• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. (IntSys 3DS) Assets (Box, Screens)

clemenx

Banned
Jesus, the number of people saying they'd have preferred a freaking remake over something original is depressing.

Concept sounds great and 3DS screens are the most useless thing ever. I dig the cover art.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's not like Majora 3D isn't coming we all know that's in the pipeline. All Grezzo have released since OOT3D is Flower Town.

It might even come out this year, they are just saving a few announcements for later in the summer.

Raitaro

Certainly didn't expect this, that's for sure. Not really sure what to think of it right now though. I do generally trust in Intelligent Systems; they've earned that wait and see approach at least.

And not to bring up this dead horse again, but I do get why people complain when a game like this is announced over a new Metroid, F-Zero or Mother collection.

Yes, it is hypocritical to blame Nintendo for releasing the same IP's like Mario and Zelda time after time, to then dismiss this new IP as soon as it is announced. BUT, at the same time it is also understandeable that even though people might be tired of Mario and Zelda, they at the same time could be craving the return of other older IP's that are generally ignored (again: Metroid or F-Zero, but also Kid Icarus and Star Fox).

Ideally, Nintendo would fill its releases equally with new games in mainstay series, frequent new IP's AND frequent returns / reboots of older IP's that fans care about. It is that third category that older Nintendo fans in particular care about the most and which is generally ignored by Nintendo the most (hence the build up of hope and hype each time and then disappointment if an announcement again turns out to be a new mainstay IP or completely new IP that will take time to grow on people).

This E3, Nintendo is (imo) showing that they do understand their fanbase, more so than the last few years at least. Fingers crossed then that they will find ways to cater to all of their fans in the future by mixing up their releases and frequently returning to IP's that go back to their roots as game makers.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
looking at them on the PC monitor at work, I am ok with the art style, tbh gameplay is king for me, and I have faith it will deliver. the next 3DS GoTY, I am calling it.

Chunky

I'm surprised at the reaction to this. Not that people can't have their opinions, but I think it looks really cool. As far as the graphics go, it looks like a 3DS game. Surely we've all come to realise what a 3DS game looks like in stills on a computer by this point?

I'm surprised at the reaction to this. Not that people can't have their opinions, but I think it looks really cool. As far as the graphics go, it looks like a 3DS game. Surely we've all come to realise what a 3DS game looks like in stills on a computer by this point?

People are talking about the design.

Looks like Kirby to me.

Sandman1.jpg

newgods03.jpg

Kamandi-The-Last-Boy-On-Earth-2_Kirby.jpg

Huh, the team reminds me a bit of the Forever People

FOREVERPEOPLE01P0111.jpg

It REALLY looks like forever people!
I remember having to look for things about them when I was workung on DC Scribblenauts, so we could draw them.
Yep, the jack kirby incluence is strong.
The opnly thing I dont really like right now are the weapons.

If i looked at that boxart without the knowledge that it is a Nintendo game made by IS, I would have completely ignored it as a shitty generic 3rd party game.

If i looked at that boxart without the knowledge that it is a Nintendo game made by IS, I would have completely ignored it as a shitty generic 3rd party game.

That's exactly the problem. :/
Why does it have to look so bad ? I mean it's an IS game so I want to play it, but how can we end up with such a generic shovelware design ?

Neff

Not really feeling this, but then I've never sat easy with strategy role players not called Final Fantasy Tactics. Give a new action game IP, then great, but I'd take something more traditional over this.

It's not like Majora 3D isn't coming we all know that's in the pipeline. All Grezzo have released since OOT3D is Flower Town.

It might even come out this year, they are just saving a few announcements for later in the summer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aonuma is borrowing Grezzo and possibly Monolith stragglers again for Zelda U at this point. Zelda U already looks like it could be the biggest production in Nintendo history.

On the cover art I'm partly in the "Okay. I'll buy it on eShop" *runs away crying* camp.

I kind of get it is going for comic book bit of pop-art look but it just seems oversaturated and an eyesore as a result.

Porcile

The main character on the box is total cheese, but the screens look fine. I'm not understanding hate here. I'm looking forward to seeing a trailer, as I know absolutely nothing about this.

Owensboro

+ Intelligent Systems
+ SRPG that draws inspiration from Valkyria Chronicles, but will be more of a "shooter" (hrm).
+ The art style reminds me of Freedom Force. HELL YES.

I'm goddamn in. Can't wait to see the polish / changes over the next year + of development.

Echoing the general sentiment, it looks like hot butt. Developer has me on board but I don't know if I want to look at a game that looks like this for more than 5 minutes

bedlamite

Critiquing the box art, of all things? A few of the other comments in this thread make me want to throw my computer out the window

It's an Intelligent Systems game, I'm there day one.

