• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

City of Peterborough grants permit to Neo-Nazis for a rally Saturday in public square

Cranster

Banned
Fuck this shit!

Peterborough councillor Diane Therrien says a Neo-Nazi should never have gotten permission to hold a rally on city property at Confederation Square, on Saturday.

A group of self-proclaimed white nationalists is organizing an Anti-Trudeau/illegal immigration rally at Confederation Square on Saturday.

Kevin Goudreau, chairman of the Canadian Nationalist Front, is organizing the event.

At City Hall on Monday, Therrien said city staff gave the group permission to hold its rally in the park because it’s expected to be a peaceful protest. But she wasn’t accepting that idea.

“Staff’s position is that it’s a peaceful protest – but he (Goudreau) is not a peaceful person,” Therrien said.

Meanwhile, Therrien asked fellow councillors to support local activists who are planning counter-protests.

One of the counter-protests happens Friday from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Peterborough Square. It’s called Chalk Out Hate, and people will be invited to come and write positive messages on the sidewalks all around downtown.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ng-neo-nazis-to-hold-a-rally-in-public-square

Moppeh

Banned
What POSSIBLE excuse could they possibly have in Canada?

You can go to a lot of smaller and rural places in Canada and see that shit.

When I was growing up as a kid in northern Ontario, I just assumed it was a symbol of rural or redneck pride.

When I lived in Nunavut, I worked with a guy from New Brunswick who wore a Confederate Flag hat every single day. I got the impression that flaunting that is not uncommon in his hometown.

“Staff’s position is that it’s a peaceful protest – but he (Goudreau) is not a peaceful person,” Therrien said.

How did that worked out in Charlottesville?

While most people remember the contributions Canadian volunteers gave to the Union during the Civil War (in fact, the composer of O Canada, Calixa Lavallée, served in the Union band), some Canucks did join the Confederate side as volunteers.

Alternatively (and more likely), the Traitor flag is pretty much a universal symbol in Anglo-America for redneck types and racist shitbirds.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
While most people remember the contributions Canadian volunteers gave to the Union during the Civil War (in fact, the composer of O Canada, Calixa Lavallée, served in the Union band), some Canucks did join the Confederate side as volunteers.

Alternatively (and more likely), the Traitor flag is pretty much a universal symbol in Anglo-America for redneck types and racist shitbirds.

This is all it boils down to really.

Confederation square? Is that dedicated to some event in history of Canada or to Confederate States of America ?

It's a memorial to when Canada "confederated" (became the country it is today sans Newfoundland) in 1867, it has nothing to do with the Anerican Civil War.

Jeez, I sometimes forget how many racists are so close to home. I'm like an hour away from there. Shame that there are so many uncultured creeps living there. There are so many great people I know from that city too, and I'd hate to be associated with neo-nazis

Confederation square? Is that dedicated to some event in history of Canada or to Confederate States of America ?

Just racist edglords trying to be me-to's to their racist american counterparts

Goddamn it I'm at a wedding this weekend. I want to crash this so bad. This kind of stupidity has no place anywhere.
I wanna crash this too as well just to video tape all the stupidity to catch anything dumb they do/say and report it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

There are many "back off government" signs on land. So it might tie into "freedom vs. government" stuff. I also think it's just associated with redneck culture, country culture, hunting, dukes' of hazard type stuff. Edit. I should have said that many of the confederate flag people are racist. That I know.

If I saw a confederate flag around these parts I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that the person is a racist. My neighbour across the street is really into hunting and stuff, a real redneck, but lives across and beside 2 black families and an indian family. That guy has done a lot for these families, especially after a serious tragedy struck one of them. I know that's going down "but my friend is black!" territory, but I really don't think he's racist.

RinsFury

Hearing more and more about this stuff in Canada. Scary. Is there a Trump equivalent for white supremacists to vote for in the next election?

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Hearing more and more about this stuff in Canada. Scary. Is there a Trump equivalent for white supremacists to vote for in the next election?

We don't directly elect the prime minister in Canada. We vote for MP's in different ridings and whichever party has the most ridings, gets to govern. The leader of the winning party gets to be prime minister. The conservsative leader is just another Stephen Harper, and I doubt there is anyone who would label him a white supremacist.

RinsFury

We don't directly elect the prime minister in Canada. We vote for MP's in different ridings and whichever party has the most ridings, gets to govern. The leader of the winning party gets to be prime minister. The conservsative leader is just another Stephen Harper, and I doubt there is anyone who would label him a white supremacist.

Well that's something, at least. I remember reading troubling things about some conservative politicians, such as Kelly Leitch. I'll be keeping a close eye on the 2019 election for sure.

mlclmtckr

Banned

That being said there will definitely be racist candidates running as independents in some ridings. Not that any of them will win, but it does happen.

Well that's something, at least. I remember reading troubling things about some conservative politicians, such as Kelly Leitch. I'll be keeping a close eye on the 2019 election for sure.
The good thing about it is say we had Trump here. If he went off the deep end the party wanted him out...they could get him out and still be in power.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
It's not uncommon to see confederate flags in peterborough and durham county.

Good on them for basically hanging a sign outside their door that screams "I'm just a racist with no pretense of history or any of those other dog whistles"

mlclmtckr

Banned

The thing is, with the way party politics work here, what you really need to keep an eye on is what happens right after the 2019 election.

Basically when they pick a leader, that determines the direction of the party for the next several years. So people like Kellie Lietch were rejected by Conservative voters already, when the Conservatives picked their current leader Andrew Scheer.

Scheer is a right-wing theocratic creep, for sure, but he isn't quite alt-right. He's just the same kind of mom jeans wearing supply-side psycho that the Conservatives have been selecting for decades.

But after Scheer loses, he's going to get replaced. And that will be the time for a straight up white supremacist to try and take over the party.

I lived in Peterborough for a couple years, the place is riddled with racist trash. The city and surrounding areas were beautiful, the people, not so much.

Obviously not all of them, but plenty enough.

Good.

Right to assemble doesn't stop just because the views are controversial

Are you fucking for real right now? White supremacists don't have a "controversial" view. They have a racist, ignorant, hate filled view that is destructive to modern society and specifically incites acts of violence and perpetuates hate toward people of color. Fuck these fuckers and fuck you for your enabling bullshit.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Good.

fortunately here in Canada we dispensed with childish and reductive ideas like free speech absolutism

that's more of a thing for americans who are taught as children to worship a mediocre and obsolete piece of political theory written by slaveowning oligarchs

Shaanyboi

Banned
Good.

You seriously think the suppression, if not outright elimination of minority and marginalized voices, is simply "controversial"?

My right to exist, the rights of a queer individual, the rights of any person of color; these are not up for fucking debate.

jstripes

Banned
Not surprising for Peterborough. My brother and sister moved out there, and most of the people I've met are friendly but trashy as hell.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Thought this was going to be UK peterborough and I was ready to be very ashamed of where I live
somehow this being a canada city makes it worse

Top Bottom