• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemasters just announced Dirt 4

I hope so. I do believe that a map generator can build up good stuff, but I don't think they'll nail it on their first try. I'm talking about those huge, beautiful and wide vistas we had with Dirt Rally, specially in Wales and Greece.
Technically it's at least their 3rd try. DiRT 2 and GRID 2 had procedural track generation (both were super underdeveloped).

finley83

Banned
Just to clarify, this is what I was going off:

The only real life tracks will be in Rallycross and the rally school but the locations are all set in real places.

Everything is procedural for Rally Stages

The level designers do everything they always did but they are making pieces of stage now instead of the whole thing. Your Stage brings it all together.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Technically it's at least their 3rd try. DiRT 2 and GRID 2 had procedural track generation (both were super underdeveloped).

I’ve played a ton of Dirt 2 and it most certainly did not have procedural tracks. Not even a little bit.

KdotIX

I think it was only GRiD 2 which had procedural track generation with the LiveRoutes feature. But yes, that wasn't too great, I think the execution was poor. Hopefully it's a bit more developed with Dirt 4 and allows the user to actually "build" their course as opposed to the game just choosing parts of a pre-created track and throwing them up at the user on the fly as they race. That's what GRiD 2 done, I think that's why it was poorly executed.

Makikou

Just to clarify, this is what I was going off:

This sucks tbh. Real-life rally stages would be so much better. Procedural is always procedural and it wont ever match what some person has made up in real-life when they have to consider the challenges they are facing.

Personally I dislike the way that they describe the split between arcade and simulation handling. I don't see myself as a casual gamer and I enjoy Dirt Rally, but I also enjoyed the arcade handling models of the previous Dirt games.

I don't think playing arcade racing games or wanting to play with an arcade handling model is synonymous with wanting a casual, or easier gaming experience. Wanting something to be more accessible doesn't mean that you're a casual gamer, sometimes it's just nice to be able to focus on different things. With an arcade racing model and events like Rally cross, you can really throw the car around the corners, and it gives you the opportunity to focus on the racing, instead of cautious management of weight shifting and whatnot.

It just feels the way they describe that mode that they almost look down upon it, and there's no sense in making players feel as though it's the 'easy mode' or something like that. It's just a different way to play the game, I play everything from Dirt Rally and Project Cars, to Forza Horizon and Mario Kart 8. Wanting different experiences doesn't suddenly make me a 'casual gamer', and wanting to focus on the racing and speed instead of micromanagement of weight shifts and whatnot doesn't mean that I want an easier experience either.

The handling selection screen that Rushy showed (shown below) us really exemplifies this, describing realistic as 'I want to be challenged' and 'normal' as 'I'm here for fun'.

NvNWAge.png

It doesn't make any sense. Should we assume that people playing with sim handling aren't having fun? That those playing with arcade (normal) handling don't want to be challenged? I think the messaging on this could be much better than it is.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I think you are making a big deal out of (next to) nothing.

I’ve played a ton of Dirt 2 and it most certainly did not have procedural tracks. Not even a little bit.

Dirt 2 didn't have anything like that for sure.

What do you mean? care to develop that answer?

I think it was only GRiD 2 which had procedural track generation with the LiveRoutes feature.

I'm absolutely sure about GRiD 2. And I remember rallying point-to-point in an afraca'ish setting with very not-tight corners that gave me a different route with every start. I don't remember it well and I only remember it at all because I've heard somebody mention that on a podcast recently after the DiRT 4 announcement. Was it DiRT 1? Was it a Colin McRae game?? Did the podcast guy remember that wrong and my brain made up imagery that fitted that? *scratches head*

MaxiLive

I think you are making a big deal out of (next to) nothing.

Agreed, seems a like they are reading into it a little too much.

Also that text isn't meant for simulation peeps as they know exactly what Simulation and Normal mean for a game like this. Where as someone who plays casual racers/games or is coming from Dirt 3 this text at least points them in the right direction when it comes to difficulty.

2scoops

Yea, I don't understand it either. It requires more concentration than any game I've ever played, other sims included. If you lapse for one moment like " man, i pulled off that corner well," you'll miss the next segment and fail miserably. It can be exhausting at times, but in a good way.

Agreed. Throwing the Lancia Stratos flat out around Sweden is absolutely terrifying. And exciting.

Totally missed this announcement. Awesome news from my favorite racing series. I love that they are blending the DiRT Rally experience with the classic DiRT experience - though I'm a bit cautious that may be spreading themselves a bit them development-wise.

