• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemasters just announced Dirt 4

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Are all rally tracks in the career unique? I'm a game with a random track generator as good as this is it would seem silly if they didn't hand pick some for a non-repeating career mode.

LOOKS good. I remember being so let down by the last dirt game I tried, it was either Dirt 2 or 3.

So, so limited, compared to other driving games there were so few tracks. Honestly felt like 20 times less content than say for example, driveclub.

Hope this is better.

op_ivy

LOOKS good. I remember being so let down by the last dirt game I tried, it was either Dirt 2 or 3.

So, so limited, compared to other driving games there were so few tracks. Honestly felt like 20 times less content than say for example, driveclub.

Hope this is better.

Still only 5 rally environments, but virtually unlimited tracks in each

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I think Dirt Rally might still be better simulation yeah, but that's just after 90 min session (only 30 in Sim Mode).

Huh, well that's not what I wanted to hear. I look very forward to reading the upcoming reviews to see how this turns out, I hope I end up buying it.

Is there a good "arcade" driving video?

And is there gymkhana in the game???
It's not really arcade-driving, it's just easier to make the car do what you want (brakes better on gravel, less understeer on entry, more controllable oversteer, easier to get the car to slide in hairpins etc.), so the difference is not very visible from what I've seen so far.

There is Gymkhana, but they don't call it that anymore.

Huh, well that's not what I wanted to hear. I look very forward to reading the upcoming reviews to see how this turns out, I hope I end up buying it.

I don't believe it was ever marketed as a sim. In fact Codemasters said from the outset it was going to more accessible than Dirt Rally.

Build upon the success of Dirt Rally is all the developer had to do, but no, as per they go and fuck it all up to accommodate their vision of what casual gamers want,

The handling looks shocking, bumper cars for the funnies, randomly generated tracks for what reason exactly? the whole point is to memorize and perfect a tracks corners.........

I hope this is Codemasters Forza Horizon and the sim-like is next year. Please God.

la_briola

Build upon the success of Dirt Rally is all the developer had to do, but no, as per they go and fuck it all up to accommodate their vision of what casual gamers want,

The handling looks shocking, bumper cars for the funnies, randomly generated tracks for what reason exactly? the whole point is to memorize and perfect a tracks corners.........

I hope this is Codemasters Forza Horizon and the sim-like is next year. Please God.

Just play in simulation mode?

Tommi84

the whole point is to memorize and perfect a tracks corners.........
But rally is like... exactly the OPPOSITE though o_O. Not knowing what is behind next corner makes you focus on the pace notes and makes the game so much more thrilling. It never is about perfecting the corner, it's about surviving till the end of the stage

Frostman

Wait.... so this isn't going to be as good as Dirt Rally? (For simulation drivers). Codemaster have said this game would include the best of both worlds.

Will be waiting for reviews.

op_ivy

Wait.... so this isn't going to be as good as Dirt Rally? (For simulation drivers). Codemaster have said this game would include the best of both worlds.

Will be waiting for reviews.

While even one impression saying that dirt 4s sim handling is a downgrade from rally is cause for concern, it's also an outlier and goes against what everyone else is saying.

Still, wouldn't be a bad idea to wait after launch and hear impressions.

Mengy

Landrush looks so dumb.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the rallycross nor landrush stuff. I'd happily give up all of both of them just to get a few hill climb rally tracks in the game, sadly I don't think DiRT 4 is going to have any hill climbs at all, so that means I won't be able to uninstall DiRT Rally for a long time yet.

DiRT 4 seems to be much more of a broad appeal game than a more direct rally experience like DiRT Rally was, which is why I'm a tad pensive about it yet and will be waiting for consumer reviews before buying it. I remember I bought DiRT Rally the moment I learned about it simply because Codemasters said it was going to be a rally focused sim experience, man that was music to my ears!

I guess the game I really want is DiRT Rally 2, not DiRT 4?

Very stoked for next week. Loved DR but confident CM can walk the line. Man I'm gonna miss some of the environments from DR though - RIP Greece :(

??

That is categorically not the "whole point" of rally, quite the opposite. What would the role of the co-driver be if tracks were meant to be memorized?

The release of this game really caught me be surprise. Didn't know it was next week. I thought it was still a few months out.

Feels like it was just announced.

Google what rally is.

op_ivy

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the rallycross nor landrush stuff. I'd happily give up all of both of them just to get a few hill climb rally tracks in the game, sadly I don't think DiRT 4 is going to have any hill climbs at all, so that means I won't be able to uninstall DiRT Rally for a long time yet.

