• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Command & Conquer Generals 2 Goes Free To Play [Up: Trailer]

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Look guys, you can bring up Age of Empires, or Tribes, or MechWarrior all you want. Yeah, there are some amazing, high-quality, free-to-play games out there that are fair.

Electronic Arts does not make "fair" free to play games. They espouse blatant and overt pay to win strategies.

http://www.slideshare.net/bcousins/paying-to-win
People really should watch this. Though I'm going to say he sounded like an annoying prat anytime he described a reaction to their changes, it makes it clear what they are doing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
End of Nations is another recent F2P RTS. If it's successful I expect EA to just copy them. It's from the original Westwood crew.

Pooya

How can anyone be against this? Anyways, i'm not going to condemn the game until I see the payment model.

some in the c&c mod community didn't like it because they assumed like BF3 it won't be mod-able. that's a moot point now :p

other thing, I don't think it's engine's fault, but people look at Army of Two, Medal of Honor etc and think it's a brown game must be FB2. BF3 wasn't really brown imo. original Generals is a very very colorful game, that trailer didn't feel like Generals at all to me. bad art direction imo. it's not just desert/middle east map, that had these two. but units and all the other effects gave a really colorful image, the game still holds up imo, not ugly looking at all. just like WarCraft III.

sp3000

How ironic that the former Westwood guys are making a free to play game also in End of Nations and now EA is copying that also

RTS gaming is dead. I can't wait to pay $10 for an ion cannon in game

People really should watch this. Though I'm going to say he sounded like an annoying prat anytime he described a reaction to their changes, it makes it clear what they are doing.
The part that addresses the gamers used to participate to forums is interesting. It's very telling. Mostly about us and our habits...

When Bioware said they were making C&C Generals 2 i started drooling, it was a dream and now comes EA to crash it????

WTF, EA likes giving us reasons to hate them, they were real good during the first hafl of the generation, i guess they notice it and decided that they were far away from the company usual douchebagery and decided to buy Bioware to ruin Dragon Age, dumb Mass Effect, then block Porsches in Forza and now this.

Why they have to be such a douchebags?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Wow, the gaming disappointments are so fast nowadays that they don't even give you the chance to get excited before they crush your dreams far before the game is even close to release.

Welp.

inky

RA3 is great. I was pretty cautious prelaunch but man did it make my worries go away.

I don't know, I didn't like it. Maybe I was expecting it to be too much like RA2 (factions, units, even the way resource management worked) which is one of my favorite games ever.

CNC4 is fucking shit.

That I can agree with.

The alliance one they had that was also f2p was terrible, but obviously this one is an RTS so they can't use the same approach.

I have little faith that they'll be able to pull of a good f2p model though.

Tacitus_

I don't know, I didn't like it. Maybe I was expecting it to be too much like RA2 (factions, units, even the way resource management worked) which is one of my favorite games ever.

Yeah, I can see why you'd be disappointed. I went in expecting a new RA game with jacked up silliness from RA2s mindcontrolled giant squid and fun gameplay and they delivered on it.

In a single generation my two favorite RTS franchises have been destroyed. Why did this happen to Age of Empires and Command and Conquer?

Run-M-Run

My guess-

1-Someone thought it was a great idea to reboot C&C with Bioware&Frostbite.
2-They slap Generals 2 on it, because its what the fans have been clamoring for.
3-A year in, EA realizes the game looks like Ass, so instead of canning it, they salvage whats left, drop the Generals name and make it F2P

It's funny how similar this might be to TibTwilight. 4 was originally supposed to be C&C Arena F2P with microtransactions, but then they decided it looked like shit and slapped a crappy ending to the Tiberium storyline and a minimal budget to finish what they already had built, while calling it the "epic conclusion to the 15 year old saga". This way they could at least make some money back(and it probably worked).

FStop7

Banned
Wait, this is the game that was announced at the VGAs? The one with a week of buildup as being a surprise announcement of "Bioware's new game"?

Wow.

Xater

I don#t come to C&C for the Mp I come for the bat shit insane SP campaign. Also EA is the worst when it comes to F2P and I have no hope that it will even be close balance wise to something like Starcraft 2.

If you really want a MP RTS then just buy Starcraft 2 with no microtransactions required.

china_hackeroreq7.png

They will never notice their money is missing.
What a great game that was :(

Consul

For this, I shall boycott EA until the end of times. Sports games I can live without but losing battlefield hurts - ah well.

Pooya

Sorry for reviving this long gone thread, but I've just recieved an alpha invite for this. Or at least I think it's this.

Link : Image

man, the art looks like something out of Civ boxarts, lol.

It's pretty sad times for RTS genre, only StarCraft II is left pretty much. Everything else is moba or p2w. Relic's latest effort is quite underwhelming too.

I really hope EA dosen't fuck this up. Generals was my first RTS, and I love it to death. If it gets ruined like everything else EA ruined over the years, I wont even torrent another EA game

So I've gone through a couple of matches and it seems very barebone. It is alpha though. The graphics is good in my own opinion, but I couldn't give you more impressions because I just played one single match with the AI. The Summer Sale games is taking my attention.

EDIT: Theres 3 commanders free to use from the start and you have the option of buying more commanders from the in-game store. These commanders have different attributes and special abilities and such. Make of it what you will.

Top Bottom