• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

City of Peterborough grants permit to Neo-Nazis for a rally Saturday in public square

Someone tell these fuckers to grow some balls and try setting this up in Scarborough.

LOOOOOL there would be a much much much bigger counter protest if that were the case and it would likely not end up being peaceful for sure. There's more than enough Scarborough citizens who wouldn't put up with that racist bullshit

cwmartin

Did someone just say Nazi views are controversial? Does controversial mean abhorrent disgrace now and I didn't get the memo?

kinda unrelated but i remember seeing a confederate flag of all places in Whitby,Ontario on the back of a pickup truck a couple months back, like wtf???

mlclmtckr

Banned
kinda unrelated but i remember seeing a confederate flag of all places in Whitby,Ontario on the back of a pickup truck a couple months back, like wtf???

yeah, our right wingers love all that American shit. I've seen "Wynne for Prison" stickers, "Give me liberty or give me death" over a Canadian flag, Gadsen flags, all kinds of stuff.

dubq

Peterborough is pretty white trash, so this is no surprise. I'm actually shocked there hasn't been one in Oshawa yet (granted I don't pay attention to Oshawa, so who knows). Hopefully it gets shut down, hard.

Sapiens

So many goddamn wannabe rednecks in Ontario. So many. Hopefully, they all get swallowed up by the earth once they’re all gathered in that shithole.

It’s not just Peterborough, and go to any medium sized city in Ontario and you’ll be able to spot plenty of confederate flags plastered on pickup trucks that aren’t used for picking up anything besides the drivers fat ass.

Oh , and country music. Why are there so many country music fans in Ontario? Ugh.

We’re hopeless.

Peterborough is pretty white trash, so this is no surprise. I'm actually shocked there hasn't been one in Oshawa yet (granted I don't pay attention to Oshawa, so who knows). Hopefully it gets shut down, hard.

i only go to Oshawa for the main mall, i dont know much about the other parts of Oshawa,lol

MikeyB

Hoping Canadian Antifa roll up and show em what's up

It is a 2.5 hour transit ride from downtown Toronto. Unless busses are arranged, I don't see Peterborough having an opposing protest group that dwarfs the original one, as Vancouver did.

I hope I am wrong.

jstripes

Banned
So many goddamn wannabe rednecks in Ontario. So many. Hopefully, they all get swallowed up by the earth once they’re all gathered in that shithole.

It’s not just Peterborough, and go to any medium sized city in Ontario and you’ll be able to spot plenty of confederate flags plastered on pickup trucks that aren’t used for picking up anything besides the drivers fat ass.

Oh , and country music. Why are there so many country music fans in Ontario? Ugh.

We’re hopeless.

If only they could be decent people like Ricky, Julian, and Bubbles.

I can go to the Twitter feed of Justin Trudeau or any of his cabinet and see the same racist wannabe Trump supporter replies. I'm sure most are bots.

They will try the same shit in Canada in 2019 that they did in the US.

Gonna be a lot harder here though.

Did someone just say Nazi views are controversial? Does controversial mean abhorrent disgrace now and I didn't get the memo?

Views can be both controversial and an abhorrent disgrace. Such as these.

As usual with these threads, the casual dismissal of hard fought free speech rights in these threads is frightening.

Tuorom

Neo Member
Oh what? Man, Peterborough has been going down the shitter. I always tell people how fucking sketchy it is. Like last year they found a coke stash house or something and automatic weapons. And there was like 5 stabbings downtown.

And the Mayor is a dumbass, idk why he got re-elected. And the stupid bullshit with the police officers being paid a full year salary because of a technicality (although I don't think they've actually been paid yet). The city council is full of dumbasses, although a few of them are alright.

I want to go back and counter protest them. Omg if I knew anyone is in the nazi group, I would lose my shit on them.

But at least we're not the Shwa!
:p

Jakten

Was a guy just outside of Oshawa that had a confederate flag that took up his whole double garage for a few years. He recently took it down and put up a backwards Canadian forces flag. I also knew some kids when I was in high school who would ride in the back of their truck and fly the flag off the back each day.

Now I have to see if I can head out to Peterborough to protest these assholes.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

As usual with these threads, the casual dismissal of hard fought free speech rights in these threads is frightening.

I feel people who bring up free speech in these types of situations rarely even get the basic concept behind just exactly what free speech is and what it entails.

"One of the counter-protests happens Friday from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Peterborough Square."

Good. Show love. Don't get mad, don't get aggressive, just show love.

I met an old white man, early 50, at a concert last week in Toronto, trying to buy his cigarettes. We talked for a while and he seemed to enjoy my company. Then he asked the trivial questions:

"Where are you from?"
"What religion are you from?"

I lied and said I'm a Christian from India (my two friends at the concert were from India and are Christian, so I didn't want to do a dance and explain where all of us are from).

I knew where this was going.

"Can I say something to you guys? And this is something I feel very strongly about.

Fuck Moslems!"

My friends were shocked, trying to hold their laugh. I shrugged it off and indulged his conversation.

He talks about the killings, and I said "Yeah man, isn't Islam a religion of peace?"

He's all "Right on! Where's the fucking peace!? I will let 100,000 cockroaches in my country, and not one fucking immigrant!"

Funny enough, all three of us whom he was talking to are immigrants.

I just laughed it off without getting into an argument with an ignorant. At the end of the conversation, we had a few laughs, hugged it out and went our ways.

Moral here is that you cannot change someone's view; it's engraved in them and they will forever defend their feelings. However, showing love instead of hate can go a long way. So please, show love at Peterborough: the sound of love is far more amplifying than bigotry.

jstripes

Banned

Yes, and a significant part of that fight was against Nazis, you dim bulb.

MikeyB

Hate speech should not fall under free speech.
It doesn't in Canadian law.

Freedom of expression is subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

The Criminal Code and federal and provincial human rights laws set out some of those limits.
Hate propaganda (advocates or promotes genocide) and inciting hatred against an identifiable group are the big prohibitions.

That's all from rusty polisci memory and wikipedia, so correct me if I am wrong.

Joeku

Hopeford

Peterborough is a strange place in that part of it is super, super progressive because of Trent University...but the further you get from the university area(which isn't difficult, the place is nearly Hogwarts levels of seclusion) it gets pretty weird.

Haven't had many issues myself aside from the very occasional racist, but even those are pretty rare.

holygeesus

Banned
Thought this was going to be UK peterborough and I was ready to be very ashamed of where I live
somehow this being a canada city makes it worse

Yup Peterborough (UK) is my nearest city(?) here too and it was a relief to read it wasn't here. Boston though, I could believe. If it happened in Peterborough there would be grief as it is very, very multi-cultural.

Arkeband

Banned
"One of the counter-protests happens Friday from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Peterborough Square."

I met an old white man, early 50, at a concert last week in Toronto, trying to buy his cigarettes. We talked for a while and he seemed to enjoy my company. Then he asked the trivial questions:

"Where are you from?"

I lied and said I'm a Christian from India (my two friends at the concert were from India and are Christian, so I didn't want to do a dance and explain where all of us are from).

"Can I say something to you guys? And this is something I feel very strongly about.

Fuck Moslems!"

My friends were shocked, trying to hold their laugh. I shrugged it off and indulged his conversation.

He talks about the killings, and I said "Yeah man, isn't Islam a religion of peace?"

He's all "Right on! Where's the fucking peace!? I will let 100,000 cockroaches in my country, and not one fucking immigrant!"

I just laughed it off without getting into an argument with an ignorant. At the end of the conversation, we had a few laughs, hugged it out and went our ways.

Moral here is that you cannot change someone's view; it's engraved in them and they will forever defend their feelings. However, showing love instead of hate can go a long way. So please, show love at Peterborough: the sound of love is far more amplifying than bigotry.

It doesn't sound like you actually modulated his bigotry in any way, you just pretended you were something you weren't and he left none the wiser, your laughter affirming his views. Why would he be any less hateful now, and what did love actually accomplish here beyond merely surviving this encounter without a redneck taking a swing at you?

M.Bluth

"Where are you from?"

Fuck Moslems!"

The fuck did I just read....?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

"Where are you from?"

Fuck Moslems!"

I'm not sure this story accomplishes what you were hoping it to. It just sounds like anecdotal evidence that you could laugh off a bigots ugly bull shit.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Don't punch Nazis, man, that's how they win

Actually don't even politely disagree with racists, either. Just agree with them and enable their racism. That'll show em.

Um this person didn't actually change so I'm wondering what you mean by going "a long way". Toward what? The dude you met still hates Muslims, will still insult more of them and will still spread his hateful views to others. They may "like" you in particular but that's nothing new to bigots who often sight their favorite model minorities as "one of the good ones". And before I forget, there's a deep difference even between this guy you met and someone who owns weapons, is constantly encouraged by his social group of an oncoming race war, and/or isn't satisfied with just verbal abuse of minorities they don't like.

"Where are you from?"

Fuck Moslems!"

4p9r5.gif

Dopus

Banned

"Where are you from?"

Fuck Moslems!"

I'd rather stomp on their heads tbh.

"Where are you from?"

Fuck Moslems!"

Bruh you didn't show love, you just lied to avoid conflict lol.

CazTGG

Looks like the permit for the rally has been denied.

"While city staff had initially given permission for the rally, saying the organizer promised it would be a peaceful rally, the city did not issue a permit because the organizer did not provide the required documentation to the city in time"

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer....-kevin-goudreau-did-not-meet-citys-conditions

...So the problem wasn't that they're literal Nazis, it was that they didn't file paperwork.

I don't know which fact makes me more disgusted.

"Where are you from?"

Fuck Moslems!"

tenor.gif

What was gained? He still hates Muslims, and thinks you agree with him.

Top Bottom