DiRT 4 seems to be much more of a broad appeal game than a more direct rally experience like DiRT Rally was, which is why I'm a tad pensive about it yet and will be waiting for consumer reviews before buying it. I remember I bought DiRT Rally the moment I learned about it simply because Codemasters said it was going to be a rally focused sim experience, man that was music to my ears!

I guess the game I really want is DiRT Rally 2, not DiRT 4?

This so much. I'd trade rallycross, landrush, and even DR's hill climb for a few more rally environments.

Still though, this has 5 environments like rally, but with limitless tracks. Trying not to overlook that through all the nonsense I have no interest in.

What are we, a week away now? MUCH HYPE

Let me express some concern with the short cycle between DiRT Rally and DiRT 4 that'll probably be even more prevalent on console since it's only been about a year since DiRT Rally released there.

For that, let me guess some typical reactions to DiRT 4:
- "Well, I already got DiRT Rally, I don't need another Rally game right now, I'll skip this or buy it when it's cheap as dirt"
- "DiRT Rally was much more unforgiving than I thought. Too hard for me and the career mode was super barebones, now they're adressing these shortcomings with DiRT 4? Well great. I'm not gonna buy a new game for easier handling."
- "Almost no new cars, no Hillclimb, only 2 more Rallycross tracks, only 5 environments for the rally stage generator, sim handling only got minor improvements and they're catering to the Gymkhana and arcade handling crowd again, -.-"
- "Gran Turismo Sport, Forza 7, Project CARS 2 will be out this year, I'm gonna buy 1 maybe 2 racing games this year and since I already own DiRT Rally, DiRT 4 is not making it 2017, sorry Codies"
- "DiRT Rally was awesome, Codemasters are back(!), now this awesome improved sound and nearly infinite Rally stages! I'm so in! HYPE!!"

Now about what I think might have been a better solution:
- Do what The Crew did and patch updated car models, sounds, shaders and the Gamer handling model into DiRT Rally for free.
- Make the Rally school a cheap DLC, sell the new regular rally cars in car packs as DLC,
- sell the track generator as DLC for a premium price (like $25),
- sell the trucks and buggies as another big DLC pack and
- the Rallycross content in a smaller DLC.
This would need some clever, cool and very transparent marketing (admittedly, not easy, The Crew didn't do a great job there) with an "this is basically a NEW GAME" edition that contains original DiRT Rally with all the new stuff in a $50 package, but basically nobody would have felt "milked" by the short cycle between DiRT games.

I'm not a monetization expert, but I'd say this would have made about the same amount of money that DiRT 4 will make, but in a shorter time (because many people will choose to wait for a price drop in a year packed with racing games) and with a better feel about how awesome Codemasters is as a dev studio that treats their customers really cool and how great they support their games after release. Plus: People are somewhat used to DLC prices not dropping anywhere near as fast as full games (more incentive to just get it right away or buy it later as an impulse buy, not waiting further for a sale).

Mengy

Let me express some concern with the short cycle between DiRT Rally and DiRT 4 that'll probably be even more prevalent on console since it's only been about a year since DiRT Rally released there.

- "Well, I already got DiRT Rally, I don't need another Rally game right now, I'll skip this or buy it when it's cheap as dirt"
- "DiRT Rally was much more unforgiving than I thought. Too hard for me and the career mode was super barebones, now they're adressing these shortcomings with DiRT 4? Well great. I'm not gonna buy a new game for easier handling."
- "Almost no new cars, no Hillclimb, only 2 more Rallycross tracks, only 5 environments for the rally stage generator, sim handling only got minor improvements and they're catering to the Gymkhana and arcade handling crowd again, -.-"
- "Gran Turismo Sport, Forza 7, Project CARS 2 will be out this year, I'm gonna buy 1 maybe 2 racing games this year and since I already own DiRT Rally, DiRT 4 is not making it 2017, sorry Codies"
- "DiRT Rally was awesome, Codemasters are back(!), now this awesome improved sound and nearly infinite Rally stages! I'm so in! HYPE!!"

- Do what The Crew did and patch updated car models, sounds, shaders and the Gamer handling model into DiRT Rally for free.
- Make the Rally school a cheap DLC, sell the new regular rally cars in car packs as DLC,
This would need some clever, cool and very transparent marketing (admittedly, not easy, The Crew didn't do a great job there) with an "this is basically a NEW GAME" edition that contains original DiRT Rally with all the new stuff in a $50 package, but basically nobody would have felt "milked" by the short cycle between DiRT games.

I'm not a monetization expert, but I'd say this would have made about the same amount of money that DiRT 4 will make, but in a shorter time (because many people will choose to wait for a price drop in a year packed with racing games) and with a better feel about how awesome Codemasters is as a dev studio that treats their customers really cool and how great they support their games after release. Plus: People are somewhat used to DLC prices not dropping anywhere near as fast as full games (more incentive to just get it right away or buy it later as an impulse buy, not waiting further for a sale).

