fighting the symptom -- struggling through poor gameplay so that one can see the rest of the story -- without addressing the actual cause.

Mael

Metroid Other M did this well.

No, Other M didn't do this at all.
It only unlocked cutscenes as far as the game you discovered.
The cinematics being the shittiest you could ever imagine also doesn't help the case at all.
Heck there's no option to skip them if you so wish.

Daingurse

Honestly wouldn't care if this was implemented. I don't give a shit about other people beating their games. It's their money, their time, more options are good. I probably wouldn't use this, but if such an option existed, it wouldn't bother me.

Pillville

Why is it fun to play RPGs when I can just grab the best gear and items at the beginning? No one got the time to grind for them gears.

The journey of how you reach the end is all a part of the game experience. Taking one out will affect everything.

I realized that was a dumb analogy and removed it.

Listen, I love cinematic experiences.

I love Uncharted for what it offers during gameplay. Uncharted 3 is my favorite for that reason. My favorite moments in TLoU weren't the combat heavy one's. Turn those particular moments from TLoU or the desert in Uncharted 3 a cutscene and you have completely removed what I loved about it.

Its not about passive beauty. Its about what and how is presented while I am actually involved.

The issue here isn't about those moments though. This seems to be about wanting to skip ALL gameplay, no matter how little gameplay the section might be, and just 'watch' the game instead. What you're talking about is actual cinematic qualities, what the OP's talking about is literal cinema. That's why this is so perplexing. Movies are leaps and bounds better at being movies than games are. Why would anyone want one medium to be something it's not, especially when it's just being a worse version of that medium.

If Billy Bob Notagamer and Granda OldWoman can't get through The Last of Us and don't want to get proficient at the game, let them go watch or read The Road. The medium shouldn't contort itself to appease people that don't even appreciate the one major part of it that differentiates it from other story based entertainment.

Derrick01

Banned
Real B-tier actors are boring compared to digitised A-tier actors, also games have better special effects.

also see: Beyond: Two Souls

But did you see sharknado? That was a brilliantly bad movie that knew it was a bad movie and ran with it. I wish AAA games were that self aware.

This is why we need to move away from cutscenes so this thing isn't even an option.
That's a whole other issue.

Portal 1/2: The 'Cutscene' Movie would require a lot of creativity, and that's a huge feather in its cap.

But did you see sharknado? That was a brilliantly bad movie that knew it was a bad movie and ran with it. I wish AAA games were that self aware.
2281375-deadlypremonition1_98760_screen.jpg

Close as we'll get.

Hey guys lets charge $60 for a movie with as little interaction as possible.

Whoever wants that, good for you but I'll stick to my games, thanks.
Interestingly enough if somebody charged $15 for a "movie only" version of a game most people would probably just buy that version.

This also wouldn't work very well on games with heavy path branching. Alpha Protocol would be very difficult to implement as a cutscene-only product.

LastNac

The issue here isn't about those moments though. This seems to be about wanting to skip ALL gameplay, no matter how little gameplay the section might be, and just 'watch' the game instead. What you're talking about is actual cinematic qualities, what the OP's talking about is literal cinema. That's why this is so perplexing. Movies are leaps and bounds better at being movies than games are. Why would anyone want one medium to be something it's not, especially when it's just being a worse version of that medium.

If Billy Bob Notagamer and Granda OldWoman can't get through The Last of Us and don't want to get proficient at the game, let them go watch or read The Road. The medium shouldn't contort itself to appease people that don't even appreciate the one major part of it that differentiates it from other story based entertainment.
Oh, I get what he is saying and personally find it somewhat offensive. I was just indicating that the aforementioned moments are my idea of something being "cinematic", using it purely as an adjective to design a moment. Keep the cinematic ratio, attention to detail, filmesque performances and animations, and developer controlled "filmic" camera angles; just do all of these things during gameplay.

But to remove anyform of input, to take interactivity out of the game is ridiculous. It would be like just wanting the audio track from a movie and never wanting to watch it. It defeats the purpose of the medium by disrupting its very DNA. I could never stand behind that. This medium can be cinematic, it should never be cinema. Even from a storytelling point I think its weaker. I played Shenmue and then watched the "movie" that was released with Shenmue 2 on Xbox, no where near as impactful. Shenmue's story really needs that time commitment in order to resonate, you simply cant get that in two hours.

