• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinematic Games Should Be Watchable (without playing)

LastNac

Actually, from a quick Google search, Uncharted 2 had ~90 minutes of cutscenes while Uncharted 3 had ~110 minutes.

Also keep in mind that Uncharted 2 was like two or three 3 hours longer.
A lot of that was filler content though, in regards to Uncharted 2. Throwing you in a massive room and taking thirty minutes to get to the other side.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why would anyone spend $60 on a game (any game) that cant remotely compare to a $20 hollywood film experience.

The visuals will always be worse.

The story will always be worse.

The music will usually be worse.

The presentation, quality will always be worse.

And you'd pay $40 more. Why do it? Just go watch a real film then, thats designed from the top down to be scene in that fashion.

Pillville

Why would anyone spend $60 on a game (any game) that cant remotely compare to a $20 hollywood film experience.

The visuals will always be worse.

The story will always be worse.

The music will usually be worse.

The presentation, quality will always be worse.

And you'd pay $40 more. Why do it? Just go watch a real film then, thats designed from the top down to be scene in that fashion.

People keep missing the point:

This is not about buying a game just so you can watch a movie. This is for the many times I've spent 15 hours on a game, get completely sick of the game play, and just want to see the rest of the story.

A lot of that was filler content though, in regards to Uncharted 2. Throwing you in a massive room and taking thirty minutes to get to the other side.

Ehhh, I'd say the first ~23 chapters of Uncharted 2 are pretty damn great all the way. It doesn't get to "filler" territory for me until
Shambala
and that's only because of
the new enemy type.
That's about 10-11 hours of forward moving gameplay. I'd argue that Uncharted 3 felt like it stalled way more despite being shorter. But we've already been though this, and you know how I feel about that game.

And just for comparison's sake, The Last of Us had ~120 minutes of cutscenes and was easily 2 times longer than Uncharted 3. I'M JUST SAYIN'

Ninja Gaiden has the same feature since the OG xbox. Forgot to mention this as well.

Halo Wars has a feature after you've completed its Campaign your able to watch all the Scenes in the theater mode. That way if you're not interested at all in playing the game itself its a nice treat to sit back and enjoy the CGI.

dock

Yes please.

Give me a fast forward option in games. I'd like to scrub through it.

I lost my Walking Dead save, and I decided that I can't beat to replay those chapters, so I just won't play the game (or other Telltale games.)

I love Nintendo's two solutions. One is to auto-play the level, and you can intervene at any step. It flags your success in the level as being done this way. The other solution is to give you an item that makes the level super easy: the white raccoon suit in the case of Mario 3D Land/World.

I see no problem with that. Why not provide maximal freedom in the way people are able to enjoy the product? This wouldn't cost a lot and it wouldn't be to the detrement of other people who want to play the game to the end.

Interfectum

People keep missing the point:

This is not about buying a game just so you can watch a movie. This is for the many times I've spent 15 hours on a game, get completely sick of the game play, and just want to see the rest of the story.

If the story isn't provocative enough to keep you playing through the easy/simplistic game mechanics then chances are you'll probably be okay not seeing how it ends.

LastNac

Ehhh, I'd say the first ~23 chapters of Uncharted 2 are pretty damn great all the way. It doesn't get to "filler" territory for me until
Shambala
and that's only because of
the new enemy type.
That's about 10-11 hours of forward moving gameplay. I'd argue that Uncharted 3 felt like it stalled way more despite being shorter. But we've already been though this, and you know how I feel about that game.

And just for comparison's sake, The Last of Us had ~120 minutes of cutscenes and was easily 2 times longer than Uncharted 3. I'M JUST SAYIN'
Yeah, save for a few moments in the middle, the road leading up to Shambala really was the worst of it...

Also, lets not forget that a lot of Uncharted 3 was set piece focused, and personally, I prefer that to 45 minutes of moving from similar looking room to similar looking room and dispatching bad dudes in similar ways. Uncharted 2 seemed to have a lot of that, in my personal opinion, but it really started to show when getting to Schafer and the village before hand. The tank battle was awesome though.

In regards to TLoU, I just wish 50% was Summer. Frankly, Summer is probably where most of those cutscenes are...

Need to go through all of ND's PS3 offerings again in order to come up with a definitive opinion on them.

Slightly OT, did you get a PS4, Net?

danmaku

The 10% statistic is bullshit. It refers to Red Dead Redemption, an open world game that encourage the player to explore the map and do random shit instead of doing the story missions. I bet the % is much higher for linear games like TR (but still less than 50%, I guess).

Anyway, I suppose some would appreciate the option. Maybe it would make more obvious how bad (usually) game stories are when you take away the interaction.

On the other hand, I can't help but think that games, just like movies and books and everything else, are not for everyone, and shouldn't try so hard to appeal to everyone. If you think Proust is boring, read something else. You don't really need a summarized version of In Search of Lost Time because you can't be arsed to read all the books.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So games aren't for 90% of the people who bought them?

Nothing stops you from playing game later (or the MP if included), even if you've seen the story.

Have you been to the movies lately?

Also, this isn't about just popping in the disk and watching the story. It's about getting half way through the game, getting sick of the game play and just wanting to know how it ends.
Is there some study I missed that said 90% of gamers don't finish games or are you pulling that number outta yo ass?
Why would anyone want to play a game AFTER they have watched the story? You are saying if people could pay 60$, get to watch the story, then after that they would replay the game? Seriously ?
And are you actually saying that movie stories these days are worse than game stories? Seriously....
I'd love an example of that , tell me the story that as good or better than Hollywood. I think the last of us and GTA had awesome stories but movies they were not.

I would most likely refuse to buy any game that does this. Like, you don't even think your gameplay is worth giving a shot?

If it can be watched as a movie make a freakin' movie.

Slightly OT, did you get a PS4, Net?

Yeah, man. How else am I supposed to argue next current gen vidyagames?

Oddly enough, I'm spending more time on my PS3 now than I was in the weeks leading up to the PS4. I just got a bunch of shooters from the last year+ that I missed :X
and I was so desperate for a new generation

Interfectum

Is there some study I missed that said 90% of gamers don't finish games or are you pulling that number outta yo ass?
Why would anyone want to play a game AFTER they have watched the story? You are saying if people could pay 60$, get to watch the story, then after that they would replay the game? Seriously ?
And are you actually saying that movie stories these days are worse than game stories? Seriously....
I'd love an example of that , tell me the story that as good or better than Hollywood. I think the last of us and GTA had awesome stories but movies they were not.

Watching GTA5 via cutscenes would be fucking horrible anyway because so much development is done during the actual gameplay. This idea would only even work for a handful of very cinematic heavy games that have virtually no story development during the game.

I wouldn't mind. Like if every game I ever liked got a patch that added a menu option that basically linked to a youtube video of someone playing the entire game or whatever? That's fine, if people wanna do that it's cool with me.

LastNac

Yeah, man. How else am I supposed to argue next-gen vidyagames?

Oddly enough, I'm spending more time on my PS3 now than I was in the weeks leading up to the PS4. I just got a bunch of shooters from the last year+ that I missed :X
and I was so desperate for a new generation
What did you get for your PS4?

Pillville

Link in OP

You've never played a game again after you beat it? You've never played MP after you were done with SP?

I'd much prefer TLOU, GTA5, Portal, Assassin Creed, etc... story to just about any movie release recently (there are exceptions, of course)

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't understand why one would even buy games if they wanted an official option to skip all of the actual gameplay.

Interfectum

I'd much prefer TLOU, GTA5, Portal, Assassin Creed, etc... story to just about any movie release recently (there are exceptions, of course)

You would not prefer a disjointed stitching together of TLOU cutscenes over a movie. You are completely forgetting about the amount of time you spent playing those characters and watching them develop over the course of both the cinematic scenes and the interactive scenes. I don't think you understand what you're asking for.

animus82

Banned
Hear me out.
Take your blood pressure meds....
are you ready? .... good.

This obviously would only work with linear, story heavy games, but, I think cinematic games should have a "Watch The Rest Of The Story" option.

I have a huge list of games where I didn't like the game play, but still want to see the rest of the story.

Developers spend TONS of money and time creating these games, often more than it costs to make a movie. Yet, a majority of owners never see the entire product. According to a CNN report, only 10% of people actually finish games they start.

If this option existed, I would do it right now for:
Assassin's Creed III
Tomb Raider
Batman: Arkham Origins
Metro: Last Light
Dante's Inferno

Why not watch it on Youtube then? My friend does this.

Pillville

You would not prefer a disjointed stitching together of TLOU cutscenes over a movie. You are completely forgetting about the amount of time you spent playing those characters and watching them develop over the course of both the cinematic scenes and the interactive scenes. I don't think you understand what you're asking for.

I do understand what I'm asking for, and I also understand it would only work for a specific type of game.

They were able to do it with the Futurama game, they turned the entire game into an extra episode for the DVDs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS-avRCA72o

Pillville

Why not watch it on Youtube then? My friend does this.

I did do it for ACIII. But it would have been easier and much better quality to have the game itself show me and be able to start from right where I was in the game.

but, I also see why the hard core gaming community here sees it as blasphemy.

LakeEarth

I never got that feeling at all, then again I played all three and compared from within the series.

