• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circumcision doubles autism risk, study claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of a confirmed medical issue, or purely (your) asthetic reasons?
Because it's a medically unnecessary abnormality.

Fair enough. Out of interest, why is your son not given the option of that same choice at 16?
Because the foreskin is a detriment to his health, it no longer has a purpose to exist, and it involves a more complex cleaning procedure. That, and if I were to wait, I'd have to pay for it. I suppose he could wait until he's 8 or something, but I'd only do that if my wife had a problem with it.

Aren't the risks of surgery complications higher than a simple 10 second wash of the genitals? And I'm really not sure the primary purpose of the foreskin is to keep parts warm...
What are the rates of "complications" with circumcision? I'd imagine that as long as you go to a good hospital, the rate is pretty low. And If the foreskin does not exist to protect the penis from bugs and germs external to the body (no longer a problem because we wear clothes), why does it exist? That's why pubic hair exists.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Meh, at least the ramifications of following this study, if the study is proven "wrong", is neutral at worst and positive at best.

Fritz

2) No, I'm saying its not worth the extra effort to wash a foreskin when there's not really a point in it existing anymore. It's just alot less complicated. Humans had foreskins to cover the penis when we wore little to no clothes. That is no longer the case.

"extra effort"?!

"a lot less complicated"?!

LOL! What shit do they teach you about foreskins where you come from?

It's less complicated than washing your fucking feet. If you need to know, I'd put washing your foreskin in the same "difficulty" and "effort" range as washing your index finger.

Fucking ridiculous.

Wouldn't this apply to any painful injury, like hitting your head on a table, sitting on a tack, teething, before the age of 5?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wouldn't this apply to any painful injury, like hitting your head on a table, sitting on a tack, teething, before the age of 5?

This was the exact question I had. It makes absolutely no sense.

Because it's a medically unnecessary abnormality.

Because the foreskin is a detriment to his health, it no longer has a purpose to exist, and it involves a more complex cleaning procedure. That, and if I were to wait, I'd have to pay for it. I suppose he could wait until he's 8 or something, but I'd only do that if my wife had a problem with it.

What are the rates of "complications" with circumcision? I'd imagine that as long as you go to a good hospital, the rate is pretty low. And If the foreskin does not exist to protect the penis from bugs and germs external to the body (no longer a problem because we wear clothes), why does it exist? That's why pubic hair exists.

What is so much more "complex" about cleaning a penis with foreskin? I'm honestly pretty astounded to hear my penis is more complex to clean. The process has always been pretty simple for me.

I'm cut, but some of you people need to understand that cleaning the penis is not complicated cut or uncut. All you do is retract the skin and clean underneath.Don't use bar soap because it can dry the skin and cause irritation. Oh and to the guy who is saying that we don't need the foreskin because we have clothes, if that was the case, we wouldn't have evolved with it.

Circumcision group:

Evidence that circumcision may have some very minor positive medical consequences --> "circumcission, fuck yeah! even scientists agree."

Evidence that circumcission may have some negative medical consequences --->
"these scientists must be wrong. circumcission fuck yeah!"

Can't really understand the circumcission hype in the USA. it's an unneeded procedure if you have access to water.
just let your kids decide when they are old enough. how fucking hard is that to understand?

What is so much more "complex" about cleaning a penis with foreskin? I'm honestly pretty astounded to hear my penis is more complex to clean. The process has always been pretty simple for me.
Don't you have to clean the interior? That would make it more complex than an uncircumcised penis.
I'm cut, but some of you people need to understand that cleaning the penis is not complicated cut or uncut. All you do is retract the skin and run some warm water on yourself. Don't use soap because it can dry and irritate the skin.
Yeah, see that would make it more complicated. I don't want to have to worry about "irritants" getting in between my son's foreskin and his dick. The foreskin no-longer has a purpose to exist, statistically, its a medical detriment, and people tend not to like the way it looks. That's really all the justification I need.

pswii60

If you're circumcised under general anaesthetic, then you won't feel the pain and surely that would lower the risk? I say this as someone who had the op done at age of 3 due to medical reasons, under GA. Can't imagine the pain of having it done without.

Regardless, is there a high rate of autism amongst Jews? That would be interesting to know.

