• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. (IntSys 3DS) Assets (Box, Screens)

The page is now up on Nintendo's website and it has some info listed. I know they mentioned multiplayer yesterday, but given what they demoed I assumed it could be 1v1 mp, however the site mentions 1-4 players. I found this worth mentioning, could be cool.

It looked better than the screens, but... eh.

Still, super excited for this game. Intelligent Systems can do no wrong.

I think that too, even if I would have prefer other art style. I really want to see Intelligent Systems more bizarre concepts like that John Carter's Fire Emblem pitch that thought before Awekening.

Toxi

Banned
The designs actually remind me of modern flash cartoons. So kinda a weird mixture of retro and modern stylings.
il1NREjEMOUnd.gif
Not sure what the deal is. The art style in that image seems generic among anime to me. I'm sure some people like it, but it doesn't look nearly as distinctive as, say, the art used for Nippon Ichi's games like Disgaea.

The designs actually remind me of modern flash cartoons. So kinda a weird mixture of retro and modern stylings.

Not sure what the deal is. The art style in that image seems generic among anime to me. I'm sure some people like it, but it doesn't look nearly as distinctive as, say, the art used for Nippon Ichi's games like Disgaea.

Many would argue that the Disgaea art style has lost some of that distinctive part in recent anime/manga trends.

Also, the artist of FEA did the characters designs of No More Heroes games...

I would have preferred a more anime-esque art style (Similar to Valkyria Chronicles), but I've never disliked a game that Intelligent Systems made. I'll be keeping tabs on this one.

I think I truly just want more Valkyria..

johnsmith

remember me
This is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. If they had gotten a talented Japanese artist to do the designs like recent Fire Emblems or Valkyrie Chronicles I'd get this day one. As it is I might pass unless the reviews are amazing.

Vibranium

Banned
Hmm, not too sure about this one either haha. I feel crappy for getting hyped over Steampunk and Mignola, but hey, it may turn out to be great and I'll get it later!

There's always Advance Wars and Fire Emblem to wait for of course.

Sitrus

Gameplay looks great to me, it's IS after all. The problem for me is not the graphics, it's the art style which I think looks like those in cheap mobile phone games. Only going to buy it if it's either cheap or gets really good reviews (and I am not sure about too).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
still not sure about characters, but I like the aliens, the technology, the voice over, the music and the gameplay is amazing

I just watched the footage. 10/10. I'm going to buy this multiple times just to make sure my friends have it. It looks like XCom (My second favorite turn based game on Steam next to Civ) married X-Men and had a Valkyrie Chronicles baby. I love everything about it. Not sure why people don't like the art because I love the art. I wish a Wii U version of this were coming as well.

I completely disagree. I thought Borderlands had some really nice art direction, and this game's art gives the impression of shovelware, whether or not it actually is.

Borderlands had a better style I think, but we'll have to disagree on the direction. The art direction in both seem roughly the same to me - inconsistent and unconsidered. They both look like lazy shovelware to me. But what I disliked about Borderlands wasn't aesthetic anyway.

Tom_Cody

I guess these things are inherently subjective.

I just personally really like the designs in FE:A.

starmud

theres a nintendo person demo'ing steam on IGN who is giving the game a good pitch and where its motive came from in creation. gregg is actually asking somewhat good questions...

Firemind

This. THIS got greenlighted instead of Advance Wars 3DS? I'm not asking for F-Zero 1080p 60fps here.

3DS is dead in 2015. Dead.

Totakeke

This. THIS got greenlighted instead of Advance Wars 3DS? I'm not asking for F-Zero 1080p 60fps here.

Oh stop with the hyperbole. Wii U was dead before the E3 and some can argue it's still dead now. They can unveil games whenever they want.

So dead it's getting a new SRPG IP from one of the best SRPG devs in the business, yep.

I mean, I think the successor will be unveiled next year and all, but come on now.

Daingurse

The gameplay does look quite good. This is essentially Valkyria Chronicles, so that right away is good. However, I still don't dig the game aesthetically, at all. I'll probably buy it.

Very interested in this game. Getting X-Com/Incubation vibes, with Freedom Force's art.
The character designs remind me of mid 90's action figures based on cartoons/comics. I think the art is fine, but the translation to 3D leaves a bit to desired and the environments look rather bland.
I'm sure the gameplay will be top notch.

This is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. If they had gotten a talented Japanese artist to do the designs like recent Fire Emblems or Valkyrie Chronicles I'd get this day one. As it is I might pass unless the reviews are amazing.

The art for this game was done by a talented Japanese artist.

FirLocke

I think it looks quite good! Much better in motion than in screens. If they went for an iconic look for the characters, I think they got it. I think the aliens do look quite generic though. Love the design of the menus, makes everything look heavy and clunky like Steam punk should. It sounds great too.

Colour me intrigued!

RM8

Can someone explain the gameplay to me? I read "IntSys SRPG" I think of something like Fire Emblem or Advance Wars. Yet gameplay looks not entirely turn based and I don't really know what's going on, lol.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Can someone explain the gameplay to me? I ready "IntSys SRPG" I think of something like Fire Emblem or Advance Wars. Yet gameplay looks not entirely turn based and I don't really know what's going on, lol.

It's like Valkyria Chronicles. Instead of moving characters on a grid, you're controlling them like its a third person shooter when it's their turn. You have a STEAM gauge that determines how far your character can move, what actions they can make etc. It's still turn-based though. It also has some X-COM-esque mechanics, like the inclusion of Overwatch. Setting a character into Overwatch means that if a character moves into their line of sight, the 'overwatched' unit will open fire.

RM8

It's like Valkyria Chronicles. Instead of moving characters on a grid, you're controlling them like its a third person shooter when it's their turn. You have a STEAM gauge that determines how far your character can move, what actions they can make etc. It's still turn-based though. It also has some X-COM-esque mechanics, like the inclusion of Overwatch. Setting a character into Overwatch means that if a character moves into their line of sight, the 'overwatched' unit will open fire.
Ah, I see. Eh, doesn't sound bad at all, I'm sure Intelligent Systems can pull this off. Thanks!

Kater

Banned
So, after playing Fire Emblem Awakening today I realized that this is exactly the game they should go for. Instead of only seeing your fighters in cutscenes you can follow them all the time in 3D. That's probably much more engaging than having pixel creatures for the most of the time on your screen and only seeing the 3D models in the fighting scenes.
My hope is that the developers at IntSys think about taking the ideas from S.T.E.A.M. and try to implement that more action oriented style in the next Fire Emblem/Advance Wars game.

What problems I have with the way the game looks are due to the hardware, rather than the artstyle. Use this art for a game on Wii U and it would look fantastic. Here they are trying to convey a lot of information and a distinctive style on a low-res screen...just looks cluttered.

That said, I don't think it looks ugly by any means, just a little disappointing. I'll still be on this Day One.

Daschysta

So, after playing Fire Emblem Awakening today I realized that this is exactly the game they should go for. Instead of only seeing your fighters in cutscenes you can follow them all the time in 3D. That's probably much more engaging than having pixel creatures for the most of the time on your screen and only seeing the 3D models in the fighting scenes.
My hope is that the developers at IntSys think about taking the ideas from S.T.E.A.M. and try to implement that more action oriented style in the next Fire Emblem/Advance Wars game.
No.

This is pretty much a completely different genre. Which is why it's awesome that this is a thing. Grid based is what makes fire emblem and aw what they are. You can have the same thing with polygons like POR and RD, but beyond that there is absolutely to reason to mess with the formula,

Top Bottom