• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clinton has pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackat

So, we're back to why is she hugging kids and older people? Isn't this very dangerous for these groups? Is mycoplasma a certainty or just a theory? Am I missing something again?

http://www.cdc.gov/pneumonia/atypical/mycoplasma/about/causes-transmission.html

here you go
Most people who are exposed for a short amount of time to someone with M. pneumoniae infection do not become ill.

mostly caught from spending time in close contact with someone. like a family member, work place, etc.

Tagyhag

Yeah that's not a good thing. More toxic American work culture.

Yep, I've had pneumonia, it's no joke. I hope she takes it easy for at least a few days.

If HYPOTHETICALLY she were to pass or be hospital ridden, Trump would have a damn good shot. It's a terrifying thought.

I just don't understand what these people hate her for. Republicans like Trump I can understand because they actively work to marginalize certain demographics.

Politics is the only realm in which the first reaction to an elderly woman getting pneumonia is "how dare that bitch ____"

pigeon

Banned
Wait, I'm sorry for upsetting you, but isn't this basically what you said last page? That pneumonia isn't contagious? What did I do wrong?

I always fuck up somehow. Please tell me how I did it wrong.

I've had 'walking pneumonia ' a couple of times (I'm on immunosuppressive drugs) and I was always told it was contagious.

I'm sorry.

I was probably too brusque. Let me kind of elaborate.

Pneumonia is the condition of having inflammation in the lungs due to fluid. It is not itself contagious, but it can be dangerous.

Mostly you get pneumonia from an infection. Infections, obviously, can be contagious. But that doesn't mean they will necessarily give you pneumonia! Pneumonia just means the infection got really bad, not that it will make everybody who gets it as sick as you got. There are lots of factors that affect how an infection hits you including just plain bad luck.

So: the common cold is infectious. The common cold can develop into pneumonia. But if you have pneumonia from getting a cold, you're not going to give people pneumonia. You will just give them a cold.

Walking pneumonia, aka atypical pneumonia, is just pneumonia that has a different presentation than pneumonia normally has, generally including feeling better than most people with pneumonia feel. (Hence "walking" -- because you can walk around and do things without looking like you have pneumonia.)

If you got pneumonia from a virus then there's no particular treatment other than fluids and rest. If you got pneumonia from bacteria than you can take antibiotics. Once you take antibiotics you're generally not contagious any more.

So if Hillary took antibiotics, she probably had some kind of bacterial pneumonia, took antibiotics, and is probably not contagious, which is why she went out and did things, but still needs some rest.

Sorry for my overintensity!

Sianos

It's not a conspiracy anymore. This elderly woman has pneumonia, a serious health condition for anyone.

shit where'd those goalposts go

someone must have moved them

unless we're trying to argue that "hillary clinton catching pneumonia - and continuing to campaign through it - demonstrates that she isn't physically fit to be president" now

think of the #optics!!!
of her tirelessly working through a debilitating yet acute illness

Eusis

If she has pneumonia then she's more susceptible to infections from opportunistic pathogens yeah?
I... don't think that's what the alt-right or Trump are though. Not in this sense.

Then again they do spread misery, and when you're sick you're more likely to feel miserable easily.

steveovig

I just don't understand what these people hate her for. Republicans like Trump I can understand because they actively work to marginalize certain demographics.

I've been told through my recent session of Crashmo and trolling, that it's because she is responsible for many murders.

giga

Well, yeah technically they do. Obama isn't conducting national security meetings from the golf course. Time off is normal for Presidents. Considering how fast they age, they definitely need it.

So, in reality, they don't. Obama is always on-call.

Loxley

Oh man, this just open the floodgates for the crazies on Twitter once again - some of the conspiracy theories from right-wingers are amazing. My favorite so far is that Hillary has gotten sick because she's against God and He made her sick because of it. As we all know, no Christian in history - not even the Pope - has ever gotten sick.

image.php

Also how can doing work be poor judgement when "there's a lot of work to do"?

I'm referring to Donald Trump having a lot of work to do to catch up while poor judgement refers to Hillary. She should've canceled events and took the diagnosis seriously. Maybe if she felt the need for optics show up to the 9/11 event.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
A possibility? Yes.

A real possibility? Probably not. She's not exactly your average 70 year old, living out her retirement on the couch.

I'm aware of that. I'm just saying that the jokes seem a little presumptuous. Joking about her dying as if it's completely out of the realms of possibility.

shem935

Banned
So the CDC even says it is contagious and can cause outbreaks in crowded areas.

Hope everybody at that event breaks our the hand sanitizer!

You aren't really that clever with the concern trolling you know? If I wanted fox/rightwing nut talking points I would read them or watch their channel. It just comes across as sad and try hardy honestly.

Sianos

So the CDC even says it is contagious and can cause outbreaks in crowded areas.

Hope everybody at that event breaks our the hand sanitizer!

reading is FUNdamental

Most people who are exposed for a short amount of time to someone with M. pneumoniae infection do not become ill.

additionally, as we've learned hillary does not sweat, either

M. pneumoniae is transmitted (spread) from person-to-person when small droplets of water that contain the bacteria get into the air and people breathe them in.

so yeah as long as she did the vampire cough and washed her hands we're fine

Skeletron

I had pneumonia. It sucks. Had pain in my chest and nasty green phlegm coming up for weeks. Finally got on some antibiotics and knocked it out. I was otherwise quite healthy. Just pissed me off...shit seriously got in the way of my gains. Fucking germ warfare, man.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Sunday: collapsed.

http://www.cdc.gov/pneumonia/atypical/mycoplasma/about/causes-transmission.html

here you go

mostly caught from spending time in close contact with someone. like a family member, work place, etc.