Anyway, the thing that annoys me the most about the anti-circ cult is they spare no thought for people like me who absolutely had to have the procedure done for medical reasons. When they bang on and on about loss of pleasure and how the sex is worse for women, it's no different to telling someone who's lost their legs how they can't walk anymore and going on and on about it. Stop fucking reminding me you grotesque cult, routine circumcision is bad but spare a thought for the victims before you preach.

MiszMasz

Don't you have to clean the interior? That would make it more complex than an uncircumcised penis.

Yeah, see that would make it more complicated. I don't want to have to worry about "irritants" getting in between my son's foreskin and his dick. The foreskin no-longer has a purpose to exist, statistically, its a medical detriment, and people tend not to like the way it looks. That's really all the justification I need.

You talk as if foreskins are long, loose and unwieldy enough to require tucking into your socks. Also, buy better soap and consider using water when you wash.

The foreskin..no longer has purpose to exist.

Don't be a scientist.

People don't like the way it looks IN THE USA because circumcision is so common here, so of course it will look weird to them. But the majority of world is uncut so seeing a cut penis would be strange to them. See how that works? And about the irritants. How old is your son? If he is still little that shouldnt be much of an issue because the foreskin is attatched to the glans up until age 12 or 13 when they hit puberty. Just teach him to clean and he'll be fine.

Let's be honest my fellow circumcised brethren. The only reason we try to argue pro-circumcision is because we are circumcised and it's an ego thing. Logically and rationally it's a stupid thing.

I'm Turkish and it's so intertwined with our culture that even Turkish boys from non-religious families are circumcised as well (this is the same with Jews as well I believe?). In our culture it's done around the age of 7-10, and there's a party to go with it.

Mine was done in a hospital with a painkiller injected so it didn't hurt all. And my Dad bought me like 20-30 Pokemon card booster packs.

Washing your penis if you have foreskin is as easy as lifting your arm to scrub that man bacteria from your pits.

Circumcision is unpopular and uncommon in most of Europe, around 10% of the male population between 0-18 are circumcised in Germany. Nobody has issues with their penises.

Any ways the argument is actually really silly, always has been. Only thing I don't like about circumcision is the consent issue.

You talk as if foreskins are long, loose and unwieldy enough to require tucking into your socks. Also, buy better soap and consider using water when you wash.
One of the great things about being a male, circumcised or uncircumcised, is that maintenance of our genitalia is alot less complicated than women's. Anything that can lessen that complication even further is something I appreciate. The only thing that gives me pause about circumcision is that the actual dick looks alot better when you're uncircumcised.
People don't like the way it looks IN THE USA because circumcision is so common here, so of course it will look weird to them.
And guess where I live? The USA!

pswii60

Washing your penis if you have foreskin is as easy as lifting your arm to scrub that man bacteria from your pits.

Circumcision is unpopular and uncommon in most of Europe, around 10% of the male population between 0-18 are circumcised. Nobody has issues with their penises.
'Nobody has issues with their penises'? 'Nobody' here in Europe? I had to be circumcised at age 3 due to hypospadias, I've had three friends with phimosis and another two who slit their frenulums during sex and had to have them operated on. None of this means there's a cause for routine circumcision but it discounts your use of the word 'nobody'.

After recently getting a yeast infection from soap, I wish I was circumcised.
'Nobody has issues with their penises'? 'Nobody' here in Europe? I had to be circumcised at age 3 due to hypospadias, I've had three friends with phimosis and another two who slit their frenulums during sex and had to have them operated on. None of this means there's a cause for routine circumcision but it discounts your use of the word 'nobody'.

RG0BS1U.gif

One of the great things about being a male, circumcised or uncircumcised, is that maintenance of our genitalia is alot less complicated than women's. Anything that can lessen that complication even further is something I appreciate. The only thing that gives me pause about circumcision is that the actual dick looks alot better when you're uncircumcised.

And guess where I live? The USA!
And only in the USA do we think that the natural penis looks weird!

