• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic SEGA games receive modern art treatment.

CookBeck

Amsterdam representing! ;)

The Standard and the Collector's are the same book-wise inside and out. The CE comes with the special box, sleeve and unique print and is of course limited to only 2.500.

The book is about the art & design of Sonic and his world focusing on basic questions like (why is he blue, why does he gather rings, the necessity for Modern Sonic etc.) to more elaborate design issues. And of course showing us some very tight designs in terms of sketches, pixel art, promo images etc. We interviewed almost all of the key artists and designers for this book.

This book should delight hardcore Sonic fans and be an eye-opener for the casual fan as well.

Raitaro

Amsterdam representing! ;)

The Standard and the Collector's are the same book-wise inside and out. The CE comes with the special box, sleeve and unique print and is of course limited to only 2.500.

The book is about the art & design of Sonic and his world focusing on basic questions like (why is he blue, why does he gather rings, the necessity for Modern Sonic etc.) to more elaborate design issues. And of course showing us some very tight designs in terms of sketches, pixel art, promo images etc. We interviewed almost all of the key artists and designers for this book.

This book should delight hardcore Sonic fans and be an eye-opener for the casual fan as well.

Cheers (or Dank je wel) for the reply. So would you say it's comparable in any way to that Pix n Love Sonic book in terms of depth and the amount of art and interviews, or? If you can answer that of course.

Must be cool to be able to work so closely with Sega designers and such. I'll be sure to check the book out more thoroughly soon before making the plunge.

Little bit off-topic but I also noticed you guys sell quite a few Capcom prints for Street Fighter. However, these mostly seem to be a (no offense) kind of random selection of single art pieces (such as a single character or a few but not the others, etc.) from different artists and different games. I've been on the look out for some Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike art for years but mostly the character collages like these ones (both by Capcom artist Ikeno I believe):

Uq28lES.jpg

I0vEPtj.jpg

Just out of curiosity, for myself and any others that might be interested in how this process of working with Japanese companies goes: would Cook & Becker be able to make official prints for those as well by requesting the originals from Capcom, or does Capcom decide what can and can't be used? Same for Sega as well, with regards to the Sonic art used in the book or what original art could be published based on Sega IP.

CookBeck

@raitaro

We have more art than the Pix N Love book that is for sure and - this one being official - larger format from SEGA's own archives, more pixel art, sketches etc. In terms of focus I would maybe say we are really art & design focused and Pix N Love's was more history focused?

As for the SF and other art that we do. We request what we want so reproduce as prints (based on historical relevance, artistry, the artist, series etc.) and put in the request with a publisher. Sometimes a publisher or studio just gives us access to their entire archive and we go through that and make a selection. But it is our choice, not the artist/studio/publisher (although they have to sign off on it of course) what gets published or printed.

Please note that to the high-quality prints we make an image must still be available in its original format (if a painting or pen drawing) so that we can fine art scan it or it needs to be archived a high resolutions.

You can imagine with older artwork, it is either lost or not archived properly, or the rights situation is confusing (who owns the copyrights etc.)

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
@raitaro

We have more art than the Pix N Love book that is for sure and - this one being official - larger format from SEGA's own archives, more pixel art, sketches etc. In terms of focus I would maybe say we are really art & design focused and Pix N Love's was more history focused?

As for the SF and other art that we do. We request what we want so reproduce as prints (based on historical relevance, artistry, the artist, series etc.) and put in the request with a publisher. Sometimes a publisher or studio just gives us access to their entire archive and we go through that and make a selection. But it is our choice, not the artist/studio/publisher (although they have to sign off on it of course) what gets published or printed.

Please note that to the high-quality prints we make an image must still be available in its original format (if a painting or pen drawing) so that we can fine art scan it or it needs to be archived a high resolutions.

You can imagine with older artwork, it is either lost or not archived properly, or the rights situation is confusing (who owns the copyrights etc.)

Cool you guys found your way to NeoGAF. Any chance the Journey artwork pieces that are out of print make a return? I managed to get one back when you introduced them, but missed out on another.

Could this finally be the definitive Sonic art book fans have been waiting for, with old and new art? I'm still amazed that a Dutch company is advertising and releasing these official Sega goods, but that's beside the point I guess (even though it does make me feel a bit proud to be Dutch for once).

The link you provide mentions that this is a special edition of a regular hardcover version of this 25th anniversary book, but the link provided on the website in turn doesn't go anywhere yet. Could you give us some details on the regular version as well perhaps? Is the text written by Sega for instance?

Edit: nvm, found some more info myself, like on Sonic Retro and on the Cook & Becker website itself. Seems like a book worth purchasing.

Am I stupid for buying this? I think I'm going to buy this.

Edit: 173 Aussie dollars. Fuuck me what do I do?!?

CookBeck

Yeah, we've got some unique stuff in there. The Sonic aficionados advising for the book also all immediately jumped on that Sonic Jam artwork :)

CookBeck

Cool you guys found your way to NeoGAF. Any chance the Journey artwork pieces that are out of print make a return? I managed to get one back when you introduced them, but missed out on another.

We never do reprints I'm afraid (to protect collector value). The only way to try and snag a sold out print is maybe join the Facebook Cook & Becker's Collector Group and see if someone is willing to part with theirs.

Raitaro

@raitaro

Thank you again for the quick reply. Very interesting to read all this. As said, I'll definitely consider the book as I myself would be more interested in the (imo fantastic) art behind the Sonic series than its history (which has been told quite a few times already in various sources). Seems like your book will differentiate itself nicely from the Pix'n Love one indeed.

Regarding the Capcom art, one last time if I may: so for the two examples I mentioned, it would be a combination of C&B's interest, Capcom's willingness to grant the originals, and the fact whether the originals are still available in high quality for the possibility to be there to actually print and sell them, correct? You probably couldn't tell me off the bat if that would be the case for either of those two images, right ;-)

Am I stupid for buying this? I think I'm going to buy this.

Edit: 173 Aussie dollars. Fuuck me what do I do?!?

That is indeed a lot of money. I don't know what to recommend to you in this case except perhaps to wait for reviews if you're unsure? You could just take the plunge as well I guess, depending on how big of a fan you consider yourself. Or maybe ask another buyer of the book from Europe to ship one for you if that saves on shipping costs?

CookBeck

@raitaro

For SF we are also most interested in art by Ikeno, CMRK, Daichan, Akiman, Bengus etc. as they invented the characters and set the style but for instance a lot of the art from Akiman Capcom can't license because they don't have the rights actually.

From the two pieces you listed, I don;t think the top one is official or Ikeno's actually just going by the quality of the portraiture. Could be wrong though.

We'll put in new requests next year with Capcom. Please use our contact form if you want us to consider certain works (easier for us to track)

Raitaro

@raitaro

For SF we are also most interested in art by Ikeno, CMRK, Daichan, Akiman, Bengus etc. as they invented the characters and set the style but for instance a lot of the art from Akiman Capcom can't license because they don't have the rights actually.

From the two pieces you listed, I don;t think the top one is official or Ikeno's actually just going by the quality of the portraiture. Could be wrong though.

We'll put in new requests next year with Capcom. Please use our contact form if you want us to consider certain works (easier for us to track)

I might do that, use the form I mean.

Just to clarify, the first image I posted was used on a jigsaw puzzle in the Japanese exclusive limited edition PS2 release of 3rd Strike:
5aPwZF9.jpg

Since Ikeno, I believe, did all the promotional work for 3rd Strike, I think he might have done this image as well though I can't find confirmation of that right now. I agree that the style used is a bit more silly and "off" compared to his other stuff for this game, but somehow I always liked it due to the color scheme used and the fact that it shows all characters.

Ok, I'll really stop going on about Capcom art now ;-)

Top Bottom