As amazing as DiRT Rally was - and it was amazing - it was definitely hurt by lack of variety. Little sad to hear there are only 5 rally environments here, even if there is a stage generator. And no more Greece? :(

Personally, I think if you took Dirt Rally's driving model out of the 'sim' context, and plonked it down into an arcade racer, no one would even notice.

jacobeid

Banned
Personally, I think if you took Dirt Rally's driving model out of the 'sim' context, and plonked it down into an arcade racer, no one would even notice.

I don't think I would go that far but some slight tweaking and more room for error in the tracks would likely make the game more playa me to a mass audience.

op_ivy

I would notice and I wouldn't play it.

Yeah, i mean the sim handling was only part of the reason dirt rally was so good. Another giant piece of the puzzle is accurate rally stages that are loaded with lots of narrow bits, uneven terrain, bumps, and hazards of all sorts. Ill wait till we see a "complex" generated track before worrying, but the gameplay footage seems to be missing a lot of the complexity (for lack of a better term) of dirt rally and looks closer to dirt 2/3.

16 years on and v-rally 2 psx is still the goat for rally course creation to me:

maxresdefault.jpg

Pic is from dreamcast which was the same thing but had 100 segments instead of 50, but the dreamcast version of v-rally 2 is poop compared to the playstation original.

Gek54

Codies just about nailed the dash view in Dirt Rally and Dirt4, I really wish Turn10 would follow suit. Few games get that close to giving us such a realistic perspective.

AmyS

Please be 60fps on consoles.

At least on PS4 Pro and/or Scorpio

Edit: Sounds like it might be 60fps on base PS4, going by an earlier post in this thread.

I attended the preview event today and can confirm that it does run at 60fps on PS4... sort of. The HUD elements were definitely 60fps, however, the game seemed to dip at times depending on the amount of action on the screen.

Unfortunately, direct capture was not available. I'm uploading a video of purely gameplay (word of warning: I am terrible). If anyone is interested in seeing my early impressions you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1R5erH4Rew

I haven't played any of games in the Dirt series so I can't really comment too much on how it compares to the older games. I can imagine people who own steering wheels are going to love this game.

Hopefully the final release is 60fps.

op_ivy

Please be 60fps on consoles.

At least on PS4 Pro and/or Scorpio

Edit: Sounds like it might be 60fps on base PS4, going by an earlier post in this thread.

Hopefully the final release is 60fps.

i cant imagine it wont be... possibly with minor hicups

I attended the preview event today and can confirm that it does run at 60fps on PS4... sort of. The HUD elements were definitely 60fps, however, the game seemed to dip at times depending on the amount of action on the screen.

Unfortunately, direct capture was not available. I'm uploading a video of purely gameplay (word of warning: I am terrible). If anyone is interested in seeing my early impressions you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1R5erH4Rew

I haven't played any of games in the Dirt series so I can't really comment too much on how it compares to the older games. I can imagine people who own steering wheels are going to love this game.

This is probably the 3rd preview of the game I've seen where the person has no prior experience with the series - just odd, not a criticism. I would imagine the people being invited or agreeing to attend these events would have some investment in the series.

We have no idea what the release date is on this yet, correct? Soooo excited - it sounds exactly like the blend of DiRT Rally and the prior DiRT games I was hoping for.

op_ivy

Tinúviel;232255016 said:
DIRT 4 ROAD BOOK – 17/03/17

https://dirtgame.com/blog/45286

It looks like we're finally getting GRiD 1's team creation/management system back.It was a huge part in GRiD 1 and it maybe the reason why it's still one of the best Codie game for most of the people.

this sounds great. the team management aspect in dirt rally... i never really bothered to learn and use. seemed stupid and unnecessary.

Why is this still happening in 2017?

untitled-3nyr15.jpg

untitled-1fcqvt.jpg

Needs a customizable hud and camera like AC pc, there should also be an option to switch out the shitty basic tach for those based on the real cars.

Fix this shit Rushy!

op_ivy

LookiLooking good! Still wish this was dirt rally 2 and focused more on rally than shit like landrush

drotahorror

I hope they still keep the emotion and tone of the co-driver's voice in there. I liked when I wrecked and the co-driver sounded so disappointed in me.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
DiRT 4 - New PS4 gameplay! Rally, Landrush and Rallycross races. with no commentary after the intro.,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLiEaOOdtG8&feature=youtu.be

Eh, I don't care much for Landrush nor Rallycross. The best thing about DiRT Rally was that it was pure Rally racing. I mean sure rallycross was there but I ignored that, lol.

Still interested, but I still think I would have just preferred a pure DiRT Rally 2 than a "everything under the sink" DiRT 4. Didn't care for that trailer. Codemasters keeps pushing that variety stuff in their rally games though so I guess there must be an audience for it out there?

Top Bottom