• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

J4g3r

iSjCJ787YT5WM.jpg

ib0zqz6drlr2bW.jpg

ixjhBuIBrzSNB.jpg

Caayn

Well why wouldn't it? You play video games, not screenshots. If it looks better in motion than in a screenshot, that's fantastic!
Almost every game looks better in motion than in still screenshots. The "it looks better in motion" disclaimer is like saying the sky is blue imo.

Edit: At the one below me. That's why I said "allmost" instead of "all" ;)

nib95

Banned
Almost every game looks better in motion than in still screenshots. The "it looks better in motion" disclaimer is like saying the sky is blue imo.

Not always. Some games that suffer from shimmering etc look worse. But the level of difference between stills and motion varies between games. Usually dependant on the amount of post processing and motion blur on offer.

Timu

"it looks better in motion" seems to be the theme a lot lately.
You know, I never understood this really. An uncompressed screenshot(not compressed like PS4 Share) shows exactly what the game looks like what you see on your TV/monitor so a game can't look better in motion if it looks the same as it does in screenshots, otherwise screenshots of PC games would be meaningless if they magically looked better in motion than screens even though PC always had the uncompressed option to show exactly what it looks like in motion. Feel better in motion, maybe, but nothing is going to hide those graphical flaws in motion.

Take Mario Kart 8 for example: There are those who say it looks better in motion due to not noticing the jaggies as much like you do in screens. Well, the jaggies were always there even if you couldn't see them from far away and every time I play the game less than 5 feet away I notice the jaggies all the time even in motion. I play all my console games on the same monitor for my PC so I'll notice them regardless.

I'm guessing they mean the graphical effects like motion blur are better in motion or something like that.

oxidax

Oh baby.. (Mistakenly chose to upload the picture from the pad and not from the TV on this one. Apologies for the crappy res)
ibzyX4Spo3ztCM.jpg

ikzzGgaROU2gx.jpg

iGljYjOvg0L3h.jpg

-griffy-

Banned
You know, I never understood this really. An uncompressed screenshot(not compressed like PS4 Share) shows exactly what the game looks like what you see on your TV/monitor so a game can't look better in motion if it looks the same as it does in screenshots, otherwise screenshots of PC games would be meaningless if they magically looked better in motion than screens even though PC always had the uncompressed option to show exactly what it looks like in motion. Feel better in motion, maybe, but nothing is going to hide those graphical flaws in motion.

Take Mario Kart 8 for example: There are those who say it looks better in motion due to not noticing the jaggies as much like you do in screens. Well, the jaggies were always there even if you couldn't see them from far away and every time I play the game less than 5 feet away I notice the jaggies all the time even in motion. I play all my console games on the same monitor for my PC so I'll notice them regardless.

I'm guessing they mean the graphical effects like motion blur are better in motion or something like that.
A still shot can't convey any kind of dynamic effects like physics affecting complex particle systems or cloth, foliage swaying in the wind, little moving parts in mechanical objects, or even the way a speculative highlight moves across the hood of a car. Games have a lot of complex things going on these days, so it's not strange for a still shot to highlight any flaws that are more easily forgiven when you see the sum of all the moving parts in motion as you actually play.

A still shot can't convey any kind of dynamic effects like physics affecting complex particle systems or cloth, foliage swaying in the wind, little moving parts in mechanical objects, or even the way a speculative highlight moves across the hood of a car. Games have a lot of complex things going on these days, so it's not strange for a still shot to highlight any flaws that are more easily forgiven when you see the sum of all the moving parts in motion as you actually play.

yea but you can still always capture the beauty of a game in screen shots. personally people that keep on saying it looks better in motion for any game are just trying to cover up the game's graphical short comings, for example killzone and SS look as good, if not better in screenshots, then in motion.

-griffy-

Banned
yea but you can still always capture the beauty of a game in screen shots. personally people that keep on saying it looks better in motion for any game are just trying to cover up the game's graphical short comings, for example killzone and SS look as good, if not better in screenshots, then in motion.
Well you can't really "always" capture the beauty of a game in screen shots, because by their very nature they are a singular moment. Screenshots can be great to show off a game but there are still fundamental things they just can't show by being a still image. And I think there are some games that just don't screenshot well since the still image doesn't convey their strengths.

Take a movie like Goodfellas, for example. There's a famous shot in that movie when the main character takes his girlfriend the back way into a club. It's one long take that starts in the street and ends with them at their table, it goes on for minutes and is incredibly dynamic and visual. You take any one frame from that shot and it would look completely unremarkable since it is unable to show you what makes the shot so impressive.

Timu

Hmm, to solve this take multiple screenshots of what's happening on screen(fastest and consistent way is to use AmaRecTV's screenshot function where you hold down the button), make a photo slideshow out of it, and there you go. Best way without losing quality at least.

thelastword

Banned
Awesome shots benzy, especially the last one. Are these cars on the same level as the GT5 intro movie?

What's up with The Evil Within though, it's letterboxed but it does not look native, why so blurry. It looks like a 1700 * 600 game upscaled to 1920*800. If not, that's the worse fxaa I've seen.

stryke

Well why wouldn't it? You play video games, not screenshots. If it looks better in motion than in a screenshot, that's fantastic!

It just seems to be an awfully convenience excuse lately when people get defensive.

No shit it can look better in motion, but I thought I was in a screenshot thread, not "in motion" thread.

ozfunghi

It just seems to be an awfully convenience excuse lately when people get defensive.

No shit it can look better in motion, but I thought I was in a screenshot thread, not "in motion" thread.

Yet screenshots are used to rate the graphics of a game(/console), even if that isn't the prime intention of the topic per se. However, a screenshot doesn't show how smooth a game runs, if there are torn frames, if the animation is nice, if it is 60fps or sub 30... so why shouldn't it be an argument? Motion doesn't make the screenshot look better, but it can make the game look better. Why would it have to be "a convenient excuse"?

sangreal

23qwerty, why are your driveclub shots 720p?

Will check in the morning,sure I just left it standard. Will update tomorrow guys.

it looks like your xbone is set to limited rgb so looking at those photomode shares on a PC monitor, they will appear washed out

I also keep mine ( along w/ my TV) at limited because the full output is broken on xbox one and my uploaded shots look the same

benzy

Eh, this post is very telling of your motives behind DC. You still haven't played DC so you're claims of the game not looking better in motion aren't backed up by any evidence, but instead you say the people who have actually played it are wrong. FH2 doesn't look so hot in some shots either, but I doubt the game looks as bad as those. You also never call out those shots and say they look like shit like you do for some of the DC ones in other threads. You even said GT5 looks better than DC... lol. You're attempt at stealth trolling isn't very stealthy.

Awesome shots benzy, especially the last one. Are these cars on the same level as the GT5 intro movie?

Yeah, the car modelling, details, and materials are pretty much on par with GT5's cars. The worst part about DC's cars are the jaggies though, some cars look really clean while others have roofs and bumpers that are noticeably flickery.

GT5's intro uses the same car models as in-game and photomode, just rendered in higher-res to get rid of the jaggies and give a super clean image quality. I think this is really just a testament to how incredible GT5's car models were on last gen consoles though. :p I won't be surprised at all if GT7's cars look considerably more realistic than DC's when they reveal it. DC's environments and lighting are on a whole different level though.

subieo.jpg

dsuftc.jpg

qmunkx.jpg

Top Bottom