• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic SEGA games receive modern art treatment.

CookBeck

And Kilian Eng's Space Harrier is now live: https://www.candb.com/en/artwork/1684/space-harrier-sega.html

Be sure to zoom in on the bigger images on our website to see all the fine detail. This print really comes into its own in actual size. Thanks!

6WbdsPH.jpg

A39CYHT.jpg

h9xNTVv.jpg

gunstarhero

And Kilian Eng's Space Harrier is now live: https://www.candb.com/en/artwork/1684/space-harrier-sega.html

Be sure to zoom in on the bigger images on our website to see all the fine detail. This print really comes into its own in actual size. Thanks!

6WbdsPH.jpg

A39CYHT.jpg

h9xNTVv.jpg

Amazing! - but why does Harrier have RED pants? He originally had blue. Guess Killian decided to base this off of SH2?

Regardless - nabbed myself #85 (the year of it's release).

I recently did an art extraction of VF for The Video Game Art Archive, so there's now some super good quality versions of that art out there now :)

Excellent page, I'm enjoying it greatly. Bookmarked as reference.

About this post illustrations, they are fantastic and really good at getting the original flavor, lot of talent in the makings. Maybe I am too nitpick, but some faces break the overal charm to me, like Pai or the Golden Axe ones. Artistic choices and all, but when I am that used to old illustrations I miss that reference. More when they are so damn good.

CookBeck

Remember, unframed print orders made before Thursday we can still get to you before Christmas. Any later and we can't guarantee pre-Christmas deliveries anymore.

Ok in another related thread *cough* 3DS classics, I held back ...

But with CookBeck, I am going to let my imagination run wild :

- Space Channel 5
- Another arcade classic : Afterburner, Outrun, House of the Dead ?
- Panzer Dragoon ( I assume the rights were still not figured out ?)
- Skies of Arcadia
- Ecco the Dolphin
- Fantasy Zone
- Thunderforce

Can't wait ...

Sakujou

Banned
i really would appreciate it if EVERY PUBLISHER would release high rez boxarts from the 80s and 90s....

i really would love to put them up on my walls.

gunstarhero

Ok in another related thread *cough* 3DS classics, I held back ...

But with CookBeck, I am going to let my imagination run wild :

- Space Channel 5
- Another arcade classic : Afterburner, Outrun, House of the Dead ?
- Panzer Dragoon ( I assume the rights were still not figured out ?)
- Skies of Arcadia
- Ecco the Dolphin
- Fantasy Zone
- Thunderforce

Can't wait ...

Would love to see Parel's take on SC5 and Skies of Arcadia. And would KILL to see him do Eswat.

Kilian is a natural for Fantasy Zone and Outrun, but would love to see him take on Alex Kidd.

I can dream.

Raitaro

the konami 16bit covers would be so tight

...and I believe we still don't know the (quite possibly single) artist behind the best of those (Contra III, Super Castlevania IV, Sunset Riders, Rollergames NES, Turtles in Time, etc.).

Wish that guy on the Castlevania Dungeon forums who over a year ago mentioned that he'd disclose this artist's identity in due time (because of a time sensitive project involving said artist or something) would come through and spill the beans finally.

(Though I haven't checked that forum in a while so maybe he has...)

Edit: just checked the thread (found here: http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=3085.60) and apparently he was planning to give us the name of this artist last year but he never seemed to have come back to the thread to do so or made any public statement like he promised he would. We were so close!

Edit 2: Aaannnd the cat's finally out of the bag. The artist behind many famous Konami covers has been unveiled to be Tom Dubois. The guy who knew of him before withheld the info initially but is planning to do a book and/or documentary on box art featuring Tom's art I believe.

CookBeck

The Space Channel 5 print was pretty far along late last year but due to an unfortunate personal tragedy the artist had to quit at once leaving the piece unfinished. We're looking for a new artist now that can do Space Channel justice.

For the retro Konami fans. I'm pretty sure we'll have good news on that soon :)

CookBeck

To add another small update. There are less than 20 copies left of the Shenmue print. So if you're interested, don't wait too long.

CookBeck

The pics don't do the SH print justice I think. Really awesome print at full size.

And yeah, the Crazy Taxi craziness with the minimalist design approach by Arkotype was an interesting experiment for us too. Very happy with how it turned out. Stealth video game art for the modern home :)

CookBeck

Same here. Too bad we can't release it as an official SEGA print due to the Ferrari license that is required in that case.

Alboreo

This just makes me sad. Phantasy Star was so great and they ruined it by turning it into Diablo. I have nothing against PSO and played it a lot back in the Dreamcast days, but I wish they had created it as a new IP and kept making traditional Phantasy Star RPGs as well. Sigh.

Agreed, I absolutely adore PSO/PSO2 (Like, a lot. A lot-a-lot.), but I truly wish that Sega would drop a new single-player, turn-based Phantasy Star game based on the original series. I'd take it in 2D or 3D, or hell, even 2.5D. I just love the setting of Phantasy Star games more than any other, and I would lose my mind over a new turn-based game in the series.

I'd be okay with them bringing in some new gameplay features as well, such as more customizable characters, more sidequests, more interesting exploration, etc. I just want turn-based combat in the setting.

Raitaro

Could this finally be the definitive Sonic art book fans have been waiting for, with old and new art? I'm still amazed that a Dutch company is advertising and releasing these official Sega goods, but that's beside the point I guess (even though it does make me feel a bit proud to be Dutch for once).

The link you provide mentions that this is a special edition of a regular hardcover version of this 25th anniversary book, but the link provided on the website in turn doesn't go anywhere yet. Could you give us some details on the regular version as well perhaps? Is the text written by Sega for instance?

Edit: nvm, found some more info myself, like on Sonic Retro and on the Cook & Becker website itself. Seems like a book worth purchasing.

Top Bottom