TLDR edition.

I agree with you Net, 100% on this matter.

I would never use this feature, mostly because as others have said, films already exist. A few other issues:

How many games have stories good or memorable enough that audiences would care about what happens if they weren't in the story/investing in?/bonding with? the player character?

How big is the audience for this/how profitable would this be for developers?

This could be a new revenue stream (which means some publisher will probably try it at some price point) but how would it affect normal gameplay?

Pricing? Surely most people wouldn't pay $60 for a couple hours of "game watching" in addition to the price of a console.

As a consumer, wouldn't it make more sense to pick another medium you're interested in with fewer barriers to entry?

I feel that by doing that you would miss out on a lot... not all story happens during cinematics. TLOU is a great example, there is a lot of bonding and dialogue during gameplay.

Pillville

Pricing? Surely most people wouldn't pay $60 for a couple hours of "game watching" in addition to the price of a console.

This is not about buying a game just so you can watch a movie. This is for the many times I've spent 15 hours on a game, get completely sick of the game play, and just want to see the rest of the story.

90% of game owners don't finish the games they start, so I can't be the only one.

This wouldn't cost the developer anything except the time to code a menu option to watch the story. The voices/animations/story/etc... is all already there, you just have a short cut to watch them.

.GqueB.

Banned
Don't know why you would do that with Batman and miss out on that fun combat system. Also don't know why you would rather watch D-tier game stories instead of playing them. Why not just watch a bad movie on the Syfy channel?

Was it that much different in the recent game? I watched a video and it looked very samey but I only glanced. Did they change it up at all?

LakeEarth

I felt Uncharted 3 was already doing this. There were too many sections where there was 5 seconds of gameplay between cutscenes.

Interfectum

No offense but this seems like a dumb idea. A lot of cinematic games still tell the story during the gameplay so you are going to have a lot of disjointed scenes cut together with not a lot of context. Just watch TV brah.

LastNac

I felt Uncharted 3 was already doing this. There were too many sections where there was 5 seconds of gameplay between cutscenes.
If anything, Uncharted 3 was the one Uncharted you cant say that about. I'd certainly say Uncharted 3 kept you in control longer and more consistently than any of the others. Time wasn't spent shooting but I would say it has the fewest cutscenes and longest gameplay segments of the series.

For someone playing a game merely for the story, and without an option to change the difficulty halfway through, it's ludicrous that they have to redo gameplay mechanics they may not be into in order to see how it all ends.

Not everyone is a stubborn player who grew up with punitive NES death mechanics. It should absolutely be an option.
So which part of this is a game? Punitive NES death mechanics aside.

I actually like when they throw in the gameplay segments to link the cutscenes together

All games that have cinema viewers should add little gameplay segments that benefit the story whether it be a boss battle or 2 characters having a conversation as they work their way thru a level. It just adds to the fun as well as keeping you immersed in the story (after youve beaten it and want to rewatch)

The MGS3 Subsistence Movie that came with the limited edition had gameplay moments between the cutscenes if I'm remembering correctly

I think even the ZOE 2 ZOE1 recap also had gameplay elements mixed in

If anything, Uncharted 3 was the one Uncharted you cant say that about. I'd certainly say Uncharted 3 kept you in control longer and more consistently than any of the others. Time wasn't spent shooting but I would say it has the fewest cutscenes and longest gameplay segments of the series.

Actually, from a quick Google search, Uncharted 2 had ~90 minutes of cutscenes while Uncharted 3 had ~110 minutes.

Also keep in mind that Uncharted 2 was like two or three hours longer.

LastNac

I didn't play the other two Uncharteds. All I know is I dropped the game because I was sick of watching 2 minutes of cutscene for every minute of gameplay.
I never got that feeling at all, then again I played all three and compared from within the series.

Now when you say cutscene you mean them as they actually are? 100% passive, right?

Top Bottom