• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemasters just announced Dirt 4

Freeman76

Build upon the success of Dirt Rally is all the developer had to do, but no, as per they go and fuck it all up to accommodate their vision of what casual gamers want,

The handling looks shocking, bumper cars for the funnies, randomly generated tracks for what reason exactly? the whole point is to memorize and perfect a tracks corners.........

I hope this is Codemasters Forza Horizon and the sim-like is next year. Please God.

You have Dirt Rally for this, I dont know what you expect? I mean, what more could they do with that game, apart from more tracks and cars....it would be the same experience.

They havent fucked anything up, Dirt Rally is a one off and they have implemented parts of it into the new one anyway.

drotahorror

Personally I like the track idea of generating them on the fly. If you want to go back and perfect a track and learn the ins and outs you're more than welcome to do so. Nothing is stopping you from doing that.

Makikou

From what I've seen so far in various community member gameplays.. it's not looking good.

The stages seem incredibly unnatural and dull. Seeing repetition already in the first 2 stages I've seen and it looks like you could actually learn to tell what kind of corner sequence is coming up from how the corner entry is laid out.

Should have just stick doing actual real stages.

Game is only $40 @ amazon on PS4/XB1. Not sure why it's $60 on steam though. I preordered on steam but I'm a bit annoyed that it's so much cheaper, physically, on consoles.
I don't think you understand whats going on. Dirt 4 is $59.99 on Amazon for consoles.

If you have Amazon Prime and get the PHYSICAL copy, then you get it for $43 like ALL new physical games on Prime. It's how they compete with Gamer's Club unlocked and the like.

Bedlam

From what I've seen so far in various community member gameplays.. it's not looking good.

The stages seem incredibly unnatural and dull. Seeing repetition already in the first 2 stages I've seen and it looks like you could actually learn to tell what kind of corner sequence is coming up from how the corner entry is laid out.

This is my biggest fear actually.

I recently replayed Dirt 1 again and I always loved its stage design (minus the slightly too wide tracks). Especially comparing the Australia tracks, I think that what I have seen of Dirt 4 looks like it does not have nearly as much character.

I'm still going to buy Dirt 4 but I definitely have a feeling that its not the same people working on the stages as during the Dirt 1-3 period.

Just watch these two examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWFTbD8a7BA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhfStouKJwc

This game is ten years old and the stages often look better than in Dirt Rally and 4. Sure, the latter two games are now also 60 fps on consoles but we also have more powerful hardware. I think a lot of the natural look of the stages from the games before Dirt is simply due to craftsmanship and an eye for natural landscapes.

drotahorror

I don't think you understand whats going on. Dirt 4 is $59.99 on Amazon for consoles.

If you have Amazon Prime and get the PHYSICAL copy, then you get it for $43 like ALL new physical games on Prime. It's how they compete with Gamer's Club unlocked and the like.

Uh no.

Games are typically 20% off on amazon prime.

My Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn receipts

kXj7rS6.png
zvaUF91.png

Tekken 7 comes out tomorrow (prime price - $47.99, as per every $60 title)

DiRT 4 (no prime price, just $40 and some change)

And just to get a bit more strange, without me being signed into amazon with Tekken 7 and Dirt 4 added to my cart

So no, a 33% off MSRP for DiRT 4 is not normal. Also the game is $40 on PS4 without being a prime member.

New games should be $47.99 if it's a $60 release. Has been for a while now.

Tinúviel

On German Amazon it's 70 Euros. That's almost double the US price.

Dirt 4 prices is all over the place,on PS4 my local price translates into 59$ but on steam same Dirt 4 costs only 25$ for me.I want to buy it for PS4 but the difference is huge.Also PSN makes crazy discounts really fast i'm pretty sure Dirt 4 will go on sale in a month or so.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

T hats a lot to take away from watchinh gameplay - I'm impressed. Especially since those actually playing it have not made the same comment.

T hats a lot to take away from watchinh gameplay - I'm impressed. Especially since those actually playing it have not made the same comment.
Makikou is someone who understands driving physics and really knows his racing games ...and he liked DiRT Rally. I trust his opinion more than any pre-embargo coverage. But I too hope he's wrong, just 10 great cars, good asphalt physics and one good highway emvironment with endless variations might make this worth it for me at 40 bucks.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I don't know, I've read some pretty glowing opinions by people who are already playing it, by some who are much better rally drivers than me too. That said though I will admit that in a few videos I've watched I've also noticed some repetition in the generated track layouts, it seems to really stick out during the replays to me, but I'm not cetain yet how common that will be.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Makikou is someone who understands driving physics and really knows his racing games ...and he liked DiRT Rally. I trust his opinion more than any pre-embargo coverage. But I too hope he's wrong, just 10 great cars, good asphalt physics and one good highway emvironment with endless variations might make this worth it for me at 40 bucks.

I'm not questioning his knowledge of the genre, just calling bullshit on his take away from watching gameplay. It seems like quite a stretch to be able to pull that out from observing God knows what.

