• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Closer look at the Xbox One from a user who got the console early

Epcott

So in summation, the UI is pretty sweet and not as bad as people made it out to be (except DVR snap), and graphics are not bad either?

Thats actually good news. I don't see why anyone would be upset about that.

I also don't see why MS would ban the guy... Him leaking info has fixed much of the pr bs and doubt through secrecy THEY caused.

Looks a tad too busy...but overall very nice..MS has definitely still got Sony's number in UI department it seems, though a more simple design might be better if you have a ton of media who knows.

Hopefully Sony gives us some avatar creation tools besides Home though. Neither one of these OS look custom wallpaper friendly however, which is kinda fail for me.

enjoy day one guys!

Ashes

Banned
Looks a tad too busy...but overall very nice..MS has definitely still got Sony's number in UI department it seems, though a more simple design might be better if you have a ton of media who knows.

Hopefully Sony gives us some avatar creation tools besides Home though. Neither one of these OS look custom wallpaper friendly however, which is kinda fail for me.

enjoy day one guys!

Wasn't it about party chat? and online? I'm sure Microsoft will have that fixed by launch though.

mjontrix

The last two days of media release for the XB1 has been better marketing than anything since the reveal. My interest has definitely risen. One thing you can be sure of: Microsoft will definitely deliver on the dashboard/OS/services integration.

And then they banned him - god can't Microsoft get anything right?

Just unban him and get all the free PR, they're clearly not learning from their mistakes - heck it was Target that did the screwup! Paging Major, and/or anyone else from Microsoft...

Wouldn't be surprised if a PS4 video came out soonish...

AssaTM

It could easily have been an automatic ban, why not just wait to hear more? the "need to know now!" nature of the internet is often a bad thing

Did the OP get permission from Microsoft to post this thread and the information within it?

It could easily have been an automatic ban, why not just wait to hear more? the "need to know now!" nature of the internet is often a bad thing

If it was automatic it would have occurred almost instantly. This took hours to happen. It was most definitely not automatic.

The universal search across the device is the best thing they ever copied from Apple. It removes the need for lists upon lists.

And then they banned him - god can't Microsoft get anything right?

Just unban him and get all the free PR, they're clearly not learning from their mistakes - heck it was Target that did the screwup! Paging Major, and/or anyone else from Microsoft...

Wouldn't be surprised if a PS4 video came out soonish...

There are probably some exclusive press previews going on, that have less impact now while its good for us that this leaks its not cool for press sites that paid or lobbied to get exclusive content like first look of snap function and downloadsizes.

mjontrix

There are probably some exclusive press previews going on, that have less impact now while its good for us that this leaks its not cool for press sites that paid or lobbied to get exclusive content like first look of snap function and downloadsizes.

Ah that makes sense...

Trying to control information in the digital era though - not going to happen xD

Omni

If it was automatic it would have occurred almost instantly. This took hours to happen. It was most definitely not automatic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't automatic bans done in batches? i.e, not automatic - which could explain why people are able to stay online for a few hours after modding their consoles

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't automatic bans done in batches? i.e, not automatic - which could explain why people are able to stay online for a few hours after modding their consoles

I know nothing about modded consoles. In those cases I would assume the console is flagged as being not right, and a human being reviews the details and hits the ban button.

old

You can snap within COD without lag or loosing connection, that is game changing. That is big. I might actually try Search and Destroy now that I can snap over and browse the web after I die (instead of just waiting there twiddling my thumbs).

3uQgfMe.jpg

pS4SQVY.jpg

Dave :)

Ah that makes sense...

Trying to control information in the digital era though - not going to happen xD

I believe some of the tweets were talking about an 12/11/13 embargo if im not mistaken.
But yeah controlling information these good luck to any person that wants to try but you will fail.

abadguy

Banned
e3e477bb001822fd19460d52abeb5daf.png

Huh, wonder if this is an early indicator of how fun these games are... people seem to like Killer Instinct.... Ryse not so much...

Guess i don't have to worry about finding matches in KI come launch day. Those are some pretty low numbers for COD.

There's a difference between "shitting" on something and telling the truth.
They came and told us about some problems which was backed up by some dev or some journalist (can't renember who exactly it was).However Cboat said, these problems might be gone until launch.

He never said anything about "don't buy this console", it was just to raise the awareness so people would be prepared, if these features wouldn't work.

So it looks like everything was worked out and the OS seems to work just fine, which is good.
However, just imagine that this features would have been broken at launch, the uproad would be bigger without the actual warning.

I don't doubt that they were likely having problems with buggy OS at one point, these things happen. The problem was how it was blown out of proportion by so called "insiders" as if the thing was a complete disaster that wouldn't be fixed for a while.

Zomba13

I like the gamer pics and the fact there are a lot of colour options for the tiles (I like silly cosmetic customisation).
LOL at Kinect commands working through Skype.

Nice that the Snap stuff and UI seem good.

Caayn

Does anyone know if we can keep our current gamerpicture? If possible I'd like to keep my brute chieftain as my gamerpic. New ones look neat though, way better than what the Xbox 360 offered us.

abadguy

Banned
Moonlight and his xbox one died for us, but the info he posted was very helpful, at least we finally saw it in action , looked pretty good.

With the addition of ground war and looking better then current gen(of course) I'm dumping my copy of ghosts for the next gen copy.

Killer instinct hype growing

Here's to hoping his ban isn't permanent.

Does anyone know if we can keep our current gamerpicture? If possible I'd like to keep my brute chieftain as my gamerpic. New ones look neat though, way better than what the Xbox 360 offered us.

Your current gamerpic should download with your profile. I'm currently using a paid for gamerpic (I know, I know) and when I upgraded to my current slim, the gamerpic downloaded with my GT.

Caayn

Your current gamerpic should download with your profile. I'm currently using a paid for gamerpic (I know, I know) and when I upgraded to my current slim, the gamerpic downloaded with my GT.
I'm aware of that ;) My gamerpic tranfser nicely to every Xbox 360 I log into. I want to know if I can keep my current gamerpic and take it with me when I transfer my account to an Xbox One.

I kinda doubt it :( As games on Windows 8 use a different gamerpicture than my account on the 360.

MCD

His/her point is why doesn't it adjust the ratio/scale the ratio accordingly to the screen space. In windows 8 the game scales depending on the space used for snap. It automatically adjust the aspect ratio. Like this for example:

Exactly!

Is this gonna be fixed later? I sure hope so!

JB1981

Wow great thread. Now I'm not sure which console I want. Ease of US and more responsive OS, better online implementation is a big factor for me

Thrakier

Wow great thread. Now I'm not sure which console I want. Ease of US and more responsive OS, better online implementation is a big factor for me

How do you even know that MS OS is easier to use, has a better online implementation or is "more responsive"? Both will run at 1080/60.

Glad that the "insiders" claims ended up being wrong and people will get a (mostly) stable console at launch barring any network issues. Can't really get mad at insiders for providing details. Just a shame that some people lose their capability for rational thought once something is leaked and it blows up into more than what it likely originally was intended to be. At the same time though, the insiders did sort of feed that flame sometimes.

All of this stuff looks really cool. Glad to see the Startup time is super short. Curious to hear more specifics about the noise levels. I know he did say it stayed quiet and didnt get hoteven after three hours so that's promising.

Casanova

Why on Earth would they ban him?

From what I've seen, he only has positive things to say about the console and service - with the one exception to the DVR, which is no fault of his own, and is clearly just a poor feature.

Razdek

Banned
Good point. I suspect the system is not 8.1 just like Windows Phone.

Dat Spring update.

I hope the development is like the GDR updates where they'll introduce new features throughout the year instead of one big update. With the ability for the box to download updates in the background this should be easier for them to do.

I'm aware of that ;) My gamerpic tranfser nicely to every Xbox 360 I log into. I want to know if I can keep my current gamerpic and take it with me when I transfer my account to an Xbox One.

I kinda doubt it :( As games on Windows 8 use a different gamerpicture than my account on the 360.

Apologies. Yeah, I doubt they'll allow that. Fingers crossed they do though, I have a few on 360 that I'd hate to lose...even with how good the X1 gamerpics are shaping up.

Wow, I'm liking the sound of this. Lots of cool little tidbits, like the how many people are playing each game screen. I haven't read the massive thread about the ban or much about this at all but from a cursory view it looks like it might have helped rather than hurt.

This is the first time I've felt any interest in the XB1.
Strange, isn't it?

The whole logistics with hooking up Kinect makes me nervous. My set up is in my basement where one hdmi cable runs from behind my tv through the ceiling under my stairs and hooks into a receiver. It was all professionally done when the basement was finished.

I think I'd need at least a 25 ft cable if I mounted kinect above or below my tv and had to wire kinect from behind my tv back up through the ceiling back under my stairs where the console would actually sit but the cord is only 6ft. Not to mention I'm not exactly sure how I would feed a cable through there myself without punching holes into the drywall. Anyone have any set ups similar?

Which makes me wonder the validity of these insiders. "It's utterly broken, but might be fixed by launch, or might not" is a pretty convenient insider truth to come out with. Considering how the update is already up and it's considerably less than a gigabyte, along with the timing of this supposed insider scoop about the UI and Snap that came out, what, two or three weeks ago? Makes me mighty skeptical of CBOAT and co. . I mean, c'mon, looking back, that UI and Snap rumor resulted in a big ol' internet shitstorm. Are these insiders actually focused on providing solid info, or is this just some entertaining pot-stirring for them?

I think that is a valid question.

JaggedSac

Just got a chance to look at the UI shots on my desktop, shit looks beautiful. Cool that they show total number of users in each game, nice bit of info there. Glad that KI is at the top spot lol. Can't wait to hop online and get my ass kicked.

Top Bottom