• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circumcision doubles autism risk, study claims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keasar

True or not, still pretty satisfied in being born in part of the world where chopping at baby penises is considered idiotic.

I have never understood why people in a modern society still do it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Lol really? I don't know how the researchers came up with this conclusion.

Presumably by coming up with a hypothesis, devising a double blind test using a stratified sampling over 340,000 male children, conducting a comparative with the control group, testing for significance, and publishing a conclusion to a peer review journal.

Why, how did you reach yours?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is stupid. How does this explain women having autism?

... it's not saying circumcision is the sole responsible factor for autism, it just makes circumcised people more likely to develop autism.

Popstar

There's a band that gets put around the foreskin to be removed. The foreskin loses circulation and falls off.
Eh?

The foreskin isn't loose in infants. Its attached to the glans with tissue similar to the way fingernails are attached. They have to tear it off before they cut.

I get the impression many people for or against don't actually have a good idea how the procedure is actually done.

GiJoccin

if you actually read the study, they have a laughably small number of children who are circumcised

in otherwise, bullshit study

you get skewed results due to the sheer miniscule portion of these "300,000" kids who are actually circumcised.

also most of their results are not significant

Keasar

Do you want to know the benefits or is your mind made up?

For your health.

Healthwise? It does not prevent STDs in any beneficial way (wear a condom instead), it does not improve resistance to infections more than regular washing does. It does not make you healthier day to day, make your penis cleaner or make a god look at you a little more positive.

In sex it serves no purpose to circumcise since the foreskin provides natural lubricant, makes sure your penis isn't desensitized, contains a ton of nerve endings that help stimulation and if your girl/boy-friend find it hard to look at, pull on it a little extra hard back and the difference is barely noticeable.

So far, the benefit is aesthetic and "morals", but as I mentioned above, the same look can be achieved and how is it moral when an adult decides what do to with a baby who is not yet developed in mind to make a decision on its own?

Sanjuro

Healthwise? It does not prevent STDs in any beneficial way (wear a condom instead), it does not improve resistance to infections more than regular washing does. It does not make you healthier day to day, make your penis cleaner or make a god look at you a little more positive.

In sex it serves no purpose to circumcise since the foreskin provides natural lubricant, makes sure your penis isn't desensitized, contains a ton of nerve endings that help stimulation and if your girl/boy-friend find it hard to look at, pull on it a little extra hard back and the difference is barely noticeable.

So far, the benefit is aesthetic and "morals", but as I mentioned above, the same look can be achieved and how is it moral when an adult decides what do to with a baby who is not yet developed in mind to make a decision on its own?

I'm from Sweden, country part of Scandinavia with actual health research, signing off.

ibxMJVuYozOFQW.gif

Az987

all good things
Circumcisions are done so that the make up industry can put baby penis in their wrinkle cream. It's all a giant conspiracy.

Make-up companies pay hospitals big bucks for buckets of foreskins.

All of you who have had circumsions should face the fact that some old lady probably rubbed bits of you're foreskin all over her face.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
More interesting than this study is going to be seeing people who would normally easily and quickly find fault in this sort of study give it additional value because of their feelings towards circumcision.

Quite a few studies have come out to show that there are a handful of different medical benefits. Are you saying you know otherwise?

Fushin

Eh?

The foreskin isn't loose in infants. Its attached to the glans with tissue similar to the way fingernails are attached. They have to tear it off before they cut.

I get the impression many people for or against don't actually have a good idea how the procedure is actually done.

I would have a pretty good idea about the band around the foreskin, had it done to me when I was a newborn. My penis is still in pretty good working order.

Lol what. Until they show some irrefutable evidence of this supposed fact, my kids' getting circumcised just because the foreskin looks nasty, in addition to the improved health, and the fact they don't have to wash it.

Volimar

Lol what. Until they show some irrefutable evidence of this supposed fact, my kids' getting circumcised just because the foreskin looks nasty, in addition to the improved health, and the fact they don't have to wash it.

They should probably still wash it though.

Popstar

I would have a pretty good idea about the band around the foreskin, had it done to me when I was a newborn. My penis is still in pretty good working order.
In your case they didn't have to tear it away before cutting. They instead had to tear it away before placing the band on.

Flo_Evans

Hmm I'm against circumcision but this seems strange. I could believe the early childhood trama being a trigger, but that would only point out less traumatic procedures should be used, not that circumcision itself is the cause.

I still shake my head that GAF has a circumcision defense force...

Uncircumcised GAF Defense Force is assembling. Gross.

Huh, GAF really can be an especially weird place when it comes to these debates around circumcision.

my kids' getting circumcised just because the foreskin looks nasty, in addition to the improved health, and the fact they don't have to wash it.

I would hope you teach your hypothetical child to wash his penis (and overall good hygiene) regardless of circumcision. That, along with the look factor that you mentioned, always strikes me as one of the oddest rationalizations for the practice.

Keasar

Quite a few studies have come out to show that there are a handful of different medical benefits. Are you saying you know otherwise?

I do not deny the claims that it has a maybe a few medical benefits, the keyword is few, like the mentioned infection protection maybe being marginally better but as mentioned, wash your dick once in a while and you will be fine.

I see the disadvantages of the practice heavily outweighs the benefits, which is why my country do not practice it, doctors always advices against it and it is by law only done in controlled situations by medical personnel and with heavy painkillers for the child during the few times it is actually done, pretty much only by the jewish and muslim population due to religious reasons.

my kids' getting circumcised just because the foreskin looks nasty

I also forgot to mention to the earlier argument that it is common in Sweden to also consider it very weird that a parent decides what looks good on their childs genitalia.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Lol really? I don't know how the researchers came up with this conclusion.
Well, the headline is misleading as no conclusion has been reached. A correlation was identified and speculation was given as to why the correlation is there, but further study is required.

jimbor

Banned
I think all circumcision studies should have the scientists declare their cut/uncut status, it's the only way to be sure.

As a general rule, fuck male genital mutilation of minors.

Two questions

1) What if your kid has a particularly ugly nose? Or a sixth toe? Maybe your daughter might have a large amount of excess skin around her genitals. Still going to be paying someone to chop those ugly bits off?

2) As an circumcised male, are you saying you don't wash your penis daily?

Popstar

That... shouldn't a lot more Americans have autism, then?
This isn't the first study to find a correlation.

Prenatal and perinatal analgesic exposure and autism: an ecological link.
RESULTS:
Using all available country-level data (n = 8) for the period 1984 to 2005, prenatal use of paracetamol was correlated with autism/ASD prevalence (r = 0.80). For studies including boys born after 1995, there was a strong correlation between country-level (n = 9) autism/ASD prevalence in males and a country's circumcision rate (r = 0.98). A very similar pattern was seen among U.S. states and when comparing the 3 main racial/ethnic groups in the U.S. The country-level correlation between autism/ASD prevalence in males and paracetamol was considerably weaker before 1995 when the drug became widely used during circumcision.

"We've seen animal studies of how painful injury can lead to life long mental affects so how about circumcision"?

Starting with circumcision over trying to connect childhood injury in general to autism just seems bizarre going by their inspiration of research.

Two questions

1) What if your kid has a particularly ugly nose? Or a sixth toe? Maybe your daughter might have a large amount of excess skin around her genitals. Still going to be paying someone to chop those ugly bits off?

2) As an circumcised male, are you saying you don't wash your penis daily?
1) Facial stuff you have to wait till adulthood to determine whether it will be ugly or not (faces change shape). Looking at the GAF celebrity plastic surgery thread, I'd be very wary of any changes to my child's face. That sixth toe is coming off though. If my daughter wants the excess skin around her vagina removed, she can wait till she's 16 and we'll get it done then if her mother agrees too.

2) No, I'm saying its not worth the extra effort to wash a foreskin when there's not really a point in it existing anymore. It's just alot less complicated. Humans had foreskins to cover the penis when we wore little to no clothes. That is no longer the case.

Frodo

my kids' getting circumcised just because the foreskin looks nasty

If my parents had circumcised me and the explanation they gave me was that, I would never talk to them again. Seriously. Not to mention that the circumcision can go wrong and the penis might end up looking worse than it ever would with a foreskin. Some scars on circumcised penises are horrible. It is ridiculously silly to circumcise a kid just because YOU think a cut penis looks better. Opinions and all that.

Also, let's go through a completely unnecessary surgical procedure (in the vast majority of cases) so I won't be bothered to tell my kid how to wash his willy. That's the way to do it. Because waiting for the kid to grow up to decide for themselves is just too hard. Aaaaand, as it has already been pointed, having good hygiene and using a condom (which you should be using anyway) will have similar effect on preventing everything that the circumcision prevents without creating more risks.

Full disclosure: in my opinion, with rare exceptions, uncuts looks way better than cuts (specially considering the fact that if you retract the foreskin both look almost exactly the same). But all penises are beautiful. Not to mention it is more fun to play with a uncut.

If my parents had circumcised me and the explanation they gave me was that, I would never talk to them again. Seriously. Not to mention that the circumcision can go wrong and the penis might end up looking worse than it ever would with a foreskin. Some scars on circumcised penises are horrible. It is ridiculously silly to circumcise a kid just because YOU think a cut penis looks better. Opinions and all that.
OK. It also has health benefits because you don't have a sheath incubating germs in that area all day. It's actually the foreskin that's unnecessary, because we wear clothes now.

Popstar

"We've seen animal studies of how painful injury can lead to life long mental affects so how about circumcision"?

Starting with circumcision over trying to connect childhood injury in general to autism just seems bizarre going by their inspiration of research.
There have been previous studies showing a link, so I think that was also part of the inspiration.

That's not a correlation between circumcision and autism. That's a correlation between paracetamol and autism, and it's just another analgesic witch-hunt that people are trying to blame, like acetominophen before it.

I swear, people don't even read the full title of studies they post anymore.
Paracetamol is acetaminophen. But otherwise you're right.

1) Facial stuff you have to wait till adulthood to determine whether it will be ugly or not (faces change shape). Looking at the GAF celebrity plastic surgery thread, I'd be very wary of any changes to my child's face.

Fine.

That sixth toe is coming off though.

Because of a confirmed medical issue, or purely (your) asthetic reasons?

If my daughter wants the excess skin around her vagina removed, she can wait till she's 16 and we'll get it done then if her mother agrees too.

Fair enough. Out of interest, why is your son not given the option of that same choice at 16?

2) No, I'm saying its not worth the extra effort to wash a foreskin when there's not really a point in it existing anymore. It's just a lot less complicated. Humans had foreskins to cover the penis when we wore little to no clothes. That is no longer the case.

Aren't the risks of surgery complications higher than a simple 10 second wash of the genitals? And I'm really not sure the primary purpose of the foreskin is to keep parts warm...

The premise of the study reeks correlation. If I gather 300,000 children and find that most of the kids with autism also had enfamil for baby formula, that doesn't mean enfamil caused the autism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom