• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Command & Conquer Generals 2 Goes Free To Play [Up: Trailer]

I'm trying to figure out how to implement a F2P model in an RTS without making it pay to win or breaking competitive balance.

I got nothing.

Age of Empires online is an RTS with a free to play model. You start with a couple of civilizations but you can buy more. I think you also reach a point where you need the advanced units which have to be purchased. Not completely sure on that one. Maybe someone who has some experience with the game can elaborate.

All hope rests with Company of Heroes 2 now.

Age of Empires online is an RTS with a free to play model. You start with a couple of civilizations but you can buy more. I think you also reach a point where you need the advanced units which have to be purchased. Not completely sure on that one. Maybe someone who has some experience with the game can elaborate.

AoE F2P though has single player

MDSLKTR

Bububu I thought they brought in bioware to help increase the immersion and emotional engagement for the player as they experience the story..
It went from my most anticipated pc game to an aftertought, shame because the trailer really makes me want to play it.
Nice focus group study, fucking jackasses.

Aesthet1c

I still want to be optimistic since I loved Generals so much.

The only way I can see this really working is doing something like Hero Academy.

Maybe giving you USA for free, but the other factions are like $15 a piece. Plus you can buy various custom colors/flags.

However I definitely see it being more like pay to unlock units, special abilities, super powers, etc.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
What is up with these douche-monkey ass-clowns? Goddamn numbnuts in a leotard - I'm so friggin' pissed right now.

I don't want to play C&C with my friends. I don't want social bullshit. I don't want microtransaction bullshit. I don't want always-online bullshit.

I just want the core of the game to be built around decent friggin' campaign with base-building and less rock-paper-scissors bullshit with all the modern bells and whistles. Anything else (like MP + Mod Support) is cream on top. Just like the old days when games had heart and spunk and were enjoyable to play instead trying so hard to be 'visceral', 'dynamic', 'gritty' and other reject words that the idiots at marketing throw around with gay abandon. Why is that so friggin' hard to comprehend?

Chrissakes Almighty. God damn it EA.

We can expect one of three ways this can go: an RTS with a 'leveling' system (like terrible C&C4), a 'rune upgrade' system (like LoL), or unit 'unlock' system (like ME3 multiplayer) - all of which are terrible ideas for RTSs.

EA has shown that they have no clue how to make a proper F2P game, so what we're witnessing here is the final nail in the coffin for the C&C series.

Glass Rebel

Reading this thread it sounds like people were looking forward to an EA strategy game before this announcement.

Surely you guys weren't that naive, right?

F!ReW!Re

We can expect one of three ways this can go: an RTS with a 'leveling' system (like terrible C&C4), a 'rune upgrade' system (like LoL), or unit 'unlock' system (like ME3 multiplayer) - all of which are terrible ideas for RTSs.

EA has shown that they have no clue how to make a proper F2P game, so what we're witnessing here is the final nail in the coffin for the C&C series.

The only way I see this not failing if they are able to bring out a top notch RTS game, where just the cosmetic items/unit skins are something you can choose to pay for, everything else is unlocked from the get go. Like Valve does with DOTA 2...

But like you said, knowing EA this is not going to happen.

ultron87

I'm trying to figure out how to implement a F2P model in an RTS without making it pay to win or breaking competitive balance.

I got nothing.

I think buyable factions is the only way to do it that doesn't ruin everything. Purchaseable Commander abilities could work if the free ones aren't terrible.

Tacitus_

Reading this thread it sounds like people were looking forward to an EA strategy game before this announcement.

Surely you guys weren't that naive, right?

Generals 2 could've been good. I don't think they published any bad details about it (other than being Command&Conquercraft) before now.

The only way I see this not failing if they are able to bring out a top notch RTS game, where just the cosmetic items/unit skins are something you can choose to pay for, everything else is unlocked from the get go. Like Valve does with DOTA 2...

But like you said, knowing EA this is not going to happen.

Keeping microtransaction stuff limited to vanity and cosmetic items is about the only way I've seen F2P games work.

ME3's MP I guess works ok too but that works mostly because its only coop and not competitive so balancing isn't as much of an issue.

I just don't see this working well. Never mind that after watching the trailer it looked bland as all hell visually. Technically proficient but artistically boring.

In any event, EA can keep spinning their wheels on C&C while I'll be enjoying Company of Heroes 2 and Rome 2.

Isomac

Doesn't the EA understand that most play these games for the cheesy SP campaigns. This game is useless for me.

Pay 5€ to sell opponents construction yard!
Achievement progress: 1/100

WOOT!

Woorloog

Banned
I have no issues with this, other than i'm wondering where's the single player.
If there is not single player, i won't be playing this as i prefer shooters as my multiplayer game.

inky

Edit: When Sim City went online only, I was fully expecting this game to be too, but not really F2P. Wasn't really looking forward to this one anyways, but it sounds as shitty as only EA knows how.

The starting civs in AoEO are (very) limited. They are more like trial versions of the ones you buy with money. When you buy them, you unlock more missions, storage space (there's crafting and loot), equipping rare/epic loot, advisors, and the advanced units you talk about (can't be bought separately), etc.

They just recently modified the game to add micro-transactions, but it's mostly cosmetics for your units. The game is doing OK, but not great. The Single Player is somewhat entertaining, but there's not really much to it.

Slightly disappointed but I kinda guessed it might be. Sucks if there isn't a campaign.

I think we're gonna be seeing a lot more f2p, not only is is profitable long term, it is also a convenient online only DRM that is impossible to pirate.

ibaxuf5sy4da6gmjie.gif

Saty

No SP\Campaign at launch....begs the question: will you need to buy it as a 'microtransaction' when it does launch?

Cheddahz

Banned
Not a big fan of RTS games, but it's sad to see EA ruin a great and loved series by just messing up the game altogether (doesn't help they have also run Bioware into the ground and they are developing this)

patapuf

I'm not outraged at this being F2P and i was only interested in the multi anway.

However unlocking new units and Pay to Win are gamebrakers and i doubt EA can resist the temptation.

kurahador

Glad I'm not a fan of CnC Generals.

Still, didn't the first one focuses more on multiplayer?
I remember playing the single player is basically like playing a custom skirmish anyway.

dLMN8R

Look guys, you can bring up Age of Empires, or Tribes, or MechWarrior all you want. Yeah, there are some amazing, high-quality, free-to-play games out there that are fair.

Electronic Arts does not make "fair" free to play games. They espouse blatant and overt pay to win strategies.

http://www.slideshare.net/bcousins/paying-to-win

Absolutely 0 interest in this game now.

Noricart

EA: F2P is the future!
Me: No fuck that.
Actually this has just made me realized how much gaming has changed over one generation of consoles. And the change sucks.
I finished RA2 a day ago. I saw Dustin Browder's name at the end of the credits. Fate is cruel.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This really sucks.

I still play C&C Generals single player. One of the best RTS ever.

Not going to touch this.
The campaign in Generals was like an hour long and pretty much made no sense. I'd rather have AI skirmish.

It is one of the best RTSs ever though.

mr stroke

My guess-

1-Someone thought it was a great idea to reboot C&C with Bioware&Frostbite.
2-They slap Generals 2 on it, because its what the fans have been clamoring for.
3-A year in, EA realizes the game looks like Ass, so instead of canning it, they salvage whats left, drop the Generals name and make it F2P
4-EA hires the entire WestWood team back to work on a new Generals 2(Please be true?)

Tacitus_

My guess-

1-Someone thought it was a great idea to reboot C&C with Bioware&Frostbite.
2-They slap Generals 2 on it, because its what the fans have been clamoring for.
3-A year in, EA realizes the game looks like Ass, so instead of canning it, they salvage whats left, drop the Generals name and make it F2P
4-EA hires the entire WestWood team back to work on a new Generals 2(Please be true?)

Surely you mean rebooted Tiberian Twilight. I WANT MORE KANE

Top Bottom