• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Closer look at the Xbox One from a user who got the console early

Just got a chance to look at the UI shots on my desktop, shit looks beautiful. Cool that they show total number of users in each game, nice bit of info there. Glad that KI is at the top spot lol. Can't wait to hop online and get my ass kicked.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for stats. Don't know why, but I love seeing all that data.

I feel spoiled because none of those updates really did anything for me. I want to see stuff in action. :(

- OS seems to be in good shape
- Snap seems be good (but the rumor was snap was crashing MP? so i guess we'll have to wait on that)

2 things that stuck out for me.
No live streaming? Saw it coming since it's been a no show since E3.
He couldn't play COD till 50% installed, said it took 30min. So about 15 min till you can play a disc game!?! Sounds horrible unless i read it wrong.

Phreaker

Just got a chance to look at the UI shots on my desktop, shit looks beautiful. Cool that they show total number of users in each game, nice bit of info there. Glad that KI is at the top spot lol. Can't wait to hop online and get my ass kicked.

I am guessing that is because it was the only game available to download. Those 113 people were probably testing out the store and stuff.

They should un-ban him the day their console wide media embargo ends. And also withdraw the copyright claim on his un-boxing video. The ban I can sort of understand (so long as it's temporary), but the copyright claim on the video is just absurd. If they don't eventually unban him....then they deserve all the mud slinging they get.

Side note, Ghosts does't look much better than the 360 version in that comparison. But I'm guessing these are down sized video grabs? Did he take any full resolution frame buffer captures?

Agree 100%

Justin

I feel spoiled because none of those updates really did anything for me. I want to see stuff in action. :(

- OS seems to be in good shape
- Snap seems be good (but the rumor was snap was crashing MP? so i guess we'll have to wait on that)

He couldn't play COD till 50% installed, said it took 30min. So about 15 min till you can play a disc game!?! Sounds horrible unless i read it wrong.

1) he said the twitch app was not available to download yet. In fact nothing on the store was up for download except maybe KI but he didn't try it.

2) It will vary from game to game where you can start playing while it is being installed. Some you might be able to jump into after a few minutes some might require 100% install before being played. It is up to the developer.

LQX

You know, seeing some of this it's the services and non-gaming features that are selling me on the XB1. I like what I'm seeing.

Steel

Banned

Actually I believe he said he could stream just not to twitch yet(the app wasn't in marketplace, which isn't surprising considering it's before launch).

I also found it interesting he couldn't play COD until it was 50%, if this is the case, I wonder how if it's the same for digital? If so, imagine if on PS4 instead of being able to play Killzone at 7.5 gb you had to wait for 18.5 gb to play? That's a deal breaker on digital future, which is horribly odd considering that's exactly what MS wanted to do.

Edit: And what's with this thread not being used at all when the target one is still blowing up? Are people -that- obsessed with the ban?

Actually I believe he said he could stream just not to twitch yet(the app wasn't in marketplace, which isn't surprising considering it's before launch).

I also found it interesting he couldn't play COD until it was 50%, if this is the case, I wonder how if it's the same for digital? If so, imagine if on PS4 instead of being able to play Killzone at 7.5 gb you had to wait for 18.5 gb to play? That's a deal breaker on digital future, which is horribly odd considering that's exactly what MS wanted to do.

Edit: And what's with this thread not being used at all when the target one is still blowing up? Are people -that- obsessed with the ban?

Microsoft's "digital future" still included retail discs, so nothing would have changed from that perspective.

RoKKeR

Like I said before, this dude has done a better job of showing off the Xbox One in about 5 hours than the entirety of Microsoft's shitty PR team did in the last 5 months.

Really great to see everything in action, two weeks left!

UI seems to function well, but not sure why people are shocked by that lol. MS has only been making OS's for the past many decades. That should be the strongest point of the Xbox One.

But I am not in the market for a 500$ TV OS device ya know? I for one despise Windows 8, so nothing there really did anything for me. Well, I despise Metro to be more precide. Windows 8 + start button is basically Windows 7 anyway ... just with a 120$ DLC update.

The switching between apps? That is being done on every smartphone in the world. Opening apps with voice = done by Siri for the past year or so. Very cool it is a part of a game system though I guess.

X1 has an idea here if you ask me, they have a good solid idea. But it just, in my eyes, does not belong in a game console.

Now sell a 200$ Kinect + system capable of running the OS and you have yourself a buyer. But not buying a gimped gaming console just to mess around with a cool smartphone esque TV overlay device. But I like the basic idea of what this type of OS could do with TV functionality in the future. I know some of this stuff is even built into my Samsung Smart TV, with the little boxes and such and " snapping " from TV to app, but seeing it live and moving this fast is pretty sweet.

Steel

Banned
Microsoft's "digital future" still included retail discs, so nothing would have changed from that perspective.

I suppose. Though I thought the point of what they were doing was to circumvent gamestop, but that install requirement would have made microsofts digital marketplace pretty unappealing. it still does make it unappealing comparatively. I also find it funny that Sony seems to have the digital download thing, and the disk install thing handled better.

PG2G

Could see this varying on a game by game basis. It should all come down to how much data the specific game needs.

Steel

Banned
Could see this varying on a game by game basis. It should all come down to how much data the specific game needs.

I'd agree if it was just digitally, but this particular instance was installing 50% of the disk while the way sony has been stating repeatedly is that you can start playing the moment you pop in the disk. Or am I wrong here?

I suppose. Though I thought the point of what they were doing was to circumvent gamestop, but that install requirement would have made microsofts digital marketplace pretty unappealing.

They still want Gamestop to sell discs and consoles, so they wouldn't (and probably can't) circumvent them completely. Some thought they were circumventing used games, but they weren't completely doing that either, as Gamestop likely would've been one of the "authorized retailers" to handle trade-ins. The used game situation would've basically been dictated by 3rd party publishers at that point. A subtle, but important difference.

it still does make it unappealing comparatively. I also find it funny that Sony seems to have the digital download thing, and the disk install thing handled better.

As someone else mentioned, the amount of files needed to start a game probably varies on a game by game basis. The Killzone guys probably specifically architected their game to work around the streaming from disc or streaming from PSN solution, so they're gonna have a legup on most other companies.

Though of course, we'll find out for sure soon enough, heh.

Like I said before, this dude has done a better job of showing off the Xbox One in about 5 hours than the entirety of Microsoft's shitty PR team did in the last 5 months.

Really great to see everything in action, two weeks left!

Seriously, all the stuff he showed off has really sold me on the One, unbelievable that this one little guy doing their job for free overcomes their efforts and in exchange he gets his console banned as a reward.

PG2G

I'd agree if it was just digitally, but this particular instance was installing 50% of the disk while the way sony has been stating repeatedly is that you can start playing the moment you pop in the disk. Or am I wrong here?

Yeah I think you're right. I think PS4 is smart about copying the data from the disk while you're playing.

Alx

Seriously, all the stuff he showed off has really sold me on the One, unbelievable that this one little guy doing their job for free overcomes their efforts and in exchange he gets his console banned as a reward.

Well, all he did was show the "real deal", which was a first because all of it has been hidden until now. It's not like he pulled off a masterful PR stunt, we would have gotten all that information in a few days anyway.

Chris R

Thing seems really cool. Wish they had taken the kinect out of the box day one, but whatever. By the time an exclusive I care about comes out I bet there will be a standalone version available.

Alx

Thing seems really cool. Wish they had taken the kinect out of the box day one, but whatever. By the time an exclusive I care about comes out I bet there will be a standalone version available.

All the recent positive reactions to UI demos should be a proof that kinect is an important part of the experience, and one on which MS would bet to convince people to buy their product. Without it, you basically have the same ergonomy as the 360 OS.

timepiece

Just catching up with this recent Xbox one snafu. My God I'm so bloody sold on the system, I was actually on the fence prior to this revealing but this guy made me BELIEVE. Can't wait for the 22nd!

P.S. The UI is heavenly.

DeBurgo

This guy's impressions makes the Xbox One's OS NOT sound like a steaming pile, which I think everybody assumed after all that "laggy/buggy UI" FUD.

Too bad MS is still terrible and decided to use strongarm tactics against this dude. Also, yeah, metro still blows.

Keyouta

Looks great. I'll grab one when more games are out that appeal to me. I also kind of want a fitness bundle lol

MCD

I dig the artsy style of the gamerpics, damn good.

Remind me of Zune Originals:

mWkxTnX.jpg

eso76

In this thread "nice gamerpics can sell you on a 499$ box".

kidding, I just had a quick look and I still don't know exactly what this thing can do, but from your comments it sounds great.

I just wonder what it is cboat was talking about.
Trying to scare people away ?
hinting at huge mysterious issues that were there at some point but wouldn't be there at launch. Eh, ok.

Awesome UI and like the 360, I expect it to heavily evolve on an annual basis.

Concern trolling about snap will have to get back burner'd for now :)

scsa

First time, genuinely impressed with the new Xbox. Part of the reason is that MS PR is nowhere is to be found along with these screens, videos etc. OS is looking quite slick.

daffy

Banned
Playing with the ui for awhile does not equal recommending buying a $500 system to any and everyone. Something is up.

Caayn

In this thread "nice gamerpics can sell you on a 499$ box".

kidding, I just had a quick look and I still don't know exactly what this thing can do, but from your comments it sounds great.

I just wonder what it is cboat was talking about.
Trying to scare people away ?
hinting at huge mysterious issues that were there at some point but wouldn't be there at launch. Eh, ok.
Dunno, very curious what CBOAT his point was for pointing out the obvious. I don't want to discredit him, his leaks are great. But the last just seemed to me like he was trying to scare people away.

Metro doesn't seem that popular with you guys, I've never understood the gripe with it. I think it looks clean, and clear. What I want, where I want it. If navigation with Kinect works as intended then I'm going to be a happy camper come the 22nd. I just wish this guy had a chance to go through some more before getting the ban hammer.
Don't put everyone on the same spot. I for One(pun intended) like metro ;)

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Metro doesn't seem that popular with you guys, I've never understood the gripe with it. I think it looks clean, and clear. What I want, where I want it. If navigation with Kinect works as intended then I'm going to be a happy camper come the 22nd. I just wish this guy had a chance to go through some more before getting the ban hammer.

Can't believe it took a premature delivery to a consumer to answer a lot of the questions we had about the UI. App snapping and possible lag would be a big deal to a lot of gamers. Good to know it currently seems seamless.

The Flash

Banned

I like Metro. In fact, I'm using it now.

mr_toa

All the recent positive reactions to UI demos should be a proof that kinect is an important part of the experience, and one on which MS would bet to convince people to buy their product. Without it, you basically have the same ergonomy as the 360 OS.

Sweet talker :p

Top Bottom