Yeah, that sounds cool. I was ready to spend gobs of money on DiRT Rally DLC but they just never made any. If DiRT 4 can be played while ignoring rallycross and landrush and if there is sufficient actual rally content for me, with at least as good of a sim design as DiRT Rally had, then I'll be buying DiRT 4. If it's less of a rally game than DR was and just a newer DiRT 3 then I probably won't buy it, as I really didn't care for DiRT 3 much.

op_ivy

i know its a bad word for some, but i do hope dirt 4 was built more around the GaaS model. i want expansions of new environments for rally (and i suppose they could expand the track selection in other modes too, but i wont buy em) and have them be incorporated in multi as well as single player careers.

wouwie

Yeah, that sounds cool. I was ready to spend gobs of money on DiRT Rally DLC but they just never made any. If DiRT 4 can be played while ignoring rallycross and landrush and if there is sufficient actual rally content for me, with at least as good of a sim design as DiRT Rally had, then I'll be buying DiRT 4. If it's less of a rally game than DR was and just a newer DiRT 3 then I probably won't buy it, as I really didn't care for DiRT 3 much.

I have a feeling that career mode will mean having to go through every discipline. Since i'm not interested in any discipline other than pure rally, that would mean skipping the career mode, which would most probably mean not unlocking any new cars and such. All i really wanted was Dirt Rally 2, which i would have been super excited about. I will wait for player impressions and feedback on how much of the non rally stuff can be skipped and how much of a game remains if doing so.

Mengy

Wow, those are some great videos by someone who can actually drive well no less! The foggy part on that one stage was a nice surprise.

And the replays look very much improved too. Finally we can watch the whole replay from an overhead heli cam!

Yeah that's the first non-Codemasters footage where someone has pushed the cars a bit. Interesting to see the tracks get a little more technical as he posts more videos.

Random shots that caught my eye

5m9YuS9.gif

Biwp4aA.gif

GcfGfXL.gif

UbTmyeI.gif

DD

Wow, those are some great videos by someone who can actually drive well no less! The foggy part on that one stage was a nice surprise.

And the replays look very much improved too. Finally we can watch the whole replay from an overhead heli cam!

Also worth to note that he's using the simulation handling with the controller.

Frostman

When can we expect reviews to hit? Post release?

Edit: those videos are great as well, reading the comments from the poster saying the handling is better than Dirt Rally is encouraging too.

Mengy

Edit: those videos are great as well, reading the comments from the poster saying the handling is better than Dirt Rally is encouraging too.

Yeah, I read those too. He says that DiRT 4 models weight transitions better, quite a few of his comments were very encouraging.

For certain the replays look better, I'm also impressed with the graphics so far, and DiRT Rally looked great already. And the weather effects seem much improved too. All very promising.

Now I just need to find out how the career mode works, and whether or not I can totally ignore the rallycross and landrush stuff. If I can, then I'm pretty sure I'm buying it a day or two after launch.

op_ivy

That Peugeot 306 video... did he drive next to a forest fire!? What the heck was with the fog turning super dense and orange? Bug?

Tommi84

The complete lack of ANY car reflection in that puddle is a bit strange. Not that I'm complaining much, Rally is NOT about graphics, but still. Vividly obvious that something is wrong here ;)

More worrying is the loading times. Don't remember it took that long to load the stage in Dirt Rally :(.

DD

Career mode

EDIT: if I'm not getting it wrong, it seems that you can focus on a single dicipline and never touch the others.

EDIT 2: Nicky Grist's voice is hitting my nostalgia spots...

drotahorror

Game is only $40 @ amazon on PS4/XB1. Not sure why it's $60 on steam though. I preordered on steam but I'm a bit annoyed that it's so much cheaper, physically, on consoles.

On amazon you can grab Wipeout Omega and DiRT 4 for $75 total. Almost the cost of a normal retail game. Insane value.

*I think most previews we're seeing are the PS4 version, that's pretty much been the case for a while though.

Here's a video of some rain gameplay - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR_btC0w1h4

Honestly, I think it looks pretty realistic. It's not as insane as Driveclub's but it does look nice. Can't wait to drive in that weather.

Fox Mulder

Game is only $40 @ amazon on PS4/XB1. Not sure why it's $60 on steam though. I preordered on steam but I'm a bit annoyed that it's so much cheaper, physically, on consoles.

On amazon you can grab Wipeout Omega and DiRT 4 for $75 total. Almost the cost of a normal retail game. Insane value.

Oh well. Already paid MS $60 for it digitally and it's waiting on my xb1.

Top Bottom