Now when you say cutscene you mean them as they actually are? 100% passive, right?
I mean, any time control is taken away from the player. I guess I should've said "cinematic moment". Example:

I'm running up a staircase in a burning building. I go up for 10 seconds, then my foot falls into the wood. As Drake struggles to get it out, I'm no longer in control until he finally gets it out (10 seconds). I run for another 3 seconds where the staircase starts to collapse, and Drake loses his footing. Again, I have to wait 8-10 seconds for me, the player, to regain control. Before I reach my goal, control is taken away from me 2-3 more times. I just got sick of it.

Cutscene -> play for 5-10 seconds -> Cutscene is one of my biggest AAA gaming pet peeves.

Like I said, I wouldn't use this. If I give up on a game bc of gameplay it's before I'm 15 hours in, and if the story isn't worth putting up with the gameplay, the story alone also isn't worth my time.

Besides, stitched together cutscenes will still miss the character/story development points.

To each his own, just not seeing a need.

dock

I don't understand why one would even buy games if they wanted an official option to skip all of the actual gameplay.
I'd like to skip the current bit of gameplay, yes.
So many games where I've given up after hours of boredom or frustration with a chunk of game, and any game that I've lost interest in I'd love to set to auto play until it picked up again.

Is there any reason to stop playing a game because you're lost, stuck or bored?

People want to watch the cutscenes and not play the game?

Wow, that's pretty embarrassing. Game stories aren't even good in context. Taken on their own they are even worse. Read a quality book or watch a good film/television show.

LastNac

I mean, any time control is taken away from the player. I guess I should've said "cinematic moment". Example:

I'm running up a staircase in a burning building. I go up for 10 seconds, then my foot falls into the wood. As Drake struggles to get it out, I'm no longer in control until he finally gets it out (10 seconds). I run for another 3 seconds where the staircase starts to collapse, and Drake loses his footing. Again, I have to wait 8-10 seconds for me, the player, to regain control. Before I reach my goal, control is taken away from me 2-3 more times. I just got sick of it.

Cutscene -> play for 5-10 seconds -> Cutscene is one of my biggest AAA gaming pet peeves.

Scripted animations aren't cutscenes though. I wouldn't consider Drake throwing a guy a gun then punching him after he catches it during combat an egregious example of "the game stealing away control." Its just an animation. Drake getting stuck in a stairwell and having to shoot while Sully helps him is certainly not a cutscene.

Pillville

Watching GTA5 via cutscenes would be fucking horrible anyway because so much development is done during the actual gameplay. This idea would only even work for a handful of very cinematic heavy games that have virtually no story development during the game.

Ironically, GTA5 is a game where there's a button to skip the game play sections and get to the cut scenes.

Agreed.

And, you should be able to skip any sequence in the game you don't want to play. Don't want to do the puzzle in Uncharted, or the silly zero-gravity sequence in Killzone? Skip it.

Most people don't finish the games they buy with their hard earned, let them see it through this way if they want.

FranXico

Hear me out.
Take your blood pressure meds....
are you ready? .... good.

This obviously would only work with linear, story heavy games, but, I think cinematic games should have a "Watch The Rest Of The Story" option.

I have a huge list of games where I didn't like the game play, but still want to see the rest of the story.

Developers spend TONS of money and time creating these games, often more than it costs to make a movie. Yet, a majority of owners never see the entire product. According to a CNN report, only 10% of people actually finish games they start.

If this option existed, I would do it right now for:
Assassin's Creed III
Tomb Raider
Batman: Arkham Origins
Metro: Last Light
Dante's Inferno

No. Just no.
Plenty of games have the option to watch the cinematics after finishing the story.
If you are tired of playing the game long before finishing it, then it just didn't do it for you.

LastNac

Agreed.

And, you should be able to skip any sequence in the game you don't want to play. Don't want to do the puzzle in Uncharted, or the silly zero-gravity sequence in Killzone? Skip it.

Most people don't finish the games they buy with their hard earned, let them see it through this way if they want.
By that logic then lets just buy it in bits. Only want set piece moments? $9.99!

Shooting gallery sections? $14.99
Etc.

I've never wanted to see the end of a story of a game I got tired of playing. But I guess there's no harm on putting in the option.

Coconut

Banned
If this is an answer to some kind of problem maybe some people in the games industry should be making B and C grade CG movies instead of video games.

Opiate

They're very poor stories by the standards of mediums whose entire purpose is to tell stories. It's why I personally don't like most "cinematic games:" their stories are usually bad by film or novel standards, their mechanics are uninventive by game standards.

That doesn't mean you can't like this sort of hybrid approach, mind you. I'm just explaining why I don't.

Metroid Other M had a mode just like this. You had to beat the game first though...then there is the fact it is Metroid Other M (a game many people would prefer to skip the story part of).

UK comedian Dara O'Briain likened videogames to reading a book, and then getting a quiz at the end of the chapter, and if you don't pass you have to go back and re-read the chapter.
I remember Another Code (aka Trace Memory) on DS did this. There was a minor penalty for getting the questions wrong.

Top Bottom