• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. (IntSys 3DS) Assets (Box, Screens)

Seik

Banned
They went from anime style to a generic 3rd party shovelware subpar US anime style.
Seems like a huge downgrade to me.

Yeah...yeah, that's exactly, precisely how I felt about that style.

When devs talked about their inspirations I got all hyped up, then they showed it and man, the let down.

Not impressed by the art, but I'm sure the gameplay will be ace. I'm looking forward to Treehouse demo. I think Nintendo is really smart in hosting these events to give us a look at the gameplay in-depth.

I'm excited for the game, and excited that it's new, but this art style is disappointing. Let's hope it looks better in motion (3DS games generally do).

Said it in the other thread and I'm gonna say it again, in-game screens don't make this look any uglier than Borderlands, and people ate that shit up despite it being a game that offers nothing but being a shooter with loot that doesn't do either worth a damn.

I completely disagree. I thought Borderlands had some really nice art direction, and this game's art gives the impression of shovelware, whether or not it actually is.

Tom_Cody

They went from generic anime to a style not often seen in video games?

Seems like a step up to me.
il1NREjEMOUnd.gif

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
glad I reserved judgment until after video. visual style works beautifully in motion so far. the have beautifully captured the essence of American comic books.

will further wait for gameplay to make a final call, but so far it looks gorgeous.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
aaannnndd here's gameplay. yup that about cinches it. looks gorgeous and seems extremely refreshing for a strategy title. developed by IS to boot? day 1.

My only issue with the art direction was that during the roundtable yesterday the art director said they were inspired by Jack Kirby and Bruce Timm's character designs. And so I had imagined something similar to flamboyent costumed heroes -- a more western Wonderful 101 look, I suppose. When I heard there was a character called "The Lion" I immediately pictured Kraven from Spider-Man.

So I'm a little disappointed from that point of view.

My only issue with the art direction was that during the roundtable yesterday the art director said they were inspired by Jack Kirby and Bruce Timm's character designs. And so I had imagined something similar to flamboyent costumed heroes -- a more western Wonderful 101 look, I suppose. When I heard there was a character called "The Lion" I immediately pictured Kraven from Spider-Man.

So I'm a little disappointed from that point of view.

This, if they wanted that style, they should've hired somebody who could master that kind of style like Bruce Timm. This just looks awkward and amateurish and best in terms of the art style. Music and gameplay looks fantastic though.

Reposting this from reveal thread

Game is on treehouse live
Female character and main character are meh, but the aliens, lion, and john are all fantastic imo

This game might benefit from some smash 3ds outlines, John and lion have some of it and they look fantastic.

I have a feeling this game will look good in 3D
Gameplay just looks fantastic all around
Online multiplayer will be a blast

IT's like the X effect, first showing somehwat deflates hype, then treehouse lighs back on fire
GAme looks amazing right now

I have an idea for this game, sentries and turrets and cameras or things of that nature
Would be pretty great imo

So much for no comic book style. Cutscenes capture that style really nice

Game looks much better in motion, I think they should use even more of the thickish outlines, lion and john look great because of it
Female character growing on me too

starmud

a new IP is awesome, but taking a new IP in this genre vein is also risky. its also western catered, im not sure how this presentation and packaging will sell in japan. it comes off like a game with a roof to its potential.... or at the least predicable sales.

if nothing else, its showing that nintendo is green lighting new ideas.

I believe the people saying that it's inspired by American comics. But that American comic book style doesn't really appeal to me.

There are all sorts of ways to mix popular Japanese and American art styles.

I like many American cartoons. And I like a lot of American cartoon styles mixed with anime. Like the style in Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt or Pop'n Music.

And I really like Splatoon and how its artstyle looks. It looks kind of like a popular Japanese anime or moe or some kind of style like that, and some American cartoons. And I really like the way that looks.

But S.T.E.A.M. doesn't really appeal to me.

Top Bottom