• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couchjockeyz rumor: MP3, DLNA coming in later PS4 firmware update

Zach

I hope this is true. I don't know about you guys but I listen to music through my PS3 a fair bit (surround sound, man, can't beat it) so when Sony announced PS4 had a lack of .MP3 playback, it was a slight kick to the balls. Hope this news turns out to be true.

Me, too. Heck, I'm the one guy who actually still buys CDs and plays them on my console with surround sound, so I'm upset about no CD support, but what can you do?

I don't know if this source is realiable. But I do think Sony will fix this at some point. People seems to forget PS3 didn't have DLNA at launch.

Jburton

Banned
However, there isn't any time frame yet for said fw update, is there?

No, that's what I alluded to in my previous post ...... that's the bit these nobodies added.

Kagari has stated that DLNA and MP3 where always coming and have been pushed forward in priority due to the backlash.

MrDaravon

No, that's what I alluded to in my previous post ...... that's the bit these nobodies added.

Kagari has stated that DLNA and MP3 where always coming and have been pushed forward in priority due to the backlash.

It's great that they're doing this, but if they were always coming I'm not sure why they didn't list it as a feature coming later like some of the other things. Would have avoided the bulk of the backlash.

Couchjockz.com? Really, guys? This is clutching at straws...

Read the thread.

Mikey Jr.

Hopefully. Didn't really understand the shitstorm surrounding it, but hopefully they bring it back for you guys.

Xater

While they are at it, support for more video formats would be nice. What I am trying to say is: Give me MKV support! :)

Quick question: How reliable or close to Sony sources is Kagari? Always thought he was close to SqEnix , first time I hear he got insights on Sony. Any other precedents where he spilled the beans on Sony stuff?

bob page

S5uns3R.gif

curb

Banned
If it's true, I'm just happy that suspend/resume is coming sooner rather than later.

Custom MP3 soundtrack support will be great too.

Knew it, now the only question is when will that second update be coming. Even though it says late 2013/early 2014, I'm leaning toward it coming in 2014...

Jburton

Banned
DerZuhälter;88251501 said:
Quick question: How reliable or close to Sony sources is Kagari? Always thought he was close to SqEnix , first time I hear he got insights on Sony. Any other precedents where he spilled the beans on Sony stuff?

Well known to have sources close to or in Sony, in fact I thought Kagari was at Sony.

kadotsu

Banned
So how much does a licence for mp3 cost these days? Maybe Sony will go the opt in route like they did with Blu-Ray support. While we're at it did they say anything about

FLAC
OGG
MKV (probably least likely)

and other external source mp4 video playback support?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I would place money on this happening but I would not put my money on the couchjockeyz.

I think, more importantly, when someone does something you dislike, it is better to contact company representatives and explain why you demand a change rather than spam FUCK YOU!!! over and over.

IvorB

Read the thread.

Okay I read it now. Mods confirmed and subsequent FAQ change. That's great news. So can we freak out about custom live wallpapers now please? I would quite like that included as well...

From the FAQ:
Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?
No*.
*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities

Aw! This new Sony is so adorable.

Guerilla

I'm shocked such an expected legacy feature was excluded in the first place.

From what we know both companies are struggling to finish their firmwares on time so a good theory (not the only one though) is that essential gaming features come first, multimedia after. Even a tiny feature can create tons of bugs so if they're that time constrained they leave that stuff for later.

I told you this would happen, like, days ago.

It is good news.

I've got a heap of use out of the PS3 as a media server...but the wireless has always been pretty much borked. I was hoping to replace it with something that worked a bit better (cable + powerline not an option). Looks like I'll get the chance at some stage.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Shocked that the turnaround was that fast but it probably wasn't too hard to implement. It seems like it was just taken out as a sad attempt to promote Music Unlimited. Legacy Headset support is what I'm really looking forward to.

Vizzeh

Banned
Thats an incredibly quick update to what the people want... not a few months wait and excuses like 'we simply cant flick a switch'

Life cant get any better :) - well it will in 2-4 week's

Top Bottom