TheRed

Idk why I pre-ordered this. I don't think I can go back to driving games not in VR. Man I thought for sure after Dirt Rally that their next game would have VR support too. Hope it wins me over though aside from that I guess.

Lima

Pre-ordered this basically because it was so cheap on the Argentinian Xbox store that I couldn't pass it up. Plus a new Dirt game so soon is not bad.

drotahorror

Alan of Team VVV puts out great videos and has hardly any subscribers in comparison to this guy who has 1.5 million subscribers and is mind numbing. Go figure as I cannot.

The guy's (slap) a tool but he does generate interest in the racing scene and I can appreciate that. All of Team VVV puts out good videos imo.

Fox Mulder

Kinda hate videos like this where the players are so giddy for getting an early copy from CM and it permeates the video. I'll wait for 'real' impressions.

Well that's why they give copies to certain youtubers really. Theyre positive for anything and get a bump in views. Theyre a different audience anyways and might play it a few times on the channel.

Watched a video where the guy is talking the whole time while driving and turned off the co driver. Drove like shit and still easily won races.

DD

Well that's why they give copies to certain youtubers really. Theyre positive for anything and get a bump in views. Theyre a different audience anyways and might play it a few times on the channel.

Watched a video where the guy is talking the whole time while driving and turned off the co driver. Drove like shit and still easily won races.
What was the level of the AI?

danowat

Banned
So I have been watching a few videos on youtube of D4, am I the only one who gets the overriding feeling that D4 is just DR v2?

Tinúviel;238915734 said:
Dirt 4 prices is all over the place,on PS4 my local price translates into 59$ but on steam same Dirt 4 costs only 25$ for me.I want to buy it for PS4 but the difference is huge.Also PSN makes crazy discounts really fast i'm pretty sure Dirt 4 will go on sale in a month or so.
My i5 with GTX660 is basically like a standard PS4 with better CPU so I think I'll buy the game from cdkeys instead for PS4...

So I have been watching a few videos on youtube of D4, am I the only one who gets the overriding feeling that D4 is just DR v2?
Dirt Rally with unlimited tracks...what more could you wish for?

Just hope the generated tracks do really vary a lot and look and feel convincingly real.

Also looking forward to at least 3 more rally countries, preferrably all gravel or maybe one with sand.

danowat

Banned
Dirt Rally with unlimited tracks...what more could you wish for?

Just hope the generated tracks do really vary a lot and look and feel convincingly real.

Also looking forward to at least 3 more rally countries, preferrably all gravel or maybe one with sand.

Could it not have just been paid DLC for DR?

But yeah, that option it could be the holy grail of rally games, but it depends on the results like you say.

Gek54

Slaptrain and GameRiot are putting up some terrible runs bouncing all over the stages with multiple spins and still are over a minute faster than the AI and both claim they are playing on the hardest difficulty.

https://youtu.be/QwJC1ffHAPA

Where's the challenge?

Hakkelus

Slaptrain and GameRiot are putting up some terrible runs bouncing all over the stages with multiple spins and still are over a minute faster than the AI and both claim they are playing on the hardest difficulty.

Where's the challenge?

Well, if it's like Dirt Rally the beginning of the career is super easy and gets progressively more difficult as you go on.

Sini

Where's the challenge?
Hardest difficulty isn't even unlocked from the start afaik and I've seen stream of someone competent playing against second hardest difficulty opponents and barely finishing first couple times. When he crashed he'd finish at around 10th place.
So it could be that ymmv, or they're just lying.

drotahorror

Yeah I've seen competent people playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty (the hardest one that's unlocked from the start) and they're getting 3-5th place.

I always drive the best I can in a championship, it almost never makes sense to drive overly careful or to push super hard... so if I always get Top3, I wouldn't have so much less fun, but I'm sure the hardest 2 difficulties will offer plenty of challenge.

If the track generator is actually not readable (like "ah, she said xyz, so it'll be this corner combination"), then the daily community challenges could be amazing fun.

Something else: On sim handling... is it just me or do the braking distances seem really short on both tarmac and gravel??!

U2NUMB

Already had it pre ordered digitally on my X1.. noticed it was only $40 on amazon for the PS4 version so already double dipped.. hope its good!

DD

AI was never an issue in Codemasters games (actually, they're one of the best in that area), so I won't get worried about it now, specially because the game wasn't even released yet, so if there's currently a problem, they'll surely fix it with a patch. In Codies I trust. :3

Fox Mulder

Must be, but I haven't been able to find it published anywhere. Strange, considering they sent the full game out to youtubers over a week early.

YouTubers aren't really critical though, and they don't make scores that influence a meta critic rating.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm looking forward to the reviews too as I'm eager to buy DR4 but waiting to make sure it's better for me than DiRT Rally already is. I'm also waiting to see if the PC version has Denuvo DRM on it or not.

Top Bottom