• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

City of Peterborough grants permit to Neo-Nazis for a rally Saturday in public square

Clov

Looks like the permit for the rally has been denied.

"While city staff had initially given permission for the rally, saying the organizer promised it would be a peaceful rally, the city did not issue a permit because the organizer did not provide the required documentation to the city in time"

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer....-kevin-goudreau-did-not-meet-citys-conditions

While I'm glad this won't be going ahead after all, I'm disappointed that the city even considered them giving them a permit in the first place. Nazi ideology has no place in Canada.

Samara

"One of the counter-protests happens Friday from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Peterborough Square."

Good. Show love. Don't get mad, don't get aggressive, just show love.

I met an old white man, early 50, at a concert last week in Toronto, trying to buy his cigarettes. We talked for a while and he seemed to enjoy my company. Then he asked the trivial questions:

"Where are you from?"
"What religion are you from?"

I lied and said I'm a Christian from India (my two friends at the concert were from India and are Christian, so I didn't want to do a dance and explain where all of us are from).

I knew where this was going.

"Can I say something to you guys? And this is something I feel very strongly about.

Fuck Moslems!"

My friends were shocked, trying to hold their laugh. I shrugged it off and indulged his conversation.

He talks about the killings, and I said "Yeah man, isn't Islam a religion of peace?"

He's all "Right on! Where's the fucking peace!? I will let 100,000 cockroaches in my country, and not one fucking immigrant!"

Funny enough, all three of us whom he was talking to are immigrants.

I just laughed it off without getting into an argument with an ignorant. At the end of the conversation, we had a few laughs, hugged it out and went our ways.

Moral here is that you cannot change someone's view; it's engraved in them and they will forever defend their feelings. However, showing love instead of hate can go a long way. So please, show love at Peterborough: the sound of love is far more amplifying than bigotry.

And this is why racist people can bring out the " I have a black friend" defense. You're not helping by saying you're one of the good ones. Actually you sound like a lot of brown/black Canadian enablers that just laugh off the racist jokes being told right in their faces.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I thought this was Peterborough New Hampshire at first

Thought this was going to be UK peterborough and I was ready to be very ashamed of where I live
somehow this being a canada city makes it worse

Man, I was really hopping it was one of those two. Fuck Nazis. Glad they aren't going to be going ahead. Disappointed that it's only because of paperwork issues.

Goddamn it I'm at a wedding this weekend. I want to crash this so bad. This kind of stupidity has no place anywhere.

Hey, I would have been up for counter protesting this too, but I also happen to be at a wedding. Is it in town?

"One of the counter-protests happens Friday from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Peterborough Square."

Good. Show love. Don't get mad, don't get aggressive, just show love.

I met an old white man, early 50, at a concert last week in Toronto, trying to buy his cigarettes. We talked for a while and he seemed to enjoy my company. Then he asked the trivial questions:

"Where are you from?"
"What religion are you from?"

I lied and said I'm a Christian from India (my two friends at the concert were from India and are Christian, so I didn't want to do a dance and explain where all of us are from).

I knew where this was going.

"Can I say something to you guys? And this is something I feel very strongly about.

Fuck Moslems!"

My friends were shocked, trying to hold their laugh. I shrugged it off and indulged his conversation.

He talks about the killings, and I said "Yeah man, isn't Islam a religion of peace?"

He's all "Right on! Where's the fucking peace!? I will let 100,000 cockroaches in my country, and not one fucking immigrant!"

Funny enough, all three of us whom he was talking to are immigrants.

I just laughed it off without getting into an argument with an ignorant. At the end of the conversation, we had a few laughs, hugged it out and went our ways.

Moral here is that you cannot change someone's view; it's engraved in them and they will forever defend their feelings. However, showing love instead of hate can go a long way. So please, show love at Peterborough: the sound of love is far more amplifying than bigotry.

nZtvKkI.gif

A long way towards what? He thinks you're a bigot too and might be emboldened by that.

As a Canadian, I'm kind of disappointed. You fooled him into opening up and showing his bigotry. You fooled him into accepting you. You should have ended the conversation by telling him the truth and showing him up. Forcing him to face his bigotry head on. Just a simple. "I'm actually muslim. We are all actual immigrants" would have done. Something short, sweet, passive aggressively Canadian that would have immediately put him on the backburner trying to re-evaluate his positions right in front of you.

Nothing good comes from humouring these people. You need to show them up and refute them with cold hard facts.

Hopeford

Just passed by the protests. There's like half a dozen masked losers and a fucking giant crowd of counter protesters. It almost looks hilarious.

Top Bottom