I'm not talking medically. Obviously medically is a different story, I'm talking culture-related. As another poster who is Turkish said, it's very common in Turkish culture. But Germany for example? Around only 10% of the male population 0-18 which will most consist of religion related such as Jewish and Muslim I believe as well as medical. Rest of Europe is the same varying +- 5% from that. Prevalence of circumcision is mostly related to culture/religion more so than medically and those who are uncut in places where it's wildly unpopular have no problem with cleaning their penises. Some people think that being uncut is unhygienic but majority of the population copes fine because it's a non-issue in cleaning.

See above.

Well, now that I'm more informed on the subject, I'm even more thankful I'm circumcised. I don't want nooo parts of having a yeast infection in my dick, or having my dick start bleeding during sex. Yall can have that.

You're acting as if everyone with a foreskin has yeast infections.

[Caveat: I have no opinion on circumcision status. Not my area of clinical expertise. However I can scan a statistical paper and am here to argue about its methodology]

The paper is freely available online for anyone to read. I have yet to see any convincing argument in this thread as to why the methodology of this paper is flawed. This comes the closest:
if you actually read the study, they have a laughably small number of children who are circumcised

in otherwise, bullshit study

you get skewed results due to the sheer miniscule portion of these "300,000" kids who are actually circumcised.

also most of their results are not significant
To which I reply to GiJoccin, if you read line 5 of page 8 in the paper you'll discover that over 3300 boys who underwent circumcision were included for this study. Although this represents a small proportion, no researcher in the world is going to call a 3300 sample size a "laughably small number." The main argument of the paper comes from Table 2, 0-4 age group. The hazard ratio in the non-Muslim comparison is 4.23 with a 95% CI of 1.90-9.44. That is statistically significant. The Muslim comparison was also significant but less so.

The cases are rare, I'm not arguing that. But if you know basic biostatistics that's also the main reason why case-control studies are done in the first place.

You should also realize that the researchers also performed regression analysis on all the pertinent confounding factors as listed in Table 1 and still found statistical significance. They did their homework.

My personal criticisms? No fucking p-values within the tables. I have to read every confidence interval and see if it crosses the value 1. That's bullshit. Moreover, the authors do not state whether their p-values stem from one-tail or two-tailed analysis. Finally, one author has disclosed a conflict of interest. Edit: Probably what I believe is the weakest part of the study: I'm willing to bet that the 0-4 age group versus 5-9 age group was a post-hoc analysis because they never mention in their background/introduction section nor in their discussion section about what's so magical about the 4th year of life that decreases the association of autism with circumcision. Unless I missed it, they do not make this designation a priori. The authors also include 2-4 year-olds as "infants," which is not what most pediatricians would call them.

Just because a study is peer review doesn't make you couldn't play around with figures to get the result you were looking for.

Just like all those 'peer reviewed' studies that prove vaccines cause Autism.
You mean the Andrew Wakefield paper? The paper with a sample size of 12?

There is a heck of a lot wrong with a study unless there is much more than the newspaper is letting on.
Elaborate. What was wrong with their methodology?

I'm not arguing that circumcision causes autism. But the fact that researchers found a statistical significance after controlling for confounding variables should make others ask why and everyone here is just spouting their personal biases without even looking at the methodology. I'm not sure why these types of threads are even allowed if no one can even freaking read the paper.

See above.

Well, now that I'm more informed on the subject, I'm even more thankful I'm circumcised. I don't want nooo parts of having a yeast infection in my dick, or having my dick start bleeding during sex. Yall can have that.
Im circumcised myself. And you can get a yeast infection if you are cut. My dad got one once. The dick bleeding thing is also pretty uncommon. That is usually caused by something called phimosis, or a tight foreskin. Also rare and can be fixed by light stretching ofthe foreskin.

Frodo

See above.

You are not more informed. You are simply using anecdotal evidence to support what you already believe. But let's go, according to NHS, this is a small list of complications related to circumcision procedures:

As with all types of surgery, circumcision has some risks. However, complications from circumcisions carried out for medical reasons are rare in England.

Bleeding and infection are the most common problems associated with circumcision.

Other complications can include:
  • a decrease in sensation in the penis, particularly during sex
  • damage to the tube that carries urine inside the penis (urethra), causing it to narrow and making it hard to pass urine
  • removal of too much of the foreskin
  • accidental amputation of the head of the penis, which is very rare
  • a blood infection or blood poisoning (septicaemia)

But arguing about it seems to be pointless.