Critiquing the box art, of all things? A few of the other comments in this thread make me want to throw my computer out the window

I played every Fire Emblem and Advanced Wars game, I LOVE IS.

But the artstyle in the Box AND in game is eye straining.

I'm sure the gameplay will be fantastic, but yeah the look is pretty bad. Honestly, the lack of technical power of the 3DS is really starting to catch up to the system.

Yeah, its really sad how a few still screenshots managed to completely destroy the wave of hype people were having last night. Hopefully the gameplay that's coming later today will change a lot of minds.

I personally don't get why people think it looks like shit, I think its cool that a Japanese developer can produce a western pulp comic artstyle so well. Not everything has to look like Fire Emblem, people.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
could this reference a war of the world's type level??

OMG imagine with that theme tune(sound alike aka from Jeff Wayne)

yesssssssss

Joqu

People don't like the box art? I thought you guys were criticizing the graphics on a technical level, not the artstyle. I like it. :(

Hindl

Looks fine to me. It's on the 3DS I wasn't expecting anything mind-blowing. Plus we need to see it in motion. But I still don't really care about the graphics, they work for the game. Plus, it sounds like such a cool gameplay idea

Nintendo fans: "We want a new IP"
*Code Name gets announced*
Nintendo fans: "It looks ugly! WHERE WAS MAJORA'S MASK HD?
*Game gets announced in January*
Nintendo fans: "Another remake? Nintendo needs new games"

... It is like an endless cycle!

It's annoying as hell... As a nintendo fan, I am glad to see Nintendo working on new hardcore game ideas and IPs. People need to wait for the treehouse today and see this game in motion. It will probably look fine..

Game instantly wins due to resemblance to Freedom Force.

I'm glad it's a new IP too. I hope this somehow becomes a huge hit and then gets a call-up to the Wii U in a future installment.

...I still hope we get Metroid/Majora's Mask/etc on 3DS soon, though.

RPGCrazied

That is the official name? That's weird. Also I like the idea, but the screenshots just don't look all that to me, looks kinda like an iOS/Facebook game. I'll still watch the demo today though before making final judgement.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's Valkyria Chronicles-like, I don't give a damn how it looks like. Just give me more Valkyria Chronicles.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I think there's a lot of peeved people in here stripping because this game wasn't Metroid or Majora's Mask or Mother.

That's part it as I was hoping for a new Metroid.

But I also hate SRPGs, even lite ones like Advance Wars. So this continues the trend of new Nintendo developed or funded IPs being things like this or W101 etc. that are genres/styles of games that I just don't like.

I grew up on Nintendo, but given that trend, that I'm super burnt out in Mario and Zelda, and that they ignore IP like Metroid that I still enjoy I just need to finally accept that Nintendo just isn't for me anymore and let go of the nostalgia I guess.

Certainly didn't expect this, that's for sure. Not really sure what to think of it right now though. I do generally trust in Intelligent Systems; they've earned that wait and see approach at least.

And not to bring up this dead horse again, but I do get why people complain when a game like this is announced over a new Metroid, F-Zero or Mother collection.

Yes, it is hypocritical to blame Nintendo for releasing the same IP's like Mario and Zelda time after time, to then dismiss this new IP as soon as it is announced. BUT, at the same time it is also understandeable that even though people might be tired of Mario and Zelda, they at the same time could be craving the return of other older IP's that are generally ignored (again: Metroid or F-Zero, but also Kid Icarus and Star Fox).

Ideally, Nintendo would fill its releases equally with new games in mainstay series, frequent new IP's AND frequent returns / reboots of older IP's that fans care about. It is that third category that older Nintendo fans in particular care about the most and which is generally ignored by Nintendo the most (hence the build up of hope and hype each time and then disappointment if an announcement again turns out to be a new mainstay IP or completely new IP that will take time to grow on people).

This E3, Nintendo is (imo) showing that they do understand their fanbase, more so than the last few years at least. Fingers crossed then that they will find ways to cater to all of their fans in the future by mixing up their releases and frequently returning to IP's that go back to their roots as game makers.

And Star Fox is coming next year. I definitely agree with you about Metroid and F Zero though, the Wii U is crying out for those right now.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
said it last night... I have to see it in motion. my biggest problem with the art style is it isn't what I WAS imagining. With that being said, if it works in motion I'm all for it.

beyond the art, everything else sounded incredible.

Zarovitch

said it last night... I have to see it in motion. my biggest problem with the art style is it isn't what I WAS imagining. With that being said, if it works in motion I'm all for it.

This for me too.

Yeah...I feel like people heard the words HP Lovecraft and steampunk and strategy shooter and then imagined something gritty and dark, and then completely ignored the parts where they said it was based on Jack Kirby and Mike Mignola.

zeromcd73

Splatoon looks awesome and is a new IP. This just doesn't look appealing to me regardless.

Top Bottom