She's a walking WMD to children, exposing them to a potentially life threatening virus with their weak immune systems.

This AGAIN shows poor judgement by Illary.

So, in reality, they don't. Obama is always on-call.

Most of us are "on-call" these days; writing emails and putting out fires from our vacation spots. Presidents have vacation and downtime, though they're never 100% tuned out, and dealing with heavy shit on a constant basis more than the general populace.

Sianos

Is a crowded event that lasts all day long term enough?

tell me, diablos991

do you really think "one day" is considered long term?

is this a thought that you brought forth from your heart of hearts?

when some says an arrangement will be "long term" do you think it will be finished by nightfall?

to answer your question, no, one day is not long enough to qualify as being "long term"

A few years ago an older coworker with WP attended a 2 day sales meeting. There were 7 of us in the room.. 3 came down with the ailment. If she knew she had this, why was she out?

giga

Most of us are "on-call" these days; writing emails and putting out fires from our vacation spots. Presidents have vacation and downtime, though they're never 100% tuned out, and dealing with heavy shit on a constant basis more than the general populace.

I definitely wouldn't put a president's 24/7 job responsibilities in the same bucket as responding to emails from our vacation spots.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Why are you so obsessed with it being contagious or not?

Because going to an event and interacting with old people and children while having contagious pneumonia is a dick move.

Also partly because people in this thread gave me so much shit for saying it was contagious in the first place. Now it's just a pivot to not contagious enough as the news comes out.

tell me, diablos991

do you really think "one day" is considered long term?

is this a thought that you brought forth from your heart of hearts?

when some says an arrangement will be "long term" do you think it will be finished by nightfall?

to answer your question, no, one day is not long enough to qualify as being "long term"

I think that if I was elderly, young, or immune compromised I would appreciate that people with contagious pneumonia stay home or at least disclose so I could keep my distance.

Because going to an event and interacting with old people and children while having contagious pneumonia is a dick move.

Also partly because people in this thread gave me so much shit for saying it was contagious in the first place. Now it's just a pivot to not contagious enough as the news comes out.
So you're bitter that people were mean to you earlier.

Future

Her getting pneumonia literally right after this health craze against her is oddly coincidental. Its actually good reason to suspect trump was on to something. Thats actually a serious illness that people can die from

Joeytj

Banned
A few years ago an older coworker with WP attended a 2 day sales meeting. There were 7 of us in the room.. 3 came down with the ailment. If she knew she had this, why was she out?

Because she's being treated with antibiotics, wasn't in a closed area, and is usually not contagious. In your case, you were in closed quarters with a contagious person during two days.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Question for the doctors in here: what is a reasonable estimate for a recovery time in this situation? 68 year old woman who pushes herself hard, and went through what she went through today? Doesn't seem like a "sleep for a couple of days" kind of thing to me. Is the first debate at risk here?

Sianos

are we really pivoting from "hillary's mystery health problem means she is physically incapable of being president" to "hillary working through a sickness in accordance with american cultural standards demonstrates she has poor judgment"

so the problem isn't that hillary's health is too weak

now the problem is that her health is too strong! and she puts ordinary puny humans at risk by not lying up in bed with a non-contagious illness after being on a regiment of antibiotics

lmao

Her getting pneumonia literally right after this health craze against her is oddly coincidental. Its actually good reason to suspect trump was on to something. Thats actually a serious illness that people can die from

Trump wasn't on to anything. Most of the alt-right concern trolling about her health was fixated on baseless speculation about completely unrelated conditions without any evidence.

The fact that she developed pneumonia was coincidental to this health concern trolling by Trump supporters. They'll claim they were right all along, but this is coincidental to their witch hunt.

Question for the doctors in here: what is a reasonable estimate for a recovery time in this situation? 68 year old woman who pushes herself hard, and went through what she went through today? Doesn't seem like a "sleep for a couple of days" kind of thing to me. Is the first debate at risk here?

Just a crappy med student but assuming its walking pneumonia and she doesn't push herself more, she should probably maybe be better in a week for the most part. If its more serious or the antibiotics dont work or etc it could last longer. I'm assuming its relatively minor case and not full blown bacterial pneumonia with an entire lobe consolidated.

First debate is probably not at major risk barring complications given with what little we know.

Zackat

you're showin em, bein the bigger man now. proud of you

Joeytj

Banned

Trump wasn't on to anything. He was throwing random health concerns in the air in order to undermine her.

If suddenly a Mexican immigrant raped someone, it wouldn't have been because Trump predicted it or "was on to something", but only because sooner or latter, out of millions of immigrants, it would be logical that one of them would commit a crime.

And no, Hillary wasn't putting anybody in danger. A few minutes of contact with somebody with WP (if that's what she has) won't be a danger. Maybe a few days or hours in close quarters would, but that's not what is happening.

Because she's being treated with antibiotics, wasn't in a closed area, and is usually not contagious. In your case, you were in closed quarters with a contagious person during two days.

I wonder if anyone in her entourage or press pool have come down? It wouldn't be her fault especially if she didn't know before fri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom