• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Closer look at the Xbox One from a user who got the console early

Caayn

To maintain aspect ratio. 16:9.
His/her point is why doesn't it adjust the ratio/scale the ratio accordingly to the screen space. In windows 8 the game scales depending on the space used for snap. It automatically adjust the aspect ratio. Like this for example:
UtdW.png
ODVg.png

There's a difference between "shitting" on something and telling the truth.
They came and told us about some problems which was backed up by some dev or some journalist (can't renember who exactly it was).However Cboat said, these problems might be gone until launch.

He never said anything about "don't buy this console", it was just to raise the awareness so people would be prepared, if these features wouldn't work.

So it looks like everything was worked out and the OS seems to work just fine, which is good.
However, just imagine that this features would have been broken at launch, the uproad would be bigger without the actual warning.

Hmmm.....the thing is.....from what we saw, both FM and the bird took to Twitter when their stuff was not solid enough to post on GAF and they are savvy enough to know it would have made it here without them having to post and thus risk anything. They circumvented the mods to spread what now looks like FUD.
CBOAT did not say "don't buy the system" but he did say something like - if people STILL want to buy the system after all that I've told them then I dunno- I take that to mean that his advice was to NOT buy the system at launch.
He did cover is behind but only slightly. They other two insiders did some shady stuff in my opinion.

BBboy20

Wow, that's fucking horrible. Talk about doing things BECAUSE WE CAN.
...you know, is there a stand-alone music player in the system? Seems like a total waste of space just to play music when it seems like a better idea to just have a horizontal bar that you can move around with that takes up non-important space (and maybe move and stretch with Kinect or something like that).

Omni

Does anyone know if a snapped app (like the music app) can be hidden so gameplay takes up the whole screen? I don't fancy playing a game using only two thirds of the screen.

Same goes for streaming on Twitch - I hope you can still have full screen play

Music, yes. No idea about twitch though... I would assume so.

sunofsam

His/her point is why doesn't it adjust the ratio/scale the ratio accordingly to the screen space. In windows 8 the game scales depending on the space used for snap. It automatically adjust the aspect ratio. Like this for example:

I get that; she asked why the black bars.

Has Microsoft mentioned whether they will allow games to restrict access to the Xbox Music app? Love the service and although I'm not going to play music over games with beautiful orchestral tracks but it'd be nice when playing a Puzzle game or something of that nature.

Pennywise

I don't want to bring a war to this thread, but he said something like that in his last pm:

Which wasn't part of the context about the problems with launch features.
It was his personal opinion about a concept that was shit from the beginning up until now, that might change in the future though.

However if you check his history you'll notice nearly zero negativity regarding the 360, that's based on the fact that the 360 almost had no problems apart from the rrod.

Besides, he never stated that people shouldn't buy it, it was more like he couldn't understand those, who still buy it after all the bullshit that happened.
And come on, that's not deniable...
He never said anything negative towards those who still made the decision for the X1.

Which wasn't part of the context about the problems with launch features.
It was his personal opinion about a concept that was shit from the beginning up until now, that might change in the future though.

However if you check his history you'll notice nearly zero negativity regarding the 360, that's based on the fact that the 360 almost had no problems apart from the rrod.

Besides, he never stated that people shouldn't buy it, it was more like he couldn't understand those, who still buy it after all the bullshit that happened.
And come on, that's not deniable...
He never said anything negative towards those who still made the decision for the X1.

sorry man but I got the impression he can't believe people buying XB1 after all he said, his "warnings". I felt he wasn't reccomending buying the console at all

Pennywise

Hmmm.....the thing is.....from what we saw, both FM and the bird took to Twitter when their stuff was not solid enough to post on GAF and they are savvy enough to know it would have made it here without them having to post and thus risk anything. They circumvented the mods to spread what now looks like FUD.
CBOAT did not say "don't buy the system" but he did say something like - if people STILL want to buy the system after all that I've told them then I dunno- I take that to mean that his advice was to NOT buy the system at launch.
He did cover is behind but only slightly. They other two insiders did some shady stuff in my opinion.
The tell you EVERYTIME to take it with a grain of salt, and say that these things might be gone until launch.
These rumours were backed up soon enough, and it's not Mortimers fault that people post his twitter messages here.
You might wanna adress your anger towards the mods who didn't close the specific thread which just showed something on twitter, but you don't know if it was verified even though it was just on twitter, maybe the mods heard something similar.

Sorry, but it's far from being Mortimers fault...

Moonlight and his xbox one died for us, but the info he posted was very helpful, at least we finally saw it in action , looked pretty good.

With the addition of ground war and looking better then current gen(of course) I'm dumping my copy of ghosts for the next gen copy.

Killer instinct hype growing

Pennywise

sorry man but I got the impression he can't believe people buying XB1 after all he said, his "warnings". I felt he wasn't reccomending buying the console at all

I'll agree with you overall, but not with the specific thread.
He clearly showed how much bullshit Microsoft did and who was responsible for it, however the Snap feature was never part of this "recommendation".

Besides, people are old enough to make their own choices.
He wasn't wrong with it, it was backed up by other people and he clearly said that these features are most likely gonna be working at launch.
So I can't really understand the anger here.

And I can clearly understand him regarding "people still buying and X1".
After all the bullshit that MS did, I wouldn't even give them a penny for now, of course they can redeem themselves.
For now, I can't understand anybody who is gonna buy an X1, that's my OWN opinion though and I'll accept and respect everyone else who got a different opinion.

And LOL!!!

CBOAT said that UI will probably be fixed until launch.

Bullseye! Move along!

Which makes me wonder the validity of these insiders. "It's utterly broken, but might be fixed by launch, or might not" is a pretty convenient insider truth to come out with. Considering how the update is already up and it's considerably less than a gigabyte, along with the timing of this supposed insider scoop about the UI and Snap that came out, what, two or three weeks ago? Makes me mighty skeptical of CBOAT and co. . I mean, c'mon, looking back, that UI and Snap rumor resulted in a big ol' internet shitstorm. Are these insiders actually focused on providing solid info, or is this just some entertaining pot-stirring for them?

Still hate the Metro interface but it looks good so far. It looks very well intergrated to the features. Maybe down the line ill pick one up.

Mr. X

Hopefully this guy's XBone is unbanned come launch day. It is not at all his fault for Target shipping his system out early, nor is he under a signed NDA or embargo of any sort like the press. I find the public being subjected to such practices from developers and the like to be very harmful.

Besides, he was saying great things, his honest impressions were better than anything MS hired staff was saying.

The tell you EVERYTIME to take it with a grain of salt, and say that these things might be gone until launch.
These rumours were backed up soon enough, and it's not Mortimers fault that people post his twitter messages here.
You might wanna adress your anger towards the mods who didn't close the specific thread which just showed something on twitter, but you don't know if it was verified even though it was just on twitter, maybe the mods heard something similar.

Sorry, but it's far from being Mortimers fault...

I'm not angry, I'm not trying to spew any vitriol sorry if it seems that I am. I'm making an observation based on what I've been reading the last week or so.

Their tweets did not say to take anything with a grain of salt. The bird tweeted something and and FM followed up by saying everything was true. They both had the same source and they were wrong it appears.
My biggest problem is that in talking about a non story -- software not ready before launch -- they became the story. I'm not sure what the agenda was. Was it to inform the gaming public? Because then you need to really really sure that it's true. Was it just musing? Because then you should preface it. Was it to be the first out to say something because the journalists were under embargo? The quest to be first should not come before the quest to be accurate.

I'll agree with you overall, but not with the specific thread.
He clearly showed how much bullshit Microsoft did and who was responsible for it, however the Snap feature was never part of this "recommendation".

Besides, people are old enough to make their own choices.
He wasn't wrong with it, it was backed up by other people and he clearly said that these features are most likely gonna be working at launch.
So I can't really understand the anger here.

And I can clearly understand him regarding "people still buying and X1".
After all the bullshit that MS did, I wouldn't even give them a penny for now, of course they can redeem themselves.
For now, I can't understand anybody who is gonna buy an X1, that's my OWN opinion though and I'll accept and respect everyone else who got a different opinion.

the thing is you shouldn't question other people actions/choices, and he lead many to do so because of this "leaks", when he could be wrong, as he has been with some of his leaks.

and I'd like to tell you you should understand theres people interested in getting XB1 because of many facts: OS, media features, online features, friends, and especially games, GAMES that's why I and many people in gaf (all of us I hope) buy a console for. there are interesting games, and that's what lead people to buy it at launch.

I agree with you, everyone have their opinion, but let's be honest here, it's not hard to understand people buying an XB1

Spasm

Which makes me wonder the validity of these insiders. "It's utterly broken, but might be fixed by launch, or might not" is a pretty convenient insider truth to come out with. Considering how the update is already up and it's considerably less than a gigabyte, along with the timing of this supposed insider scoop about the UI and Snap that came out, what, two or three weeks ago? Makes me mighty skeptical of CBOAT and co. . I mean, c'mon, looking back, that UI and Snap rumor resulted in a big ol' internet shitstorm. Are these insiders actually focused on providing solid info, or is this just some entertaining pot-stirring for them?
john-edwardliiq9.jpg

"I'm sensing... I'm sensing a "B." Does anyone in the audience have a deceased relative whose name starts with B?"

eso76

That is from his PVR equipment not the system capture although he did say the system capture was the only thing about the system he found disappointing.

he said it was choppy. Not surprised since he was capturing a 60fps game (DVR is 30fps)

I love the layout of the UI and I especially love the use of color. It makes the dash look "fun". Right now, I'm not digging Sony's all blue dash even if Blue is my favorite color. I know it ties into Sony's branding strategy across its product line but they need to add some variety to the scheme. Although I'm sure both UI's will look radically different by the end of the gen.