Lamel

Banned
Interesting stat. Would like to see further research.

Also lol at circumsed guys getting offended by this study and denouncing science. If you truly read it, the study isn't claiming something THAT drastic.

You don't get autism. It is something your born with. it's a neurological disorder. More often boys are diagnosed with ASD than girls.

Disorder that relates to the development of neural system. A child is still developing. There was a case where some kid was given antibiotics and the symptoms of autism disappeared for the duration of the treatment. It's been suggested that certain defects in the microbiota of the gut may cause autism for some. Some pathogenic bacteria that produce neurotoxins have a better chance of colonising a gut that doesn't have a normal flora to complete against. Who knows, maybe circumcision affects the development of that normal flora.

Oscar

See above.

I'm 24, uncircumcised, have been sexually active since I was 13. Never had a yeast infection, never had blood on my dick unless it was the girls' blood.

Your crusade against foreskin in this thread is ridiculous. Isn't the rest of the WORLD outside of the US pro-foreskin? I understand that some people had no choice in the matter because they were newborns, but that doesn't give you the right to become a brainwashed anti-foreskin preacher.

iceatcs

See above.

You can get a yeast infection even if you cut. So wash your cut penis please.

You are not more informed. You are simply using anecdotal evidence to support what you already believe. But let's go, according to NHS, this is a small list of complications related to circumcision procedures:

But arguing about it seems to be pointless.
A list of rare possible one-time complications is worth enduring to eliminate a lifetime of risk.
You can get a yeast infection even if you cut.
I'd imagine its less likely because you don't have skin that's able to incubate the yeast.

spekkeh

Banned
This is really quite a general question, but how do most scientists ascertain causation? It sounds like quite a philosophical question, but I'm sure they have some methodology for determining if a relationship is causal or merely correlative. I have not looked into this yet, unfortunately, but a brief skim through Wikipedia suggests that there are different approaches depending on the field of study.

I suppose that removing as many confounding factors as possible is one method. I've also heard of the use of directed acyclic graphs in relation to causality, but I'm not really sure how they are applied.

It will always remain philosophically shaky (due to the problem of induction), but general guideline is that controlled experiments in lab settings determine causation, whereas field studies can only garner correlation. Then you also have longitudinal field studies like these that try to control for variables over time, which are sort of grey area in between, depending on your own scientific standards.

2) No, I'm saying its not worth the extra effort to wash a foreskin when there's not really a point in it existing anymore. It's just alot less complicated. Humans had foreskins to cover the penis when we wore little to no clothes. That is no longer the case.

hmm. you do know that it can feel great to have a foreskin? with the nerve endings and all. and not having to ever use lube, can save some money as well.

i'd honestly rather have a finger chopped off than my foreskin which feels like an essential part of my genitalia. maybe it's just me though, what do i know, maybe others don't have nerve endings in their foreskin or maybe for some having no foreskin feels even better. it's probably possible.

anyone experienced both..?

Huff

Banned
I'll dig in later if I have more time, but in general, retrospective stuff is all just hypothesis generating anyway

I'll dig in later if I have more time, but in general, retrospective stuff is all just hypothesis generating anyway
Just FYI, almost everything regarding anything about circumcision is retrospective. Edit: in the Western population. Apparently there's some prospective safety studies in African men.

iceatcs

A list of rare possible one-time complications is worth enduring to eliminate a lifetime of risk.

I'd imagine its less likely because you don't have skin that's able to incubate the yeast.

I think bigger unhygienic penis more likely get an infection, because more dick's surface rub hard by firmed skin inside the yeast infected deep vagina.

hmm. you do know that it can feel great to have a foreskin? with the nerve endings and all. and not having to ever use lube, can save some money as well.

i'd honestly rather have a finger chopped off than my foreskin which feels like an essential part of my genitalia. maybe it's just me though, what do i know, maybe others don't have nerve endings in their foreskin or maybe for some having no foreskin feels even better. it's probably possible.

anyone experienced both..?
They say sex supposedly feels better with a foreskin.
I think bigger unhygienic penis more likely get an infective, because more dick's surface inside the yeast infected vagina.
The poster here said he got if from soap. In your example, the solution is to simply not fuck with unclean pussy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom