• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinematic Games Should Be Watchable (without playing)

theJohann

I actually support this idea. I can think of many instances where I wanted to get the gameplay over with just to further the story. An example would be Spec Ops: The Line; I was compelled to see how the story would turn out, but the actual shooting mechanics made much of the gameplay a slog. I understand that shooting is an integral part of the game's commentary, and that a degree of interaction is needed for the game to be impactful, but I think I got the message a lot earlier on. As the OP has said, this is mostly for those who have sufficiently played the game to the point where further gameplay would be arbitrary, and even frustrating.

I can also see this being useful for reviewers or anyone interested in dissecting solely a game's plot; instead of having to turn on Easy mode and rush through the gameplay segments to piece the plot together, they will be able to concentrate on analysing the storyline and its cohesiveness, among other things.

Of course, it's rather tragic that we can so effortlessly separate the "plot" segments and "gameplay" segments in a medium that supposedly focuses on interactive storytelling, but this idea is best suited for the current trend of games that cannot seem to properly merge the two.

By that logic then lets just buy it in bits. Only want set piece moments? $9.99!

Shooting gallery sections? $14.99
Etc.

Not at all. Play the game, skip the bits you don't want to do.

We already have this sort of thing in open world games where you have a billion side missions that you don't have to complete to see the story. Also, Nintendo did the super play mode which played the level for you if you got stuck. A brilliant idea.

Mael

Metroid Other M had a mode just like this. You had to beat the game first though...then there is the fact it is Metroid Other M (a game many people would prefer to skip the story part of).

The fun part is that the cinematic part is actually the more competent part of the package.
I know that's saying a lot about Other M.

Derrick01

Banned
Was it that much different in the recent game? I watched a video and it looked very samey but I only glanced. Did they change it up at all?

They didn't really add a whole lot, just a new gadget and a new enemy type (which is pretty fun to fight though). The main thing they did was speed up the aggressiveness of enemies and their attacks. They pretty much attack you instantly right after you counter someone else. It takes some time getting used to it, you have to use positioning more often than you did in AA and AC.

having to watch the mediocre stories by film school rejects while playing is bad enough. But options are nice, they should include this, i'm all for it. But have an option to remove the story too.

abtom

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but video game stories still aren't good enough for me to spend $60 and just "watch" them. Some godawful stories such as that of MGR: Revengeance can be masked by exceptional gameplay. It's the element of interactivity and choice that makes games so special for me. Otherwise, *most* of them would be crappy B-films.

"Cinematic" games have much, much worse stories than any other storytelling format due to their need for gameplay sequences. It destroys the pacing.

You could solve this by reducing the amount of encounters and traditional gameplay scenarios, but I dont think anyone outside of enthusiasts would want to play a game that lacking in what the majority would be accustomed to in terms of gameplay. You can see pushback here when it comes to telltale's titles, which reign in traditional gameplay to improve the narrative respectively.

You can also mask this by making the story an action movie to justify the amount of gameplay present. This is what 99% of the industry does.

Hypron

Don't know why you would do that with Batman and miss out on that fun combat system. Also don't know why you would rather watch D-tier game stories instead of playing them. Why not just watch a bad movie on the Syfy channel?

This. And on top of that the game is pretty short if you don't do any side missions.

The Hermit

UK comedian Dara O'Briain likened videogames to reading a book, and then getting a quiz at the end of the chapter, and if you don't pass you have to go back and re-read the chapter.

For someone playing a game merely for the story, and without an option to change the difficulty halfway through, it's ludicrous that they have to redo gameplay mechanics they may not be into in order to see how it all ends.

Not everyone is a stubborn player who grew up with punitive NES death mechanics. It should absolutely be an option.

That's pretty much how I've felt with bioshock infinite, but the quiz having nothing to do with the plot.

It should totally be an option.

Astery

I actually support this idea. I can think of many instances where I wanted to get the gameplay over with just to further the story. An example would be Spec Ops: The Line; I was compelled to see how the story would turn out, but the actual shooting mechanics made much of the gameplay a slog. I understand that shooting is an integral part of the game's commentary, and that a degree of interaction is needed for the game to be impactful, but I think I got the message a lot earlier on. As the OP has said, this is mostly for those who have sufficiently played the game to the point where further gameplay would be arbitrary, and even frustrating.

I can also see this being useful for reviewers or anyone interested in dissecting solely a game's plot; instead of having to turn on Easy mode and rush through the gameplay segments to piece the plot together, they will be able to concentrate on analysing the storyline and its cohesiveness, among other things.

Of course, it's rather tragic that we can so effortlessly separate the "plot" segments and "gameplay" segments in a medium that supposedly focuses on interactive storytelling, but this idea is best suited for the current trend of games that cannot seem to properly merge the two.

In your example of spec ops: the line, the better and obvious solution is to make the gameplay better, hence a better game IMO, not make an option to skip the gameplay.

ohlawd

yeah I'd like that too actually. Video game stories aren't specially good but I like watching bad stories unfold. Tales of games are a great example.

Neff

UK comedian Dara O'Briain likened videogames to reading a book, and then getting a quiz at the end of the chapter, and if you don't pass you have to go back and re-read the chapter.

For someone playing a game merely for the story, and without an option to change the difficulty halfway through, it's ludicrous that they have to redo gameplay mechanics they may not be into in order to see how it all ends.

Not everyone is a stubborn player who grew up with punitive NES death mechanics. It should absolutely be an option.

I remember him saying that, and while it was a good joke, the philosphy of story being the reward and gameplay being the chore to reach it is quickly becoming a standard and one that will hurt the industry in the long run.

Some Nobody

ITT: People take cinematics way too seriously. I've never counted the "number of seconds I don't have control of my character". More people should play Nintendo games.

Top Bottom