G17

I don't think CBOAT's validity should be in question after all he has posted since 2005 with the 360 launch..

That said, CBOAT never made a big deal out of the OS issues, he only really responded after famousmortimer made a blogpost about it after talking with developers.

Ricker

So everything is in the color you choose except the stupid Skype that stays light blue....? ruins the entire look lol...

Looks pretty awesome overall though.

This guy did more positive news for the Xbox than MS could hope for so it's a shame that he's banned. Glad to hear the OS is responsive although I don't think his comment about his buddy being able to use Kinect voice commands over Skype is necessarily a good thing considering how that's not supposed to happen but thank God for the confirmation screen I guess.

I don't know why I always enjoy something as trivial as free gamerpics but I do. :D

Probably just some algorithm kicked in and banned him, hopefully MS will un-ban him at the launch date. That would be easy to do and be some good PR.

Anyway, this looks great (and finished haha). I have a much better feeling about this machine now.

TheCloser

Banned
Honestly, something about this whole incident stinks. It smells like PR to me. Please forgive me as I haven't been following this but how does target make such a mistake. Honestly, they don't ship out items one by one. They ship in batches. Where are the other users. Sorry, like I said again, I haven't been following this incident.

JaggedSac

That does stink that he got banned. It doesn't appear there was wrong doing. I salute you sir, for bringing some good info to the table. Good to hear stuff is performing great.

Honestly, something about this whole incident stinks. It smells like PR to me. Please forgive me as I haven't been following this but how does target make such a mistake. Honestly, they don't ship out items one by one. They ship in batches. Where are the other users. Sorry, like I said again, I haven't been following this incident.

If it was PR what would stink about it?

Many people are interested in seeing the system in the wild, both systems for that matter.
I wish someone got the PS4 "early" :)

Why did he get banned? He was doing Microsoft a great service but showing what we've been dying to see for some time now. Sucks but hopefully he is forgiven come launch.

Honestly? Probably a bit of both. I think "informing" the consumer is very low down on their lists.

Makes for entertaining reading though, actually interesting too. I will still tend to believe CBOAT, others I will be more skeptical of.

Speaking of bans.....

Let's not start a witch hunt. It was obvious when the first snap videos starts to appear a couple of weeks ago that thuway had passed on potentially old information....the real question now is the info that famous shared regarding XBL being broken and potentially won't be fixed for months....

He was online the entire time but it wasn't up for Ghosts(so he did a bot match) and he didn't dl KI which was the only game up for it, so nothing on that yet. He did send a message to someone on the 360 but that's about it.

Okay, thanks. I guess we'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks anyway, but it's nice to have at least some info regarding how the console is shaping up in its final form...

smr00

Banned
Wait why was the guy banned? Because target goofed up? If so that's pretty messed up.

Also, not gonna lie.. That UI is pretty sexy.

Birathen

I hope the console works as intended when released and the ass storm passes by. If things works as shown in the vids it looks like a fun box. Will get, laters, with kinect :)

Yeah seems like PR to me as well. But either way, information is information and it is nice to finally see some details.

how can this be PR if the guy got the console banned? don't be so paranoid. some guy received his PS4 preorder from Amazon a few days back and I can't recall anyone saying it was PR

aravuus

john-edwardliiq9.jpg

"I'm sensing... I'm sensing a "B." Does anyone in the audience have a deceased relative whose name starts with B?"

Not sure if serious.

Love the witch hunt, you hear something positive about the Xbone and half of the replies are more about crucifying the insiders rather than being happy their console of choice seems to work :lol

Looking at the gamerpics, I've picked at least a dozen that are in the running to replace my current pic.

A pretty great selection compared to the meagre offerings on 360...

Pennywise

the thing is you shouldn't question other people actions/choices, and he lead many to do so because of this "leaks", when he could be wrong, as he has been with some of his leaks.

and I'd like to tell you you should understand theres people interested in getting XB1 because of many facts: OS, media features, online features, friends, and especially games, GAMES that's why I and many people in gaf (all of us I hope) buy a console for. there are interesting games, and that's what lead people to buy it at launch.

I agree with you, everyone have their opinion, but let's be honest here, it's not hard to understand people buying an XB1

Where he was wrong, it wasn't a reason to skip a preorder (Prince of Persia).
I can clearly understand people who got no problem with the X1, as I said, I wouldn't give them any money at the moment.

Just imagine Cboat would have been here with the rrod, people would be so grateful if there would have been someone who warned them to avoid this shit.
Even though Microsoft handled it well, people would have appreciate it.

Enjoy your games, I'll hope everyone works out just fine and Microsoft can redeem themselves.

Top Bottom